The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Thebrewcrew

2020 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

22 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

He was a prolific well-ranked RHS scorer that I immediately congratulated the Flames for drafting and supported.     Hoping we don't have to pull links for any of this lol.

But yeah I'm just saying, we knew.  Maybe not that he'd reach his ceiling, but we knew first-line D was within his ceiling.

Just as we know the Flames just drafted a bunch of guys who don't have that ceiling.

I remember, but as I said he there were holes in his game.

He was not by any stretch of the imagination a gifted defender.

He was a offensively gifted D-man.

Has he figured a lot out?

Of course.

You could probably compare early returns with Poirier.

Will he get to that level?

Anyone's guess.

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Which makes absolutely no sense to me.

this has been one of the best drafting teams since Treliving got here and put his stamps on things. Some people are just negative and that's fine but I don't get it. 

We are a traumatized bunch. The poor drafting of the past is so deeply etched in our psyches it’s hard to see the positives over the years. Flames drafting has improved considerably since the Sutter days, I don’t like or hate any of our picks because I know nothing about them. It’s hard to imagine we missed out on every single pick we made this year! Let’s see if free agency brings a more positive outlook for the Flames

5 minutes ago, rickross said:

No need to apologize...it’s 2020! This draft was effed up, it didn’t feel like there’s was much flow to it and that added to randomness of the picks.  I think Flames did well in getting extra picks but the jury is out on the potential of our picks. 

Flames actually need help on pretty much every front. Our future is pretty bleak with our current crop of prospects so I do get the frustration. I’m just gonna trust the scouts to do their job and hope for the best at this point. No one wins the cup at the draft 

for me it was apparent they started drafting for position when they grabbed three D in a row, which is also a bit of a bad sign. We do need the D. 

we drafted well on Valamaki, but that’s kind of a given. Brodie was a good pick, Fox was a good one, and Andersson. But I can’t remember many more D that the flames drafted. I feel Giordano is old news so I don’t mention finding him. That was a different team back then.

9 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

they were saying on NHL network that some scouts think he may have to play forward in order to play in the NHL. His D abilities are low end but his offence is higher end. So he has his work cut out for him, but maybe we found our next LW? 

Or, he works his tail off, knowing his defense is a work in progress.

Unlike JJ, these same people never will admit to being wrong. 🙂 

15 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

but other GMs were asking the Flames, “how’d you know to draft him where you did?” So it sounds like other teams were willing to draft him but just not sure when to.

That's why "consensus" means nothing. It didn't even put a consistent number on Gaudreau, just like basically any prospect after the 2nd round. Plenty of teams want to draft guys at certain spots but we can't all save our favorite players for the 7th round. 

I'm not a genius or anything but like I've said before, the only thing I care about is hockey sense. Y'all know my preference for skill and speed, but I'm willing to accept that not every guy who makes it has to be the same. If they're smart and work their *ss off I would take that over a small soft and lazy player any day.

I'm just confused because too many guys see a big guy as immediately written off, and then getting mad the Flames aren't swinging for the fences when that's exactly what they did when they picked the 2 Americans. Kuznetsov if he pans out is an incredible pick, if he doesn't the team just made itself look like idiots,  but they did it because they swung hard at a guy without regard for outside opinion.  Kanzig was bad, Sieloff was bad, and I'm pretty sure I said as much the moment we took them. Kuznetsov I'll take a wait and see, because he's shown more in his time with Connecticut than I ever saw with Kanzig. Meanwhile, we're talking about some guys getting drafted who are small, skilled, dumb and will never contribute to an NHL team as if they have any more potential just because they look good in a 2 minute video where they stickhandle themselves into corners.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Which makes absolutely no sense to me.

this has been one of the best drafting teams since Treliving got here and put his stamps on things. Some people are just negative and that's fine but I don't get it. 

exactly .. hes got more hits than busts .. if hes reaching I have faith there is a reason .. i cant even name a draft "bust" of BT's  ( im sure there are, just cant think of one ) 

when you have 2 picks in the 3rd.. go ahead and take a free swing is my thinking 

Like Jarmo last night .. reached  so far out the announcers had no clue who the kid was.. but after his reach on PLD.. people were now asking " what does he know "

• Like 1

Just now, travel_dude said:

Anyone like Ryan Francis?

5'9" RW, who had 61 gp, 24g, 48a, 72 points

Right hand - check

Good numbers - check

Small - bad

1 bad makes it a waste

2 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Right hand - check

Good numbers - check

Small - bad

1 bad makes it a waste

😂

they said he has the ability to make players better, maybe the new Gaudreau? Lol 😂 have t be a shift disturber...

4 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Right hand - check

Good numbers - check

Small - bad

1 bad makes it a waste

Nah, he's small which immediately means it was a great pick because being small means he's good!

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Anyone like Ryan Francis?

5'9" RW, who had 61 gp, 24g, 48a, 72 points

In all seriousness it is a nice pick late in the draft. It's tough to project what he'll be at the next level but if things go well he can be a top 9 forward, but I don't know if he'd be a game breaking forward which worries me at his size. He is a very good playmaker though and should at worst be a good AHL PP guy. 

I like Francis. It's a predictable Flames pick in that they will roll the dice on a very talented player who is undersized late in the draft. 

I'm all for it personally and think they got really good value here. For those who seems so concerned with consensus rankings, he was ranked 79 by Bob Mckenzie so no one should criticize this pick because consensus is truly what's important in drafting. 

I want to add in that I'm not singling anyone out (except the dorks at CP and HfBoards, yeah I'm calling you hiveminds out 😂), but let's not get into a logical fallacy and pretend that only the players we like are going to be worth anything. Surprises come in all shapes and sizes. Lucic was a guy all the fans hated at the draft because he had 19 points and 100+ PIMs (just a goon, wasted 2nd rounder), then he turned into a great player and fan favorite for a few years and won a Cup as a 30 goal scorer. And I'll fully admit I never would have drafted him either because those types of players are generally not my cup of tea. Heck, I wouldn't have picked Poirier today but I'm not about to say the pick is wasted, it just means the team has a bit more work to do over the next couple years to make sure that pick won't go to waste. 

I'm just some dude who watches a lot of hockey, not a miracle worker (as much as I joke about it). We can't see into a guy's mind and predict how he'll turn out. When we look at these kids today, we gotta remember this is not the end goal, the draft is just a checkmark to bigger things.

• Like 2

We should get more likes, especially on days like today. I w@nt to like some of your posts... 

I too am no pro.i just really want this team to become a perennial contender. It starts at the draft and then through development. The Flames have done better at drafting but still not building the perennial. We have holes. Like I said, I know nothing but it was hard to watch a lot or RW or RSD being taken from the board and watching the Flames reach with their picks.

a lot say you stick to your list but when your list never gets those players you’re left to trade for them. And those Positions we don’t draft are the biggest holes On this team for years and the most expensive in terms of trying to fix, Hamilton and Hamonic, Lindholm. It’s not as easy as a lot on here that say you trade for the other positions. We wouldn’t have as many holes if we drafted we’ll all-round.

I would shoot for skill and international. 

it would be really cool to be a scout. Some of you guys would make decent ones. I really admire a lot of your opinions. 

6 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

Janks No longer a Flame after not reiceving a qualifying offer

They could sign him, but probably not going to. He’s too low on a team deep inC. probably better as a winger, but we only tried that once in game 82 one year.

they didn’t want to go Arb. He’d end up getting a slight raise they’re not willing to do. But if he wants to stay they could negotiate a lower deal.

Not a fan of the Rory Kerins pick. At this point I'd prefer to swing for the fences, and go for a high risk, high reward strategy.

Guys like Lebanc and Mangiapane can be found here, and I'd rather shoot for those instead of going for guys that are unlikely to make it to pro.

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

Gotta go with a good job on this kid he’s from my home Province a NS kid is alway a great pick 😉👍

11 minutes ago, Fins&FIre15 said:

Not a fan of the Rory Kerins pick. At this point I'd prefer to swing for the fences, and go for a high risk, high reward strategy.

Guys like Lebanc and Mangiapane can be found here, and I'd rather shoot for those instead of going for guys that are unlikely to make it to pro.

u mean like Mangiapane was ?

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

they were saying on NHL network that some scouts think he may have to play forward in order to play in the NHL. His D abilities are low end but his offence is higher end. So he has his work cut out for him, but maybe we found our next LW? 

Perfect.  LHS LW is exactly what we need more of.  Glad we added to that position further.... 

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Perfect.  LHS LW is exactly what we need more of.  Glad we added to that position further.... 

yeah, this is the problem I have with this draft. It seemed like so many RS Players were being picked left and right at the end of the first and throughout the next two rounds and we picked differently. I dunno if those players are going to make it, but maybe ours will. 

47 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I like Francis. It's a predictable Flames pick in that they will roll the dice on a very talented player who is undersized late in the draft. 

I'm all for it personally and think they got really good value here. For those who seems so concerned with consensus rankings, he was ranked 79 by Bob Mckenzie so no one should criticize this pick because consensus is truly what's important in drafting. 

That was my first impression.  

They obviously had more info about Pelletier, who is also a smaller player.

But, also ranked higher.

It addresses a positional weakness.

12 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

u mean like Mangiapane was ?

I remember feeling Mangiapane was smallish but I remember his numbers And compete were promising.