Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Thebrewcrew

2021 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Chaz Lucius is the guy I hope the Flames have on their radar. I think he has the chance to be the steal of the draft If he slides to the teens. On pure talent I don’t think there is a large difference between Lucius and Beniers, i in could argue there isn’t one.  
 

reminds me a lot of Lindholm 

 

We seem to only draft players out of the US in later rounds.

Might just be circumstance, but we focus on CHL and Europe a lot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

 

We seem to only draft players out of the US in later rounds.

Might just be circumstance, but we focus on CHL and Europe a lot. 


 

and europe seems to be a more recent phenomenon. I guess there was Backlund back in the day. There goes my theory... lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, robrob74 said:


 

and europe seems to be a more recent phenomenon. I guess there was Backlund back in the day. There goes my theory... lol

 

Loob has a big input over there, so that's only in the last number of tears IIRC.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

Loob has a big input over there, so that's only in the last number of tears IIRC.

 


 

and I think that’s great! Like, maybe the Euro scouts would have levied for Pastranak or someone European in that draft. Although it would have been a stretch considering how far back he was taken by the Bruins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

We seem to only draft players out of the US in later rounds.

Might just be circumstance, but we focus on CHL and Europe a lot. 


Their two best picks of the last decade come from the US. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I am torn between two debates here, but...

 

With regards to us targeting a center:

1.  It's not the draft to do it.  Obviously the few top forwards will rank far higher than they normally would, and the top defencemen lower than normal.
2.  MORE importantly, it's Absolutely the wrong time for our organisation.  We're rebuilding.   It may not be official yet but it's pretty clear, there's no other way.
          Acquiring forwards instead of G/D will drag the rebuild out much longer than it needs to be, or, more likely, botch it entirely.

 

If there were ever a draft to acquire G/D, it's this one.   If there were ever a year where the Flames should acquire G/D, it's this one.

 

I fundamentally need to point out that targeting forwards ahead of defence/goaltending for our future is counterproductive, ludicrous, bad math, bad planning, bad hockey, bad timing, and short sighted.  100%.  Let's not mince words.  Let's get it together.

 

But.

 

I will say this.   BPA, which I do believe in, would technically allow us to pick a forward if it so happened.    Odds of this Truly happening are maybe 15% at best.  So this draft is Extra hard for us to screw up.   If BPA is a forward...ok.    But in that case, and in this draft, I would literally upgrade to the next BPA D or G.  If at all possible.  Or make a subsequent trade.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

 

I am torn between two debates here, but...

 

With regards to us targeting a center:

1.  It's not the draft to do it.  Obviously the few top forwards will rank far higher than they normally would, and the top defencemen lower than normal.
2.  MORE importantly, it's Absolutely the wrong time for our organisation.  We're rebuilding.   It may not be official yet but it's pretty clear, there's no other way.
          Acquiring forwards instead of G/D will drag the rebuild out much longer than it needs to be, or, more likely, botch it entirely.

 

If there were ever a draft to acquire G/D, it's this one.   If there were ever a year where the Flames should acquire G/D, it's this one.

 

I fundamentally need to point out that targeting forwards ahead of defence/goaltending for our future is counterproductive, ludicrous, bad math, bad planning, bad hockey, bad timing, and short sighted.  100%.  Let's not mince words.  Let's get it together.

 

But.

 

I will say this.   BPA, which I do believe in, would technically allow us to pick a forward if it so happened.    Odds of this Truly happening are maybe 15% at best.  So this draft is Extra hard for us to screw up.   If BPA is a forward...ok.    But in that case, and in this draft, I would literally upgrade to the next BPA D or G.  If at all possible.  Or make a subsequent trade.


What happens if it's a RW? Oh Boy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cross16 said:


Their two best picks of the last decade come from the US. 

 

I was not saying Americans, I was talking about where they were drafted out of.

We didn't draft Tkachuk out of the US.

I was including Gaudreau in the later rounds.

Did I miss someone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

I was not saying Americans, I was talking about where they were drafted out of.

We didn't draft Tkachuk out of the US.

I was including Gaudreau in the later rounds.

Did I miss someone?

 

Adam Fox.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jjgallow said:

 

Adam Fox.   

 

Ya got me there.  Also a cautionary tale of player attitudes.  

Perhaps it's only an East Coast thing where players from certain areas only want to play for the Rags.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McKenzie's updated top 32

 

Raty starting to fall. bit of a shake up in the top 10 which makes sense in this draft class. But there does seem to be consensus forming on the top 8-10. I think it drops off after that. 

 

Power is also now the unanimous number one on the scouts that McKenzie surveyed. They all had him number 1 which is a change from the start of the year.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there was a year to trade back in the draft, this would be the year, especially if we aren't drafting in the top 10.  After the top 10 this draft is all over the place, I would drop back and pick up as many picks as I could, like they did last year. With the lack of games played and the lack of in person scouting there is bound to be some nice hidden gems in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. May as well get as many lottery tickets as you can. 

 

Matthew Coronato and Zachary L'Heureux are two guys later in the 1st round that I would have my eyes on.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

Ya got me there.  Also a cautionary tale of player attitudes.  

Perhaps it's only an East Coast thing where players from certain areas only want to play for the Rags.

 

 

I blame Treliving but yeah some of those attitudes are appalling.

 

Life has a way of evening the score.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doubt this affects his stock but won't be on opportunity to see Sillinger on a bigger stage

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cross16 said:

McKenzie's updated top 32

 

Raty starting to fall. bit of a shake up in the top 10 which makes sense in this draft class. But there does seem to be consensus forming on the top 8-10. I think it drops off after that. 

 

Power is also now the unanimous number one on the scouts that McKenzie surveyed. They all had him number 1 which is a change from the start of the year.  

 

 

 

When Lambo?

 

Since we are drafting 15th this year.  We going to miss the playoffs by 1-point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

With us out of playoffs what is our likely drafting spot


Seattle gets 3rd best odds, so if you count down winning percentage from bottom to top, place the Kraken in the third spot and that’s where we are prelottery.


 

I think it looks like we are at #9 at the moment. We were as low as 6th. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the chance, the Flames strongly need to consider trading down if they pick in the 10-12 range. There are a few clusters of similar players outside the top 10

 

I've seen a fair bit of guys like Sillinger, L'Heureux, Bolduc, Pinnelli, Dean and even Sillinger, there's not a lot separating them. I'd consider the players I listed to be relatively similar, if you're the Flames and you like those players, you can get one of them in the 20's. 

 

The issue would be you need to find a dance partner. Teams typically fall in love with the players at the combine when they can get the player in a room with the staff. That won't be happening this year. It might be a year with very few trade-up scenarios.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The_Snowbear said:

Yeah but now i dont understand it mind you but they have changed the drafting rules etc for the drafts now


 

I just look at the winning percentage right now of each team as a prediction of where teams might finish. We could finish Higher. 
 

but the trend seems to be about where we are at now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching the Canada v Sweden U18 game, and a couple of guys who have caught my eye for picks outside the 1st round.

 

Chase Stillman: Physical RW, plays with good pace, hard on the puck, good size.

 

Victor Sjoholm: Small RHS D, skates well, plays with some real bite and emotion.

 

Ryan Winterton: Puck hound, with good size and a good shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We currently pick 10th overall and playing very well.  But, there's actually a decent chance we drop all the way down to #5 if we go on a good slide.  Teams like SJ, LAK, and VAN have games in hand on us.

 

We honestly need to start Domingue or Zagidulin for a game or five down the stretch.

 

57ecgt.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We won't be sliding until we are eliminated.

This weekend could be the end of it.

Or it could mean we are back from the brink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...