Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Thebrewcrew

Connor Zary- 2020 1st round pick

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, zima said:

I don't understand why ppl here seem to be ok with drafting NCAA players it is a crap shoot if the player become a phenom he Shirly will  not play for the flame when he can choose what ever team he wants although a few have picked Calgary most don't and we lose a quality pick to someone else and that scares me plus you have to wait 4 yrs to find out if he will play for use any way.

 

 

The extreme cases have a player wait out 4 years to sign with any team.

We tried to sign Fox and he chose to stay another year in the NCAA.

At the time, we were heavy on D, so he may have felt there was no opportunity here.

We signed Gaudreau even though there were people here who had inside info he wasn't signing.

 

The biggest risk with the NCAA is they play a small amount of teams so you don't always get a good idea of the player.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So then Tim was not a NCAA just a swede if thats the case how was he able to op out of playing for the Flames or did he just refuse ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Erixon didn’t want to sign. Claimed there was too much defensive depth and he wouldn’t get a chance. Reality was he wanted to play in New York. 
 

the NCAA “rule” is overblown. There is leverage for any player out there regardless of what league they are picked out of, should they want to use it. The rule isn’t even different for NCAA player or junior players the only difference is you usually can’t play 4 years in junior. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Connor Zary with quite the highlight reel pass. Kid has such good hockey sense. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zary's season appears to be done due to a head injury sustained in a game. 

 

Sucks and really hope this isn't a long term thing.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's all I can find.

 

He gets up under his own power and skates toward the bench but then collapses on the ice and needs help,

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Zary out week to week with a fractured ankle....

According to TSN.

 

Ouch.  Hard to trade him to BUF if he's injured right?  j/k

 

At this point, I would say Zary is our highest ceiling prospect (haven't seen enough of Coronato yet).  He actually has an outside chance to become a 1st liner... maybe 50/50.  Hope he can get back to it quickly and have a good season in Stockton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Just can't catch a break

 

He did actually catch a break, albeit a small-ish one.

 

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

 

Ouch.  Hard to trade him to BUF if he's injured right?  j/k

 

At this point, I would say Zary is our highest ceiling prospect (haven't seen enough of Coronato yet).  He actually has an outside chance to become a 1st liner... maybe 50/50.  Hope he can get back to it quickly and have a good season in Stockton.

 

Accounts for Eichel's risk doesn't it?

 

I would suspect he is more of a Backlund than a Monahan.

Good offense, but smarter as a two way player.

But that is for the future.  He's young to the point of being part of a future wave.

The 5th wave....

They should be playing the crap out of him in the AHL with Pelletier and find the right RW for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2021 at 9:36 AM, travel_dude said:

 

He did actually catch a break, albeit a small-ish one.

 

 

Accounts for Eichel's risk doesn't it?

 

I would suspect he is more of a Backlund than a Monahan.

Good offense, but smarter as a two way player.

But that is for the future.  He's young to the point of being part of a future wave.

The 5th wave....

They should be playing the crap out of him in the AHL with Pelletier and find the right RW for them.

 

They have that in Francis.   He stood out with the rookies.  Stood out more than Zary did actually.   We can debate the NHL potential but in the AHL it's pretty clear cut, unless Pospisal muddies the waters there.

 

I said this before the ankle and I'll see it again, Zary needs to not get injured.   He has raw skill but seems to lack a certain awareness, which is pretty common with players his age.  

 

It often doesn't get developed until around the age of 22.   Until then he needs be a little extra careful.  He absolutely cannot have a concussion this season.  That needs to be is #1 goal, full stop.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

 

They have that in Francis.   He stood out with the rookies.  Stood out more than Zary did actually.   We can debate the NHL potential but in the AHL it's pretty clear cut, unless Pospisal muddies the waters there.

 

I said this before the ankle and I'll see it again, Zary needs to not get injured.   He has raw skill but seems to lack a certain awareness, which is pretty common with players his age.  

 

It often doesn't get developed until around the age of 22.   Until then he needs be a little extra careful.  He absolutely cannot have a concussion this season.  That needs to be is #1 goal, full stop.

 

 

 

I'm not sure how you prevent an ankle injury blocking a shot, other than not blocking a shot.

He needs to learn how to do it with his shin pads if he's going to last.

Then again, shouldn't this be D with bigger pads?

Like the compete, but doing it in a nothing game is too risky.

 

As far as the concussion, there are douchebags in every league.

He was blindsided, so he can't really prevent one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

I'm not sure how you prevent an ankle injury blocking a shot, other than not blocking a shot.

He needs to learn how to do it with his shin pads if he's going to last.

Then again, shouldn't this be D with bigger pads?

Like the compete, but doing it in a nothing game is too risky.

 

As far as the concussion, there are douchebags in every league.

He was blindsided, so he can't really prevent one.

 

With regards to the shot blocking while I do agree it's sometime not preventable, you did sort of answer your own question there.  I might add that facing the shooter is a lot better than taking the shot to the side of your leg.

 

His concussion was absolutely 100% preventable imho, not sure if the hit was but definitely the concussion.  I do agree there are douchebags, which may or may not have been the case here.    We can debate whether the hit was intentional or not and I'm not sure that there's a clear answer, but to have your head down following the puck and not see a guy standing right in front of you for a good 3-5 seconds and just glide into the collision totally unprepared, open-chested, arms down, head down, he would be in the hospital if that happened in the NHL and he would't come out for a long time.   You absolutely cannot leave yourself unaware and exposed from the front for that long in pro hockey, especially the NHL.  Development needed there.

 

Good to see that the staff took him out of the lineup right away though.   That used to not happen and we'd lost a lot of prospects to that.

 

p.s....also if Zary has a mouth on him, he needs to lose that mouth imho.   Not that it's always bad, but he's going to be spending too much time as a top Center on open ice against the toughest defenders to have a mouth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

 

With regards to the shot blocking while I do agree it's sometime not preventable, you did sort of answer your own question there.  I might add that facing the shooter is a lot better than taking the shot to the side of your leg.

 

His concussion was absolutely 100% preventable imho, not sure if the hit was but definitely the concussion.  I do agree there are douchebags, which may or may not have been the case here.    We can debate whether the hit was intentional or not and I'm not sure that there's a clear answer, but to have your head down following the puck and not see a guy standing right in front of you for a good 3-5 seconds and just glide into the collision totally unprepared, open-chested, arms down, head down, he would be in the hospital if that happened in the NHL and he would't come out for a long time.   You absolutely cannot leave yourself unaware and exposed from the front for that long in pro hockey, especially the NHL.  Development needed there.

 

Good to see that the staff took him out of the lineup right away though.   That used to not happen and we'd lost a lot of prospects to that.

 

p.s....also if Zary has a mouth on him, he needs to lose that mouth imho.   Not that it's always bad, but he's going to be spending too much time as a top Center on open ice against the toughest defenders to have a mouth.

 

https://cfjctoday.com/2021/04/29/blazers-lose-to-cougars-zary-injured-expected-to-miss-games/

 

Attached is a link to the hit....

Look at the 2nd video (coach interview around 5:05 point).  Not sure how you can say the concussion was preventable.

That doesn't make any sense.

He didn't have 3-5 seconds to expect the hit.

Shoulder to head.

Head up, wouldn't matter if he didn't turn his head to follow the play, there was no time to brace for a headshot.

How do you even brace for that?  Fall under it?  Perhaps.  Jump up so you get it in the chest?

Not even enough time to do that.

 

Pretty easy decision to take him out when he fell over after getting to the bench.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

https://cfjctoday.com/2021/04/29/blazers-lose-to-cougars-zary-injured-expected-to-miss-games/

 

Attached is a link to the hit....

Look at the 2nd video (coach interview around 5:05 point).  Not sure how you can say the concussion was preventable.

That doesn't make any sense.

He didn't have 3-5 seconds to expect the hit.

Shoulder to head.

Head up, wouldn't matter if he didn't turn his head to follow the play, there was no time to brace for a headshot.

How do you even brace for that?  Fall under it?  Perhaps.  Jump up so you get it in the chest?

Not even enough time to do that.

 

Pretty easy decision to take him out when he fell over after getting to the bench.

 

 

Keeping your head up can prevent a LOT of concussions and it is absolutely no coincidence here that his head was down.

 

I'm not super motivated to go into depth, but it was really Zary who hit the defenceman, way out of position, flirting with the puck into the corner in some kind of weird lacrosse move with his head down like he was the only one there.    The D was braced for it, Zary wasn't.  Because the D had his head up, and Zary didn't.   Zary knocked himself out with his own momentum, just facts.  Yes, from the D, but it was Zary's own momentum which created the force.   As can be seen in the D's straightened right leg.   Even when they hit, Zary was staring at the other end of the ice as the puck was being carried up.  You can't head into the boards like that and any of us who were taught hockey as kids had it drilled into us to keep our heads up.    If his head was up he would have been braced (if the hit still occurred), and the D probably would have taken the brunt of it.

 

Keep your head up, 

 

Keep your head up,

 

Keep your head.  Up.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2021 at 2:17 PM, jjgallow said:

 

Keeping your head up can prevent a LOT of concussions and it is absolutely no coincidence here that his head was down.

 

I'm not super motivated to go into depth, but it was really Zary who hit the defenceman, way out of position, flirting with the puck into the corner in some kind of weird lacrosse move with his head down like he was the only one there.    The D was braced for it, Zary wasn't.  Because the D had his head up, and Zary didn't.   Zary knocked himself out with his own momentum, just facts.  Yes, from the D, but it was Zary's own momentum which created the force.   As can be seen in the D's straightened right leg.   Even when they hit, Zary was staring at the other end of the ice as the puck was being carried up.  You can't head into the boards like that and any of us who were taught hockey as kids had it drilled into us to keep our heads up.    If his head was up he would have been braced (if the hit still occurred), and the D probably would have taken the brunt of it.

 

Keep your head up, 

 

Keep your head up,

 

Keep your head.  Up.

 

 

You must look for conspiracy theories in messages.

Like the 14 words being a supremist code?

How does getting hit by a player translate to you to knocking himself out.

 

Anyway, I will let you alone with your bizare interpretation.

You must have been watching the feed on your side to come up with that.

Poor innocent player that was hit by Zary's chin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

You must look for conspiracy theories in messages.

Like the 14 words being a supremist code?

How does getting hit by a player translate to you to knocking himself out.

 

Anyway, I will let you alone with your bizare interpretation.

You must have been watching the feed on your side to come up with that.

Poor innocent player that was hit by Zary's chin.

 

wat

 

Anyway, I never said it was a fair or clean hit.    I just said Zary needs to keep his head up.   I said that...before he hurt himself (again), and I'm still saying it.

If you think that's odd then we were taught very differently and are both likely too old to change lol.

 

Hopefully Zary still can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, jjgallow said:

 

wat

 

Anyway, I never said it was a fair or clean hit.    I just said Zary needs to keep his head up.   I said that...before he hurt himself (again), and I'm still saying it.

If you think that's odd then we were taught very differently and are both likely too old to change lol.

 

Hopefully Zary still can.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I watch the link on Zary the coach gave him a raving review saying he is probably one of the best players in that league so he was picked pretty high in the Draft why is that are they saying the WHL is not comparable to the OHL or the Q ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, zima said:

So I watch the link on Zary the coach gave him a raving review saying he is probably one of the best players in that league so he was picked pretty high in the Draft why is that are they saying the WHL is not comparable to the OHL or the Q ?

 

The OHL is the gravitational center of junior hockey, just as Toronto is the center of the known universe.

 

It is important that all Canadians appreciate the true dominance of the OHL over other Canadian junior leagues, as this is the natural order of things that keeps this great nation together.

 

Junior hockey outside of Canada, as we all know, is but a shadow of the game and in fact does not truly exist outside of North America.   Although some individuals can later be taught to play hockey once they have obtained the necessary Ontario citizenship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...