The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Horsman1

is this our team?????

As I count.. ,we currently have. 8 top 9 forwards.. gaudreau/monahan/lindholm/tkachuk/coleman/ mangiapane/backlund and dube... as well we have Lucic/lewis/pitlick as our bottom 3 plus reserve depending on how many spare forwards we are carrying this year. This leaves a spot for a forward or  2 or 3

as well , we have hanafin/tanev/anderson /zidorov as our top 4 d men and kylington/valamaki taking up  two of the bottom d spots although both shoot left so we could cartainly use a veteran r shot dman on the third pairing and split time between kylington and valamaki on the bottom pairing

as far as goalies. well Markstrom is far and away our number one but the battle for backup should be interesting. I think the missing link on the Gaudreau/Monahan line is.. Dustin Brown.. who we might be able to get with Kylington

No battle for the back up.   Vlader is your man this year.

Mackey still to be signed and would not suprise me if they go back to Stone as the veteren dman.

Up front they always seem to like to sign a few from camp tryouts.  Treliving has been very quiet which probably means he is working on something!!   Still not convinced he is done tinkering going into the season. 

4 weeks to go and optimism is currently ruling pessimism!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Horsman1 said:

mackey shoots left so kylington has to go then

Very few team have a mix of RHS and LHS defense that is one for one.

Many LHS have the ability to play RD.

Brodie was actually better in this spot.

W just need to have a guy that excels on RD.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

brw.. brodie was part of the soft core I was glad to see leave

15 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

yea.. we don't have that guy  left or right handed

11 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

brw.. brodie was part of the soft core I was glad to see leave

Was Brodie the problem?  He stabilized Gio's game.

He wasn't the toughest D-man, but he was more effective that a lot on our team.

Tanev is a good replacement fo the D side of the game.

Ras and Hanifin have moments of great play on both ends.

Valimaki could be a great player.

Zadorov brings something we lacked.

I would like to add a D-man that adds some offense and puck moving.

8 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I seem to remember Mackey playing the right side during his time up.  Small sample size but he put up some decent #s also. I'd like to see him paired with Zadorov on 3rd pair and move Val with Tanev 2nd pair. Ras and Han up top.  Trying to keep a D minded player with a offensive/puck mover type.

59 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I seem to remember Mackey playing the right side during his time up.  Small sample size but he put up some decent #s also. I'd like to see him paired with Zadorov on 3rd pair and move Val with Tanev 2nd pair. Ras and Han up top.  Trying to keep a D minded player with a offensive/puck mover type.

I think there are several options.

If you go for a shutdown pair, Zaddy and Tanev.

Or a mix of vet and young players, Zaddy with Kylington/Mackey, Hani-Ras, Vali-Tanev.

Pays to have multiple looks too.

There will be more additions.  A big surprise move still wouldn't shock me, but we will almost definitely see some depth additions.  

At forward, right now the top 13 is pretty obvious, but below that you have a few kids with 10 NHL games between them. None of them that have historically made a case for full time NHL duty.  Camp may change minds but right now I think Treliving and Sutter probably want a bit more depth.   

At defense the top 5 is pretty clear, with Kylington, Mackey, and Welinski in the running for spot 6 and 7 (and probably 8).   There isn't much depth in the AHL right now though, and the Flames have a SUPER young D with only two players that don't have some question marks.  It will be interesting to see if Treliving trusts the youth, but my guess is that we see at least a couple of PTOs, AHLS vets, or an outright NHL vet signing at the position.  In fact, I won't be surprised to see Treliving flip one of the young D and another asset for a proven top 4 D to help stabilize things.  

I am really interested is seeing what Kinvaal has to offer.  He was a really offensive player in Europe.  He had some issues in his game defensively, or so I was led to believe.  Wonder if he can transition to NHL rapidly.  He hasn't got as much experience as Kylington, but has done things we hoped Kylington would do.  He's down on the depth chart, but I do think he could be a big surprise. 

Gotta admit that I am surprised we are heading into the year without a few more significant changes. I understand when Treliving says he makes deals when they are available, but I thought he would really go for it this year. Guess he figures his job is secure.

Btw, I just got back from doing research in Antarctica since Jan 1, 2020 and no internet. What's new? LOL

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Gotta admit that I am surprised we are heading into the year without a few more significant changes. I understand when Treliving says he makes deals when they are available, but I thought he would really go for it this year. Guess he figures his job is secure.

Btw, I just got back from doing research in Antarctica since Jan 1, 2020 and no internet. What's new? LOL

Holy smokes! It's @Cowtownguy! I was just thinking about you. You have been missed, good Sir!

Love.

6 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

Wut, there's more land beyond the Ice Wall isn't there?  I knew it!  NASA is the disinformation arm of the Reptilians confirmed!

Great to see you back.

16 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

Holy smokes! It's @Cowtownguy! I was just thinking about you. You have been missed, good Sir!

Love.

It is very nice to chat with you again! 

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Wut, there's more land beyond the Ice Wall isn't there?  I knew it!  NASA is the disinformation arm of the Reptilians confirmed!

Great to see you back.

Great to see you too. Things just went ballistic at work when this thing turned south. 

I was really hoping that Treliving would go for broke and acquire Eichel. Games between Calgary and Edmonton would take on new meaning if we did. Having said that, these deals take time and if I were Treliving, I might also be a bit gun shy about big trades given a former Flames GM and coach is watching what I do. I wonder if this is a healthy arrangement.

10 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

It is very nice to chat with you again! 

Great to see you too. Things just went ballistic at work when this thing turned south. 

I was really hoping that Treliving would go for broke and acquire Eichel. Games between Calgary and Edmonton would take on new meaning if we did. Having said that, these deals take time and if I were Treliving, I might also be a bit gun shy about big trades given a former Flames GM and coach is watching what I do. I wonder if this is a healthy arrangement.

I was hoping for the same.  Now though, given we want to make the playoffs and can't afford to have Eichel missing 3 months of the season recovering from surgery, I'm not so sure anymore.

Depends how we come out of the gates as well.  If we struggle big time then there's a chance for big changes.