The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

travel_dude

Playoffs 2020 - Flames Lineup

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

As was speculated Gawdin did not make the final roster due to injury. 

It's good that he was on the "right track".  That bodes well for him next season.  I really can't say how he stacks up against C's like Bennett, Ryan or Janko, but at the very least he would be a cheap option for a winger, should he be ready.

Be interesting to see them. You'd normally try this in camp but circumstances certainly tied Wards hands there

53 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Be interesting to see them. You'd normally try this in camp but circumstances certainly tied Wards hands there

Other than Gio with Ras, I'm not sure what D changes I would expect.

For F combos, he can only really work with 12 players.

Maybe Lucic with Janko/Bennett and Rieder?

Quine-Ryan-Dube?

Or Gaudreau-Monahan-Mangiapane?

No idea.  They had enough scrimmages to try most of this out didn't they?

if ward uses this game for trial and error.. then I definitely don't want him back next year.. he's had 4 months to tinker and a few practices and scrimmages.. This is the time of year that the players need to be focusing on doing what they do best.. not wondering about the people that they play with or manage them.. No Distractions!! Singular Focus!!!

2 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

if ward uses this game for trial and error.. then I definitely don't want him back next year.. he's had 4 months to tinker and a few practices and scrimmages.. This is the time of year that the players need to be focusing on doing what they do best.. not wondering about the people that they play with or manage them.. No Distractions!! Singular Focus!!!

In som ways, this is the same as simmer camp. where they have more guys than will ever make the roster.

The structure of phase 3 groups didn't allow him to integrate properly, so I give him that.

But the scrimmages should hve been tinker time or not do it at all.

Anyway, moving on.

Tonight we should see what the options look like, if at all.

2 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

id it 830 yet????

There a BOA Game day thread for all comments about the game.

It's cobbled together for fan posting.

EDIT - no, you have to wait for the inevitable Leafs OT and shootout first.

no Satoshi Nakamoto Sherlock!! This is the playoff posting on line-ups.. that's what i'm expecting tonight.. playoff hockey .. sooooooo is it 830 yet??

Just now, Horsman1 said:

no Satoshi Nakamoto Sherlock!! This is the playoff posting on line-ups.. that's what i'm expecting tonight.. playoff hockey .. sooooooo is it 830 yet??

Come on, be nice.

I was just letting you (and other) know there was a GDT out there.

Count on a Leafs shootout to mess up programming.

I liked the in game adjustment last night. Hoping the bottom six starts out as:

Lucic-Bennett-Dube

Rinaoldo-Ryan-Reider

I too really liked that bottom 6 and will be very dissapointed if Ward doesn't go with it. I think it gives them more speed down the middle which allowed them to better defend the rush and I like the potential of Bennett between those 2. Him and Dube seem to have instant chemistry. 

Ryan and Reider give the 4th line some legitimacy. I don't really like Rinaldo in the lineup but at least those 2 can carry him. 

As i said elsewhere I thikn we might have seen the end of Janko for the Flames. I notified they had Mang on the PK which I wonder was a fall back to be able to take him out of the lineup. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I too really liked that bottom 6 and will be very dissapointed if Ward doesn't go with it. I think it gives them more speed down the middle which allowed them to better defend the rush and I like the potential of Bennett between those 2. Him and Dube seem to have instant chemistry. 

Ryan and Reider give the 4th line some legitimacy. I don't really like Rinaldo in the lineup but at least those 2 can carry him. 

As i said elsewhere I thikn we might have seen the end of Janko for the Flames. I notified they had Mang on the PK which I wonder was a fall back to be able to take him out of the lineup. 

I would be fine with Quine-Ryan-Rieder.

Janko showed no good reason to stay in the lineup.

Rinaldo is an option, but I feel that Quine is more apt to score.

You can also roll out 4 lines easier if you have a 4th line that can play 10+ minutes.

From what I saw, the best of the bottom 6 was Lucic-Bennett-Dube.

Lucic was a little slow out of the block, but overall was what you want.

Anything else is firing material, IMHO.

There's no good reason to go back to Ryan on the 3rd line when the impact to the 4th line is that drastic.

Give me 2 top lines that worked well, and two bottom lines that are relatively even.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Janko stopped playing ever since the Kadri non-trade.

I'm guessing he goes UFA in the off-season and sign with Weisbrod and the Canucks.

No doubt.

The Nucks like ex-Flames.

I'm assuming we don't qualify him, but I suppose we could just do it to retain his rights.

Trade for future considerations or whatever.

Unfortunately, it's a fail on both coaching and the player.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Janko stopped playing ever since the Kadri non-trade.

I'm guessing he goes UFA in the off-season and sign with Weisbrod and the Canucks.

I don't think he has much of a chance of sticking on that roster either.  I wouldn't put too much stock in the Weisbrod connection, I think even he can admit that 25 year old Jankowski didn't translate as well as he thought the 17 year old would.  A place that could work for him might be Buffalo, close to home and potential to at least play, but I also wouldn't be surprised if his next stop was somewhere in Europe.

15 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

No doubt.

The Nucks like ex-Flames.

I'm assuming we don't qualify him, but I suppose we could just do it to retain his rights.

Trade for future considerations or whatever.

Unfortunately, it's a fail on both coaching and the player.

9 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I don't think he has much of a chance of sticking on that roster either.  I wouldn't put too much stock in the Weisbrod connection, I think even he can admit that 25 year old Jankowski didn't translate as well as he thought the 17 year old would.  A place that could work for him might be Buffalo, close to home and potential to at least play, but I also wouldn't be surprised if his next stop was somewhere in Europe.

I think this was an off year.  Janko was trending well prior to the non-trade and I think a few teams will take a one year gamble on him.  He can PK after all and has straight line breakaway speed.  He has size. 

If we weren't so stacked on LW then I think he would've flourished there.  As a Center, he's done.  He shouldn't have to go to Europe.  Until he bombs one more season.

11 minutes ago, sak22 said:

He's not as bad as he played.

He has a fit on a team that needs a two-way C.

But he has to have chemistry for it to work.

Him and Bennett were like oil and water.

I don't know if the caoch tried to change his game or what.

34 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He's not as bad as he played.

He has a fit on a team that needs a two-way C.

But he has to have chemistry for it to work.

Him and Bennett were like oil and water.

I don't know if the caoch tried to change his game or what.

I don't know but he fell off a cliff in almost every aspect, the NHL is becoming less of a league to gamble on over 25 year olds regaining their mediocre form.  I'm not saying he's done, but I'm not sure teams will be lining up to sign him when he hits UFA and wouldn't be surprised if he needed to go to Europe, not everyone gets an immediate second chance

I’d be surprised if Jankowski is in the lineup again.

I also think his Flames tenure is at its end. He’s not worth qualifying, you can get more production out of a Gawdin or a PTO next year 

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I also think his Flames tenure is at its end. He’s not worth qualifying, you can get more production out of a Gawdin or a PTO next year 

Even if you want to keep him, the QO is too high for what he brings.

They could choose the route they did with others and not qualify, but offer to him as a UFA.

Nobody is giving him (me thinks) $1.65m 

11 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I completely agree but I am very disappointed that he will likely leave without ever being tried at RW. Maybe my judgement is influenced by the 4 goal game he had on the top line to finish the season a couple of years ago but I think he may have had the ability to rise to another level playing with high end talent. We have tried so many others at RW but I don't recall Jankowski ever getting that opportunity. 

Well as for the playoffs this year, not much can be done to tinker with the lines...

however, and on depending on the draft, but assuming we don’t win the lottery, I’d say a lot of the lines should change up, I fully expect some trades, which will change the look and feel of this team by a lot.

with that in mind, my thoughts are:

1. our top line, is not a true top line but is an amazing 2nd line.

2. our only true top line player is Tachuck.

3. so, we need a top line Ctr and a top line RW...a power forward type, not

so much an elected scorer..I’m thinking something like Rineheart in Buf? Not sure what that would take but something along that line...

4. Brodie and Gio while I love them, they are expendable, especially because of age, they fit the past few years as leaders when the core is younger, but with the likes of Valimaki and Anderson coming on...maybe also Hanifin could use a push into the next level my not having the shelter of Brodie and Gio... I think they could fetch some decent returns to help round out either the forward lines or fill a hole or two on the back end which they would leave.

5. Bennet, he’s most definitely the Backlund replacement + solid 3rd liner...I’m not sure though, I’d almost like to see what he would be like on a line with Tachuck, Bennet and Rineheart hard to say it would be the making of a solid top line or a total bust...but he could slot back on the 3rd line with Manji and maybe Versay in Buf, again not so sure if that would be doable, maybe a package of some sort with Reinheart in it?

6. Janko, Lucic just don’t fit 

But again, this is all pending on the outcome of the playoffs and draft, things could be considerably different if we bust and win the lottery, I’d suggest if that happens the game plan would probably change a lot, especially on the froward lines...though I would have to say, the Gio and Brodie moves should happen regardless...we have far too many really good young guys ready to succeed them.

I wonder about using these lines:

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk

This improves the top line defensively, it also combines what are probably the 3 best forwards on the team. Tkachuk gives the line more of a board presence which could come in handy in the playoffs.

Dube-Backlund-Mangiapane

This line would be able to play with so much pace and give the opposition fits with their puck pursuit.

Bennett-Monahan-Ryan

Monahan can still play on the top PP unit, but at 5v5 he is probably the 3rd best center on the team. With Ryan and Bennet it should help supplement Monahan.

Lucic-Quine-Rieder

Could put Rinaldo on this line for Rieder to give it more of an energy line feel, but Rieder has more offense and its nice to keep that breakaway speed in the lineup.