The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
robrob74

UFA 2020, Who’d You Sign?

The dollar amount is actually good IMO i'ts the term that scares me. I have a hard time seeing Gallagher playing at this level for 7 more years. 

But something to consider is since 17-18 Gallagher is 5th in 5 on 5 goals. He trails only Crosby, Ovechkin, Mathews and and McDavid.

He is a really, really productive player. Much better than Mike Hoffman. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlameFan4Life said:

Crazy Toffoli gets 4.25 and Gallagher gets 6.5 with more term. Explain that. If I am Toffoli I am pissed. If I am Hoffman I am jumoing up and down and asking for 7.5 even if he is a little soft.

Players like Toffoli are so easy to find. One dimensional winger.

Players like Gallagher are so hard to acquire and therefore so valuable. He’s their Tkachuk. Hard to find players with skill and bite these days .

3 hours ago, zima said:

What do you ppl think about having an all Canadian season?

As long as there is hockey on the menu I don't care who we play.

One division in Canada, three divisions in the states.

A Canadian team should reach the conference finals. 

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

$6.5-mil x 6..  yikes.  Too much for 50-point player.  I like Gallagher but he high end offense just isn't there.

Well that escalated quickly. Yesterday he is on the block.

Today Bergevin strokes another $39,000,000.00 million dollar cheque.

Someone take the cheque book away from that dude.

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 4:11 PM, FlameFan4Life said:

We all seem to agree that Ryan on the third line is where his value or contract is best suited, he is a right shoot and Bennett needs time at center. Why not use Ryans right shot on the third RW slot? He can he at faceoffs and his defensive hustle helps Bennett at the center position next year.

On a small note, I think if we play Buddy Robinson full time we come out ahead if he is eating the ice time that would have went to Janko. Buddy can score, he has a long stick for those penalty kills like Janko but he also hits alot and brings a toughness that Janko never did.

Mange with Tkachuk and Backlund for a whole season after building such good chemistry will be like we actually did sign a new player. So if Dube can play a full season with the energy he brings to the third line could be huge if he takes a step forward this year like Mange did last year.

After down years for some, steps forward for others, and the knowledge we have a solid stay at home Dman coming in along with Valamki full time (cross your fingers it is a hole season) and Andersen with a very solid year completed, I am starting to feel that the future is not a bleek as some are saying.

Every year people on hear vent due to not adding that one big piece here or there. We are one year removed from a 1st in the west finish, 50 wins, 107 pts. The difference from that season to last season was what? Neal and Smith...lol please don't tell me they were that important to the team. We gave alot of playing time to RFA's last year that in most cases excelled. Lucic found his stride later in the season and shinned when we needed his playoff gear he brought it. Yes TJ and Hamonic are gone but Tanev makes Hamonic a wash and Brodie wanted to be in TO so Andersen get's a bigger role which I am very much ok with.  OOOh wait we have a new fu&%ing goalie. How as a whole can we not think this team is better right now then we performed last year as a whole.

Yeah I am being very optimistic and I would like something new and shinny but Leivo would be enough for me. We finally need to allow some guys to fight for there spot from within and I believe adding Markstom may show that next year we are going to be letting the leash out a bit.  JUST SAYING.

Also, I believe Valimaki is an upgrade over Brodie, it may take him 20 games but we will see the value in Val soon enough

• Like 1

Interesting note in the Athletic today. Gio and Tanev are workout buddies in the off season. Gio called him to give him a pitch and help sell him on Calgary. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Interesting note in the Athletic today. Gio and Tanev are workout buddies in the off season. Gio called him to give him a pitch and help sell him on Calgary. 

Maybe Gio is tired of banging and crashing with him best way to solve the problem make him a team mate smart move Gio

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

well that leaves Hoffman as the last free agent that might help us

Barring a trade I don’t believe we can afford Hoffman. It’s looking more and more like we’re heading into 2021 with the same group of forwards and ultimately expecting different results. Sounds crazy lol but there’s still time. Personally I’m happy we landed Markstrom but I don’t believe we are necessarily a better team with our current roster 

In the thought about acquiring Hoffman.

If Ottawa signed Hoffman for a 1 year 6m contract.

and then traded Hoffman 50% RS to Calgary for Ryan and draft picks ie. (2021 2nd and 3rd)

This is 1 way that we could get Hoffman but is Ottawa willing to spend 3 m for 2 picks and is Hoffman willing to take 6m for 1 year?

38 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

and then traded Hoffman 50% RS to Calgary for Ryan and draft picks ie. (2021 2nd and 3rd)

This is 1 way that we could get Hoffman but is Ottawa willing to spend 3 m for 2 picks and is Hoffman willing to take 6m for 1 year?

I think that's unlikely I also think it's unlikely the NHL would approve this deal as it wreaks of collusion. Sets a very bad precedent. 

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think that's unlikely I also think it's unlikely the NHL would approve this deal as it wreaks of collusion. Sets a very bad precedent. 

It could set "as you say" a bad precedent; but less so than what I believed Vegas did on the expansion draft taking draft picks to select or not select certain players.

1 minute ago, redfire11 said:

It could set "as you say" a bad precedent; but less so than what I believed Vegas did on the expansion draft taking draft picks to select or not select certain players.

While correct, the difference there is the NHL needed to justify a half a billion dollar investment.  

And there are many executives around the league, GMs and owners, that hated the expansion draft process and are still bitter towards Vegas for it. Feel the league was way too favorable with them. 

1 hour ago, redfire11 said:

Could we sign Hoffman for $8-mil 1-year and then buy him out to re-sign him at league minimum for two years?

Or buyout period is over?

23 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Could we sign Hoffman for $8-mil 1-year and then buy him out to re-sign him at league minimum for two years?

Or buyout period is over?

On a standard contract I don't see any benefit to the player.  Unless he knows for a fact he won't get more than 3.5.  Plus whats to stop another team post buyout from coming in with an offer, you really putting in faith that they will sign a min contract, if another team comes back with a multi year contract-multi million dollar deal.  I wouldn't even attempt that if it was allowed.

6 minutes ago, sak22 said:

On a standard contract I don't see any benefit to the player.  Unless he knows for a fact he won't get more than 3.5.  Plus whats to stop another team post buyout from coming in with an offer, you really putting in faith that they will sign a min contract, if another team comes back with a multi year contract-multi million dollar deal.  I wouldn't even attempt that if it was allowed.

Because collusion.

The buyout window is closed but the 2nd buyout window will open for the Flames now that Mangiapange has elected arbitration. 

I also doubt the NHL approves that contract. Pretty easy case there for cap circumvention. 

28 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Via Michael Stone last season.  Gave him a wink wink nudge nudge and helped us save cap space while he got his money.

There was no wink or nudge with Stone, and no real beneficiaries, Stone lost half a mil out of it and the Flames have 1.2 in dead space this year. he had a month and a bit to find other takers if he wanted to, the desire to bring him back stemmed from Valimaki being lost for the season.  I don't know why Hoffman signs a deal for 8 to wind up taking less.

3 minutes ago, sak22 said:

There was no wink or nudge with Stone, and no real beneficiaries, Stone lost half a mil out of it and the Flames have 1.2 in dead space this year. he had a month and a bit to find other takers if he wanted to, the desire to bring him back stemmed from Valimaki being lost for the season.  I don't know why Hoffman signs a deal for 8 to wind up taking less.

Okay 10 then.  There's a number that would work for both sides.  Just saying...