The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Hockey_Canada1

Discussion & Debate Thread: Flames and Canucks

Horrible trade by Canucks.

If they were going to trade Hodgson, they should have gotten someone more proven.

Kassian may or may not end being an NHLer. If he can't make the Sabres, why would be some key ingredient for the Canucks.

This was a delayed knee jerk reaction from last year's playoffs.

Hows RNH's shoulder? Kassian can fix that if he asks politely.

Oh, and tell Hall to keep his head up when skating down Kassian's wing too :P

So celebrating = rubbing it in. Gotcha.

The Stars really "rubbed it in" against the Canucks this afternoon after the OT winner. Wonder if Luongo will call them "a bunch of idiots". Seems like a reasonable response.

Underdogs celebrate, elite teams don't unless they just won the Cup. It isn't complicated.

Who expected the Stars to beat the Canucks, the Stars are driving for the playoffs. They are just another bubble team like the Flames. You think they are not pumped to beat the Canucks, a top 5 elite team this year?

What is the big deal about the Canucks win over the Wings, oh right, ending the Wings streak… Save the celebration for the room, don't need to show boat it as an elite team in their barn.

This is how it works… Humility when you are at the top.

• Like 2
  • Angry 2

Underdogs celebrate, elite teams don't unless they just won the Cup. It isn't complicated.

Who expected the Stars to beat the Canucks, the Stars are driving for the playoffs. They are just another bubble team like the Flames. You think they are not pumped to beat the Canucks, a top 5 elite team this year?

What is the big deal about the Canucks win over the Wings, oh right, ending the Wings streak… Save the celebration for the room, don't need to show boat it as an elite team.

I don't care one iota about that any more.

WE TRADED HODGSON!!!!! :(

Interesting sidenote, Gragnani won the Eddie Shore award last year. Some notable previous winners:- Brookbank, Kronwall, Hutchinson, Boychuk

The more I read up on this guy the better I like him.

It's almost like he has got'n lost in this trade because of the shock of Hodgson being traded.

He's an upgrade over Sulzer but not by much.

The more I read up on this guy the better I like him.

It's almost like he has got'n lost in this trade because of the shock of Hodgson being traded.

He's an upgrade over Sulzer but not by much.

I'd hope he's better than the number 9 (8 with Ballard out) defenceman on our depth chart.

Hows RNH's shoulder? Kassian can fix that if he asks politely.

Oh, and tell Hall to keep his head up when skating down Kassian's wing too :P

All I need to do is warn the Oilers AHL team.

I disagree with you on one point. Kassian will be an NHL player. I'm just not convinced he will contribute much to a Canucks SC run this season. That is why I'm angry. I am excited for what Kassian can bring down the road though. This is his first pro-season remember. He is in the same position Cody was last season.

He probably will become an NHler, I'm just saying he's no shoe in yet.

What is the big deal about the Canucks win over the Wings, oh right, ending the Wings streak… Save the celebration for the room, don't need to show boat it as an elite team.

your logic is flawed... or not flawed, but being applied hypocritically big time.

What have the canucks won? hint-nothing...

How many cups have the wings won?

which organization do you consider to best run one in league?

which team was #1 in the league at the time of the game?

what team in the league is the organization of the canucks trying to emulate as stated by the GM?

What team was on 23 game home winning streak?

Soooooo which team was the underdog here?

troll attempt is obvious. well done.

here.. let me troll you now-

Feaster has been fooled again. shame on him and shame on you for being a bad poster regarding anything canuck. decent otherwise... but waay too emotional and passionate in your hate to have a reasonable canuck related conversation.

• Like 1

He probably will become an NHler, I'm just saying he's no shoe in yet.

Technically true for any player not a full-time NHLer so that post was kinda unnecessary.

I'd hope he's better than the number 9 (8 with Ballard out) defenceman on our depth chart.

Yep. He's #7 now with Ballard out.(maybe #6)

got him listed @ 6'2, 201 lbs. last year played 63 games for Portland (AHL) 12 g, 48 a for 60 pts. & 51 pim. Draft 87th overall in 05

AV coached him before and has played with Lapierre. looks like he broke a few records in the minors and is a +10 for Buffalo this year.

Mikey Likey! ;)

Holy crap! just checked the sched. and we only got 5 games left on the road. :lol:

This Sat. we play Buffalo @ Connor, circle Sat. Apr. 7th cuz thats the day you get to play with Mr. Kassian :D

• Like 1

Holy crap! just checked the sched. and we only got 5 games left on the road. :lol:

This Sat. we play Buffalo @ Connor, circle Sat. Apr. 7th cuz thats the day you get to play with Mr. Kassian :D

I don't watch AHL games.

I don't watch AHL games.

But i thought you were an Oilers fan?

• Like 2

I don't care one iota about that any more.

WE TRADED HODGSON!!!!! :(

yeah - that sucks for you. This will probably be remembered as one of those trade deadline drunk dialing moves in the long run. I don't get it either but whatever.

The push is clearly on again.

If it makes you feel better the Flames traded a young Brett Hull for Rob Ramage and Rick Wamsley but they also won the Cup. Winning the Cup will make everything that has been done tolerable… Of course if you don't win the Cup this year or next or maybe year after that the window will be slowly closing…

:o

What if Kassian can't cut it at the NHL level right now?

I think Kassian was a good pick up.

Hodgson is skilled for sure, but he only brings more of a skillset that the Canucks have in spades, and better on other lines.

Kassian brings a different dimension to the Canucks, there was no room for him in Buffalo, because they need more pure skill (like Hodgson.) Kassian is big, strong, he hits hard and competes, without taking many stupid penalties.

I'd be very surprised if he isn't a impact player for you guys in the playoffs.

Hodgson is skilled for sure, but he only brings more of a skillset that the Canucks have in spades, and better on other lines.

Kassian brings a different dimension to the Canucks, there was no room for him in Buffalo, because they need more pure skill (like Hodgson.) Kassian is big, strong, he hits hard and competes, without taking many stupid penalties.

It was a lateral trade for both Buffalo and Vancouver. A bottom 6 forward for a bottom 6 forward. I'm more happy that the Flames stayed idle with all the draft picks being gifted like Candies to kids on halloween.

The one team that looks even more dangerous in the playoffs this year will be the Predators. They have one of the most balanced scoring teams in the NHL.

The speculated lines for today's game...

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Raymond - Kesler - Booth

Higgens - Pahlsson - Hansen

Lapierre - Malhotra - Kassian

Pretty damn good faceoff line up right there.

I would like to see Malhotra and Pahlsson playing together... no need to spread out the 2 offensive black holes... and together on paper have crazy shut down ability all the while being backed by Hamhius-Bieksa.. sounds like great fun to play against.

I would go with a bottom 6 of:

Higgens - Lapierre - Kassian - speed, D, tenacious, and physical (but weak on faceoffs)

Malhotra - Pahlsson - Hansen - pure veteran shut down line - black hole of offense tho.

Hansen/Kassian - interchangeable right now , roles to be hammered out over the final 19.

I like. Can't wait till 'Playoff Lapierre' arrives.

Pretty well what I think.

Hodgson is the most skilled player but wouldn't have much chance to crack the top 6 for a few years. Kassian brings something they lacked & with him & Pahlsson I see the Canucks as a more rounded team which gives them a better chance of taking home the prize.

Honest question for Canuck fans

Excluding Cap factors - who would you rather have Edler or Jbo ?

Pretend they have identical contracts in cost / term etc...

Edler because of his offensive production. Superior vision and offensive IQ. Also for the physical edge he brings.. just watched Edler pinch down and crush a yotes player Kronwall style except not with his arse (a quality JBo just does not have)... Physically dominating in the the last 2 playoffs. Owned LA and last year's Chicago series. Faded a bit due to wearing down - something JBo exceeds at.

Those are a few qualities he exceeds at over JBo....

Oh.. and now he just scored against the Yotes..

Both are versatile, and used in every situation for their teams.. both are capable of massive minutes... JBo does that with a lot more consistency.. outta team need.

Edler shares facing shut down dutiies with Hamhuis-Bieksa being the prime guys for that situation..

JBo is the present Iron man... no small feat! Especially for someone who chews up as many mins as he does. remarkable actually.

But here's the kicker... JBo is pretty much whatyouseeiswhatyouget...

Edler hasn't reached his ceiling yet. I believe he has a few Top 5 Norris seasons in him before his career is over.

JBo honestly probably still has some potential if he could ever play on an elite level team.. The Best dmen on the best teams get a lot more consideration.

Edler by a mile. It's not even close.

Bouwmeester isn't not being considered in the Norris discussion because of his contract.

I'm surprised they didn't merge the Canucks thread with the diving thread yet.

I told you Edler was the best defenceman in the North West division.

I'm surprised they didn't merge the Canucks thread with the diving thread yet.

I told you Edler was the best defenceman in the North West division.

LOL at the bolded.

Sad part is, Bouwmeester might be #2 in the division.

Edler by a mile. It's not even close.

Bouwmeester isn't not being considered in the Norris discussion because of his contract.

I wouldn't say its because of the contract.. its simply he's been on non-playoff teams as well as the last 2 yrs he's dropped significantly in the offensive production department...

Any D seriously considered for Norris is strong at both ends... and JBo has the production of one demensional dmen, which he doesn't seem to be.

What's the description for JBo... All the tools, no toolbox?

I wouldn't say its because of the contract.. its simply he's been on non-playoff teams as well as the last 2 yrs he's dropped significantly in the offensive production department...

Any D seriously considered for Norris is strong at both ends... and JBo has the production of one demensional dmen, which he doesn't seem to be.

What's the description for JBo... All the tools, no toolbox?

That's my point. Bouwmeester's contract has nothing to do with him being way behind Edler. I used the Norris discussion as my evidence.