Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Horsman1

is this our team?????

Recommended Posts

As I count.. ,we currently have. 8 top 9 forwards.. gaudreau/monahan/lindholm/tkachuk/coleman/ mangiapane/backlund and dube... as well we have Lucic/lewis/pitlick as our bottom 3 plus reserve depending on how many spare forwards we are carrying this year. This leaves a spot for a forward or  2 or 3

 

as well , we have hanafin/tanev/anderson /zidorov as our top 4 d men and kylington/valamaki taking up  two of the bottom d spots although both shoot left so we could cartainly use a veteran r shot dman on the third pairing and split time between kylington and valamaki on the bottom pairing

..

as far as goalies. well Markstrom is far and away our number one but the battle for backup should be interesting. I think the missing link on the Gaudreau/Monahan line is.. Dustin Brown.. who we might be able to get with Kylington

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No battle for the back up.   Vlader is your man this year.

 

Mackey still to be signed and would not suprise me if they go back to Stone as the veteren dman.

 

Up front they always seem to like to sign a few from camp tryouts.  Treliving has been very quiet which probably means he is working on something!!   Still not convinced he is done tinkering going into the season. 

 

4 weeks to go and optimism is currently ruling pessimism!

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Horsman1 said:

mackey shoots left so kylington has to go then

 

 

Very few team have a mix of RHS and LHS defense that is one for one.

Many LHS have the ability to play RD.

Brodie was actually better in this spot.

W just need to have a guy that excels on RD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

 

Very few team have a mix of RHS and LHS defense that is one for one.

Many LHS have the ability to play RD.

Brodie was actually better in this spot.

W just need to have a guy that excels on RD.

brw.. brodie was part of the soft core I was glad to see leave

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

yea.. we don't have that guy  left or right handed

 

 

11 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

brw.. brodie was part of the soft core I was glad to see leave

 

 

Was Brodie the problem?  He stabilized Gio's game.

He wasn't the toughest D-man, but he was more effective that a lot on our team.

Tanev is a good replacement fo the D side of the game.

Ras and Hanifin have moments of great play on both ends.

Valimaki could be a great player.

Zadorov brings something we lacked.

 

I would like to add a D-man that adds some offense and puck moving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

Very few team have a mix of RHS and LHS defense that is one for one.

Many LHS have the ability to play RD.

Brodie was actually better in this spot.

W just need to have a guy that excels on RD.

I seem to remember Mackey playing the right side during his time up.  Small sample size but he put up some decent #s also. I'd like to see him paired with Zadorov on 3rd pair and move Val with Tanev 2nd pair. Ras and Han up top.  Trying to keep a D minded player with a offensive/puck mover type.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I seem to remember Mackey playing the right side during his time up.  Small sample size but he put up some decent #s also. I'd like to see him paired with Zadorov on 3rd pair and move Val with Tanev 2nd pair. Ras and Han up top.  Trying to keep a D minded player with a offensive/puck mover type.

 

I think there are several options.

If you go for a shutdown pair, Zaddy and Tanev.

Or a mix of vet and young players, Zaddy with Kylington/Mackey, Hani-Ras, Vali-Tanev.

Pays to have multiple looks too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There will be more additions.  A big surprise move still wouldn't shock me, but we will almost definitely see some depth additions.  

 

At forward, right now the top 13 is pretty obvious, but below that you have a few kids with 10 NHL games between them. None of them that have historically made a case for full time NHL duty.  Camp may change minds but right now I think Treliving and Sutter probably want a bit more depth.   

 

At defense the top 5 is pretty clear, with Kylington, Mackey, and Welinski in the running for spot 6 and 7 (and probably 8).   There isn't much depth in the AHL right now though, and the Flames have a SUPER young D with only two players that don't have some question marks.  It will be interesting to see if Treliving trusts the youth, but my guess is that we see at least a couple of PTOs, AHLS vets, or an outright NHL vet signing at the position.  In fact, I won't be surprised to see Treliving flip one of the young D and another asset for a proven top 4 D to help stabilize things.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am really interested is seeing what Kinvaal has to offer.  He was a really offensive player in Europe.  He had some issues in his game defensively, or so I was led to believe.  Wonder if he can transition to NHL rapidly.  He hasn't got as much experience as Kylington, but has done things we hoped Kylington would do.  He's down on the depth chart, but I do think he could be a big surprise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta admit that I am surprised we are heading into the year without a few more significant changes. I understand when Treliving says he makes deals when they are available, but I thought he would really go for it this year. Guess he figures his job is secure.

 

Btw, I just got back from doing research in Antarctica since Jan 1, 2020 and no internet. What's new? LOL

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Gotta admit that I am surprised we are heading into the year without a few more significant changes. I understand when Treliving says he makes deals when they are available, but I thought he would really go for it this year. Guess he figures his job is secure.

 

Btw, I just got back from doing research in Antarctica since Jan 1, 2020 and no internet. What's new? LOL

 

Holy smokes! It's @Cowtownguy! I was just thinking about you. You have been missed, good Sir!

Love.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

Gotta admit that I am surprised we are heading into the year without a few more significant changes. I understand when Treliving says he makes deals when they are available, but I thought he would really go for it this year. Guess he figures his job is secure.

 

Btw, I just got back from doing research in Antarctica since Jan 1, 2020 and no internet. What's new? LOL

 

Wut, there's more land beyond the Ice Wall isn't there?  I knew it!  NASA is the disinformation arm of the Reptilians confirmed!

 

Great to see you back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

 

Holy smokes! It's @Cowtownguy! I was just thinking about you. You have been missed, good Sir!

Love.

It is very nice to chat with you again! 

 

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

 

Wut, there's more land beyond the Ice Wall isn't there?  I knew it!  NASA is the disinformation arm of the Reptilians confirmed!

 

Great to see you back.

Great to see you too. Things just went ballistic at work when this thing turned south. 

 

I was really hoping that Treliving would go for broke and acquire Eichel. Games between Calgary and Edmonton would take on new meaning if we did. Having said that, these deals take time and if I were Treliving, I might also be a bit gun shy about big trades given a former Flames GM and coach is watching what I do. I wonder if this is a healthy arrangement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

It is very nice to chat with you again! 

 

Great to see you too. Things just went ballistic at work when this thing turned south. 

 

I was really hoping that Treliving would go for broke and acquire Eichel. Games between Calgary and Edmonton would take on new meaning if we did. Having said that, these deals take time and if I were Treliving, I might also be a bit gun shy about big trades given a former Flames GM and coach is watching what I do. I wonder if this is a healthy arrangement.

 

I was hoping for the same.  Now though, given we want to make the playoffs and can't afford to have Eichel missing 3 months of the season recovering from surgery, I'm not so sure anymore.

 

Depends how we come out of the gates as well.  If we struggle big time then there's a chance for big changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure where to say this but here is probably best.

I still want to see the full roster.

Gawdin and Ritchie have been adequate, but we'll be even better with Richardson and Pitlick replacing them.

It boils down to we haven't seen 50% of our offseason acquisitions.

I believe all 4 fwd acquisitions were well thought out.

I have no problem with a 4th line of Lucic-Richardson-Lewis. 3rd line of Coleman-Backlund-Pitlick.

That is NHL-quality bottom 6.

1st line looks really good, and no one is separating Dube-Mangiapane anytime soon on the 2nd. Mony just has to be a good trailer with those 2.

The D isn't as bad on the ice as it is on paper, but Z really needs to calm down and stop panicking constantly.

May need him to watch film and games from above. He needs to improve his decisions or might as well risk Kylington instead. Can't really break up HaniRas, so either Z gets corrected by Sutter or he needs a refresher course off of the ice. Gudbranson hasn't been torturous, but Z has.

Should give Vladar some starts soon.

Detroit fans have a new motto since the TBag game, "Us vs the World".

I wonder how out of hand Thursday might get. The Wings vs CBJ tonight might be worth the watch to see if the Wings maintain the hate. Blashiil said, "I guess we'll have to look after ourselves if the league won't". They could be very dangerous right now. If they beat CBJ tonight, the fans are going to be jacked. They already are after the Van game. Maybe it's good I can't cross the border.lol j/k, it's a great hockey town with great hockey fans.

My 2 fave teams, can't wait.

Anyways, this is the most complete fwd roster we've had in forever. Need AT LEAST Pitlick back. I think everyone needs to reserve judgment until we see him.

Vs Ritchie or Lewis at 3RW, he'll move the needle.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Not sure where to say this but here is probably best.

I still want to see the full roster.

Gawdin and Ritchie have been adequate, but we'll be even better with Richardson and Pitlick replacing them.

It boils down to we haven't seen 50% of our offseason acquisitions.

I believe all 4 fwd acquisitions were well thought out.

I have no problem with a 4th line of Lucic-Richardson-Lewis. 3rd line of Coleman-Backlund-Pitlick.

That is NHL-quality bottom 6.

1st line looks really good, and no one is separating Dube-Mangiapane anytime soon on the 2nd. Mony just has to be a good trailer with those 2.

The D isn't as bad on the ice as it is on paper, but Z really needs to calm down and stop panicking constantly.

May need him to watch film and games from above. He needs to improve his decisions or might as well risk Kylington instead. Can't really break up HaniRas, so either Z gets corrected by Sutter or he needs a refresher course off of the ice. Gudbranson hasn't been torturous, but Z has.

Should give Vladar some starts soon.

Detroit fans have a new motto since the TBag game, "Us vs the World".

I wonder how out of hand Thursday might get. The Wings vs CBJ tonight might be worth the watch to see if the Wings maintain the hate. Blashiil said, "I guess we'll have to look after ourselves if the league won't". They could be very dangerous right now. If they beat CBJ tonight, the fans are going to be jacked. They already are after the Van game. Maybe it's good I can't cross the border.lol j/k, it's a great hockey town with great hockey fans.

My 2 fave teams, can't wait.

Anyways, this is the most complete fwd roster we've had in forever. Need AT LEAST Pitlick back. I think everyone needs to reserve judgment until we see him.

Vs Ritchie or Lewis at 3RW, he'll move the needle.

 

 

Not sure what the story is on Richardson.

He wasn't exactly a standout in the pre-season, but could be better than Gawdin.

The problem is that Gawdin is playing with grinders and he isn't adept to that style of game.

 

I have been impressed with Mangiapane and Dube.

The top line is playing like a top line, though I still see Tkachuk with lazy swipes at the puck or player.

It would be an interesting experiment to bring Coleman up to the top 6.

 

Two possibilities:

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk

Mangiapane-Monahan-Coleman

Dube-Backlund-Pitlick

 

or

 

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Coleman

Mangiapane-Monahan-Tkachuk

Dube-Backlund-Pitlick

 

I know, you are burying Dube, but then again he could shine playing with a digger like Pitlick.

In either case, Monahan is helped by a possession beast.

Gaudreau either keeps Tkachuk or gets a greasy player that will give him space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Watching Dube and Magiapane last night I feel we should definitely keep them as a pair. 

Mangi- Backlund- Dube

 

Hmmm, I hadn't considered that.

Backlund tends to start the most of any F in the D-zone.

That might impact them negatively.

That also means that we are using Pitlick in the top 6, which is not what he is meant for.

When we get Eichel, all bets are off.

 

On a side note, EDM is terminating the contract of Kiril Maximov.

I like the name.

He's been good playing in Russian league, just not a great start to NA pro hockey.

6'3" RHS RW.

Could fit in well in Stockton.

Might feel comfortable there.

Was going to be assigned to ECHL.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Watching Dube and Magiapane last night I feel we should definitely keep them as a pair. 

Mangi- Backlund- Dube

 

Agreed.  Monahan drags that line down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

 

Agreed.  Monahan drags that line down.

I don't really see the point in pulling the scapegoat card this early or at all, but I know its Monahan and now that we got rid of our oldest worn out toy he is 2nd on the list now for toys we need to take to the trash.  If Monahan was deadweight the other two don't get 5 or more shots, that line had more than enough chances to be the difference in the game, they didn't convert but not Monahan's fault that it didn't happen.  I find fans funny, It's a game that if it was reversed we'd say we only won because of Markstrom but lose like it and the last thing we want to do is credit the other goalie, its the same with all sports I guess its never the other teams pitcher its strictly your teams hitters, never the other teams QB always your teams defense.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I don't really see the point in pulling the scapegoat card this early or at all, but I know its Monahan and now that we got rid of our oldest worn out toy he is 2nd on the list now for toys we need to take to the trash.  If Monahan was deadweight the other two don't get 5 or more shots, that line had more than enough chances to be the difference in the game, they didn't convert but not Monahan's fault that it didn't happen.  I find fans funny, It's a game that if it was reversed we'd say we only won because of Markstrom but lose like it and the last thing we want to do is credit the other goalie, its the same with all sports I guess its never the other teams pitcher its strictly your teams hitters, never the other teams QB always your teams defense.

 

Monahan is what he is at this point and I actually thought that line did a good job of compensating for that. We know he is not fleet of foot so protect that by having 2 faster and quick transition players with him and let him be F3. I thought that line did a good job of getting puck in behind the d and then Monahan was doing a really nice job higher up in the zone and keeping the puck in and allowing Mang/Dube to create. I thought that line has been one of their better ones through 2 games and I think it's the best example of complimentary skill sets. 

 

Obviously you want more for his $ but this is the reality of the situation IMO so better make the most of it. I think that line does. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...