The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FlamesFanatic

Mikael Backlund update

That's too bad. Is it the same knee that he previously hurt in Sweden when he was 17. Remember, that's how we were able to draft him so low in the first place.

I don't know which knee it was. However he played in games 2 and 3, he picked up 1 goal and 1 assist, in a 7-2 win. Kelowna still trails Tri- City 2-1 in the the series though. Game 4 is tonight. I'm pretty sure Kelowna will win this series, they just have too much fire power.

I don't know which knee it was. However he played in games 2 and 3, he picked up 1 goal and 1 assist, in a 7-2 win. Kelowna still trails Tri- City 2-1 in the the series though. Game 4 is tonight. I'm pretty sure Kelowna will win this series, they just have too much fire power.

It was a minor injury aparantly. Nothing serious.

Kelowna did in fact win tonight. 4-3 in OT. Backlund had the game's first goal for his only point of the night. Was stopped on a penalty shot with 5 mins to play, and had 2 great chances in OT but was robbed by Chet Picharkt (Nashville's first rounder). By the sounds of the game, he was everyone offensivly and was tough to contain. Just couldn't beat Pickard.

It was a minor injury aparantly. Nothing serious.

Kelowna did in fact win tonight. 4-3 in OT. Backlund had the game's first goal for his only point of the night. Was stopped on a penalty shot with 5 mins to play, and had 2 great chances in OT but was robbed by Chet Picharkt (Nashville's first rounder). By the sounds of the game, he was everyone offensivly and was tough to contain. Just couldn't beat Pickard.

thanx! good to hear the kid is being an effective player in a playoff atmosphere.

Hopefully he doesn't pick up the "just couldn't finish bug" as we already have soo many of those on the big club (moss, jokinen in particular).

Backlund was the first star, with only a goal, in last nights 5-2 win over the Tri City Americans to take a 3-2 series lead heading back to Kelowna. Sounds like another game where he was clearly the best player and almost impossible to contain. Been that way every since he returned to the lineup.

Backlund was the first star, with only a goal, in last nights 5-2 win over the Tri City Americans to take a 3-2 series lead heading back to Kelowna. Sounds like another game where he was clearly the best player and almost impossible to contain. Been that way every since he returned to the lineup.

Good to hear. Hopefully he can keep it up.

Good to hear. Hopefully he can keep it up.

Did anyone else hear the 'Future Prospect' report a couple games ago where they called his 30 points in 28 regular season games "disappointing". Had a good laugh over that one.

Go Americans!! the sooner kelowna is out the sooner backlund can be recalled. he did not look out of place at all in his only NHL game and we could use some extra depth right now.

Go Americans!! the sooner kelowna is out the sooner backlund can be recalled. he did not look out of place at all in his only NHL game and we could use some extra depth right now.

sorry to burst your bubble.

Rockets won 6-2 tonight to win the series 4-2 and will move on to face either Spokane of Vancouver in the West final.

Backlund with a 3 point night (2 goals and an assist) and was name the first star for the 2nd game in a row. He's been tearing up this series.

How many points does Backlund have so far in the playoffs?

5 goals, 3 assists in 7 games.

I hope Spokane gets past Vancouver, I'd love to see Wahl vs. Backlund in the western finals.

Got to see a little bit of tonight's game between Spokane and Vancouver, and Wahl was absolutely buzzing tonight. Had 2 assists, and a couple of good opportunities to end it in OT. Too bad the Chiefs lost tonight and have to face game 7 in Vancouver.

But I'm already liking the thought of Backlund and Wahl being 2 of our top 3 centers, possibly our #1/#2 combo 5 years down the road.

I'd rather see the Giants win their series with Spokane.

Only because I'm selfish and want to go to the Giants home games in a series vs. Kelowna. It's fun watching Backlund play :D

5 goals, 3 assists in 7 games.

I hope Spokane gets past Vancouver, I'd love to see Wahl vs. Backlund in the western finals.

Got to see a little bit of tonight's game between Spokane and Vancouver, and Wahl was absolutely buzzing tonight. Had 2 assists, and a couple of good opportunities to end it in OT. Too bad the Chiefs lost tonight and have to face game 7 in Vancouver.

But I'm already liking the thought of Backlund and Wahl being 2 of our top 3 centers, possibly our #1/#2 combo 5 years down the road.

Which doesn't tell the whole story. He missed game 1 of the Tri City series, and i've heard that although he played game 2, he was tentative about his injury (believe to be a knee) and was not himself. I think the bigger argument to show how good Backlund has been is that the Rockets have only lost 1 game with him in the linup and that was Game 2 that I was talking about. The won 4 straight to take the series, once Backlund was himself. He has easily been their best player offensive from the games i've heard, and from people in Kelowna i've talked to. Which is significant when you remember that Kelown features guys like Colin Long (top 10 in WHL scoring) and Jamie Benn.

Which doesn't tell the whole story. He missed game 1 of the Tri City series, and i've heard that although he played game 2, he was tentative about his injury (believe to be a knee) and was not himself. I think the bigger argument to show how good Backlund has been is that the Rockets have only lost 1 game with him in the linup and that was Game 2 that I was talking about. The won 4 straight to take the series, once Backlund was himself. He has easily been their best player offensive from the games i've heard, and from people in Kelowna i've talked to. Which is significant when you remember that Kelown features guys like Colin Long (top 10 in WHL scoring) and Jamie Benn.

Yeah, exactly, his stats don't tell the whole story.

It's quite something, though, that he's probably been their best player offensively on a team that boasts a guy in Jamie Benn who's already got 23 points in 10 playoff games...

Agree. I think he was stuck in a rut in Sweden, and wasn't being given the right opportunity there. It only helped his development to learn the NA game.

He was featured again here.

The preamble:

With all due respect to the likes of Jamie Benn, Evander Kane, Drayson Bowman and Brayden Schenn, Mikael Backlund is the most dynamic, electrifying and dominant player right now in the Western Hockey League.

^_^

He was featured again http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-46289-7-.htm#46289' target="_blank">here[/post].

I'm really starting to think of Backlund not just as a sure 2nd line/potential 1st line centre, but as a sure 1st line/potential superstar centre. I've always thought he was going to be the answer to our chronic 1st line problems, and despite that waning a bit with his problems in Sweden this year, his play right now has confirmed to me that he's going to be something special. ^_^

Can't wait to see him playing full-time with the Flames in the next year or two.

My Giants-Rockets dream series has come true. I'm so excited to see Backlund play again, he's a hell of a player to watch.

WOOT! I'm going to Game Two Giants/Rockets series here in Vancouver on Sunday!

I'll get to see Backlund live for the first time (though I will be cheering for the Giants :blush: )

Should be sweet!

Man, this kid looks more and more like a promising young superstar every game.

It's almost a shame he's destined to end up a Flame, and therefore will have a breakout year or two in the NHL before being handed a giant contract and subjected to years of misuse, thus transforming him into yet another complacent, overpaid hack. :ph34r: