The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
robrob74

UFA 2020, Who’d You Sign?

5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

If Hamonic would sign a 1 year deal at $1m or under, would you bring him back?

He isn't a top 4 anymore that's for sure, but I think as 3rd pair guy, he can still fill a role. He would give a vet to play with Valimaki and RHS who can move up when Tanev inevitably gets injured.

From what I have heard, he wants to stay close to home, so would he take a big paycut to stay in Calgary. Not sure he is getting a lot of money or term anywhere at this point.

Oh for sures.  I didn't like Stone at $4-mil but he was tolerable at $1-mil after the buyout.  Hamonic at $1-mil is a good deal.

6 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I am going to guess that Treliving is going to force Kylington, Gawdin and Parsons to sign their QO's, like he did with Mangiapane.

The number for Kylington and Gawdin is $787,500.

There's really no case for any of those 3 to get anything more.  League minimum it is.

One way or another Mangiapane will have a new contract by the end of the month. Hopefully it's done before the hearing.

We all seem to agree that Ryan on the third line is where his value or contract is best suited, he is a right shoot and Bennett needs time at center. Why not use Ryans right shot on the third RW slot? He can he at faceoffs and his defensive hustle helps Bennett at the center position next year.

On a small note, I think if we play Buddy Robinson full time we come out ahead if he is eating the ice time that would have went to Janko. Buddy can score, he has a long stick for those penalty kills like Janko but he also hits alot and brings a toughness that Janko never did.

Mange with Tkachuk and Backlund for a whole season after building such good chemistry will be like we actually did sign a new player. So if Dube can play a full season with the energy he brings to the third line could be huge if he takes a step forward this year like Mange did last year.

After down years for some, steps forward for others, and the knowledge we have a solid stay at home Dman coming in along with Valamki full time (cross your fingers it is a hole season) and Andersen with a very solid year completed, I am starting to feel that the future is not a bleek as some are saying.

Every year people on hear vent due to not adding that one big piece here or there. We are one year removed from a 1st in the west finish, 50 wins, 107 pts. The difference from that season to last season was what? Neal and Smith...lol please don't tell me they were that important to the team. We gave alot of playing time to RFA's last year that in most cases excelled. Lucic found his stride later in the season and shinned when we needed his playoff gear he brought it. Yes TJ and Hamonic are gone but Tanev makes Hamonic a wash and Brodie wanted to be in TO so Andersen get's a bigger role which I am very much ok with.  OOOh wait we have a new fu&%ing goalie. How as a whole can we not think this team is better right now then we performed last year as a whole.

Yeah I am being very optimistic and I would like something new and shinny but Leivo would be enough for me. We finally need to allow some guys to fight for there spot from within and I believe adding Markstom may show that next year we are going to be letting the leash out a bit.  JUST SAYING.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

If Hamonic would sign a 1 year deal at $1m or under, would you bring him back?

He isn't a top 4 anymore that's for sure, but I think as 3rd pair guy, he can still fill a role. He would give a vet to play with Valimaki and RHS who can move up when Tanev inevitably gets injured.

From what I have heard, he wants to stay close to home, so would he take a big paycut to stay in Calgary. Not sure he is getting a lot of money or term anywhere at this point.

Honestly.. No.

I feel bad being honest here because Hamonic the person is such a quality character that you feel like you just want him around the team no matter what. But in terms of his on ice play i want to move on completely, at any price. He was a borderline liability on the ice, his skating has started to slide too much and he doesn't defend at near the level he use to. 

You could do worse as a 6th/7th dman for sure so I get the idea but i'd rather just move on. 

36 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

One way or another Mangiapane will have a new contract by the end of the month. Hopefully it's done before the hearing.

Really hope they avoid the hearing and I do hope they go the 4-5 year route and try to get something done around 4Mill. I think he's worth it and getting better 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

Honestly.. No.

I feel bad being honest here because Hamonic the person is such a quality character that you feel like you just want him around the team no matter what. But in terms of his on ice play i want to move on completely, at any price. He was a borderline liability on the ice, his skating has started to slide too much and he doesn't defend at near the level he use to. 

You could do worse as a 6th/7th dman for sure so I get the idea but i'd rather just move on. 

Sorry disagree he was needed for the playoffs and he walked away Gio and all the other players on all teams have family as well they all played he wouldn't not the type of guy I want on my team

• Angry 1

6 minutes ago, zima said:

Sorry disagree he was needed for the playoffs and he walked away Gio and all the other players on all teams have family as well they all played he wouldn't not the type of guy I want on my team

Other guys on the team don't have daughters who were hospitalized and almost passed from a respiratory illness a year prior. 

I am fine with not wanting him on the team from an on ice stand point, but him opting out of the bubble was 100% legit and shouldn't be held against him.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Really hope they avoid the hearing and I do hope they go the 4-5 year route and try to get something done around 4Mill. I think he's worth it and getting better 

I would think $4m is a but high on a 4-5 year deal, I would go as high as $3.5m. The Johnsson comparison from earlier is a good one similar age and sample size going as an RFA. 

28 minutes ago, FlameFan4Life said:

We all seem to agree that Ryan on the third line is where his value or contract is best suited, he is a right shoot and Bennett needs time at center. Why not use Ryans right shot on the third RW slot? He can he at faceoffs and his defensive hustle helps Bennett at the center position next year.

It depends where we play Dube and Lucic.  I dont think Ryan should play above those two so he's bumped down to 4th line.

41 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It depends where we play Dube and Lucic.  I dont think Ryan should play above those two so he's bumped down to 4th line.

If they play better than Ryan of course but if Ryan is the guy getting it done he gets the minutes thats just my opinion.

7 minutes ago, FlameFan4Life said:

If they play better than Ryan of course but if Ryan is the guy getting it done he gets the minutes thats just my opinion.

I'm sure they will mix lines up during the season too.  Ryan will play bottom six in many roles.

It looks like Ward wants Bennett to play Center so like you said, he could Center Ryan.  

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I'm sure they will mix lines up during the season too.  Ryan will play bottom six in many roles.

It looks like Ward wants Bennett to play Center so like you said, he could Center Ryan.  

So we agree...wow it is nice to agree with "The People"....cool

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I find it a little hard to swallow having Lucic and Ryan playing on the 4th line.

Bennett was on the 3rd line for a reason.

Lucic complemented him there because it was playoff hockey.

I sense that that would not be the case over 82 games.

If we don't trade Ryan (there's some good reasons not to trade him), then we:

• play Lucic with Ryan and Gawdin, leaving a big hole on the 3rd line
  • play Lucic with Bennett and Dube, leaving a crater on the 4th line 

So, my question is does it make sense to trade fill the hole on the 3rd or 4th line?

RIght now, we have Rinaldo and Buddy, meaning a 4th line of Rinaldo-Ryan-Buddy(Gawdin).

If we used Hanifin, we might be able to get a top 6 RW capable for him.

If we use Ryan, we either get back an expensive player or a pick.

If a pick, we have to use the space to sign a UFA winger or C.

We lucked having the early date for Mange in arb hearing. For the teams waiting to have there hearing before picking up those final pieces we get a jump. My hope is still Leivo or even Sheary if he is cheap enough.

We could free up some cash and trade someone but if it is not a obvious improvement I would rather clear some space and save the cap for the trade deadline.

16 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I would think $4m is a but high on a 4-5 year deal, I would go as high as $3.5m. The Johnsson comparison from earlier is a good one similar age and sample size going as an RFA. 

It is as I agree the comp of Johnsson is good. I'm factoring in a small bump as Mang's 5 on 5 numbers are so strong it may take a slight bump to get him to go term and I'd be willing to do that as I think it will be worth it. 

But obviously 3.5-3.75 would be ideal. 

18 hours ago, FlameFan4Life said:

On a small note, I think if we play Buddy Robinson full time we come out ahead if he is eating the ice time that would have went to Janko. Buddy can score, he has a long stick for those penalty kills like Janko but he also hits alot and brings a toughness that Janko never did.

Mange with Tkachuk and Backlund for a whole season after building such good chemistry will be like we actually did sign a new player. So if Dube can play a full season with the energy he brings to the third line could be huge if he takes a step forward this year like Mange did last year.

After down years for some, steps forward for others, and the knowledge we have a solid stay at home Dman coming in along with Valamki full time (cross your fingers it is a hole season) and Andersen with a very solid year completed, I am starting to feel that the future is not a bleek as some are saying.

Every year people on hear vent due to not adding that one big piece here or there. We are one year removed from a 1st in the west finish, 50 wins, 107 pts. The difference from that season to last season was what? Neal and Smith...lol please don't tell me they were that important to the team. We gave alot of playing time to RFA's last year that in most cases excelled. Lucic found his stride later in the season and shinned when we needed his playoff gear he brought it. Yes TJ and Hamonic are gone but Tanev makes Hamonic a wash and Brodie wanted to be in TO so Andersen get's a bigger role which I am very much ok with.  OOOh wait we have a new fu&%ing goalie. How as a whole can we not think this team is better right now then we performed last year as a whole.

Yeah I am being very optimistic and I would like something new and shinny but Leivo would be enough for me. We finally need to allow some guys to fight for there spot from within and I believe adding Markstom may show that next year we are going to be letting the leash out a bit.  JUST SAYING.

Good note

I think BT has done reasonably this offseason in addressing some stability and grit on D and of course signing Markstrom.  I think the later may end up being a great move but as I have said before, goalies are a tough one. 

I am concerned about the loss of Brodie but once you put him out there on the trade block, the days are numbered because the head will take a toll.

Bennett needs to be at center, Ryan is a great back stop to move up and down the line up and for the brief time they left Bennett with Ryan and Dube it looked great.  Having said that Lucic was good on the draw and we all know how that Benny, Dube and Luc line was in the playoffs.  I kind of wonder if it will be as potent in the regular season though.

I like giving Buddy more time and the possible big positive for next year will be Gawdin, lets hope the Maki is back and fit.

All in all Looks decent.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Less than his QO, signing for less will make him more likely to make this team.

a bit surprised on that for sure but figured Treliving was going to play hardball on these guys with his limited cap space. 

That may back fire with Mangiapange but we'll see. 

2 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

So somehow Mlt has enough cap space to give Gallagher a 6x6 contract...I thought they had no cap space? 

They don't. That is an extension that doesn't start until next off season. 

He's under contract for 3.75Mill for this season. 

Crazy Toffoli gets 4.25 and Gallagher gets 6.5 with more term. Explain that. If I am Toffoli I am pissed. If I am Hoffman I am jumoing up and down and asking for 7.5 even if he is a little soft.