The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thebrewcrew

2020 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

1 minute ago, jjgallow said:

Colton Parayko dwarfs him as a 6'6 RHS with speed, who was scoring bucketloads of points when he was drafted.

Our guy is 6'4 LHS, with Not speed, very few points, when we just drafted him.

Could I be wrong and he turns out?  Yes.  But the chances are so small that I'm confident calling this a wasted pick right now.

I understand the arguement that he is an early-ager in the NCAA.   IMHO it is for the wrong reasons.  they are developing him as a bruiser.
He should have stayed in a more appropriate league for him to develop his skills.

Will you come back and admit you are wrong if he pans out?

You are quick to judge.

What insight do you have that says it's a wasted pick?

48 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

he is 20 in feb. And got passed over last years draft and may not have been drafted this year...

Frederik Andersen got drafted the first time at 20, so did Merzlikins, Quick at 19.  Can question the slot, but if they like him that much they would be gambling passing him up there when it was heading to a longer stretch without a pick.

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Will you come back and admit you are wrong if he pans out?

You are quick to judge.

What insight do you have that says it's a wasted pick?

I will, and you have to be quick to judge because when he doesn't pan out 5 years from now someone will say "there's no way we could have known" and we'll just continue on making the same mistakes.

In fact didn't the two of us have this same arguement about Kanzig 5 years ago?

1 hour ago, Addicted said:

Not that we need more left wingers in the system, but I wonder if our latest pick wouldn't be better suited for the wing in the NHL?  Everything I read about him points to speed, hands, shot, and a high IQ in the OFFENSIVE zone, but defensive gaffes due to thinking offense first.  Maybe we shouldn't fight it and just let him be a winger?

Sounds like Kylington

So looks like we will have some space filled for the AHL in a few yrs seems to me that will be there skill set so 3 yrs AHL then we start over again with another waist of picks I can't believe BT passed on Hendrix Lapierre I believe he was the best player in the draft not drafted in the top 10 and we passed now that was a huge mistake in BT we trust why? Does any one here think Zary will even make the NHL even as a bottom 9 ?

3 minutes ago, zima said:

Does any one here think Zary will even make the NHL even as a bottom 9 ?

Yes

40 minutes ago, rickross said:

Also let’s not be too envious of these teams loaded with blue chip prospects. It’s going to be a salary cap nightmare to keep all that talent all on 1 team, 3 yrs down the road. It’s near impossible to do in today’s economy. 

ok, let’s blow the draft for salary cap reasons. Good reason to draft Satoshi Nakamoto.

30 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Colton Parayko dwarfs him as a 6'6 RHS with speed, who was scoring bucketloads of points when he was drafted.

Our guy is 6'4 LHS, with Not speed, very few points, when we just drafted him.

Could I be wrong and he turns out?  Yes.  But the chances are so small that I'm confident calling this a wasted pick right now.

I understand the arguement that he is an early-ager in the NCAA.   IMHO it is for the wrong reasons.  they are developing him as a bruiser.
He should have stayed in a more appropriate league for him to develop his skills.

this doesnt scream Future All Star to me .... :) 

"First off, there's no doubting that Parayko is every bit of the 6-5 218 lbs. that he is listed at. He's a monster out on the ice.

He's not quite an all-world skater, as you'd expect from a player that huge. But he's a good enough skater that combined with his size, he's an effective defender.

His size advantage allows him to be very aggressive defending on his own blue line and forcing the opposition to dump the puck into the zone rather than gaining clean zone entry.

His footwork defending one-on-one is okay at the college level, but something he could struggle with against faster competition at the NHL level. His pivots were a little rough, but again, he made every defensive play that he had to, largely because of all the space he takes away due to his size. He doesn't make a lot of open ice hits, but competes hard along the boards and uses his size to gain leverage effectively.

What makes Parayko especially unique as a prospect is that he also brings a bit of offensive upside. He has 61 points in 96 career games the Nanooks. As you'd expect from a player his size, he's got a very heavy shot, and he does an excellent job of keeping his shots low and creating rebound opportunities. He handles and passes the puck adequately, which is impressive at his size. He's capable of rushing the puck up the ice and with his size, it's very difficult to knock him off the puck or slow him down, so he's effective at gaining entry into the offensive zone.

If there was one question mark on the offensive side of the ice, it was his decision-making with the puck. Too many times in the Friday game when he gained the offensive zone, he fired lazy wrist shots on goal rather than keeping possession and looking to make a better play. He was much better with this in the following game on Saturday night though, so it's likely not a huge issue, and at least it appears to be a coachable issue.

In terms of his future, it wouldn't be a surprise to see the Blues try to sign Parayko has soon as his season ends on March 7th(UAF is not allowed to compete in their league's playoffs this year). He'll need at least a full season or two in the minor leagues to adjust to the pace of pro hockey. But given time and continued development, he could be a very solid second or third pairing defenseman at the NHL level. He's not going to be the next Zdeno Chara, but he'll be a strong defender, and provide enough offense to offset whatever issues he has against faster players. Finding a player of his talent 86 picks into a Draft isn't an easy thing to do. For a third round draft pick, Parayko isn't quite a home-run, but definitely at least a solid double.

ffs why do people have to be so freaking negative all the time.  Opinions are fine but he constant bashing of the Flames and thier scouts.

I came looking for some good info on our draft choices and found a bunch of wannabe GMs and Scouts who are basically clueless whether this kids will pan out or not.

6 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

ok, let’s blow the draft for salary cap reasons. Good reason to draft Satoshi Nakamoto.

Lol I hear ya Rob! Right now there doesn’t appear to be much to get excited about but it’s just too early to say. We don’t know what we have yet in any of these players. Maybe we managed to nab a gem or 2. Regardless , teams like the Sens and Rangers likely won’t be able to afford all the talent anyway and who’s to say their picks pan out? Right now we’re all just operating off hype. Let’s revisit this draft in 3 yrs time 

Just now, jjgallow said:

I will, and you have to be quick to judge because when he doesn't pan out 5 years from now someone will say "there's no way we could have known" and we'll just continue on making the same mistakes.

In fact didn't the two of us have this same arguement about Kanzig 5 years ago?

I dunno, did I say he could be another Charra, maybe just maybe?  

Or perhaps, it was possible that he had the same early career as Charra?

Then again, that was Feaster, under Burkie, so I can't be certain how much autonomy or pull the scouts had.

Kanzig and MacDonald screamed Burkie.

The fact that Monahan and Gaudreau were picked says the scouts got something right.

But then again, that was before Burkie's influence.

On another note, what was Fox before he was this gem?

An iffy defender with some great offensive instinct on the PP.

Small-ish.

Not a standout at the WJC.

All I am saying is that we drafted other D since then; some like Hickey seemed good but are nothing, others like Ras.

The jury is still out on Kylington, but he always had warts.

If I’ve learned anything from the 2020 Draft its that Flames fans do not trust the Calgary Flames scouting department...at all! 😂 

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Okay, what team has blown you away?  I hear a lot of BTCing but little insight.  Sorry I like you as a poster, but I find the complaining about kids when every year there are numerous can't misses who miss and a lot of reaches or questionable picks who turn into stars, a little overkill your no expert nor am I.  Let's give this time before we call this Satoshi Nakamoto.  Gaudreau was a waste on day one, Mangiapane was too old, Greg Nemicz and Tim Erixon were safe smart picks.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

On another note, what was Fox before he was this gem?

He was a prolific well-ranked RHS scorer that I immediately congratulated the Flames for drafting and supported.     Hoping we don't have to pull links for any of this lol.

But yeah I'm just saying, we knew.  Maybe not that he'd reach his ceiling, but we knew first-line D was within his ceiling.

Just as we know the Flames just drafted a bunch of guys who don't have that ceiling.

6 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

ffs why do people have to be so freaking negative all the time.  Opinions are fine but he constant bashing of the Flames and thier scouts.

I came looking for some good info on our draft choices and found a bunch of wannabe GMs and Scouts who are basically clueless whether this kids will pan out or not.

Sorry man but "it is what it is"...we are all wannabe GMs even if we won't admit it, that's our hobby and that's kinda what this forum is.   I much prefer this to  a bunch of people blindly praising these choices  (don't assume it was the choices of Flames scouts) when the rest of the professional hockey world sees it differently.

When you go way off the board this is what the thread looks like.

2 minutes ago, rickross said:

Lol I hear ya Rob! Right now there doesn’t appear to be much to get excited about but it’s just too early to say. We don’t know what we have yet in any of these players. Maybe we managed to nab a gem or 2. Regardless , teams like the Sens and Rangers likely won’t be able to afford all the talent anyway and who’s to say their picks pan out? Right now we’re all just operating off hype. Let’s revisit this draft in 3 yrs time 

ya I hope so. It would be good to have the talent. Hope these guys pan out. I think it’s just different this year as we’ve heard more upside on guys in previous years where they drafted for specific skills. It seems like a bit of a stray from what we’ve seen recently. 

I should be happy as I do want the team to get harder to play against. Maybe these guys do that in the future? 

sorry everyone. I was a negative nelly these past few days and you’re right, I should let it play out over the next few years. It just scares me how aside from Zary they’ve seemed to stray from what has worked. They’ve not done great In drafting for size and toughness and even though it’s what I hope they do do, it sounds like their upside is low. We know from history players who score and have different abilities tend to make the NHL. Some have talked a lot about that on here.

3 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

He was a prolific well-ranked RHS scorer that I immediately congratulated the Flames for drafting and supported.     Hoping we don't have to pull links for any of this lol.

But yeah I'm just saying, we knew.  Maybe not that he'd reach his ceiling, but we knew first-line D was within his ceiling.

Just as we know the Flames just drafted a bunch of guys who don't have that ceiling.

Hmm .. sounds a lot like Poirer .....

Fox is a boom or bust type of prospect. He has all the puck moving ability to be successful at the next level, but requires a real bulk-up in strength and improvement in his defensive game. Fox’s game is reminiscent of Ryan Ellis of the Nashville Predators but this is a stylistic comparison only and not one based on skill or ability.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

The only time we have success is when we go with consensus and draft guys that are ranked well with the rest of the professional hockey world.

We have ...NEVER...had success going off the board.   Actually never, to my knowledge, and I'd love to be proven wrong.

I'm watching us waste this entire draft, live.

Gaudreau was rated to be undrafted in 2011, we picked him 104th. Micheal Ferland was just a goon. Gio wasn't even stated and settled for a 3-way contract, which stopped existing in 2005.

Everyone likes going for the home run until the home run doesn't fit their preconceived notions. Let's remember that not all off-the-board success stories have to be small, skilled players.

6 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Okay, what team has blown you away?  I hear a lot of BTCing but little insight.  Sorry I like you as a poster, but I find the complaining about kids when every year there are numerous can't misses who miss and a lot of reaches or questionable picks who turn into stars, a little overkill your no expert nor am I.  Let's give this time before we call this Satoshi Nakamoto.  Gaudreau was a waste on day one, Mangiapane was too old, Greg Nemicz and Tim Erixon were safe smart picks.

7 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Sorry man but "it is what it is"...we are all wannabe GMs even if we won't admit it, that's our hobby and that's kinda what this forum is.   I much prefer this to  a bunch of people blindly praising these choices  (don't assume it was the choices of Flames scouts) when the rest of the professional hockey world sees it differently.

When you go way off the board this is what the thread looks like.

ya, I know, but like JJ says, it’s hard on us when the team goes away or off the board from the different scouting reports that are done by all of the different other pros. I get the Flames have their own board to work from, but they’ve had their own board for many years and they’ve had varying success. We are still scarred by the old days when there were no players to be excited for. Going way off board is kinda scary.

4 minutes ago, Crzydrvr said:

Gaudreau was rated to be undrafted in 2011, we picked him 104th. Micheal Ferland was just a goon. Gio wasn't even stated and settled for a 3-way contract, which stopped existing in 2005.

Everyone likes going for the home run until the home run doesn't fit their preconceived notions. Let's remember that not all off-the-board success stories have to be small, skilled players.

but other GMs were asking the Flames, “how’d you know to draft him where you did?” So it sounds like other teams were willing to draft him but just not sure when to.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Was there a reason Poirier dropped so much?  Soke mock drafts had him in the late teens.

they were saying on NHL network that some scouts think he may have to play forward in order to play in the NHL. His D abilities are low end but his offence is higher end. So he has his work cut out for him, but maybe we found our next LW? 

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

ya I hope so. It would be good to have the talent. Hope these guys pan out. I think it’s just different this year as we’ve heard more upside on guys in previous years where they drafted for specific skills. It seems like a bit of a stray from what we’ve seen recently. 

I should be happy as I do want the team to get harder to play against. Maybe these guys do that in the future? 

sorry everyone. I was a negative nelly these past few days and you’re right, I should let it play out over the next few years. It just scares me how aside from Zary they’ve seemed to stray from what has worked. They’ve not done great In drafting for size and toughness and even though it’s what I hope they do do, it sounds like their upside is low. We know from history players who score and have different abilities tend to make the NHL. Some have talked a lot about that on here.

No need to apologize...it’s 2020! This draft was effed up, it didn’t feel like there’s was much flow to it and that added to randomness of the picks.  I think Flames did well in getting extra picks but the jury is out on the potential of our picks. 

Flames actually need help on pretty much every front. Our future is pretty bleak with our current crop of prospects so I do get the frustration. I’m just gonna trust the scouts to do their job and hope for the best at this point. No one wins the cup at the draft 

22 minutes ago, rickross said:

If I’ve learned anything from the 2020 Draft its that Flames fans do not trust the Calgary Flames scouting department...at all! 😂 

Which makes absolutely no sense to me.

this has been one of the best drafting teams since Treliving got here and put his stamps on things. Some people are just negative and that's fine but I don't get it.