The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Confirmed: QC Flames moving

Well, IF it happens, at least it'll be closer.

Abbotsford Flames does sound better than Quad City Flames. I still prefer Omaha (Ak-sar-ben) Knights but oh well.

There is going to be some confused hockey fans in Abbottsford. Obviously they have to cheer for their local team, but that would mean cheering for Flames prospects.

ewwwww

Neat!

It'll make it a lot easier for me to catch a baby-Flames game that way, with the amount of time I spend out there. :D

As long as the organization is the better for it... go for it.

There is going to be some confused hockey fans in Abbottsford. Obviously they have to cheer for their local team, but that would mean cheering for Flames prospects.

ewwwww

haha. interesting point.

Not suprised. They've struggled in QC. Most of it being that, quite frankly, they are a boring team. McGill is a defensive oriented coach so they dont' play exciting hockey. Combine that with losing and your not likely to snag in a small american market.

Abbottsford should be a solid choice. They should be able to draw well given the mainland and passion for hockey. Be nice if they were somewhere in Alberta though.

haha. interesting point.

Not suprised. They've struggled in QC. Most of it being that, quite frankly, they are a boring team. McGill is a defensive oriented coach so they dont' play exciting hockey. Combine that with losing and your not likely to snag in a small american market.

Abbottsford should be a solid choice. They should be able to draw well given the mainland and passion for hockey. Be nice if they were somewhere in Alberta though.

I don't any reason why they wouldn't thrive there. It's far enough away from Vancouver that it wouldn't take away from Giants crowds. The only ones that may be affected are the Chilliwack Bruins, but I think the Fraser Valley is big enough for the both of 'em.

Someone on another forum suggested this for the logo:

flames.jpg

It would work I think! :lol:

I don't know if a Flames team in Abbotsford would draw very well. With Vancouver about 1.5 hours away and a couple of WHL and other minor league teams close bye, a lot of hockey fans will take their money elsewhere instead of watching the Flames ahl team.

It would sort of be like having the canucks minor league team in Red Deer. :lol:

living in Vancouver, definetley a solid move. Abbotsford has great hockey fans and the guys in vancouver will love to watch the AHL. Problem is these are future flames prospects so not sure whether to cheer or boo haha

I don't know what to think of this.

Abbotsford is a better hockey market that will generate more gate revenue but travel costs might make up for the difference. Flying from Abbotsford to Syracuse is more expensive than flying from Quad City. Also, what if the Calgary Flames run into an injury problem on an East coast road trip and need to call up players from the farm for a game the next day? Not only do you have to fly a player across a continent, that player might arrive groggy and lacking rest.

Quad City is in a good location. It's central.

So I know it's in Illinois, but what exactly are the 4 cities in Quad City? I have always woundered that...

Moline-East Moline, Rock Island, Davenport, Bettendorf. A couple of them are over in Iowa, the Davenport and Betttendorf. The other 2 are on the IL side.

In the front page of the newspaper this morning Calgary says they are commited here to the QC and will be staying. They also mentioned how they like it and want it to work here. I hope that is true.

http://qconline.com/archives/qco/display.php?id=417631''>http://qconline.com/archives/qco/display.php?id=417631' target="_blank">http://qconline.com/archives/qco/display.php?id=417631[/post]

I don't know what to think of this.

Abbotsford is a better hockey market that will generate more gate revenue but travel costs might make up for the difference. Flying from Abbotsford to Syracuse is more expensive than flying from Quad City. Also, what if the Calgary Flames run into an injury problem on an East coast road trip and need to call up players from the farm for a game the next day? Not only do you have to fly a player across a continent, that player might arrive groggy and lacking rest.

Quad City is in a good location. It's central.

I was thinking about this too. However one thing I did note is you play 42 games in your own building, plus an additional 6 in western Canada, so already over half your games would be so close to your affiliate. Combine that with 8 games in the LA/nevada region, and there would be a big percentage of games in their own time zone. More than they are right now.

But travel cost from Abbotsford to everyone else in the AHL would be a huge hinderence.

There was also an article in the Herald today where Ken King said they have not agreed on anything. It looks like the story originated simply because Abbotsford contacted the Flames as they did other AHL teams. Now King also never hinted of moving from Omaha and they did anyone so it will be an interesting one to track.

Moline-East Moline, Rock Island, Davenport, Bettendorf. A couple of them are over in Iowa, the Davenport and Betttendorf. The other 2 are on the IL side.

In the front page of the newspaper this morning Calgary says they are commited here to the QC and will be staying. They also mentioned how they like it and want it to work here. I hope that is true.

http://qconline.com/archives/qco/display.php?id=417631''>http://qconline.com/archives/qco/display.php?id=417631' target="_blank">http://qconline.com/archives/qco/display.php?id=417631[/post]

Ken King was on the Fan960 on Friday and was saying that they were working with the people in QC to resolve some "issues", including something to do with the facilities there. Sounds like they got everything worked out.

I still prefer Omaha (Ak-sar-ben) Knights but oh well.

AGREED! 100%

Damn. It would have been cool to see another higher level hockey team in BC. Oh well. Here's hoping the AHL comes out west sometime soon.

If the baby Flames did move here, I would be the first in line for seasons tickets. As it is I only live 25 minutes from the new Sportsplex, and driving to VAN for games is a hassle. If they are truly committed to QC for a while, that would be great, however, the sooner the AHL (Flames farm) can come here the better. It seems there is no satisfing BC's hockey appetite.

There is some very exciting history about the quad cities when they were the mallards and winning they used to pack this place of upwards to close to 10,000 people. They were the hottest ticket in uhl hockey even having a fantastic bus following to travel with them. People here like good sound physical and aggresive hockey. If the flames can come through with a team like that not only can they create a fan base of flames fans here. These guys would love the crazy and wild atmosphere you would bring in. So these players should play like there is a packed house and win you might be surprised with the outcome.

That is exactly what they said before they pulled the team out of Omaha.

Someone on another forum suggested this for the logo:

flames.jpg

It would work I think! :lol:

I don't know if a Flames team in Abbotsford would draw very well. With Vancouver about 1.5 hours away and a couple of WHL and other minor league teams close bye, a lot of hockey fans will take their money elsewhere instead of watching the Flames ahl team.

It would sort of be like having the canucks minor league team in Red Deer. :lol:

That looks like the old Atlanta Flames logo. BTW, the Atlanta Flames farm team was the Omaha Knights.

Looks like they might be moving to Abbotsford.

I saw Darryl Sutter in Abbotsford today, and he was meeting with at least one of the local businessmen in the Abbotsford area that are trying to get the QC Flames here.

I'm pretty sure the team would survive here. We do have a pretty decent hockey market, and the new arena makes it even better.

Herald, Feb. 12

Abbotsford News, Feb. 12

You may have seen the Herald one if you live in Calgary, but the other is from the local paper. Looks like there are still talks going on. Both Ken King and Darryl Sutter have visited.

The new arena will hold 7500 seats, which is less than the 9435 in QC, but more than the 3000 average attendance in QC. There will be quite the rivalry, especially with the Nucks so close. It's also a good chance for the locals to see the Nucks farm twice a year.

I'm getting excited!