The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thebrewcrew

2020 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

They’re talking about the Flames pulling the wool over their eyes . I feel like they are doing that this whole draft.

it just sounds like we gained a few extra picks and did nothing with them. May as well have just taken Poirier with the Kuznetsov pick and it’s basically the same from here on out.

18 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

this was so cool. Really wish the nhl had found a way to do more of this and add some personality to the draft. 
the nfl did an awesome job with their draft but the NHLs has been lacking for sure

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

19  is too old now ?

he is 20 in feb. And got passed over last years draft and may not have been drafted this year...

I get that some are irked with the picks, but I mean what do we know?

Those of you that follow players up to the draft, I salute you.

I have no basis to complain.

The scouts have spent a lot of time watching these players.

Not just in NA, but in Europe.

I'll hold off complaining until after this year's results are in.

We have a Backlund style player, a hard hitting defensive guy, a pure offense guy (limited smarts), a guy at Edina, and a Russian goalie.

We lacked depth prospects on D, so picking a bunch may bear fruit.

In general, I would say the amateur scouts have found some decent players over time.

Not just picks, but signed deals.

47 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

so a guy who was doubtful to even be drafted this year we take in the 3rd.. seems legit 

Yeah it's full-on weird.    At least he's a RHS.

Close to blowing a gasket here but waiting to see their next pick.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

In general, I would say the amateur scouts have found some decent players over time.

The only time we have success is when we go with consensus and draft guys that are ranked well with the rest of the professional hockey world.

We have ...NEVER...had success going off the board.   Actually never, to my knowledge, and I'd love to be proven wrong.

I'm watching us waste this entire draft, live.

8 minutes ago, Fins&FIre15 said:

The boltmann pick is the only one im scratching my head about, everything else makes sense.

I don’t like the Kuznetsov pick. I don’t mind the size. It seems to me when the Flames draft for size they don’t know what they are doing.,being slow isn’t terrible, but when you have guys like Connor McDick skating down on you how’re you going to defend that?

kind of reminds me of the Kanzig pick.

Seems like a lot of disappointment already from many on the board. I liked how BT maneuvered and gained the extra 3rd round picks. I’m not Sam Constantino nor do I want his handlebar moustache but at this point these are just names to most of us. I’m trusting the scouts at this point to make the right call. No franchise goes into a draft trying to make themselves a worse team so there has to be some real upside to some of these picks. It’s wait and see before i can grade our 2020 draft haul. Nothing sexy about any of our picks but pretty sure Rasmus and Mangiapane weren’t thrilling any of us when we heard their names called. Let’s atleast give the kids a chance before we write them off. For all we know this could turn out to be one of best draft years down the road. Give it time

9 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I don’t like the Kuznetsov pick. I don’t mind the size. It seems to me when the Flames draft for size they don’t know what they are doing.,being slow isn’t terrible, but when you have guys like Connor McDick skating down on you how’re you going to defend that?

kind of reminds me of the Kanzig pick.

so Colton Parayko on this team would be a hard No for you ?

Just now, phoenix66 said:

he’s definitely a Colton parayko?

some said that could be a good, but also bust... so that’s not what I am saying. He’s not a skater in a skating league... 

In digging into it I like the Botlmann pick. Sounds like a project but a kid who has flashed everything you'd want in a dman. Can play physical, he's mobile, he'll rush the puck, he'll play PP/PK and a RS to boot. Sure he was ranked later but I don't care about that, it sounds like he has a really intriguing skill set and if they took him that early it mean that area scout went to bat for him and i'll never complain about that. Especially considering it was likely Jim Cummings who I think is a real solid scout.

I agree the complaining in this thread is so far over the top right now. Personally I think the Flames are having an excellent draft so far and i'm excited about what they've added. 

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

he’s definitely a Colton parayko?

some said that could be a good, but also bust... so that’s not what I am saying. He’s not a skater in a skating league... 

He's definitely not NOT a Colton Parayko .. thats why we let things play out

Ive read CP's scouting  report.. passed over the first time thru... skating issues .. limited offensive ability 

I tend to give BT a lot of rope.. since that awful McDonald draft ( which really .. wasnt his ) I cant recall too many strikeouts and a good number of Home Runs

They see something , you can teach skating and even Defense .. you cant teach raw skill or IQ

we really wont know for a few years 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

In digging into it I like the Botlmann pick. Sounds like a project but a kid who has flashed everything you'd want in a dman. Can play physical, he's mobile, he'll rush the puck, he'll play PP/PK and a RS to boot. Sure he was ranked later but I don't care about that, it sounds like he has a really intriguing skill set and if they took him that early it mean that area scout went to bat for him and i'll never complain about that. Especially considering it was likely Jim Cummings who I think is a real solid scout.

I agree the complainant in this thread is so far over the top right now. Personally I think the Flames are having an excellent draft so far and i'm excited about what they've added. 

totally . i was reading this article.. kids green but the tools are there it sounds like for sure..

https://www.rawcharge.com/2020/4/10/21215875/tampa-bay-lightning-round-scouting-report-on-jake-boltmann-nhl-2020-draft-prospect-names-minnesota

Also let’s not be too envious of these teams loaded with blue chip prospects. It’s going to be a salary cap nightmare to keep all that talent all on 1 team, 3 yrs down the road. It’s near impossible to do in today’s economy. 

20 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Colton Parayko dwarfs him as a 6'6 RHS with speed, who was scoring bucketloads of points when he was drafted.

Our guy is 6'4 LHS, with Not speed, very few points, when we just drafted him.

Could I be wrong and he turns out?  Yes.  But the chances are so small that I'm confident calling this a wasted pick right now.

I understand the arguement that he is an early-ager in the NCAA.   IMHO it is for the wrong reasons.  they are developing him as a bruiser.
He should have stayed in a more appropriate league for him to develop his skills.

18 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Interesting.

An over-ager in the 4th round.  I would have preferred to see him in the 5th or 6th round.

But, if you're going to take crazy wild swings with over-agers I suppose anywhere from round 4-6 is acceptable.

Can't say that I like it or hate it.   I just wish we'd gone for Askarov lol.    I like it....more than their last pick.

22 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Whew! Finally.........a RHS. Now all the complainers can put the lack of RHS to bed.