Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Sign in to follow this  
Thebrewcrew

Matthew Coronato-2021 1st round pick

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

 

Thanks!  Crazy high.   Imagine if he can carry that 1 goal per 4 shots over to the NHL.

 

I love this pick.     I'll go on record and say I am upset about not drafting Wallstedt.     But that aside, Coronato is just high octane upside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, cross16 said:

 

Pretty goal........for a guy who holds his stick the wrong way.:ph34r::lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2021 at 9:25 PM, Thebrewcrew said:

Welcome to Calgary, Matthew!

 

- For what it's worth, he expressed a desire to play in the NHL for the Calgary Flames. For those still upset about Fox. Also didn't say he was committed to spending 4 seasons at Harvard.

 

https://www.tsn.ca/bison-matthew-coronato-rams-his-way-up-nhl-draft-lists-1.1669765

 

 

 

Wow this play-by-play guy... "GrRRRRrrrrrRRRrr"

 

Generally though, I hate highlight packages like this.  It's almost completely "he shoots he scores" and every player looks good in this type of highlight package.  Hunter Shinkaruk looked like he'd be a "for sure 40-goal scorer" in the NHL in these... anyways, you can't really see how the kid can hockey when he's not scoring, which is like 99% of the minutes on the ice.

 

  • He's not big so he seems to skate smooth
  • He needs to build more leg muscles to improve explosiveness
  • A few clips showed his ability to stealth into the danger areas without the puck and then finish when he gets the pass
  • A few goals were snipes from well beyond the faceoff circles and the Flames need outside shooting threat
  • Being a RHS LW, he seems to cut through the train tracks a lot so I wonder if he'll be able to survive the hard hitting NHL
  • I've seen harder shots but maybe none as accurate
  • Doesn't show if he has grit or any level of sand paper/hitting
  • Doesn't show his passing and play making abilities.  He seems like purely a "carry the puck all the way by himself and shoot" kind of guy.  Very "Sam Bennett" for better or for worse
  • So many easy tap-in goals and so many goals scored wide open in the slot... very suspect level of competition behind his USHL leading 48-goals
  • again, can't tell his two-way game and his ability to play defense

 

All in all, this feels like not the typical Calgary Flames pick (which is a breath of fresh air).  It does feel like the team reached for a RHS and went with the best pure scorer aka highest risk highest reward.  His overall game may need years to develop (based on this limited highlight package) but if he can round out his game then he could become a 40-goal guy in the NHL.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

All in all, this feels like not the typical Calgary Flames pick (which is a breath of fresh air).  It does feel like the team reached for a RHS and went with the best pure scorer aka highest risk highest reward.  His overall game may need years to develop (based on this limited highlight package) but if he can round out his game then he could become a 40-goal guy in the NHL.

 

About time we got away from the pure passer or defensive forward type picks.  You need both of those, but we need a guy to finish.

This guy has the hands of a thicker version of Mangiapane.

IN that respect, I think we have a winner.

Develop the rest of your game at Ha-vaad, we shall see you soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

 

Wow this play-by-play guy... "GrRRRRrrrrrRRRrr"

 

Generally though, I hate highlight packages like this.  It's almost completely "he shoots he scores" and every player looks good in this type of highlight package.  Hunter Shinkaruk looked like he'd be a "for sure 40-goal scorer" in the NHL in these... anyways, you can't really see how the kid can hockey when he's not scoring, which is like 99% of the minutes on the ice.

 

  • He's not big so he seems to skate smooth
  • He needs to build more leg muscles to improve explosiveness
  • A few clips showed his ability to stealth into the danger areas without the puck and then finish when he gets the pass
  • A few goals were snipes from well beyond the faceoff circles and the Flames need outside shooting threat
  • Being a RHS LW, he seems to cut through the train tracks a lot so I wonder if he'll be able to survive the hard hitting NHL
  • I've seen harder shots but maybe none as accurate
  • Doesn't show if he has grit or any level of sand paper/hitting
  • Doesn't show his passing and play making abilities.  He seems like purely a "carry the puck all the way by himself and shoot" kind of guy.  Very "Sam Bennett" for better or for worse
  • So many easy tap-in goals and so many goals scored wide open in the slot... very suspect level of competition behind his USHL leading 48-goals
  • again, can't tell his two-way game and his ability to play defense

 

All in all, this feels like not the typical Calgary Flames pick (which is a breath of fresh air).  It does feel like the team reached for a RHS and went with the best pure scorer aka highest risk highest reward.  His overall game may need years to develop (based on this limited highlight package) but if he can round out his game then he could become a 40-goal guy in the NHL.

 

 

Agreed. Highlight videos are a big trap, you won't really get an accurate picture. 

 

Some people on YouTube will do shift by shift videos which are nice and worth a look. Still don't necessarily get to see his play away from the puck necessarily but at least you can get a wider array of skills and not just the highlights. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, The_People1 said:

 

Wow this play-by-play guy... "GrRRRRrrrrrRRRrr"

 

Generally though, I hate highlight packages like this.  It's almost completely "he shoots he scores" and every player looks good in this type of highlight package.  Hunter Shinkaruk looked like he'd be a "for sure 40-goal scorer" in the NHL in these... anyways, you can't really see how the kid can hockey when he's not scoring, which is like 99% of the minutes on the ice.

 

  • He's not big so he seems to skate smooth
  • He needs to build more leg muscles to improve explosiveness
  • A few clips showed his ability to stealth into the danger areas without the puck and then finish when he gets the pass
  • A few goals were snipes from well beyond the faceoff circles and the Flames need outside shooting threat
  • Being a RHS LW, he seems to cut through the train tracks a lot so I wonder if he'll be able to survive the hard hitting NHL
  • I've seen harder shots but maybe none as accurate
  • Doesn't show if he has grit or any level of sand paper/hitting
  • Doesn't show his passing and play making abilities.  He seems like purely a "carry the puck all the way by himself and shoot" kind of guy.  Very "Sam Bennett" for better or for worse
  • So many easy tap-in goals and so many goals scored wide open in the slot... very suspect level of competition behind his USHL leading 48-goals
  • again, can't tell his two-way game and his ability to play defense

 

All in all, this feels like not the typical Calgary Flames pick (which is a breath of fresh air).  It does feel like the team reached for a RHS and went with the best pure scorer aka highest risk highest reward.  His overall game may need years to develop (based on this limited highlight package) but if he can round out his game then he could become a 40-goal guy in the NHL.

 

 

agreed, there is definitely a reason why there's not a lot of RHS LW veteran superstars in the NHL.  Many attempt, few survive.

 

He's been on a line with multple RHS forwards.   Can he make the switch to RW?   It's worth a shot, but he really has developed some signature moves cutting across the middle.    He would likely have a longer career if he can find a way to be successful on RW though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2021 at 1:34 AM, The_People1 said:

 

Wow this play-by-play guy... "GrRRRRrrrrrRRRrr"

 

Generally though, I hate highlight packages like this.  It's almost completely "he shoots he scores" and every player looks good in this type of highlight package.  Hunter Shinkaruk looked like he'd be a "for sure 40-goal scorer" in the NHL in these... anyways, you can't really see how the kid can hockey when he's not scoring, which is like 99% of the minutes on the ice.

 

  • He's not big so he seems to skate smooth
  • He needs to build more leg muscles to improve explosiveness
  • A few clips showed his ability to stealth into the danger areas without the puck and then finish when he gets the pass
  • A few goals were snipes from well beyond the faceoff circles and the Flames need outside shooting threat
  • Being a RHS LW, he seems to cut through the train tracks a lot so I wonder if he'll be able to survive the hard hitting NHL
  • I've seen harder shots but maybe none as accurate
  • Doesn't show if he has grit or any level of sand paper/hitting
  • Doesn't show his passing and play making abilities.  He seems like purely a "carry the puck all the way by himself and shoot" kind of guy.  Very "Sam Bennett" for better or for worse
  • So many easy tap-in goals and so many goals scored wide open in the slot... very suspect level of competition behind his USHL leading 48-goals
  • again, can't tell his two-way game and his ability to play defense

 

All in all, this feels like not the typical Calgary Flames pick (which is a breath of fresh air).  It does feel like the team reached for a RHS and went with the best pure scorer aka highest risk highest reward.  His overall game may need years to develop (based on this limited highlight package) but if he can round out his game then he could become a 40-goal guy in the NHL.

 

 

I feel there is an extremely high chance that the Flames along with 12 or so other teams are going to deeply, deeply regret skipping Wallstedt in the draft.   Ok so that out of the way,

 

I like Coronato, as a stats guy I do like him.    Sorry I felt the need to reply twice, I like him so much.   So, the easy tap-ins, the potentially one-dimensional skills,  all of that......   this is where sometimes I think scouts can actually get in the way   (feel free to burn me at the stake lol).

 

McDavid doesn't always do elaborate plays to score goals.   Neither does Ovechkin, neither did most of the all-time great goalscorers.     Because they are intelligent enough to know they don't have to and there is no reason to do so.     Coronato displays NHL franchise level skills in certain areas, and those areas are important to us.

 

Period.   lol.     To me, this is what you look for, way ahead of any checklist.

 

When he's scoring two goals a game, I would say whatever he is doing in that league, he is doing right.   Will he change his game as he moves to other leagues?  Yes.  How do we know this?  He has already demonstrated adaptability, he is one a forward line with two RHS players and he has not only made it work but taken advantage of it.

 

Is there a risk that he won't fill out said checklist at the NHL level?   YES.   Let's call it 50%.      But there is a much greater risk in drafting players who fill out that checklist, but don't display any NHL franchise level skills.   A risk that they never will demonstrate said franchise level skills.   That risk level is >90%.

 

Swinging for the fences is the Right move in the NHL draft in terms of checklists.    Coronato is maybe the best goal scorer in this draft, or, in the top 3.  And I would argue this draft has more goal scorers than it gets credit for.   So you draft him and you invest in the rest filling out.    All those other "complete" players will never ever ever ever crack that top 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

 

I feel there is an extremely high chance that the Flames along with 12 or so other teams are going to deeply, deeply regret skipping Wallstedt in the draft.   Ok so that out of the way,

 

I like Coronato, as a stats guy I do like him.    Sorry I felt the need to reply twice, I like him so much.   So, the easy tap-ins, the potentially one-dimensional skills,  all of that......   this is where sometimes I think scouts can actually get in the way   (feel free to burn me at the stake lol).

 

McDavid doesn't always do elaborate plays to score goals.   Neither does Ovechkin, neither did most of the all-time great goalscorers.     Because they are intelligent enough to know they don't have to and there is no reason to do so.     Coronato displays NHL franchise level skills in certain areas, and those areas are important to us.

 

Period.   lol.     To me, this is what you look for, way ahead of any checklist.

 

When he's scoring two goals a game, I would say whatever he is doing in that league, he is doing right.   Will he change his game as he moves to other leagues?  Yes.  How do we know this?  He has already demonstrated adaptability, he is one a forward line with two RHS players and he has not only made it work but taken advantage of it.

 

Is there a risk that he won't fill out said checklist at the NHL level?   YES.   Let's call it 50%.      But there is a much greater risk in drafting players who fill out that checklist, but don't display any NHL franchise level skills.   A risk that they never will demonstrate said franchise level skills.   That risk level is >90%.

 

Swinging for the fences is the Right move in the NHL draft in terms of checklists.    Coronato is maybe the best goal scorer in this draft, or, in the top 3.  And I would argue this draft has more goal scorers than it gets credit for.   So you draft him and you invest in the rest filling out.    All those other "complete" players will never ever ever ever crack that top 3.

 

No for sure.  What I meant was, so much of the game is played away from the puck that highlight packages showing only goals means you can't see "franchise level skills" away from the puck.

 

I agree you want as much unteachable talent as possible because those can't be developed over time.  The "go to where the puck will be and not where it is right now" on both offense and defense is critical.

 

You can train muscles, endurance, conditioning, skating, and I think a lot of that relates to each other.  Stronger body means stronger shot, etc.  But between the head.  The kid either has it or he doesn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

 

No for sure.  What I meant was, so much of the game is played away from the puck that highlight packages showing only goals means you can't see "franchise level skills" away from the puck.

 

I agree you want as much unteachable talent as possible because those can't be developed over time.  The "go to where the puck will be and not where it is right now" on both offense and defense is critical.

 

You can train muscles, endurance, conditioning, skating, and I think a lot of that relates to each other.  Stronger body means stronger shot, etc.  But between the head.  The kid either has it or he doesn't.

 

very true

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2021 at 1:34 AM, The_People1 said:

 

Wow this play-by-play guy... "GrRRRRrrrrrRRRrr"

 

Generally though, I hate highlight packages like this.  It's almost completely "he shoots he scores" and every player looks good in this type of highlight package.  Hunter Shinkaruk looked like he'd be a "for sure 40-goal scorer" in the NHL in these... anyways, you can't really see how the kid can hockey when he's not scoring, which is like 99% of the minutes on the ice.

 

  • He's not big so he seems to skate smooth
  • He needs to build more leg muscles to improve explosiveness
  • A few clips showed his ability to stealth into the danger areas without the puck and then finish when he gets the pass
  • A few goals were snipes from well beyond the faceoff circles and the Flames need outside shooting threat
  • Being a RHS LW, he seems to cut through the train tracks a lot so I wonder if he'll be able to survive the hard hitting NHL
  • I've seen harder shots but maybe none as accurate
  • Doesn't show if he has grit or any level of sand paper/hitting
  • Doesn't show his passing and play making abilities.  He seems like purely a "carry the puck all the way by himself and shoot" kind of guy.  Very "Sam Bennett" for better or for worse
  • So many easy tap-in goals and so many goals scored wide open in the slot... very suspect level of competition behind his USHL leading 48-goals
  • again, can't tell his two-way game and his ability to play defense

 

All in all, this feels like not the typical Calgary Flames pick (which is a breath of fresh air).  It does feel like the team reached for a RHS and went with the best pure scorer aka highest risk highest reward.  His overall game may need years to develop (based on this limited highlight package) but if he can round out his game then he could become a 40-goal guy in the NHL.

 

 

This is an odd statement that I don't agree with at all. IMO, Coronato is exactly the type of player Treliving and the Flames target. Competitive, high character, high hockey IQ, not the greatest skater (but can work on it) and not exactly big. Same profile the Flames have been drafting mostly since Treliving got here but really heavily the last few drafts, at forward anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cross16 said:

 

This is an odd statement that I don't agree with at all. IMO, Coronato is exactly the type of player Treliving and the Flames target. Competitive, high character, high hockey IQ, not the greatest skater (but can work on it) and not exactly big. Same profile the Flames have been drafting mostly since Treliving got here but really heavily the last few drafts, at forward anyway. 

 

Yups, i'm just basing it off the "he shoots he scores" highlights.  Looked like the type of prospect who is all about offense.  Shoot first and doesn't pass.

 

Pelletier and Zary are two way guys who bring intangibles and impact the game without scoring.  It's hard to see this in the Coronato highlights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

 

Yups, i'm just basing it off the "he shoots he scores" highlights.  Looked like the type of prospect who is all about offense.  Shoot first and doesn't pass.

 

Pelletier and Zary are two way guys who bring intangibles and impact the game without scoring.  It's hard to see this in the Coronato highlights.

 

The one thing about Potato is that scouts would have been watching him play and as much as possible talking to coaches.

I could be wrong but I don't see them drafting based on TicTok or highlight packs.

With any luck, this will be a normal college season and he will play at the WJC.

Could be a big year for him.

When was the last time we had someone that could top the NCAA in goals or points.

Haha, just kidding.

Or am I?

Many top pospects will be eager to sign and forgo college.

I would be very surprised if Powers and Beniers go back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

 

Yups, i'm just basing it off the "he shoots he scores" highlights.  Looked like the type of prospect who is all about offense.  Shoot first and doesn't pass.

 

Pelletier and Zary are two way guys who bring intangibles and impact the game without scoring.  It's hard to see this in the Coronato highlights.


fair. I don’t think that is his game though. Highlights are pretty misleading. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2021 at 12:44 AM, travel_dude said:

 

The one thing about Potato is that scouts would have been watching him play and as much as possible talking to coaches.

I could be wrong but I don't see them drafting based on TicTok or highlight packs.

With any luck, this will be a normal college season and he will play at the WJC.

Could be a big year for him.

When was the last time we had someone that could top the NCAA in goals or points.

Haha, just kidding.

Or am I?

Many top pospects will be eager to sign and forgo college.

I would be very surprised if Powers and Beniers go back.

 

I dunno about points but I think he'd be a candidate for goals.   Obviously points if he stays long enough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope he leaves NCAA before his 4 yrs or we take the chance of losing to NY teams were he has been a fan for yrs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zima said:

I hope he leaves NCAA before his 4 yrs or we take the chance of losing to NY teams were he has been a fan for yrs. 

 

Give it a rest man.

Hasn't even played a single game at Harvard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

Give it a rest man.

Hasn't even played a single game at Harvard.

I get it you don't feel it is an issue good for you but I do and I feel it is a big mistake to take NCAA player and that is JMO any time a college player goes the 4 yrs we take a chance on losing him and that is a fact like it or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, zima said:

I get it you don't feel it is an issue good for you but I do and I feel it is a big mistake to take NCAA player and that is JMO any time a college player goes the 4 yrs we take a chance on losing him and that is a fact like it or not.

 

AT this point, don't you think it's a bit early to start worrying about what a player may do in 3-4 years?

Every teams drafts from the NCAA.

Name the 1st rounders that have ever decided to play 4 years to get to free agency.

 

Perhaps a lesser pick (2nd or 3rd round) could be a concern, but they almost always play 4 years because they are not good enough early.

Or maybe we should worry about Russian players drafted that never come to Canada.

 

What has Coronato said about playing in the NHL?  He wants to get there as soon as possible.

Chance at $900k+ per year sooner.

Or he stays in college and loses out on that, plus he has to wait that much longer to be a UFA.

Of all the NCAA players drafted, can you even name one that was a 1st round pick?

I know of one.  Kevin Hayes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sigh.....

 

you take the same risk with junior players. They can not sign after 2 years and go back into the draft and they too are UFA are 4 years. The only difference is they would need to get creative on where they play rather than just stay at the same institution for the 4 years but the mechanism is there for them too. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...