Sign in to follow this  
sak22

Flames March Madness - Final

Flames March Madness - Final  

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Championship Match

• Matthew Tkachuck vs. Nashville - 2019
    • Lanny McDonald go ahead goal 1989 SCF Gm 6

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/26/2020 at 11:00 PM

I forgot to run this poll last week, but we are down to the final matchup.  This matchup features an old sentimental favorite vs. a recent highlight that we may never see duplicated completely.  Voting for this round will go on until May 26th.  Here are the highlights for the final time.

Matthew Tkachuk vs. Nashville - 2019

Lanny McDonald go ahead goal 1989 SCF Gm 6

Thanks to everyone who voted, this project became a good time killer for me and now that this one is wrapping up, I may need to launch another set of polls or games of some sort to pass the time, but I'm hoping we can at least have the draft to talk about in June.

Finally, if there are any highlights or moments that I left off feel free to share them or discuss your favorite moments in the teams history.

These were a lot of fun, Sak22. Thanks a bunch for posting them! It was great to relive some old memories during a time when there wasn't a lot of hockey. 

I wanted to let you know why I didn't vote in this particular round, even though I tried to vote in all of the other ones. 

It's hard to really determine an outcome in this round that is fair. Obviously, the stakes were much higher for Lanny's go-ahead goal, but it's not like it was a great goal. Furthermore, it wasn't the game-winning-goal, which, arguably, was a great goal. I feel like when we think back on the cup team, we always remember Lanny because it was such a great story - similar to Ray Bourque, or Dave Andreychuk (even if it did come at our expense). Although Lanny did score the 2-1 goal, it was Doug Gilmour that actually scored the insurance marker that went on to become the Stanley Cup winning goal. Then he iced it with an empty-netter with 1:03 left. 

Matthew Tkachuk's goal in overtime last November against the Predators was great as well, but that's because they were down 4-1 to start the third period, and had only registered nine shots on net. The emotions were running high because they made a tremendous comeback, and the Predators were falling apart at home. To make it worse for the hometown faithful, Matty scored that absolutely ridiculous, super cheeky, highlight reel goal with one second left on the clock. It was great, and a lot of fun to watch - but really, it was pretty meaningless save for two points, and some team building early in the season. 

In terms of which goal is better?, I'd take the Tkachuk goal seven days a week, but it didn't feel appropriate to vote for it here. Even though, honestly, this is one of my favourite goals I've ever seen a Flames player score, at least, that I can remember off the top of my head. I'm sure that we could go back through the tapes, and find some really fun, and creative goals scored by the likes of Kent Nilsson, Hakan Loob, Joey Mullen, Theoren Fleury, Kristian Huselius, Johnny Gaudreau, and many others. 

Anyway, I noticed that no one has really responded to this post, and no one cast a vote - I'm not sure if they felt the same way that I do, or if there is some other explanation. In any case, I wanted to let you know that these were great, and I'm really glad that you put this together. So, thanks a bunch for that! 

Love. 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this