Hockey_Canada1

Discussion & Debate Thread: Flames and Canucks

4,600 posts in this topic

With Torts in the coach's corner, I'd hope you are right.  That would be some sweet justice.  Nux fans blasting Flames fans for Feaster for the last 2 years.  Would be a sweet reward.

Realistically I hate the fact that Vancouver and Calgary will now most likely be competing for potential GM's. 

I can't believe anyone would give Feaster another chance.  Unless of course, the owners are looking for a puppet spin doctor. 

A few hours ago on the Team 1040:

Quote:

@blakeprice1040: Feaster on TSN Radio in Toronto saying he would relish the opportunity to work with Torts

That would be a TONNE of money to throw into a fire...

The only move that seems feasible is the Torts firing and then hopie he gets hired by another team this offseason...

(It's my understanding coaches who get fired, continue getting their salaries until they get another job... then the previous team is off the hook)

To my understanding, coaches (and GM's) don't actually get fired, They simply get asked to work from home without any contact with the team, you know, for work life balance and to reduce the teams carbon footprint from commuting. Technically the Nucks would have 2 head coaches in that situation, Torts job is to stay home. In order for another team to hire him he would have to be "released" from his contract by the nucks, at which point both parties tear up the contract (letting the owners off the hook for the $$$)

Technically, if the nucks fired torts and their was bad blood, They could refuse to let him take another job in any league that has an agreement in place (similarly to how Euro leagues release players). However I can't see a team doing that. first there is the money but more importantly, good luck getting a new coach who is any good if you are the team that stopped a coach from getting another chance.

I remember hearing that the Flames first year with Butter, they technically had three head coaches.

1 person likes this

I was just looking at the standings...

Vancouver - if they lose out and Calgary wins out... The Canucks would likely be sitting with the 5th pick overall.

Could you imagine that scenario?

Vancouver would have to lose to the Avs and Oilers... and then have the Flames out work them for 60 minutes..

Calgary would have beat LA and Wpg and then the Canucks.

Van just lost to the Avs a few games ago, lost to Edm last time out..

Calgary is 2-2 vs LA.. LA has lost 2 in a row, Cal @ home.

1-1 vs the Jets... and they suck lately.

Unfortunately Van always pounds the flames. So this scenario is highly unlikely. 

Unfortunately Van always pounds the flames. So this scenario is highly unlikely. 

Where there's smoke, there's fire...right?  :rolleyes:

A few hours ago on the Team 1040:

Quote:

@blakeprice1040: Feaster on TSN Radio in Toronto saying he would relish the opportunity to work with Torts

OMG that would be so awesome if Feaster went to Vancouver.  It would be a case of the coach choosing his GM, reverse order of what it should be.  Trade Kesler for Brad Richards too.

Well...this just happened:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=713673&navid=DL|NHL|home

Canucks name Linden president of hockey operations

Trevor Linden has been named president of hockey operations of the Vancouver Canucks, the team announced Wednesday.

"I'm passionate about the Canucks and I want to win, just like our fans," Linden said. "I believe in this team and share the organization's commitment to excellence on and off of the ice. I am looking forward to getting started, getting to know everyone in the organization, and working together to win the Stanley Cup for this great city and province."

In his role, Linden will be responsible for all hockey operations, including the coaching and scouting staffs, player procurement and development, and minor league affiliations and operations.

He replaces Mike Gillis, who was fired from his role as general manager and president Tuesday.

"It's my honor to officially welcome Trevor Linden home in his new role as President of Hockey Operations for the Canucks," team chairman Francesco Aquilini said. "We believe in Trevor's leadership abilities. His 20 years of NHL experience, including seven as team captain, his role as NHLPA President, community leader and businessman offers a very special skill set, one that will positively shape the direction of this club in the future."

Taken by the Canucks with the second pick of the 1988 NHL Draft, Linden is the franchise's all-time leader in games played with 1,140. His 318 goals ranks second to Markus Naslund and his 733 points are fourth. He spent 16 of his 19 NHL seasons with the Canucks, including seven seasons as captain.

Linden had six 30-goal seasons with the Canucks, but his best moment came in the 1994 Stanley Cup Playoffs. He had 12 goals and 25 points in 24 games to lead the Canucks to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final against the New York Rangers. Linden scored both Canucks goals in Game 7, but his team lost 3-2.

He also played for the New York Islanders and Montreal Canadiens, but admitted his heart always has remained in Vancouver.

"Today is a real honor," said Linden. "I came to Vancouver 26 years ago and I have never left. I love this city. It is my home and the Canucks have always been part of my family."

1d1bda85e855d70f6a9e7062ba2f8709.gif

An update to that pic....

reset2.gif

Wow does Linden have any exec experience whatsoever? Will this play out like Pat Lafontaine in Buffalo?

It definitely could.

Or maybe like Sakic... or Neely... or Stevy Y.

Linden's a lifer Canuck. Don't think Lafontaine was as tied to Sabre ownership or the city as Linden is to the Aquilini family or the city of Vancouver. Not close actually. He'll be here for awhile.

I was upset about the direction the franchise took because i felt Gillis was capable of righting the ship... but I'm optimistic that this new organizational structure will be beneficial where the President of hockey ops will be separate from the GM..

In terms of exec experience... just 15 yrs with the PA (leading the coup to topple Goodenow) and his private businesses.

Gillis was an agent before he got the gig, so his scouting talents were strong, but otherwise also a rookie in the ops department. Linden will be hiring the main guy responsible for the areas he has no experience with...

I could see a scenario where Gilman get promoted to GM and Gulutzan promoted to head coach...

both good smart people. Gilman with a boatload of experience, and extremely knowledge of the state of Canuck hockey already.

Linden's a lifer Canuck. Don't think Lafontaine was as tied to Sabre ownership or the city as Linden is to the Aquilini family or the city of Vancouver. Not close actually. He'll be here for awhile.

Well, for what it's worth, i hope it goes bad and Aquilini is too close to Linden personally to fire him.

givers.gif

Well, for what it's worth, i hope it goes bad and Aquilini is too close to Linden personally to fire him.

givers.gif

I think the more appropriate picture to explain the scenario that that Canuck fans need to be weary of that you've presented in your post would be: 

kevin_lowe_deal_with_it.jpg

I think the more appropriate picture to explain the scenario that that Canuck fans need to be weary of that you've presented in your post would be: 

kevin_lowe_deal_with_it.jpg

Some things in life just don't make sense.  Like for example, why is there always a construction sign on Glenmore Trail at the Blackfoot Trail overpass when there's never anyone working on the overpass? Why? Why? Why?!

Australia.jpg

Holy tank job Batman.  Canucks look like a bunch of couch laden sacks of fat the way they are playing.  I don't buy it that they've all of the sudden turned the corner and are this bad.  Players need to be fired before Torts.

da2cd06339192418dba09d8291729c3c.png

Did anyone else see Torts' post-game interview? I bet he lays awake at night thinking about how much he hates Bob Hartley. Probably has a Bob Hartley dart board in his rec room that he calls Bob Dartley.

1 person likes this

Did anyone else see Torts' post-game interview? I bet he lays awake at night thinking about how much he hates Bob Hartley. Probably has a Bob Hartley dart board in his rec room that he calls Bob Dartley.

Nice one.

So the Canucks will either have the 6th, 7th or 1st pick.

8.3% chance of 6th

15.5% chance of 7th

6.2% chance of 1st.

Calgary with possibilities of 4th, 5th or 1st:

59.5 chance of 4th

29.8% chance of 5th

10.7% chance of 1st

* numbers are a little skewed since if Jersey wins the lottery with their 1.5%, they forfeit.. and Buffalo gets the pick. So Buffalo's chances of winning the lottery are actually 26.5%, not 25%:

73.5% chance at 2nd

26.5% chance at 1st

Holy tank job Batman.  Canucks look like a bunch of couch laden sacks of fat the way they are playing.  I don't buy it that they've all of the sudden turned the corner and are this bad.  Players need to be fired before Torts.

da2cd06339192418dba09d8291729c3c.png

I love this!  :lol:

Says the fan of the supposed hardest working team in the league laying a complete fricken egg to secure the 4th pick.

At least pretend.

Any updates on Daniel Sedin? It was a bad hit but maybe a 2-minute penalty at most.  I don't think it's a 5-minutes plus game misconduct and if any suspension comes of it, that's just too much.

Any updates on Daniel Sedin? It was a bad hit but maybe a 2-minute penalty at most.  I don't think it's a 5-minutes plus game misconduct and if any suspension comes of it, that's just too much.

He was released from the hospital and is fine...   http://video.canucks.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=6&id=603937〈=en&navid=DL|VAN|home

D Sedin saw the hit coming and chose to play the puck and ignore the hit...   I think he saw a 5'7" player coming at him and figured he could turn his back and take the hit and maybe draw a penalty...   It was a bad decision on his part...

As much as I despise the Sedin's, I am glad he is alright, but even as kids, we were all taught not to turn your back when you are against the boards when you know a hit is coming unless you get can your hands up in time to protect yourself and brace for it...