The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2008/2009 Prospect Statistic/Discussion Thread

Lance Bouma plugging away with 9 goals, 24 points and 112 PIMs. Does anyone have a scouting report? Why was he taken in the 3rd round? He seems like a smaller Ryley Grantham who was taken in the 6th round.

Lance Bouma plugging away with 9 goals, 24 points and 112 PIMs. Does anyone have a scouting report? Why was he taken in the 3rd round? He seems like a smaller Ryley Grantham who was taken in the 6th round.

Personally, I think he was a reach/bad pick. Bouma is the only guy the Flames drafted that I think they missed on.

That being said, he was ranked in that area. Bouma went there for a couple of reason.

He is a tireless worker and very strong/big frame for his age.

HIs defensive awareness is advanced for his age

He plays for Don Hay's Giants. Always a plus.

Bouma is a big tough kid, but not in the same sense Grantham is. Grantham isn't a very good skater and is really only an enforcer. He picks up points just by being bigger than everyone else and being next to impossible to move. Bouma is a pretty good skater who plays a more defensive role under Don Hay. He is more like an Eric Nystrom, and Grantham like a Roy. So while their numbers are different, their style of plays are quite different

Don Hay called Bouma a Holmstrom style player. I don't see it, but i've only seen Bouma playd 2 or 3 games.

Backlunds got 13 points in 13 games now, not bad for a guy who can barley speak english, in a new envirement..

BTW, i know in the NHL a point/game is a very good year, how does it work in the WHL? Cause i do remember some players (awhile back) getting like 90 points in 40 games or something... (I might be thinkning of the league Crosby played in though)... Whats a respectable total for Backlund to be putting up in this league?

Jeez, i wish he started the season in the WHL, defintly would be battling for MVP.

Backlunds got 13 points in 13 games now, not bad for a guy who can barley speak english, in a new envirement..

BTW, i know in the NHL a point/game is a very good year, how does it work in the WHL? Cause i do remember some players (awhile back) getting like 90 points in 40 games or something... (I might be thinkning of the league Crosby played in though)... Whats a respectable total for Backlund to be putting up in this league?

Jeez, i wish he started the season in the WHL, defintly would be battling for MVP.

Its overrated and overlookd. Really what points you put up in junior is irrelevant. Its the type of game you bring.

Case in point, Ryan Getzlaf (who is a consensus number 1 center in the NHL) had 1 season in the Dub where he was over a PPG. the rest he was under. Andrew Ladd I think actually has a better PPG avg than Getzlaf. Jamie lundmark put up over a PPG as did Brad Moran. Point total in junior is one of the worst indicators of success at the NHL level. If you look over the past WHL scoring leaders, its filled with guys that never played in the dub, or made an impact.

Its overrated and overlookd. Really what points you put up in junior is irrelevant. Its the type of game you bring.

Case in point, Ryan Getzlaf (who is a consensus number 1 center in the NHL) had 1 season in the Dub where he was over a PPG. the rest he was under. Andrew Ladd I think actually has a better PPG avg than Getzlaf. Jamie lundmark put up over a PPG as did Brad Moran. Point total in junior is one of the worst indicators of success at the NHL level. If you look over the past WHL scoring leaders, its filled with guys that never played in the dub, or made an impact.

Then how do you check their progress to know that they have a decent future ahead of themselves?

Then how do you check their progress to know that they have a decent future ahead of themselves?

Its difficult without actually watching them or hearing about how they are playing.

With a guy like Backlund, you defiently want to see him averging PPG or better, but again its how is he doing it. Jamie LUndmark was a guy that put up massive numbers, but he was mainloy the finisher while other did the work. That doesn't always translate very well. You also want him to consistantly improve as the season goes on and not just plateau.

In Backlund's case, i'd want to see a guy that can A) dominate a game, and B) create offence on his own. Getzlaf's number may not be super impressive i the Dub, but he created most of his own offence which is why you've seen his game translate very well to the NHL level. I've watched him play a few times, and he is not the type of player who gets to a PPg because of who he plays with. He is creating most of his own offence.

I was at the Giants - Bruins game on V-day, unfortunatley Bouma was a scratch. I haven't heard why. Would have enjoyed seeing him for the first time.

I'm also going to see Kelowna play in Chilliwack this Sunday, I'll try to keep an eye on Grantham and Backlund. Actually, I just want to see Backlund (and get an autograph). I'll update sometime Monday.

Well, I didn't get the autograph, but we had a good time. I put my scouting report on Backlund in that thread.

Ryley Grantham. Scored the games first goal, a dandy backhander coming out of the corner. Not always known for his scoring prowess, but showed it there on his 10th. No penalties, just a good game from him.

Calgary born players. Myers, great skater (for being so big), SH goal in the third, second star. I can see why he was a 12 overall pick last year. Gogol, 2 minors and 2 fighting majors. Almond, no points, plus-1 on Myers SH.

Thread hasn't been updated in a while.

QC Flames are unfortunately going to miss the playoffs again. However, they did see a number of young players have solid years which i think is helpfull. Obvious Greentree is of note. Chucko really broke out, althought in the 2nd half he cooled down considerably but I attest that to losing the top playmaker in Lundmark. Adam Cranknell put up solid points for an AHL rookie. Still think this guy is a darkhorse to play in the NHL. John Armstrong had a solid defensive season with some oK offensive numbers for an AHL rookie. Gord Baldwin was the guy I really wantd to point out. Baldwin had one of the highest plus minus ratings on the team as essentially a rookie as he only played a handfull of games last year.

However, probably the most impressive is Leland Irving. With so many begining to question him, he had what I would call a pretty amazing rookie season.

24 wins versus 18 losses.

2.23 GAA. Good enough for 4th in the league

91.2 Save %. Good enough for 23rd.

Very solid rookie season.

As far as Playoffs are concerend:

For Major Junior:

Greg Nemisz is over a PPG with the Spitfires leading their 2nd round series 3-2. Swept Owen Sound first round.

TJ Brodie also had over a PPG. Saginaw made it out of the first round but was swept by London (with Tavares)

As we known now, Negrin's swift Current Broncos didn't make it out of the first round. He had solid points, but was a -7 in the series.

Keith Aulie's Brandon Wheat Kings are moving on to face the Hitmen in the East final. Aulie has 6 points in 8 games and is a big +17 for the playoffs. Wheat Kings do score a ton of goals though.

Lance Bouma has had a solid playoffs. 8 points in 9 games and a pluf 5. However almost all of that was in the first round. I've watched most of the Spokane series and he's been a non factor.

Mitch Wahl has had a very solid playoffs too. 11 pts in 10 games, and has been one of Spokane's more noticable players against the Giants. Had a great game last night.

AS for the Rockets:

Backlund has missed some time in the playoff due to a knee problem. Has 5 points in 6 games. Was named first star last night, and when he plays, is easily the Rockets best forward.

Grantham has 3 points in 9 games, and is even a plus 1.

All Else:

Aaron Marvis had a breakout season for the St. Cloud Huskies as he more than doubled his point total. Unfortunately for St Cloud they didn't make it far in the playoffs getting beat by a very talented Minnisota team.

No other college player/ US player is currently playing. None of their seaons are really worth talking about.

Greg Nemisz has been shortlisted for Team Canada as per TSN

He is invited to the Summer camp, and IMO has a good shot at making it.

Scratch that orginal post. TJ Brodie has also been invited to the summer camp. Very excited to see this guy in on Team Canada's radar.

Here is a list of all players invited.

^^

Hard to say. I'd say pretty likely becuase he isn't a very good goalie.

But I also think they have 1 one more year to sign him, and NCAA players have to pay their own way to these develoment camps. So it could have been a case of him not being able to afford it.

Nick Larson wasn't there either, and he is still a part of the Flames organization.