Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
JTech780

Calgary Flames 20/21 Roster and Lines

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Sobieit said:

I agree.  I think he isn't a strong skater and he plays a similar game to Monahan.  They need a good skater, someone who can forecheck, hit and wear opponents down.

 

Have they ever tried Gaudreau Monahan Bennett? I can't remember if this has ever been done with all three together.

Then Mang Backlund Leivo would be alright.

 

When Bennett worked himself to the front of the net wide freaking open with the puck only to once again for the hundredth time, sail the puck 2 feet over the net, I think that's all there is to say about Bennett.  Keep him in the bottom 6 where he belongs.

 

We need to find one more top 6 RW.  Dube has looked good but we need another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Going back to that bottom 6 is madness.

 

At least Rittich is back.

What didn't work before is the solution I guess.

Try, try, try again and again.

Force the lines to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

 

When Bennett worked himself to the front of the net wide freaking open with the puck only to once again for the hundredth time, sail the puck 2 feet over the net, I think that's all there is to say about Bennett.  Keep him in the bottom 6 where he belongs.

 

We need to find one more top 6 RW.  Dube has looked good but we need another.

 

I would be fine with Mangiapane in the top 6.

Leave the shutdown line for player that can shutdown only.

2 scoring lines is all you really need.

Park the 4th line if they are not doing much.

Play Simon over Ryan.

Or Ryan over Lucic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

I would be fine with Mangiapane in the top 6.

Leave the shutdown line for player that can shutdown only.

2 scoring lines is all you really need.

Park the 4th line if they are not doing much.

Play Simon over Ryan.

Or Ryan over Lucic.

 

Mange and Tkachuk did well together last season.  Maybe it has to be,

 

Mangiapane - Lindholm - Tkachuk

Gaudreau - Monahan - Dube

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me there is a quick easy fix for next game:

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Dube

This line was very good last night keep it intact.

 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Simon 

Simon looked great on this line in the scrimmage.

 

Bennett-Backlund-Mangiapane

Looked great in the 3rd period.

 

Lucic-Ryan-Leivo

This line won't get hurried in their own zone.

 

I think those lines allow you to roll 4 lines pretty effectively.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

 

When Bennett worked himself to the front of the net wide freaking open with the puck only to once again for the hundredth time, sail the puck 2 feet over the net, I think that's all there is to say about Bennett.  Keep him in the bottom 6 where he belongs.

 

We need to find one more top 6 RW.  Dube has looked good but we need another.

 

Personally, I feel that Bennett doesn't get enough looks/opportunities to shoot in that spot so when he does it goes wide. I think if he had more opportunity he'd eventually adjust. The speed of the game is different, and the fact he got to that spot was good, then there is the "do I have to rush a shot, do I have time?" that factors into it. For me, it's just not having the reps in that kind of position. He is hardly ever in the position to have that chance unless it's with guys he hardly ever plays with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

 

Personally, I feel that Bennett doesn't get enough looks/opportunities to shoot in that spot so when he does it goes wide. I think if he had more opportunity he'd eventually adjust. The speed of the game is different, and the fact he got to that spot was good, then there is the "do I have to rush a shot, do I have time?" that factors into it. For me, it's just not having the reps in that kind of position. He is hardly ever in the position to have that chance unless it's with guys he hardly ever plays with.

 

I saw the same as Peeps.

TBH, I haven't seen him score hat I would call a snipe in quite some time.

Maybe I forget, but I see a lot of in close pushing it in.

Or a deflected shot.

 

I don;t know if it's a flex thing or what, but he is top corner or nothing.

He can't seem to shoot it close to ice level.

He does not have a shot like Monahan.

He has a hard shot, but that's about t.

 

Maybe I'm too hard on him.

I get more frustrated than excited.

He scores when the ice is smaller (playoffs) and he beat the puck into the net.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been going back and forth on the line combos and trying to see if there was a trade for PLD, and how that makes our lines better. But I feel like I keep coming up empty, other than completely messing with Johnny and Money.

 

my new idea:

Tkachuk - Lindy - Dube

Gaudreau - Bennett - Monahan 

Mangiapane - Backlund - Simon

Lucic - Ryan/Leivo - Leivo/Nordstrom

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i since Ward is insistent on playinf 4 lines regardless.. i'd fix those lines first.. then play around with the top 2 lines..

 

 

Line 3.. magiapane/bennett/dube

line 4.... Lucic/backlund/ryan

 

top 2 lines..Tkachuk/Monahan/Simon

                   Gaudreau/Lindholm/Leivo

 

Nordstrom to reserve and will play in place of Lucic most oftenon. defence.. Gio is slowingdown so let him mentor Valamaki whii will be the offence driveronthat Paring,, Anderson with hanafin and Tanev with nesterov

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

That looks much better.

 

Bennett adds a better defensive element to that line, but I question if he's effective as a RW.

I think Ward is sensing that Leivo is a 20 goal scorer and was just out of practice last game.

But there are so many options for lines.

I'm interested to see Dube build on his time with Tkachuk.

I'm not as high on Leivo as Mangiapane.

Simple switch:

Move Leivo down and Simon up.

 

Other option using Mangiapane in a more offensive role:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Mangiapane

Bennett-Backlund-Leivo

 

With the defense, I wonder if we are seeing where Ras is now the dominant player and we are looking for the guy to play 2nd most minutes with him.

Gio - had some good shifts, but he looks similar to his play in the playoffs.

Hanifin - played really well with Ras, but maybe not the greatest complement to Tanev.

Valimaki - 14 minutes of pretty even play, but nothing really standing out yet
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What if they made a line of lucic - bennett - Simon (similar to Dube)

that would leave chucky-Lindy-Dube 

you could bump mang up with Johnny and money

that gives you a very defensive responsible line of Leivo-backs-Ryan 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

Bennett adds a better defensive element to that line, but I question if he's effective as a RW.

I think Ward is sensing that Leivo is a 20 goal scorer and was just out of practice last game.

But there are so many options for lines.

I'm interested to see Dube build on his time with Tkachuk.

I'm not as high on Leivo as Mangiapane.

Simple switch:

Move Leivo down and Simon up.

 

Other option using Mangiapane in a more offensive role:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Mangiapane

Bennett-Backlund-Leivo

 

With the defense, I wonder if we are seeing where Ras is now the dominant player and we are looking for the guy to play 2nd most minutes with him.

Gio - had some good shifts, but he looks similar to his play in the playoffs.

Hanifin - played really well with Ras, but maybe not the greatest complement to Tanev.

Valimaki - 14 minutes of pretty even play, but nothing really standing out yet
 

 

I do think that Ward wants a RHS playing with Gaudreau and Monahan and I think that is why Leivo will get an extended look there.

 

I didn't look great last game, but Leivo is coming off not playing in a year, he didn't play in the Edmonton bubble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

 

There goes Bennett playing Center again...

 

I would like to see him play center, but more importantly I want to see him play with quality linemates. He gets the table scraps of linemates far too often.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too would like to see Bennett at center with quality wingers.

That said, he looked much better when he was playing with Backs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

 

I do think that Ward wants a RHS playing with Gaudreau and Monahan and I think that is why Leivo will get an extended look there.

 

I didn't look great last game, but Leivo is coming off not playing in a year, he didn't play in the Edmonton bubble.

 

Dube is a wildcard.

He plays well enough at RW to be a big difference maker.

He did it with Bennett and Lucic.

He looks good with Tkachuk.

But I think Dube with Monahan and Mangiapane back with Tkachuk could do noth lines wonder.

Lindholm is a better finisher than Backlund, so I think that line will score.

 

Mangiapane-Lindholm-Tkachuk

Gaudreau-Monahan-Dube

Bennett-Backlund-Leivo

Lucic-Ryan-Simon

 

It leaves Simon on the 4th line.  Then again, that may not be a bad thing.

They would be good forechecking.

Ryan provides some chances for Lucic to score.

Simon gets the puck off the boards.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

Dube is a wildcard.

He plays well enough at RW to be a big difference maker.

He did it with Bennett and Lucic.

He looks good with Tkachuk.

But I think Dube with Monahan and Mangiapane back with Tkachuk could do noth lines wonder.

Lindholm is a better finisher than Backlund, so I think that line will score.

 

Mangiapane-Lindholm-Tkachuk

Gaudreau-Monahan-Dube

Bennett-Backlund-Leivo

Lucic-Ryan-Simon

 

It leaves Simon on the 4th line.  Then again, that may not be a bad thing.

They would be good forechecking.

Ryan provides some chances for Lucic to score.

Simon gets the puck off the boards.

 

I like the fact people are starting to see line # is not the key aka top line, shutdown 3rd or checking 4th line...that’s old school hockey which the rules were built to support...the new betman style he’s been bringing in dose not support that mindset which so many of us grew up with, the new style hockey which many top team have adopted for years now (pits, Col, TB etc..) are top teams, because they have balance up and down the line up and don’t relay on a single person or the top two lines to score...

 

I really like the above line combo here it’s in the mindset of having a balanced 4 lines...I’d move players around a little different but this is the key to being successful in the NHL now...20 years ago not so much, but in the 2000’s this is the way to be a top team.

 

having said all that, I’m still of the mindset we need a another mid level reliable D and 2 RW’s capable of playing top 6...yes I said top 6 but more of a expectation of the type of player we need not in terms of where they play here...Anyway, in an ideal world I’d love to see a RW like Tachuck to slot in with JG and Monahan and another RW more of a platemaker style to slot in with Tachuck and Lindholm. 
 

as for the other two lines, it would be 

 

Manji-Bennet-Livo

Luch-Backlund-Simon

 

yes I realize Dube is not there, he’s great and all but we have Manji and in being honest we already have:

 

Gaudreau

Manji

 

all small skilled shifty guys but the forward lines need more size and power.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would prefer Bennett at center too but as long as the flames are determined to play Lindholm at center it can’t happen. Bennett playing with quality line mates in a top 9 role >>>>>>>>Bennett playing 4th line center with scraps again. 

ive really liked Bennett game so far (minus the bad penalty on Peterson) and I really like the Mang-Backs-Benny line. Hope to see Ward keep that one together for a while. 


I think Ward should stick with last nights lineup for a while here. The only question I have is Leivo. He isn’t adding much to that line (has made a few good defensive plays) but I’m also willing to give any new player more leash. 2 games,no preseason, isn’t far to say he isn’t working imo. 
 

but so far every other line has shown enough promise to give them some opportunity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was skeptical about Lindholm at C, and I know it has been a really small sample size, but that Tkachuk-Lindholm-Dube line has been really good through two games. 

 

I see a lot of similarities to the Marchand-Bergeeon-Pasternak line, in their ability to play the any way you need them to play and to be elite at both ends of the ice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ritchie signed (2 way league minimym) and placed on waivers.

Can't tell yet what his AHL (taxi or AHL) salary is yet.

Buddy may be headed for the AHL list.

Kinda hope it's Rinaldo, since I care less about a guy that barely can play 6 minutes.

 

As far as the Mangiapane-Backlund-Bennett line, I think they might consider swapping Mange and Leivo.

I'm not seeing enough at 5v5 for Monahan's line, and Mange would give Gaudreau some better options.

You could also use Bennett on LW that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...