The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FlamesFanatic

Mikael Backlund update

PPG in his first 13 games in NA is actually better than I expected. I think he'll only be going up from now up.

Nice to hear on update on him though. I was going to go search within the next couple of days.

I really need to get to a Rockets game by the end of the year while he's still here in Kelowna. I have a feeling that he will be playing with us next year, if we have any hope of resigning Cammy we're gonna need a cheap youngster or two.

I wonder how his defensive game is coming along.

According to his Junior coach, Ryan Huska, very well.

Called him a "special player without the puck".

For those interested, Kerr inteview Huska on Backlund on Fan 960.com

http://fan960.com/ondemand/media.jsp?content=20090211_204219_32788' target="_blank">Radio Interview with Kelowna Coach Ryan Huska[/post]

We can now see how good of a player Backlund is and why Sutter drafted him. he seems to get quite accustomed to the game already, and the game he did play here I thought he played really well. He has to be by far our most skilled prospect, kinda reminds me of Juice but with more scoring prowess and more physical. Looking forward to seeing him on the team either next year or the year after!

We can now see how good of a player Backlund is and why Sutter drafted him. he seems to get quite accustomed to the game already, and the game he did play here I thought he played really well. He has to be by far our most skilled prospect, kinda reminds me of Juice but with more scoring prowess and more physical. Looking forward to seeing him on the team either next year or the year after!

Kinda like Juice....difference being that he's not useless without the puck. :ph34r:

Not only watched the game, but I was there. I was sitting right behind Kelowna's bench, you may have seen me on TV (brown plaid shirt). Anyway ...

I wasn't as impressed with Backlund as I thought, although he was quietly effective. He saw time on the PP and SH, assisting on Myers SH goal, as well as killing a 5 on 3 in the first. 2 assists and a plus-2. I saw a little of him during the Giants game on last Friday, he was better then. I can see how he would make the Flames next year, and I think with even more improvement, he will be better. The kid is something good.

who do you think backlund would be most like when he is fully devloped???

so far he has 26points in 25games. 16 are assists

1.jarome

2.camy

3.langkow

4.rene

5.bert

i think he will be like more like camy but more of an assister

even thou he has a sick shot

1.jarome

2.camy

3.langkow

4.rene

5.bert

no idea. If those assists are actually things of beauty that setup goals and not tacked on second assists then maybe Tanguay

or bert lol

1.jarome

2.camy

3.langkow

4.rene

5.bert

I don't think he is like any of those players. If you want me to pick a comparison, i'd say Bert but thats only becuase i'm forced to. He doens't play a similar game to those guys.

He does have a Langkow like defensive game, althought nowhere near as developed obviously.

If your looking for an NHL comparison two names come to mind. Scott Gomez or Patrick Marleau. He has Marleau like speed and also a Marleau like shot. He's got some scott Gomez in him becuase he is an adapt playmaker, but he also plays with more passion than I see out of Gomez.

Did Backlund get hurt, because he hasn't played the last 3 games. Including tonights playoff game. If anyone knows please let me know.

Yes he is. I'm not 100% sure what he hurt exactly, althought I remember reading it was a Knee, and he tweaked it in one of the last game's of the reguarl season.

However, he is close to returning and is probable for Game 3 according to the Rockets play by play guy http://reganbartel.blogspot.com/' target="_blank">Regan Bartel[/post]

Backlund is back (I think) at least he was in game three, as the primary assist on the overtime winner. (a beauty pass from behind the net they say)

Kelowna Rockets sweep the Blazers and move to the second round of the playoffs.