The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Hockey_Canada1

Discussion & Debate Thread: Flames and Canucks

If Canucks get to chose, then who would they want to play in the first round?

Calgary, Dallas, LA Kings, or Colorado?

In order of ease...

Col, Dal, Cal, LA.

That would be the easiest sequence based primarily on goaltending.

What I want to see in order...

Cal, LA, Col, Dal...

Duh... Cal series all the way! Passionate and intense...

And winner gets a pass to the finals right? Is that still happening in this decade as well?

Kipper and Quick are dangerous goalies to run into when hot... But so is ours...

So many weaknesses in those rosters.

My order may change after Mon and seeing how teams play down the stretch...(except the desire to see Cal-Van.. that's a lock for #1)

Ie. We yet to play Dal this yr.. so 4 more vs them. If we continue dominance over them like last yr... They jump to #1 in terms of ease. We won all 4 last yr, out scoring them 20-5.

Unfortunately I think the impression to non-Canuck fans is a team show-boating.

Both Luo and Burrows. Vancouver has its fans and a good team but they will never have the class the Red Wings have or the respect the Red Wings have from all hockey fans.

If the Canucks can not this year or in coming years win the Cup while they are in their window, it may just be that attitude that you seem to applaud DL44.

Quiet confidence is always superior to show boating arrogance.

Jimmy Howard: "They are a bunch of idiots over there"

Real classy.

And honestly I couldn't care less what other fans perception is anymore. There was a time where I did. Not any more. The Canucks have gotten a bad rep and now not only will it be impossible to shake it, every thing they do will be looked at with scrutiny. No matter how insignificant (like how they celebrate a big win).

Jimmy Howard: "They are a bunch of idiots over there"

Real classy.

And honestly I couldn't care less what other fans perception is anymore. There was a time where I did. Not any more. The Canucks have gotten a bad rep and now not only will it be impossible to shake it, every thing they do will be looked at with scrutiny. No matter how insignificant (like how they celebrate a big win).

It was in response. Someone always has to drop the shoe first. The Canucks did with Burrows and Luo, I don't blame Howard for his response at all.

The Red Wings are the most highly respected franchise in the NHL from top to bottom. Fair comment? So why rub in a win in their face of all teams. The Bruins given last year I would understand better.

And as far as the Nucks rep changing, I can honestly state that from the games I have watched this year the diving really has lessened in my eye so I for one was warming up to the point I wouldn't have a fit if the Canucks won the Cup.

They are a legitimately good team after all.

Canuck fans on many boards had backed off in harsh troll tone, given the embarrassing riots. All in all the reputation was on the way up on both fronts.

Now this again? It is just being at the top and being humble about it. It isn't that complicated, really it isn't.

It was in response. Someone always has to drop the shoe first. The Canucks did with Burrows and Luo, I don't blame Howard for his response at all.

The Red Wings are the most highly respected franchise in the NHL from top to bottom. Fair comment? So why rub in a win in their face of all teams. The Bruins given last year I would understand better.

And as far as the Nucks rep changing, I can honestly state that from the games I have watched this year the diving really has lessened in my eye so I for one was warming up to the point I wouldn't have a fit if the Canucks won the Cup.

They are a legitimately good team after all.

Canuck fans on many boards had backed off in harsh troll tone, given the embarrassing riots. All in all the reputation was on the way up on both fronts.

Now this again? It is just being at the top and being humble about it. It isn't that complicated, really it isn't.

So celebrating = rubbing it in. Gotcha.

The Stars really "rubbed it in" against the Canucks this afternoon after the OT winner. Wonder if Luongo will call them "a bunch of idiots". Seems like a reasonable response.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

Cody Hodgson & Alex Sulzer to BUF

for...

Zach Kassian & M-A Gragnani

I like it... but maybe i'm putting too much on Gragnani who will be 25 and has just 50-some NHL gms. But he jumped up and made me take notice during last yr's playoffs.

Pahlsson - did not like the pick up... but for 2 4ths a solid addition. But i'm not one to completely ignore the last 2 yrs of perceived suckiness as a write-off due to the teams he's been on.

We all saw what he was capable of in his prime tho... if he's got some of that that can be re-vitalized by being on a competitor now - great. Won't hold my breath.

Back to the monster deal.. Out with Hodgson, in with Kassian. A big risk but i like the package that is Zach Kassian. Big, strong, mean player that can legitimately play.

Long term - who hell knows... Gragnani could be the tipping point.

What will we miss with Hodgson. Man. 40ish point rookie season. Tonne of potential. Shifty as hell with top level hands, a hell of shot, and a fantastic clutch factor for such a young guy. I will miss him and be cheering for him to succeed.

But not as much as i will be cheering for Kassian and Gragnani.

Cody Hodgson & Alex Sulzer to BUF

for...

Zach Kassian & M-A Gragnani

I like it... but maybe i'm putting too much on Gragnani who will be 25 and has just 50-some NHL gms. But he jumped up and made me take notice during last yr's playoffs.

Pahlsson - did not like the pick up... but for 2 4ths a solid addition. But i'm not one to completely ignore the last 2 yrs of perceived suckiness as a write-off due to the teams he's been on.

We all saw what he was capable of in his prime tho... if he's got some of that that can be re-vitalized by being on a competitor now - great. Won't hold my breath.

Back to the monster deal.. Out with Hodgson, in with Kassian. A big risk but i like the package that is Zach Kassian. Big, strong, mean player that can legitimately play.

Long term - who hell knows... Gragnani could be the tipping point.

What will we miss with Hodgson. Man. 40ish point rookie season. Tonne of potential. Shifty as hell with top level hands, a hell of shot, and a fantastic clutch factor for such a young guy. I will miss him and be cheering for him to succeed.

But not as much as i will be cheering for Kassian and Gragnani.

Gragnani has some offensive potential but he's really soft defensively and unsound positionally. He's a 6th Dman who, in my opinion, isn't better than any other Canucks D on the PP. He had a flukey playoff performance last season and i guess the Canucks are hoping lightning will strike twice.

I like Kassian for Hodgson for the Canucks because Kassian brings intangibles that the Canucks are missing. Hodgson might someday score point-per-game but Kassian brings the beef, willingness to crash the net, and play dirty. Already with Sedin and Kesler at Center, I think Kassian is a better fit. Plus, Hodgson is a pretty soft player.

Gragnani has some offensive potential but he's really soft defensively and unsound positionally. He's a 6th Dman who, in my opinion, isn't better than any other Canucks D on the PP. He had a flukey playoff performance last season and i guess the Canucks are hoping lightning will strike twice.

I like Kassian for Hodgson for the Canucks because Kassian brings intangibles that the Canucks are missing. Hodgson might someday score point-per-game but Kassian brings the beef, willingness to crash the net, and play dirty. Already with Sedin and Kesler at Center, I think Kassian is a better fit. Plus, Hodgson is a pretty soft player.

agreed.

Overall (with the Pahlsson addition)... the canucks are deeper and better positioned for a playoff run this yr. Long term, we'll see.

I'm also glad Hodgson appears primed to jump into a top 6 center role right away in Buffalo.

He was going to be hard pressed to earn 16-17 mins/ night here with Sedin-Kesler ahead of him for the next 4-5 yrs... and he's just not big or strong enough to play the wing.

Will Kassian be our Milan Lucic in the coming yrs? (high end expectation)

If so.. big win Vancouver.

=============================

What's the Flames story today?

No moves? Has Feaster commented yet?

=============================

What's the Flames story today?

No moves? Has Feaster commented yet?

No moves. Held press conference already. Said Jokinen was never in play. Didn't feel moving his other UFAs were worth the picks he was being offered. Still feels Moss, Jones, and other returning injured players are going to be the Flames deadline deal reinforcements.

Meh, he was between a rock and a hard place. Flames SHOULD rebuild but based on the standings, emotions overpower logical because we're so close to a playoff spot.

No moves. Held press conference already. Said Jokinen was never in play. Didn't feel moving his other UFAs were worth the picks he was being offered. Still feels Moss, Jones, and other returning injured players are going to be the Flames deadline deal reinforcements.

Meh, he was between a rock and a hard place. Flames SHOULD rebuild but based on the standings, emotions overpower logical because we're so close to a playoff spot.

So.. basically if the Flames miss this yr... it will be shame on him.

Either way, Flames were in for an overhaul this coming off-season. I think remaining in the playoff race seemed the most logical route. I just don't see how selling off for 3rds and 4ths and other scraps were going to be on any benefit the next few yrs... relative to making the playoffs this yr.

So.. basically if the Flames miss this yr... it will be shame on him.

Either way, Flames were in for an overhaul this coming off-season. I think remaining in the playoff race seemed the most logical route. I just don't see how selling off for 3rds and 4ths and other scraps were going to be on any benefit the next few yrs... relative to making the playoffs this yr.

He spoke last week on the issue of the Flames making late season runs for the playoffs and falling short, "fool him once shame on them, fool me twice, shame on me." So, yea, definitely shame on him. He had some assets to move but decided to hang onto them to make a run for the playoffs.

He spoke last week on the issue of the Flames making late season runs for the playoffs and falling short, "fool him once shame on them, fool me twice, shame on me." So, yea, definitely shame on him. He had some assets to move but decided to hang onto them to make a run for the playoffs.

Well lets hope you make the playoffs.

2 years in a row now that the Flames could have sold some UFAs for picks but management wants to roll the dice.

I can see why you and other fans are pissed.

Kassian is going to be a great player and great fit, as soon as next season, but more likely 1-2 seasons from now.

Hodgson was playing GREAT hockey for the Canucks. I am completely pissed off at this move and I think people are under-estimating both how important Hodgson was to the team and how big he was going to be for us in the playoffs.

Kassian is going to be a great player and great fit, as soon as next season, but more likely 1-2 seasons from now.

Hodgson was playing GREAT hockey for the Canucks. I am completely pissed off at this move and I think people are under-estimating both how important Hodgson was to the team and how big he was going to be for us in the playoffs.

I guess you would count as one of those under-estimating Hodgson potential contribution this season.

I will miss his timely goals and hope he absolutely flourishes in Buffalo. But i had my doubts on how he would work as the 3rd line center for the Canucks in the playoffs this yr. That 3rd line would of been doomed to 11-12 mins max per night in the playoffs. The grind on the top 2 lines would of caught up to em.

He wasn't battle ready. He's been ineffective in the tougher games this season - till he scored. the clutch factor was strong in the kid - big goals in big games.. but make no mistake... he and his lines were absolutely ineffective and shut down for those games.

I think it's win-win-win situation for all involved right now... and a true winner won't known for yrs yet.

I guess you would count as one of those under-estimating Hodgson potential contribution this season.

I will miss his timely goals and hope he absolutely flourishes in Buffalo. But i had my doubts on how he would work as the 3rd line center for the Canucks in the playoffs this yr. That 3rd line would of been doomed to 11-12 mins max per night in the playoffs. The grind on the top 2 lines would of caught up to em.

He wasn't battle ready. He's been ineffective in the tougher games this season - till he scored. the clutch factor was strong in the kid - big goals in big games.. but make no mistake... he and his lines were absolutely ineffective and shut down for those games.

I think it's win-win-win situation for all involved right now... and a true winner won't known for yrs yet.

What if Kassian can't cut it at the NHL level right now?

Trust me Don, He has more than enough of a skill set to play in the NHL. He just need to work on his play without the puck and it's not really the defensive side but more on his positional play.

He loves to hit but sometimes it gets him in trouble. He is alot closer to being NHL ready than alot of Canuck fans are giving him credit for.

I too was not happy to hear that Hodgson was traded but when I found out it was for Kassian, I simply could not believe it - I'm pretty sure we got a Lucic type player with potentially a higher up swing.

I just can't wait to get him in our line up, Surrounded by the type of players we have and not that dysfunctional group in Buffalo.

Look, Gillis is not stupid! and I think we all know it was going to take a special player to get Hodgson out of our organization and I think we got him.

Trust me Don, He has more than enough of a skill set to play in the NHL. He just need to work on his play without the puck and it's not really the defensive side but more on his positional play.

He loves to hit but sometimes it gets him in trouble. He is alot closer to being NHL ready than alot of Canuck fans are giving him credit for.

I too was not happy to hear that Hodgson was traded but when I found out it was for Kassian, I simply could not believe it - I'm pretty sure we got a Lucic type player with potentially a higher up swing.

I just can't wait to get him in our line up, Surrounded by the type of players we have and not that dysfunctional group in Buffalo.

Look, Gillis is not stupid! and I think we all know it was going to take a special player to get Hodgson out of our organization and I think we got him.

I know what kind of player Kassian is. But if he can't crack the Sabres line-up full-time....

Then not a good trade when you have a guy that can play 10 mins a night in the playoffs in Hodgson.

That's to be determined still. And I have the belief he can.

But here's the thing... The Canucks are in a position to be able to gamble on that since.. like I said.. I think Hodgson's potential effectiveness for this yr's playoff is limited.

Then not a good trade when you have a guy that can play 10 mins a night in the playoffs in Hodgson.

But here's the thing... The Canucks are in a position to be able to gamble on that since.. like I said.. I think Hodgson's potential effectiveness for this yr's playoff is limited.

I highly disagree.

Have to agree 100%

I highly disagree.

Nah...Your just still pissed they traded Hodgson. :lol:

Though, would liked to have see Gillis work on the D a little better.

What do you guys think?

Horrible trade by Canucks.

If they were going to trade Hodgson, they should have gotten someone more proven.

Kassian may or may not end being an NHLer. If he can't make the Sabres, why would be some key ingredient for the Canucks.

This was a delayed knee jerk reaction from last year's playoffs.

If they were going to trade Hodgson, they should have gotten someone more proven.

Kassian may or may not end being an NHLer. If he can't make the Sabres, why would be some key ingredient for the Canucks.

I disagree with you on one point. Kassian will be an NHL player. I'm just not convinced he will contribute much to a Canucks SC run this season. That is why I'm angry. I am excited for what Kassian can bring down the road though. This is his first pro-season remember. He is in the same position Cody was last season.

He's born in Jan of 1991.

6'3+, 230lbs and can skate and has hands. Oh he'll be an NHLer. But like Don said, his level of contribution This Yr is the question.

What makes me OK with the trade , like I said.. Hodgson contribution to any sort of playoff run this yr is limited and being overrated by many. Down the road... We'll see.