The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FlamesFanatic

Mikael Backlund update

That was my thread that was shut down :lol: funny thing is, some idoit who posted on it before it was shut down was that backlund will only be a 60-70 point player.. ? i see a points per game player on him :blink:

Roberts said that he looked like a 60-70 point player or similar to Marleau. That isn't being stupid and its a good conservative guess really because players take awhile to develop and you never know how they might end up.

Also I checked some other sites and Theo broke 100 points in '91 and '93 respectively. While it would be nice if Backlund turned into this, don't be too disappointed if he doesn't turn out to be a 100 point player, because most players aren't that good heh.

Though you really shouldn't call people idiots when your opinion is just as outrageous. You originally stated he was a 90-100 point player so I don't see how his statement makes him an idiot when you have a similar statement just in an opposite direction.

He had a GREAT game last nite though with 2 goals as the Rockets shut down the Hitmen :D

Roberts said that he looked like a 60-70 point player or similar to Marleau. That isn't being stupid and its a good conservative guess really because players take awhile to develop and you never know how they might end up.

Also I checked some other sites and Theo broke 100 points in '91 and '93 respectively. While it would be nice if Backlund turned into this, don't be too disappointed if he doesn't turn out to be a 100 point player, because most players aren't that good heh.

Though you really shouldn't call people idiots when your opinion is just as outrageous. You originally stated he was a 90-100 point player so I don't see how his statement makes him an idiot when you have a similar statement just in an opposite direction.

He had a GREAT game last nite though with 2 goals as the Rockets shut down the Hitmen :D

I also found it funny that one poster says 60-70 points, he says PPG. Thats only a different of about 10 points or so. Defienty not enough to call someone an "idiot".

IMO, Backlund hasn't been as good in this series so far as he was in the other series. However, next to Meyers (who next to Guggenburger is the reason the Rockets are up 2-0) he has been the Rockets best player. Colin Long has been neutralized, and Benn has been getting run all over the place. Backlund has been getting run to, but he gets right back up and into the play. Down low, he is still very dominant, but he was better in the other series'.

What I did like about his two goals though, were they were crash the net garbage goals that you dont' expect a player like Backlund to score.

However, he has raised his defensive game. His defensive awareness is just so good for someone his age. He is almost always in the right spot.

I also found it funny that one poster says 60-70 points, he says PPG. Thats only a different of about 10 points or so. Defienty not enough to call someone an "idiot".

IMO, Backlund hasn't been as good in this series so far as he was in the other series. However, next to Meyers (who next to Guggenburger is the reason the Rockets are up 2-0) he has been the Rockets best player. Colin Long has been neutralized, and Benn has been getting run all over the place. Backlund has been getting run to, but he gets right back up and into the play. Down low, he is still very dominant, but he was better in the other series'.

What I did like about his two goals though, were they were crash the net garbage goals that you dont' expect a player like Backlund to score.

However, he has raised his defensive game. His defensive awareness is just so good for someone his age. He is almost always in the right spot.

whatever lol, bad mood, sorry. still though saying he will only be a 60 point player is a underevaluating him, he would have gone in the top 8 or so if not for a knee injury , if he didnt wanna sound like a "idoit" he should have futher explained himself. not my fault -_-

whatever lol, bad mood, sorry. still though saying he will only be a 60 point player is a underevaluating him, he would have gone in the top 8 or so if not for a knee injury , if he didnt wanna sound like a "idoit" he should have futher explained himself. not my fault -_-

How many of Backlund's games have you actually watched?

If anything you should be explaining why you call someone ELSE an idiot since I think thats more worthy of an explanation than trying to guess his potential numbers? Maybe you are OVER-evaluating him.

Like I pointed out, 60-70 points wouldn't surprise me in the long run because well...prospects are prospects...they aren't a sure thing. We all thought Daniel Tkachuck and Rico Fata would be amazing players and look what happened to them?

He is good, but not to the point where one can say "Oh yeah he is for sure the next 100 point player". You're just going to disappoint yourself in the long run like that.

Currently I've only seen some of the Kelowna games and I like what I see. To me he might project to a Patrick Marleau type skillset but I haven't seen anything in him that would warrant to put him on the level of Pavel Datsyuk and HES not even a 100 point player yet :P

Hitmen win game 4 by a score of 6-2...

...But guess who scored those 2 goals for Kelowna? ^_^

I hope we see lots of backlund next year in the AHL, with the occasional call up; the main one preferrably, as we saw with Lundmark this year.

The guy seems to be able to produce well, and is a smart player. I just hope that we can utilize him wisely without theowing him into situations he cannot yet handle(NHL), if we take our time to develop Backlund, I think he will be a force in the flames roster in years to come, it shouldn't be too much longer.

I hope we see lots of backlund next year in the AHL, with the occasional call up; the main one preferrably, as we saw with Lundmark this year.

The guy seems to be able to produce well, and is a smart player. I just hope that we can utilize him wisely without theowing him into situations he cannot yet handle(NHL), if we take our time to develop Backlund, I think he will be a force in the flames roster in years to come, it shouldn't be too much longer.

I think at the current rate, Backlund won't be in the AHL next year even :D

Backlund can only play a max of 9 games next year as a call up or it will count as a full year on his entry level deal. I think he gets his max amount of games next year and plays in the AHL for the rest.

I would also pull up Nemisz and play them together for the 9 games early in the season. Possibly even play Nemisz in the AHL next year with Backlund to hopefully develope chemistry. I think Nemisz has another year of OHL left though.

Backlund can only play a max of 9 games next year as a call up or it will count as a full year on his entry level deal. I think he gets his max amount of games next year and plays in the AHL for the rest.

I would also pull up Nemisz and play them together for the 9 games early in the season. Possibly even play Nemisz in the AHL next year with Backlund to hopefully develope chemistry. I think Nemisz has another year of OHL left though.

That only applies if you are sending him back to junior, which IMO is very unlikely. If he spends the full year in the A, he eats a full year off the entry level deal. He'll play in the AHL still IMO. He has some adjusting to do before he goes full bore into the NHL.

Nemisz is very likely heading back to the OHL and I'd be shocked to see him in the AHL next season. He'll figure prominantly on the Spitfires next year, really only has 2 seasons in the OHL, and could even figure in the mix for Team Canada next year.

Well, from the one game i've ever watched of Backlund, he looked like a Huselius-type player with Huselius-like potential but only weaker and softer. By weak and soft, i mean, think Dustin Boyd's rookie season. If an NHL player even puts a little pinky finger on him, he'll collapse to the ice and stay down for 5-minutes... quite literally.

He's listed as 6'-0" 194lb but that sounds too generous. He needs to bulk up to like 195-200 lb of solid matter with like 3% body fat or less. Then, and only then, can he handle the physical abuse of the NHL game.

i am not sure how serious you are.... but do you realise it is actually life threatening to have a body fat % under 3? (11% for females)

i think you are probably just over-exaggerating because of reading too much "high hopes" from most posts. do you really think he is worse than huselius?

i have watched (on tv) parts of a few whl finals games and didnt think he was that bad. i think he should probably spend the next year in the ahl. it is always tough to imagine what a player in the dub will look like once they are in the speed of the nhl and being smashed by players that are 200-240 lbs.

cheers

I think to see Backlund in the AHL next year is the best possible situation for him, and I'm not saying that just so I can see him play here. He's shown how well he can handle the WHL, especially with the playoffs Kelowna is having right now, so to put him in Abbotsford with bigger, faster bodies will benefit him, IMO.

Two goals last night vs. the Hitmen, I love his scoring ways, but I still want Calgary to go to the Memorial Cup.

He played okay tonight. He was possibly the best Kelowna forward, but that wasn't saying much tonight. He had a breakway despite being down on 5 on 3. He played fairly well on the PK tonight.

What if he makes it out of camp and looks good well in to December?

Poses an interesting problem, somebody has to give if Jokinen is still around (assuming he'll not be moved for a pick in the off season).

Potential centre depth

Jokinen

Langkow

Backlund

Boyd

Conroy

Primeau

Jokinen can play wing, so can Boyd.

Jokinen - Backlund - Iginla

Bourque - Langkow - Boyd

Glencross - Conroy - Moss

Nystrom - Primeau - ?

I could live with that, assuming Backlund can take a spot.

Saw him play at the opening game of whl's memorial cup final in the dome

He makes tape to tape pass, power forwards does not work with him

For him to do well, we need a winger who can win battles on the boards

And another winger who can skate well, pass if someone's open, and shoot well

Backlund will get open, quite often, in the high slot, with no one covering him

And he can make passes that should be difficult with ease

And get open for players who work on boards

But power forwards, i just don't see it hapening

Maybe cammalleri, boyd, or nystrom could work...maybe

And that being said, hope we can sign cammalleri

Well, from the one game i've ever watched of Backlund, he looked like a Huselius-type player with Huselius-like potential but only weaker and softer. By weak and soft, i mean, think Dustin Boyd's rookie season. If an NHL player even puts a little pinky finger on him, he'll collapse to the ice and stay down for 5-minutes... quite literally.

He's listed as 6'-0" 194lb but that sounds too generous. He needs to bulk up to like 195-200 lb of solid matter with like 3% body fat or less. Then, and only then, can he handle the physical abuse of the NHL game.

You are correct on how he conserves his energy,

But he does not get checked often

I don't know why, but he just has knacks at not being checked

But when he does, he can protect himself

And he does not take 5 minutes literally to get up

And this is according to one game that i watched

I can feel that some flames fans won't like him,

But really, he is a special player, he can score, so let him be

I'm excited about this kid, Phaneuf is really the last guy in our system that came with a pretty good deal of hype surrounding him. I hope Backlund can live up to the hype in the NHL. I would like to see him start next year with the Flames!

AHL makess sense. WHL is obviously to easy for him, he wont grow as a player down there where he doesnt have to really try.

NHL is to big of a jump and he will be pushed down to line 3 or 4 for too long and will be just like Boyd, where he will still have potential but we may be waiting a while for it.

Rockets advance to the Memorial Cup after a Calgary goal is waived off in OT, and then they are given a penalty, which the Rockets score on.

We will now get a chance to see our last two first round selections head to head. Nemisz and the spitfires as well as Backlund and the Rockets.

I guess watching Nemisz v. Backlund will be just as entertaining as Calgary going to the Memorial.

Backlund with 2 assists tonight. :)