The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Confirmed: QC Flames moving

I'd assume priority #1 in any business is profit. Players will develop as long as they have a team to develop on, whether its in Omaha, QC, Abbostford, or Timbuktu. I just feel bad for the fans...

Thr truth is hard to swallow. Money matters, plain and simple. And you are right on - these players have develpoed well here regardless. Losing our team is just hard to process. I'm looking for the ultimate explanation to make me feel better and there isn't one...thanks for letting me try anyway. It's good to be heard...

i am a nucks fan first flames second and live in aldergrove bc about 10 mins from the arena. i donbt care who the affiliate team is it could be carolina for all i care i would still go and cheer for the home team. (moose exception only) but having a team in abbotsford gives us in the area so many other options.

canucks tickets are so bloody expensive and there is a six year wait list for seasons tix

giants not sufficient enough of a transit system to get to a giants game from the valley and parking plus gas could be a hurt on the wallet

bruins again transit is an issue and i hate driving east into chilliwack dont get me wrong i love going to bruin games but one cant always afford gas

then their is the junior a team the chiefs quick car ride to langley

home town junior b team the kodiaks in aldergrove are entertaining

and then to have an ahl team in abby would give us so much hockey to chhose from it would be awesome there are enough people in the LM that would welcome this team it gives us options.

picture this

monday night cheifs game

tuesday night giants game

wednesday night kodiaks game

thursday night bruins game

friday night canucks game

saturday night abbotsford game

sunday night your kids game

so much hockey it would be awesome

and to those fans in the qc if you do lose the baby flames, try getting an expansion for the dallas stars to get a farm team as dallas is the only team in the nhl w/o a farm affilliate

bring the qc flames to abbottsford hell you could call them the abbotsford jets that'd be sweet

The Jets would be wicked name. Not sure what happened to the "new" WHA, so I don't think the Oliver Jets would object.

As for the Stars, they are getting an AHL affiliate in a suburb of Austin, so they are taken care of.

I would love this to happen, but there are so many variables. GO JETS GO!

Amen to that! If you have ever sat within earshot of McGill during a game, you would wonder how he could motivate any player. Rather than take the opportunity to TEACH and move on with the game, he insults them and tells them how stupid they are. If I were to go into detail, I would probably get booted off the boards so just trust me on this one. And before the argument comes up, his success in Hartford doesn't apply here...different team, different town, different circumstances. I have no idea why they guy still has a job here...he's a complete azz.

You hit the nail on the head!

Made it official yesterday. Announcement

Doesn't mention int he article, but they announced a 10 year Deal with Abbotsford. Just pending AHL league approval which they have confirmed they have requested.

Made it official yesterday. http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/03/12/flames_abbotsford/' target="_blank">Announcement[/post]

Doesn't mention int he article, but they announced a 10 year Deal with Abbotsford. Just pending AHL league approval which they have confirmed they have requested.

I read this article last week and every article I have found says the same thing...awaiting the BoG vote. Still no timetable as to when that will happen. I also heard the WHL may have to vote on it too?? Any news on that? I say just get the deal done.

I read this article last week and every article I have found says the same thing...awaiting the BoG vote. Still no timetable as to when that will happen. I also heard the WHL may have to vote on it too?? Any news on that? I say just get the deal done.

They are thinking earliest is April from what i've heard.

To expand on the WHL, I don't think that they get a vote but I think there is some talk they'll get consideration/have an impact for two reasons. 1. Chillawack Bruins are owned by Burke and someone else. So there is talk that they will just tell their AHL affiliates to vote against it. 2. Becuase the Flames own the Hitmen, I know there are many in the WHL upset because they view this as a partner hampering their business. Technically, the Flames have an interest in the success of the WHL due to the Hitmen, and thus putting a team in Abbotsford is deemed detrimental to the WHL. So I think thats why there is talk that the WHL will get a voice in this matter but I don't think they'll receive a vote.

All in all, I think i'm actually going to be very suprised if this passes. There are too many people that don't want it and logistically it doens't make a lot of sense. Its going to raise travel costs for many teams in the AHL, it adds to an already tough schedule, and then are many interest in the AHL or related to the AHL that don't want it.

I'm be suprised if the Flames ever make it to Abbotsford.

I dont understand why people are making a big deal out of it. Its hockey, almost everybody in BC loves hockey and doesnt matter if there called Abbotsford Flames or w.e people are still going to watch it. There in BC and your going to cheer for your hometown team. I would watch it, better than spending 100 bucks at a canucks game per person.

I know they are planning on subsidizing the travel so it shouldn't financially strain the AHL budget for visiting teams. The sticking point for me is the time difference from one side of the continent to the other, especially when teams play back to back then add a Sunday game in there and it just seems so impractical. Guess the schedule makers will hammer that all out. I don't think the question is whether BC will support hockey. That is a given. To me, the problem is strictly geographical.

Just in from the the 6pm news in QC tonight...they did, in fact, "sign the 10 year deal with Abbotsford. It is almost a done deal"...we shall see...

I dont understand why people are making a big deal out of it. Its hockey, almost everybody in BC loves hockey and doesnt matter if there called Abbotsford Flames or w.e people are still going to watch it. There in BC and your going to cheer for your hometown team. I would watch it, better than spending 100 bucks at a canucks game per person.

Like cross said, the "big deal" is two fold. Within the AHL having a team in Abbotsford means huge travel time. They said the closest AHL team to Abbotsford is a 24 hour bus ride away. Within the WHL, they will end up with competition for their hockey fan market by adding an AHL team in their area.

For the Fans I think this is a great thing because they get another team in the area to cheer for.

In a perfect world I'd prefer the Lethbridge Flames, but I still like this. But go ahead stupid canucks fans, boo them all you want, waste your 20 dollars, it won't phase em'. It'll only build character and then they'll get called up and beat the nucks on the big stage! :P

It'll be a strange relationship between players and fans...

In a perfect world I'd prefer the Lethbridge Flames, but I still like this. But go ahead stupid canucks fans, boo them all you want, waste your 20 dollars, it won't phase em'. It'll only build character and then they'll get called up and beat the nucks on the big stage! :P

It'll be a strange relationship between players and fans...

Hopefully it doesnt convert 12 year old canuck fans to flames fans <_<

I did read an article that said they would find a unique name for the team. The new owner has said he had no interest in making the locals into Flames fans (but if it happens, I'm all for it), and I'm not sure if there will also be unique colours. Although using the old Atlanta Flames logo was a nice retro thought. Any ideas for a new name?

If they used the Atlanta Flames A with the current jersey design would be very sharp.

If they used the Atlanta Flames A with the current jersey design would be very sharp.

I personally would like to see something that refelects locally, and showcases the Abbotsford city, not just piggy-backs on the parent club. I love the "A", but unique is the way to go, especially to show support for the local team. (Having unique colours would not make you stand out so much in the crowd.)

I am sad for the hockey fans in QC - not so sad for the QCSV team.

The Flames ought never have pulled out of Omaha. We had an 18% increase in attendance the second year, and enthusiasm was growing with the realization that there was an AHL affiliate in Omaha (it was very poorly rolled out in Omaha, for those who don't know).

With the UNO Mavs doing so terrible, and the Lancer's attendance dragging the past two years, the Omaha Ak-Sar-Ben Knights were on track to be the winners of the local hockey fans. We'll never know, but I would have easily bet crowds would be close to 4,800 by now.

I plan to go see them one last time in QC this weekend (5 hours east), and then in Des Moines on Saturday. I will watch for them to come play Iowa as long as there is a team there. The two years here have created some die-hard Calagry Flames fans to be sure.

I was telling my 78 year-old mother about the Flames leaving QC. I then went on to say, "We need to move to an NHL town, like Chicago or Minneapolis..."

Mom fired back without pause, "Nope, -how about Calgary!"

Go Flames!!!

You know what else is awesome? From next season on we can say "Send him to the Valley!" instead of the boring old "Send him to the farm team..."

Just thought that was pretty badass!

So I've heard word that the AHL board of governors is meeting in Chicago on April 28, we will know then what the final decision is.

Edit: THN has stated the date as May 5. Either way, it's within the week.