The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FlamesFanatic

Mikael Backlund update

Man, this kid looks more and more like a promising young superstar every game.

It's almost a shame he's destined to end up a Flame, and therefore will have a breakout year or two in the NHL before being handed a giant contract and subjected to years of misuse, thus transforming him into yet another complacent, overpaid hack. :ph34r:

We don't need you to spin every single post into something negative. Its getting old.

There are plenty of threads where you can vent frusturation. Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqGTuS2YjeA' target="_blank">backlund highlights game #6 western semi-final[/post]

:)

also, 1 g, 2 a tonight as Kelowna took a victory 4-2 against the Giants.

I believe thats the third game in a row where Backlund has been named the game's first star. Since game 2 of the Tri City series (after he came back injured) he has 10 points in 5 games, 6 of them goals and is a plus 8.

3 points in each in his last two games, and like I already mentioned, first star in every game for the last 3.

We don't need you to spin every single post into something negative. Its getting old.

There are plenty of threads where you can vent frusturation. Thanks

It's a joke, relax. :rolleyes: It's hard not to be excited about Backlund.

I'm really starting to think of Backlund not just as a sure 2nd line/potential 1st line centre, but as a sure 1st line/potential superstar centre. I've always thought he was going to be the answer to our chronic 1st line problems, and despite that waning a bit with his problems in Sweden this year, his play right now has confirmed to me that he's going to be something special. ^_^

Can't wait to see him playing full-time with the Flames in the next year or two.

[/quot

Did you mean a "a sure 1st line/potential superstar centre" in the WHL because thats what he is. If youre declaring him that in the NHL thats a HUGE step forward, and more likely than not, never going to happen. To peg someone as a superstar nhl center, when there is maybe 5 in the whole league, is ridicolous, given people with much better pedegrees than him have fallen short. Lets wait 3-5 years and see

I wish he was on the Flames now.

I want to see him play one more year in the minors before bringing him up. He needs to get conditioned to playing North American hockey and I don't think bringing him into a team that could be facing a blow-up-and-rebuild year is the best thing for his development.

Did you mean a "a sure 1st line/potential superstar centre" in the WHL because thats what he is. If youre declaring him that in the NHL thats a HUGE step forward, and more likely than not, never going to happen. To peg someone as a superstar nhl center, when there is maybe 5 in the whole league, is ridicolous, given people with much better pedegrees than him have fallen short. Lets wait 3-5 years and see

"Superstar" was probably the wrong word. I meant more along the lines of an all-star centre.

And I'm talking potential here, so obviously he could fall flat or he could reach it or anywhere in between. My main point was that his recent play has re-affirmed to me that he's probably going to be our 1st line centre of the future, that's all.

Boo, Vancouver ties their series with Kelowna after scoring in the 1st OT. <_<

But Backlund had 2 assists and was a plus 1, so that's good. :)

A swede who can score in clutch moments and backs it up with some trash talk.. I am just gonna pretend he is Canadian.

But in all seriousness, I was not sold on the guy from what I saw in training camp. It sure sounds like he is something to get excited about. I hope he can keep it up in the NHL.

great to see the kid doing well. That being said, let's keep expectations for real here. The WHL is what it is, a minor league. I'm not pencilling him into the flames lineup come fall just yet. But the following year, he will be a flames top 6.

It would be awesome if he has a killer training camp and makes it tough of the coaches/management to decide whether to keep him up with the big club or not.

great to see the kid doing well. That being said, let's keep expectations for real here. The WHL is what it is, a minor league. I'm not pencilling him into the flames lineup come fall just yet. But the following year, he will be a flames top 6.

It would be awesome if he has a killer training camp and makes it tough of the coaches/management to decide whether to keep him up with the big club or not.

Flames already have Jokinen, Langkow, and Conroy all under contract for next season. Your right, it woudl take an absolutle killer camp from Backlund, becuase for him to make the team he is going to have to out play one of those 3 guys. Not likely IMO. He isn't going to make the team to play 4th line, and is not a natural winger and doesn't look comfortable there.

Its more hope for the future than anything right now. I think he needs to go to the A next year for sure, but it does provide a hope for the future. If he didn't dominate the Dub my expecations for him would have droped.

Just went to the Game Two between the Giants/Rockets last night.

Backlund didn't really stand out in this game (Giants 4-3 win in OT) as much as I thought he would, but he was still exceptionally dangerous especially on the powerplay.

His skating is definitely miles ahead of most and with the exception of a couple "Giants" on the Vancouver blueline, Backlund was the biggest player out there. He seems to be rounding into NHL size.

2 assists and the game's 2nd star.

:)

I went to Game 1 on Saturday, he was awesome. His goal was a thing of beauty and I was so excited that he was first star.

Didn't go last night but I watched it on tv and he was obviously not AS good, and he took 3 penalties. Yeesh. Still showed off his skill - at one point, the announcers were talking about his 'NHL-level skill'. =D

http://www.whl.ca/rockets-mikael-backlund-named-boston-pizza-whl-player-of-the-week-p128181' target="_blank">Backlund named WHL player of the week[/post]

I just can't stop finding good stuff to post about this guy. I really hope he matures into one of those players we've all been waiting for. so far so good.

:) Way to go Mikael! It's hard to accurately describe in words how excited I am to see this young man in a Flames jersey in a season or two! So glad he's playing here in North America, I don't think he would've developed properly in Sweden. Plus, he's definitely got me paying more attention to the WHL now.

Is it possible we could see Rockets-Hitmen in the playoffs? What a series that would be!

:) Way to go Mikael! It's hard to accurately describe in words how excited I am to see this young man in a Flames jersey in a season or two! So glad he's playing here in North America, I don't think he would've developed properly in Sweden. Plus, he's definitely got me paying more attention to the WHL now.

Is it possible we could see Rockets-Hitmen in the playoffs? What a series that would be!

He was named CHL player of the week today. http://www.whl.ca/rockets%E2%80%99-mikael-backlund-named-boston-pizza-chl-player-of-the-week-p128194' target="_blank">link[/post] beating out Ryan Ennis for the top honors.

A great week for a great player. I think the Rockets will be on shaw TV vs the Giants today.

Rockets - Hitmen? Please no, I wouldn't know who to cheer for! Although, for Backlund and Grantham to have Memorial Cup wins would be good for the Flames. But Calgary to hoist the banner in the fall would be real nice too!

Rockets are down 2-1. Giants won last night with a last minute goal by other Flames prospect Lance Bowma.

Backlund with zero points, but was still named the games 2nd star. Mainly, becuase you notice him on every single shift both offensivly and defensivly. Man, can that guy get the puck off his stick in a hurry for his age. Doesnt' matter if its a pass or a shot. Long would have had a goal but I think he wasn't even ready for how fast Backlund got him the puck.

Something to feel good about:

Local Calgary people have a good opportunity to watch Backlund. Kelown won 5-4 in OT tonight to beat Vancouver 4-2 and win the series. Kelowna will play Calgary in the WHL final.

Backlund had a hat trick and his 2nd goal was a highlight reel goal. All himself, took it through the neutral zone, split two dman, and fired an off blance wrister far side that he stuck just under the bar in the corner. Just an amazing goal that i'm sure will win up on the internet somewhere soon.

The only bad thing about this upcoming final series is who to cheer for. I think ultimately I want to see Calgary go for the 4-0 sweep, but see Backlund go on an absolute tear and make it a challenge for them.

Oh man. After the craptastic Flames game, it was nice to see Backlund complete his hat trick even if it was a looooong review. Only I kinda wanted a Game 7 so I could selfishly go to the game, but they'll need the rest after THAT series.. and with the Hitmen all rested :P

I'm just glad that the Giants are out. I compare them to the Red Wings, all firepower, with suspect goaltending. Either way, congrats Backlund! Here's to lots of scoring for the Flames in the future!

GO HITMEN GO!

Something to feel good about:

Local Calgary people have a good opportunity to watch Backlund. Kelown won 5-4 in OT tonight to beat Vancouver 4-2 and win the series. Kelowna will play Calgary in the WHL final.

Backlund had a hat trick and his 2nd goal was a highlight reel goal. All himself, took it through the neutral zone, split two dman, and fired an off blance wrister far side that he stuck just under the bar in the corner. Just an amazing goal that i'm sure will win up on the internet somewhere soon.

I've never really been one to do this but I will have to go buy some Hitmen tickets in order to see Backlund in action. I also wouldn't mind watching the Hitmen's systems to see if Lowry and Otto should really become the new coaches in the Flames team like my sig suggests.

I've never really been one to do this but I will have to go buy some Hitmen tickets in order to see Backlund in action. I also wouldn't mind watching the Hitmen's systems to see if Lowry and Otto should really become the new coaches in the Flames team like my sig suggests.

For the playoffs, its honestly worth it. I would recommend to everyone in Calgary to go and watch at least a game. Hopefully i'm not jinxing it, but Backlund has truly been awesome to watch these playoffs. Every game I watch, he is the best player (next to Tyler Myers) on the ice, and thats impressive when you place Vancouver and remember they have one of the top prospects on their team in Evandor Kane.

Now that I say that, he'll probably suck, but really there have been maybe 2 games this plays (one of which wsa following an injury) where I thought, or I read, that Backlund was a non factor.