The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Confirmed: QC Flames moving

I did read an article that said they would find a unique name for the team. The new owner has said he had no interest in making the locals into Flames fans (but if it happens, I'm all for it), and I'm not sure if there will also be unique colours. Although using the old Atlanta Flames logo was a nice retro thought. Any ideas for a new name?

I was reading the herald, and it sounded like the Abbottsford group wanted the AHL team to have almost no resembelance to the NHL team. Color Schemes woudl be different, name woudl be different etc. They want to, and for good reason i'm sure as well, be related to the Flames but not exactly represent them.

I'm sure the whole concept would be different. I dont' think they would use the old Alberta Flames logo either. I think its going to be seperate all together.

Its tough with Abootsfford, but IMO I would really try and encororate something about the city or area concet. Abbotssford hosts a world class air show, so something jet or Air Force related would probably go over well. Abottsford Air Force sounds pretty dumb though, so they would need to get more creative.

I find that really hard to beleive. When the Moose were in town I would not be suprised at all to see the Moose get cheered more than the Flames, but at the same time who is actually going to pay money just to go and boo players that don't even play for the Flames for the most part?

I'll be absottsford team and they'll more than likely adopt them as their team. This is Canada after all. People will just be happy to see hockey.

The Flames need to put their affiliate in a city that is established with hockey, not an experiement like QC and Omaha were. The Flames have the belief that their AHL is going to be strictly a development team and are less worried about their results. That doens't sell very well in certain cities. They need an environment were hockey will be supported regardless of wether the team is good or not and I think Abootsford would do very well.

Well would Flames Fans cheer the Lethbridge Canucks if they existed? Thats pretty much the equivlent to whats happening in Greater Vancouver (Abbotsford).

Well would Flames Fans cheer the Lethbridge Canucks if they existed? Thats pretty much the equivlent to whats happening in Greater Vancouver (Abbotsford).

1. like i mentioned the team is likely not going to be called the Flames.

2. Yes I beleive they would. YOu forget this is Canada. Abbotsford is getting a calibre of hockey they've never had and getting a high calibre of hockey where they didn't before unless they are willing to make the trip to Van. It would be different if your trying to put the team IN Vancouver, but your not.

I have no doubt that if the Canucks moved their farm team to Lethbridge they'd do very well because that is Canada.

You may not cheer them, and thats fine. But assuming that all 7000 that go to their games are going to hate them, and the town wont embrace them, is taking a HUGE reach.

1. like i mentioned the team is likely not going to be called the Flames.

2. Yes I beleive they would. YOu forget this is Canada. Abbotsford is getting a calibre of hockey they've never had and getting a high calibre of hockey where they didn't before unless they are willing to make the trip to Van. It would be different if your trying to put the team IN Vancouver, but your not.

I have no doubt that if the Canucks moved their farm team to Lethbridge they'd do very well because that is Canada.

You may not cheer them, and thats fine. But assuming that all 7000 that go to their games are going to hate them, and the town wont embrace them, is taking a HUGE reach.

When the Moose are in town at least that many people would cheer them.If they are not called the Flames,than ya they have a chance. How well did the Toronto Road Runners do when they were an Oilers affiliate. You really under estimate how much we hate the Flames out here.Not to mention there is a WHL team in Chilliwack which is less than a 20 minute drive away. You would get the loyal season ticket holders,but when the Moose are in town,the majority would be cheering for Manitoba.

Its tough with Abootsfford, but IMO I would really try and encororate something about the city or area concet. Abbotssford hosts a world class air show, so something jet or Air Force related would probably go over well. Abottsford Air Force sounds pretty dumb though, so they would need to get more creative.

There is a local football team at the (I think) high school level called the Air Force, actually Sandro D'Angelis used to play for them.

When the Moose are in town at least that many people would cheer them.If they are not called the Flames,than ya they have a chance. How well did the Toronto Road Runners do when they were an Oilers affiliate. You really under estimate how much we hate the Flames out here.Not to mention there is a WHL team in Chilliwack which is less than a 20 minute drive away. You would get the loyal season ticket holders,but when the Moose are in town,the majority would be cheering for Manitoba.

I really don't like the word "hate", it brings to mind all sorts of unmentionable evils. I agree though that Nucks fans "don't like" or "razz" or "like to bug the heck out of" Flames fans, and for good reason. But there's another topic in here that discusses this. I don't mind the Moose fans coming out, but the Flames and Moose only met in QC twice last year, the other 34 home games I would hope that there would be a loyal following, and not just season ticket holders.

btw, the WHL, while exciting, is a totally different league than the AHL. There is no comparison.

There is a local football team at the (I think) high school level called the Air Force, actually Sandro D'Angelis used to play for them.

I really don't like the word "hate", it brings to mind all sorts of unmentionable evils. I agree though that Nucks fans "don't like" or "razz" or "like to bug the heck out of" Flames fans, and for good reason. But there's another topic in here that discusses this. I don't mind the Moose fans coming out, but the Flames and Moose only met in QC twice last year, the other 34 home games I would hope that there would be a loyal following, and not just season ticket holders.

btw, the WHL, while exciting, is a totally different league than the AHL. There is no comparison.

My point is there will be a good number of people will have a hard time to get over the point,that they are affiliated with the Flames.

Abbotsford is an hour outside of Vancouver,this team will get booed to shreds every night,especially when the Moose are in town. This is a terrible move for the Flames,and I say this as a Canucks fan who will be booing them every night.

My point is there will be a good number of people will have a hard time to get over the point,that they are affiliated with the Flames.

To that good number of people: please don't boo this team every night, even though they are the "hated" enemy. It looks bad on you.

I find that really hard to beleive. When the Moose were in town I would not be suprised at all to see the Moose get cheered more than the Flames, but at the same time who is actually going to pay money just to go and boo players that don't even play for the Flames for the most part?

I'll be absottsford team and they'll more than likely adopt them as their team. This is Canada after all. People will just be happy to see hockey.

The Flames need to put their affiliate in a city that is established with hockey, not an experiement like QC and Omaha were. The Flames have the belief that their AHL is going to be strictly a development team and are less worried about their results. That doens't sell very well in certain cities. They need an environment were hockey will be supported regardless of wether the team is good or not and I think Abootsford would do very well.

This year a lot of the AHL players have seen time in Calgary due to injuries and what not. I understand your point about it being Canada and everyone supports hockey but there is a WHL team 20 minutes from Abbotsford. As far as saying that the WHL team will survive due to ticket prices being lower, those are set by the team but here in the QC you could sit on the glass for less than $20 (American). And when Manitoba is in town, I feel like this team will be lost ... and they will probably play Manitoba more than 2 times a season because I can't imagine them being in the same division as they are in now (Milwaukee, Chicago, Rockford, Peoria, Iowa, Houston, and San Antonio). I believe that Calgary should have been more committed to seeing this team prosper. You can't use your number 1 minor league team as purely developmental and not care about the on-ice result. How does that develop your players for the NHL? Also, for whatever reason, QC has been a streaky team much of the season. They are still just a few points out of the last playoff spot. This is a money thing. Money is being lost here in the QC and people want out. Why is the money being lost? Because Calgary is not committed to this team and they never were. They should have made it their priority to get this team to the playoffs this year but they didn't. They are always struggling to get up there. People would want to watch this team if they were winning more consistently. The team has a lot of talent but it's just not being utilized well. What should have happened in December is that Ryan McGill should have been moved (probably let go). Instead in December they decided to start shopping around for new cities. What happens when the people of Abbotsford want to see competitive hockey? They will travel the 20 MINUTES to Chilliwack. This team is destined to fail. From the location being so close to Vancouver and Chilliwack, travel (both for them and for opponents), and especially from the NHL affiliate who doesn't give a damn about the AHL squad and never has. Beware Abbotsford!

Another thing I would like to say in response to you Cross16 is that the Quad Cities were not an "experiment". We had a solid hockey franchise long before the Flames ever came calling. The ONLY professional hockey team to ever win 50 games in 6 straight seasons was the Quad City Mallards. They are 3 time champions between the Colonial Hockey League and the United Hockey League (same league, different name ... the league is now known as the International Hockey League). People wanted to see that team! They loved that team! Why? Because they were good! Because it was fun! I still supported the Flames when they weren't so good and when we suffered through loss after loss, but not everyone is going to do that, and why should they? Why pay money to watch your team lose all the time? To sit in 7th place most of the season? To fall to last place several times a year? What it all comes down to is the fact that Calgary never tried to make this team successful, not that we were an experiment!

Here is an interesting thought...will it hurt the WHL to bring in the AHL?

http://www.vancouversun.com/Sports/Abbotsford+team+from+sure+thing/1384572/story.html' target="_blank">http://www.vancouversun.com/Sports/Abbotsf...4572/story.html[/post]

We can always dream here in the QC that it will fail and the team will be forced to stay here. HAHA!

This is a good story. Even these NHL owners don't think this will pass. It's just too far. And how is the Abbotsford team going to be able to afford to subsidize travel for their opponents? The only way this would make sense is if you had several teams out there or you at least had a team or two west of Winnipeg. You don't have that so how can you just make the leap to go that far west with nothing else even remotely close? I guess the players would get more the feeling of the NHL by being on a plane every week but whatever.

I'm not saying they are going to stay in QC either though. If they did, I'd be happy but I'd like to see some effort put forth into making the team A LOT more competitive.

This year a lot of the AHL players have seen time in Calgary due to injuries and what not. I understand your point about it being Canada and everyone supports hockey but there is a WHL team 20 minutes from Abbotsford. As far as saying that the WHL team will survive due to ticket prices being lower, those are set by the team but here in the QC you could sit on the glass for less than $20 (American). And when Manitoba is in town, I feel like this team will be lost ... and they will probably play Manitoba more than 2 times a season because I can't imagine them being in the same division. I believe that Calgary should have been more committed to seeing this team prosper. You can't use your number 1 minor league team as purely developmental and not care about the on-ice result. How does that develop your players for the NHL? Also, for whatever reason, QC has been a streaky team much of the season. They are still just a few points out of the last playoff spot. This is a money thing. Money is being lost here in the QC and people want out. Why is the money being lost? Because Calgary is not committed to this team and they never were. They should have made it their priority to get this team to the playoffs this year but they didn't. They are always struggling to get up there. People would want to watch this team if they were winning more consistently. The team has a lot of talent but it's just not being utilized well. What should have happened in December is that Ryan McGill should have been moved (probably let go). Instead in December they decided to start shopping around for new cities. What happens when the people of Abbotsford want to see competitive hockey? They will travel the 20 MINUTES to Chilliwack. This team is destined to fail. From the location being so close to Vancouver and Chilliwack, travel (both for them and for opponents), and especially from the NHL affiliate who doesn't give a damn about the AHL squad and never has. Beware Abbotsford!

Another thing I would like to say in response to you Cross16 is that the Quad Cities were not an "experiment". We had a solid hockey franchise long before the Flames ever came calling. The ONLY professional hockey team to ever win 50 games in 6 straight seasons was the Quad City Mallards. They are 3 time champions between the Colonial Hockey League and the United Hockey League (same league, different name ... the league is now known as the International Hockey League). People wanted to see that team! They loved that team! Why? Because they were good! Because it was fun! I still supported the Flames when they weren't so good and when we suffered through loss after loss, but not everyone is going to do that, and why should they? Why pay money to watch your team lose all the time? To sit in 7th place most of the season? To fall to last place several times a year? What it all comes down to is the fact that Calgary never tried to make this team successful, not that we were an experiment!

I respect your post, but I have to say that this is wrong. I think you have to look at how well prospects have been develoing in the Flames farm system. Nystrom, Lundmark, Peters, Van Der Guilk, Chucko, Pardy, Boyd, Moss, have all been able to make a very seemless transition to the NHL. In the cases or Pardy, Peters, and Van Der Guilk, these are players that were late round picks and would have been lucky to make the NHL, yet all 3 have seemelss steped in and played. The Flames plan, has been working wonders on their farm system.

However, i respect your opinion as well. I totaly agree with what your saying. I woudn't expect many people to support a team that is inconsistant and not winning. Thats what I meant by an experiment. It was an experiment to put a strictly developmental team, which you have to know is going to struggle, into a US city that while support is there, tends to only be there when a team is winning. I totally see your point that Calgary never tried to make the team successfull, but however that's becuase they choose to make it development. So yeah, i do characterize it as an experiment. I didn't mean to suggest that the whole move to QC was an experiment, just that putting a strictkly developmental team into a market like that was an experiment and it didn't work for either party. Not just for the Flames.

I respect your post, but I have to say that this is wrong. I think you have to look at how well prospects have been develoing in the Flames farm system. Nystrom, Lundmark, Peters, Van Der Guilk, Chucko, Pardy, Boyd, Moss, have all been able to make a very seemless transition to the NHL. In the cases or Pardy, Peters, and Van Der Guilk, these are players that were late round picks and would have been lucky to make the NHL, yet all 3 have seemelss steped in and played. The Flames plan, has been working wonders on their farm system.

However, i respect your opinion as well. I totaly agree with what your saying. I woudn't expect many people to support a team that is inconsistant and not winning. Thats what I meant by an experiment. It was an experiment to put a strictly developmental team, which you have to know is going to struggle, into a US city that while support is there, tends to only be there when a team is winning. I totally see your point that Calgary never tried to make the team successfull, but however that's becuase they choose to make it development. So yeah, i do characterize it as an experiment. I didn't mean to suggest that the whole move to QC was an experiment, just that putting a strictkly developmental team into a market like that was an experiment and it didn't work for either party. Not just for the Flames.

I understand and it's good to see those guys do well after playing here. It just really stings to think that if they had made an effort, this may have never happened. It doesn't look like they made the effort in Omaha and now here in QC. You'd think they might have learned the lesson after Omaha? Apparently not. And while I get that they are developing players for the NHL, do you notice any trends in what they are developing? With the exception of Pardy, you didn't name any defensemen. Wouldn't this be something that they may want to develop as well? Wouldn't both the AHL squad and the NHL squad be served by developing a few more defensemen? I don't know, just a thought.

I apologize if I sound bitter or whatever. It's just not real easy for me to take that my city will most likely be losing hockey within a few short weeks. This has been a hockey town for many years. It had dwindled in the past several due to teams that didn't perform as well but the Flames were supposed to change that. Omaha had an all right team it's last year but ever since moving here they have not looked like it. That final Omaha team had almost 50 wins. Last year's Quad City team scraped out 38 and this year's team has 27 wins with 14 to play. Doesn't seem like the same team. You might think the coach had changed. It hasn't. Ryan McGill has been the coach since the inaugural season in Omaha. This is the man that should have been shown the door back in December, not the city. I don't mean to say that it's all Calgary's fault. I think it's mostly their fault for not providing the local ownership with a quality product. Maybe they should have investigated the organization a little better before jumping into bed with them so quickly. Maybe they would have seen the way that Calgary uses it's AHL squad. I don't know. But everyone is to blame for what has happened. Calgary mainly I think, but the local owners and the fans have to see that their actions led us down this road. For now I will cheer on the QC Flames (and those that have gone on to the NHL) for the remainder of the season (and hopefully playoffs) and we will see how things turn out.

I think you are making too many assumptions, and I don't think it's true that Calgary intended to have a team that was "strictly developmental" and not competitive. The best way to develop players is to have them on a competitive team. Players struggle to make the transition to the NHL when they can't win games in the AHL to begin with. Calgary would have been absolutely foolish to put a team together that was destined to lose from the get go. And they made strides this year by picking up Greentree, adding a power forward to the ranks that can put up the numbers. Had it not been for the injuries, Pardy and Lundmark would have been playing down in the A all season long. The team would have been even more competitive in that case. It's too bad they couldn't stay put and build the fan-base, and I'm not sure that Abbotsford is the place for them, but one thing is for sure, where ever the baby flames go, they are always trying to compete and win. They just won't do it at the expense of their big league team.

I understand and it's good to see those guys do well after playing here. It just really stings to think that if they had made an effort, this may have never happened. It doesn't look like they made the effort in Omaha and now here in QC. You'd think they might have learned the lesson after Omaha? Apparently not. And while I get that they are developing players for the NHL, do you notice any trends in what they are developing? With the exception of Pardy, you didn't name any defensemen. Wouldn't this be something that they may want to develop as well? Wouldn't both the AHL squad and the NHL squad be served by developing a few more defensemen? I don't know, just a thought.

I apologize if I sound bitter or whatever. It's just not real easy for me to take that my city will most likely be losing hockey within a few short weeks. This has been a hockey town for many years. It had dwindled in the past several due to teams that didn't perform as well but the Flames were supposed to change that. Omaha had an all right team it's last year but ever since moving here they have not looked like it. That final Omaha team had almost 50 wins. Last year's Quad City team scraped out 38 and this year's team has 27 wins with 14 to play. Doesn't seem like the same team. You might think the coach had changed. It hasn't. Ryan McGill has been the coach since the inaugural season in Omaha. This is the man that should have been shown the door back in December, not the city. I don't mean to say that it's all Calgary's fault. I think it's mostly their fault for not providing the local ownership with a quality product. Maybe they should have investigated the organization a little better before jumping into bed with them so quickly. Maybe they would have seen the way that Calgary uses it's AHL squad. I don't know. But everyone is to blame for what has happened. Calgary mainly I think, but the local owners and the fans have to see that their actions led us down this road. For now I will cheer on the QC Flames (and those that have gone on to the NHL) for the remainder of the season (and hopefully playoffs) and we will see how things turn out.

don't get me wrong, I understand the frustration. I totally understand that and think you have every right to be frusturated. It does appear that they don't care. However, its just that they do care but they just care about development more than they care about how successful it is. However, sutter has said more than a few times that he would like to see better results, but at the same time he doens't panic becuase he know how well so many of the player have developed.

That year in Omaha was due to a couple of factors, namely Andrei Taratukhin and Dustin Boyd. The big problem with QC is that they don't have enough scoring. That Omaha team had Boyd and Taratukin both at a PPG clip, but they were at the PPG clip on different lines so the scoring was balanced. Not so much with the QC Flames. They lost them both, and then all of a suddenn the Flames AHL depth went from pretty good, to pretty average. Unfortuantely, due to the nature of the Flames drafting they havn't been able to fill those spots with offensive. However, the timing does suck. In the next few years you would have got to see names like Backlund, Wahl, Negrin, Nemisz who are considered the Flames top prospects, and I truly believe that the QC Flames would ahve become a much better team with even one of these guys.

Giordano is a bio product of the Flames system as he did spend time in the AHL. But the reason dmen have been slow to develop is two fold. 1 - Forwards develop faster. 2 - Sutter had more of a forward focus when he started drafting for the Flames. By all accounts, Pelech is not far from the NHL, and Mcgill has turned Palin into a average WHL player into an AHL all star.

Like I said though, I think you have every right to be frusturated. Quite frankily, I'm not thrilled about the Flames either becuase I don't like seeing their farm team move every couple of seasons. I'm just not suprised given how they run their farm team. They need it in a market that has a bigger passion for the game becuase they will continue to use it primarily as a developmental team.

Thank you Cross for your understanding. It's not that I hate Calgary. I actually have a rooting interest in the team now. Personally, on the NHL level I'm more a Ducks fan. That's based mainly on the fact that I wasn't raised a hockey fan and when I was growing up and got interested in the sport is when the movie came out. Now I live for hockey. I like most other sports too but hockey is right up there with baseball for me and I was raised around minor league baseball. I grew up at our local diamond and did everything from batboy, mascot, all the way to official scorer (when I was 16!). I say all that basically to show you how much I love the game of baseball and for me to love, breathe, and die something just as much is a big step. But I do. I've loved hockey for many years. I hate that I can't see as much NHL on TV anymore. I live with my in-laws and they don't subscribe to VS. or even Comcast sports so I don't even see Blackhawks games. The place for me to see it is at the arena. If I'm not there I listen on the radio or the internet. It's just like something is being ripped away from me. A part of me will be leaving along with hockey here. I hope that something comes along soon but for now it hurts. I can only imagine what diehard fans of NHL teams that have moved on feel. I don't know how they could have done things better or different here in the QC. You know a lot more than me about the system and who is up and coming. What do you think? What if they had scraped some money together and held on another year? And I understand you not liking to see the team moving around every couple years either. It reflects poorly on the organization, doesn't it? What if Abbotsford doesn't work out and they want to move again in 2011-12? Will there be cities and owners jumping at the chance to get the Flames AHL squad?

Just another quick question. If the Abbotsford thing were to be denied by the AHL (which I personally have no idea if it will or not), what would happen? Would they just have to find another city? Is there even an outside chance that Flames hockey could return to the QC next year? Just wondering ... and hoping for anything.

I don't know how they could have done things better or different here in the QC. You know a lot more than me about the system and who is up and coming. What do you think? What if they had scraped some money together and held on another year? And I understand you not liking to see the team moving around every couple years either. It reflects poorly on the organization, doesn't it? What if Abbotsford doesn't work out and they want to move again in 2011-12? Will there be cities and owners jumping at the chance to get the Flames AHL squad?

Just another quick question. If the Abbotsford thing were to be denied by the AHL (which I personally have no idea if it will or not), what would happen? Would they just have to find another city? Is there even an outside chance that Flames hockey could return to the QC next year? Just wondering ... and hoping for anything.

I think it woudl have been better and I think they would have been a playoff team. Its very likely that QC would have got the Flames best prospect next year who alone would have provided more offece. Also their top D prospect is on his way too and can move the puck (someting lacking in QC). The players on the team right now, for the most part, would all be returning, so I think it would ahve been a strong year for them.

I definetly think it reflects poorly on the organization and its why I'm not happy about it. However, from what i'm reading it sounds like there is no chance they are back in QC. Mianly because its not only the Flames pulling the plug, the QC group also wants out so it sounds very mutual.

This year a lot of the AHL players have seen time in Calgary due to injuries and what not. I understand your point about it being Canada and everyone supports hockey but there is a WHL team 20 minutes from Abbotsford. As far as saying that the WHL team will survive due to ticket prices being lower, those are set by the team but here in the QC you could sit on the glass for less than $20 (American). And when Manitoba is in town, I feel like this team will be lost ... and they will probably play Manitoba more than 2 times a season because I can't imagine them being in the same division as they are in now (Milwaukee, Chicago, Rockford, Peoria, Iowa, Houston, and San Antonio). I believe that Calgary should have been more committed to seeing this team prosper. You can't use your number 1 minor league team as purely developmental and not care about the on-ice result. How does that develop your players for the NHL? Also, for whatever reason, QC has been a streaky team much of the season. They are still just a few points out of the last playoff spot. This is a money thing. Money is being lost here in the QC and people want out. Why is the money being lost? Because Calgary is not committed to this team and they never were. They should have made it their priority to get this team to the playoffs this year but they didn't. They are always struggling to get up there. People would want to watch this team if they were winning more consistently. The team has a lot of talent but it's just not being utilized well. What should have happened in December is that Ryan McGill should have been moved (probably let go). Instead in December they decided to start shopping around for new cities. What happens when the people of Abbotsford want to see competitive hockey? They will travel the 20 MINUTES to Chilliwack. This team is destined to fail. From the location being so close to Vancouver and Chilliwack, travel (both for them and for opponents), and especially from the NHL affiliate who doesn't give a damn about the AHL squad and never has. Beware Abbotsford!

I agree with you totally!! Calgary is not nor will they ever be comitted to this team unfortunately, I feel for the players because they are well aware of this fact.

I think what we are forgetting here is that this is not yet a far gone conclusion. A lot has been said above that I agree with, but keep in mind, this has yet to be approved by the AHL Board of Governors. I also heard this weekend (through the rumor mill), that they also need approval from the WHL BoG, because they would be so close to the Chillwack Bruins (and to some extent the Vancouver Giants). Among other notable NHL brass, KLowe sits on the WHL Board, and there are still serious concerns. This is not a done deal, although there is only one step left in the process, Ken King and the Flames know it is the biggest step and requires the most work.

Has anyone heard when the AHL Board is meeting?

I think what we are forgetting here is that this is not yet a far gone conclusion. A lot has been said above that I agree with, but keep in mind, this has yet to be approved by the AHL Board of Governors. I also heard this weekend (through the rumor mill), that they also need approval from the WHL BoG, because they would be so close to the Chillwack Bruins (and to some extent the Vancouver Giants). Among other notable NHL brass, KLowe sits on the WHL Board, and there are still serious concerns. This is not a done deal, although there is only one step left in the process, Ken King and the Flames know it is the biggest step and requires the most work.

Has anyone heard when the AHL Board is meeting?

I have heard that they could pull the board together and vote within the next couple of weeks. I then heard they would not be meeting until May. In my opinion, this needs to go to vote now. I'm sure Abby is hoping for more time to plead their case and woo a few fence-sitters. 2 months is a long time to wait to decide where this team is going. There has to be some behind the scenes story here that we won't hear about - plot, scheme, whatever you want to call it. Does it make sense that they would sit on this and risk losing the vote? Abby would have very little time to bring in another team to their shiny new arena. The process just doesn't add up! Why would you make the move public with 19 games left in the season, the uncertainty that the BoG will approve it, the fact that no one considered the move would step on some toes until now...the timing and the potential for this to fail just doesn't make sense to me whatsover.

Thoughts anyone?? (

(Again...I must remind you that I am a selfish hockey fan who is set to lose her team in the QC and would like nothing more than this grand plan to FAIL!)

Thats the teams #1 problem, he's terrible!

I have heard that they could pull the board together and vote within the next couple of weeks. I then heard they would not be meeting until May. In my opinion, this needs to go to vote now. I'm sure Abby is hoping for more time to plead their case and woo a few fence-sitters. 2 months is a long time to wait to decide where this team is going. There has to be some behind the scenes story here that we won't hear about - plot, scheme, whatever you want to call it. Does it make sense that they would sit on this and risk losing the vote? Abby would have very little time to bring in another team to their shiny new arena. The process just doesn't add up! Why would you make the move public with 19 games left in the season, the uncertainty that the BoG will approve it, the fact that no one considered the move would step on some toes until now...the timing and the potential for this to fail just doesn't make sense to me whatsover.

Thoughts anyone?? (

(Again...I must remind you that I am a selfish hockey fan who is set to lose her team in the QC and would like nothing more than this grand plan to FAIL!)

Even if it does, it looks like the QC and Flames agreement is off regardless. Both parties want out. QC wants more financial support from the Flames, and the Flames dont' like the arragnment so both have parted ways. The Flames arn't yanking their farm team, its mutual. So even if Abbotsford falls throgh, which yes is quite possible, its not likely your going to see the QC Flames ever again. There is already talks they would look elsewhere and may even end up having to split a team.

Thats the teams #1 problem, he's terrible!

Amen to that! If you have ever sat within earshot of McGill during a game, you would wonder how he could motivate any player. Rather than take the opportunity to TEACH and move on with the game, he insults them and tells them how stupid they are. If I were to go into detail, I would probably get booted off the boards so just trust me on this one. And before the argument comes up, his success in Hartford doesn't apply here...different team, different town, different circumstances. I have no idea why they guy still has a job here...he's a complete azz.

Even if it does, it looks like the QC and Flames agreement is off regardless. Both parties want out. QC wants more financial support from the Flames, and the Flames dont' like the arragnment so both have parted ways. The Flames arn't yanking their farm team, its mutual. So even if Abbotsford falls throgh, which yes is quite possible, its not likely your going to see the QC Flames ever again. There is already talks they would look elsewhere and may even end up having to split a team.

I wasn't suggesting we had a chance to keep the team (although a girl can dream right? :) I'm just trying to figure out why things fell into place they way they have. There is no money to keep this team in the QC barring a last minute millionaire sweeping in to save the day. I guess I'm trying to figure out what the #1 priority is for this team. Moving a team for a 3rd time in 4 years does not make player development seem like a priority.

I wasn't suggesting we had a chance to keep the team (although a girl can dream right? :) I'm just trying to figure out why things fell into place they way they have. There is no money to keep this team in the QC barring a last minute millionaire sweeping in to save the day. I guess I'm trying to figure out what the #1 priority is for this team. Moving a team for a 3rd time in 4 years does not make player development seem like a priority.

I'd assume priority #1 in any business is profit. Players will develop as long as they have a team to develop on, whether its in Omaha, QC, Abbostford, or Timbuktu. I just feel bad for the fans...