Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Thebrewcrew

2021 Offseason Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

 

Way too much for one good year.

 

Petterson must be $9.5 x 5 then.  Which leaves the Canucks with about $2-mil for Quinn Hughes.  EDIT: they can use Ferlands LTIR so i guess that's $5.5-mil for Hughes.  Still pretty tough sell I think.

 

This also sets the price for Gaudreau too I feel.  He's going to want $9-mil+ on a 5-year.

Yup. I don't think anyone will love the bar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Late to the party this year. With losing Gio and adding all these new faces it looks to be another "rebuild" year and no playoff hopes once again.  Not sure i like the new additions i guess i will be looking at the pre season to see how well they fit in before making final critical analysis.  I guess time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Aggravator said:

Late to the party this year. With losing Gio and adding all these new faces it looks to be another "rebuild" year and no playoff hopes once again.  Not sure i like the new additions i guess i will be looking at the pre season to see how well they fit in before making final critical analysis.  I guess time will tell.

the difference is .. the pick ups this year actually have a connection to the management/Sutter as opposed to \\\\\\\\trelivings usual pick'ups of players /pieces that had no reason to come here 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have a problem with the Kaprizov deal. It was such a tricky negotiation. Everything you see on the ice, and his background, points to this guy being one of the next best offensive wingers in the game but the real catch is he's already 24. So while I get the too much for 1 good year the alternative is you try and do a 1 or a 2 year deal because 3 walks you to UFA. Risk in doing that is you've got a player who likely would get more term and $ in Russia if you really want to try and drive a hard bargain for a shorter term deal. I think this was a player who was a must sign for the Wild and i can completely see what it took that amount of $. 

 

Not sure it changes the bar much to be honest, because he is in a pretty unique category. Johnny was already probably in the 9 range before this anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't have a problem with the Kaprizov deal. It was such a tricky negotiation. Everything you see on the ice, and his background, points to this guy being one of the next best offensive wingers in the game but the real catch is he's already 24. So while I get the too much for 1 good year the alternative is you try and do a 1 or a 2 year deal because 3 walks you to UFA. Risk in doing that is you've got a player who likely would get more term and $ in Russia if you really want to try and drive a hard bargain for a shorter term deal. I think this was a player who was a must sign for the Wild and i can completely see what it took that amount of $. 

 

Not sure it changes the bar much to be honest, because he is in a pretty unique category. Johnny was already probably in the 9 range before this anyway. 

I'd agree JG's in the 9 range, and maybe wanting the full 8 years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I'd agree JG's in the 9 range, and maybe wanting the full 8 years?

 

I would say that $9m only makes sense for 5 or 6 years.  Longer term "should be closer to $8m.

At least in my books.

5 years is still in his productive years, while 8 takes him to 36/37.

In fact, you really have to compare a 5 year deal with Kaprizov's.

Are they worth the same?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'd agree JG's in the 9 range, and maybe wanting the full 8 years?

 

I'm sure Gaudraeu wants a contract that will take him to retirement. Not sure if that's 7 or 8 but I would totally understand that being his goal. I think if the Flames were going to do that term then the last few years they'd want to drop the cap in order to lower the AAV. Bonuses would come into play there too. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2021 at 6:45 PM, The_People1 said:

Sami Niku for free.  Should we be interested?

 

I'm not sure what happened to Niku.  He went from highly touted prospect to a complete nobody.  When he plays, he's so disinterested and not engaged.  Low emotion player... LHS RD.   

 

https://www.tsn.ca/winnipeg-jets-sami-niku-unconditional-waivers-buyout-1.1695879

 

Niku signs with MTL for $750k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, The_People1 said:

 

Good.  He's not a Sutter type anyways.

 

Well, we signed Poirier to a deal, who will be in the AHL next year.

There is something to be said about having a mix of players in your roster.

Can't just have big tough guys who can't skate.

I don't mind Zaddy, and Guddy is okay in some uses, but come on....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

Well, we signed Poirier to a deal, who will be in the AHL next year.

There is something to be said about having a mix of players in your roster.

Can't just have big tough guys who can't skate.

I don't mind Zaddy, and Guddy is okay in some uses, but come on....

 

For sure.  Poirier is a skilled guy.  Not big and doesn't play that hard hitting style.  Can't have all D be the big stay at home type.  It's nice to have a D who can carry the puck up ice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...