Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
JTech780

Seattle Expansion Draft

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

 

Maybe this year is the draft to do it? 

 

Can our 12th move us up with a 2nd or 3rd? 

Or will BT trade down again to get a few more picks like he did last year? Tough to get a read on some of the players this year, so it could be a dangerous game.

 

I could see him trade a 3rd and a 2nd to move up into the early 2nd round.

Or both 3rds for a 2nd.

I don't pretend to know what will be available later and whether they are worth jumping up for or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

I could see him trade a 3rd and a 2nd to move up into the early 2nd round.

Or both 3rds for a 2nd.

I don't pretend to know what will be available later and whether they are worth jumping up for or not.

 

It's a tough call. I guess this is why we are all fans. It's our Soap Opera...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

I don't know about Seattle even considering a 2nd to take Lucic.

If it was that simple, then yes it might make sense.

Loss of a good pick.

 

Maybe give a 2nd if they will take Kylington.  I mean, they may take Kylington anyways and also, Gio may only fetch a 2nd+prospect next TDL anyways.  Lots of reason Kraken will take that offer so we keep Giordano.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, robrob74 said:

 

As much as it is a good idea, I just see too many reasons for trading the picks. They want NHL players now to compete while Sutter is the coach. 

 

Yups.  But it depends what we get I guess.  The 1st is moveable just not something we should use to protect Giordano.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

 

Yups.  But it depends what we get I guess.  The 1st is moveable just not something we should use to protect Giordano.

Exactly it’s time to be realistic he’s gonna be 38 clear player to be exposed in the draft.

 

as for the first I totally agree it’s movable and with that in mind it could make sense to trade it for the right (rw) player…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, The_People1 said:

 

Maybe give a 2nd if they will take Kylington.  I mean, they may take Kylington anyways and also, Gio may only fetch a 2nd+prospect next TDL anyways.  Lots of reason Kraken will take that offer so we keep Giordano.

Or…they take Gio and free up over 5 mil? And keep the picks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just had a thought regarding Gio..  use the loophole we discovered in Michael Stone. Buy him out . Now he's a UFA, but fairly certain his heart is in Calgary . Now Kraken have to look at others ( unless they sign Gio which I feel is unlikely ) ..  you save 4.25M on the cap , use part of that to resign him back 

Part of me thinks thats exactly what Suter will do in Minnestota 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

just had a thought regarding Gio..  use the loophole we discovered in Michael Stone. Buy him out . Now he's a UFA, but fairly certain his heart is in Calgary . Now Kraken have to look at others ( unless they sign Gio which I feel is unlikely ) ..  you save 4.25M on the cap , use part of that to resign him back 

Part of me thinks thats exactly what Suter will do in Minnestota 

Interesting take phoenix. Nay, BRILLIANT! (if they want to keep Gio). For me, personally, I think I'd rather invest in a replacement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Interesting take phoenix. Nay, BRILLIANT! (if they want to keep Gio). For me, personally, I think I'd rather invest in a replacement. 

depending what it takes to sign him again .. you just might be able to .. hes gonna make 2.5 no matter what if u buy him out .. guess it depends where he sees himself in his career .. seems like the 1st guy who'd take a cut to get some player(s ) to put us over the hump 

 

BT woudl just have to be very careful to hide any showings that it was prearranged .. but hey , its not breaking the rules

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

depending what it takes to sign him again .. you just might be bale to .. hes gonna make 2.5 no matter what if u buy him out .. guess it depends where he sees himself in his career .. seems like the 1st guy who'd take a cut to get some player(s ) to put us over the hump 

Is it only $2.5m for Gio x 2 years? I thought it was half his salary this year and half next year for the cap hit, making it $3.375 x 2 years? 

 

Also, anyone else thinking the Weber situation in MTL is a "he's out for the season, but will play game 1 of the playoffs after Montreal spends to the cap at the deadline" kind of plan? I do. Monkey see, monkey do. This is what the league is breeding. 

 

Just saw Yandle is getting bought out by FLA. This Keith trade for the Oil keeps looking worse and worse lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

just had a thought regarding Gio..  use the loophole we discovered in Michael Stone. Buy him out . Now he's a UFA, but fairly certain his heart is in Calgary . Now Kraken have to look at others ( unless they sign Gio which I feel is unlikely ) ..  you save 4.25M on the cap , use part of that to resign him back 

Part of me thinks thats exactly what Suter will do in Minnestota 

That worked with Stone because Stone didn't have demand and missed most the previous season with a blood clot.  Gio played above his salary for most of his contract, which many didn't expect him too.  If the Flames bought out Gio don't expect no hurt feelings there.  Suter also hung up on Guerin and has seemed quite PO'd about the whole thing, he isn't going back to Minnesota

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Is it only $2.5m for Gio x 2 years? I thought it was half his salary this year and half next year for the cap hit, making it $3.375 x 2 years? 

 

Also, anyone else thinking the Weber situation in MTL is a "he's out for the season, but will play game 1 of the playoffs after Montreal spends to the cap at the deadline" kind of plan? I do. Monkey see, monkey do. This is what the league is breeding. 

 

Just saw Yandle is getting bought out by FLA. This Keith trade for the Oil keeps looking worse and worse lol. 

according to Cap Friendly , yes 

 

1 minute ago, sak22 said:

That worked with Stone because Stone didn't have demand and missed most the previous season with a blood clot.  Gio played above his salary for most of his contract, which many didn't expect him too.  If the Flames bought out Gio don't expect no hurt feelings there.  Suter also hung up on Guerin and has seemed quite PO'd about the whole thing, he isn't going back to Minnesota

Not if Gio is in on it ..  pay him his $4m this season .. $1m next .. its like gettng a 1Yr $3.25M extension 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

 

Not if Gio is in on it ..  pay him his $4m this season .. $1m next .. its like gettng a 1Yr $3.25M extension 

Why would he be in on it?  Saying we don't want to pay you what we signed you for 6 years ago is a slap in the face.  As much as we get the idea that he likes the city and would do anything in his power to stay here he has his pride.  If you were let go from your place of employment, and given the opportunity to return for a 3rd of your current salary would you?  I for sure as hell wouldn't.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sak22 said:

 

Why would he be in on it?  Saying we don't want to pay you what we signed you for 6 years ago is a slap in the face.  As much as we get the idea that he likes the city and would do anything in his power to stay here he has his pride.  If you were let go from your place of employment, and given the opportunity to return for a 3rd of your current salary would you?  I for sure as hell wouldn't.  

do the math.. he has one year left at 6.5..   buy him out he gets 2.25.. sign him for 4.25.. hes making his 6.5 this year.. plus gets a guaranteed 2.5 next year he wasnt getting before ..and hes guaranteed to stay in Calgary 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's great that people are thinking about ways of retaining Gio, but I really think we have to move on.

We expose him, he's PO'd.

We trade him, he's PO'd.

We buy him out, he's PO'd.

 

Just cut bait if you can't afford to protect him.

Trade if possible.

Let him go to Seattle, if they truly want him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

do the math.. he has one year left at 6.5..   buy him out he gets 2.25.. sign him for 4.25.. hes making his 6.5 this year.. plus gets a guaranteed 2.5 next year he wasnt getting before ..and hes guaranteed to stay in Calgary 

 

Or sign him for $2m which frees up cap for this upcoming season, and Gio gets his $6.75 spread across 2 years but he also gets to stay in Calgary without worry of being selected. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Or sign him for $2m which frees up cap for this upcoming season, and Gio gets his $6.75 spread across 2 years but he also gets to stay in Calgary without worry of being selected. 

 

You buy him out, it would need to occur today.

But, Seattle could sign him for way more than $2m.  

And we lose someone else on top of Gio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

You buy him out, it would need to occur today.

But, Seattle could sign him for way more than $2m.  

And we lose someone else on top of Gio.

Of course this whole scenario, as phoenix put it, is contingent on Gio and the Flames working together towards a COMMON goal TD.

 

If Gio wants to guarantee he stays in Calgary AND wants to get paid his FULL salary according to his current contract, that can happen if he's willing to compromise, be bought out, with the plan to re-sign again only here. 

 

Of course, this also requires that the team prefers to keep him in Calgary, and is onboard with the idea of buying him out, freeing up cap-space this season at the detriment of next season.

 

Compromises on both sides - but again, if its a COMMON GOAL between the 2 sides, this may be the way to do it in the now trendy "legal loopholes in the NHL" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

do the math.. he has one year left at 6.5..   buy him out he gets 2.25.. sign him for 4.25.. hes making his 6.5 this year.. plus gets a guaranteed 2.5 next year he wasnt getting before ..and hes guaranteed to stay in Calgary 

 

Again don't care about math I partially don't get it.  He's at 6.75 and buying out gets him 2.25 in the next 2 years.  What is that 4.25 are we signing him for?  Seems like a lot of work for not great cap savings.  But again who says he wants to play beyond next year, or with Calgary.  Sure he says the right things and has had the actions to back up that he enjoys the city, but the guy hasn't played in the 2nd round.  I'm not even convinced that if he is still a Flame after the expansion draft that he will even talk to the team about an extension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Of course this whole scenario, as phoenix put it, is contingent on Gio and the Flames working together towards a COMMON goal TD.

 

If Gio wants to guarantee he stays in Calgary AND wants to get paid his FULL salary according to his current contract, that can happen if he's willing to compromise, be bought out, with the plan to re-sign again only here. 

 

Of course, this also requires that the team prefers to keep him in Calgary, and is onboard with the idea of buying him out, freeing up cap-space this season at the detriment of next season.

 

Compromises on both sides - but again, if its a COMMON GOAL between the 2 sides, this may be the way to do it in the now trendy "legal loopholes in the NHL" 

 

Hurt feelings are a very real possible outcome.

Maybe they have had that conversation, but I somehow doubt it.

More likely is that they have talked to Gio and basically said, we can protect you to a certain point, but otherwise it's a trade, you get selected, or you return.

 

We should know soon, but I doubt Seattle lowers the asking price much.

If there is a deal to be made to move him, Gio might even waive his list to go somewhere other than Seattle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brett Ritchie signed to a one year deal.

Now we have the minimum exposure list requirements met.

One year, $900k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Brett Ritchie signed to a one year deal.

Now we have the minimum exposure list requirements met.

One year, $900k.

I like that signing 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Expected and makes them good to go for the expansion draft but I don’t like it. Not a good player and not someone worthy of a regular roster spot and at we know the coach will give him one. They can still bury him in the A so if the plan is just to use this for expansion fodder and go a different direction then I’d be happy. 
 

its depth so it’s not worthy getting worked up about either way, just not a positive direction imo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Brett Ritchie signed to a one year deal.

Now we have the minimum exposure list requirements met.

One year, $900k.

 

Nice.  I would've even went 2 years at $900k per.  He's the perfect 4th line RHS RW who doesn't hurt you defensively and can play an enforcer role.  You want that grit and sandpaper to just bruise the other team in a 7-game series. He's also a good 13th forward that won't hurt your cap if a kid surpasses him on the depth chart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Expected and makes them good to go for the expansion draft but I don’t like it. Not a good player and not someone worthy of a regular roster spot and at we know the coach will give him one. They can still bury him in the A so if the plan is just to use this for expansion fodder and go a different direction then I’d be happy. 
 

its depth so it’s not worthy getting worked up about either way, just not a positive direction imo. 

 

So you prefer Josh Leivo back?  A player who, if he's not scoring then he's not doing anything else for you.  Because he was finally starting to look good end of the season when the season was basically over?  The guy who lost his spot on the lines to Brett Ritchie? 

 

Ritchie doesn't score enough.  Yes.  But he excels in other departments that the team needs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...