The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Hockey_Canada1

Discussion & Debate Thread: Flames and Canucks

Feel free to zip on over to capgeek and check for yourself, I went through the top 12 highest cap teams in the league, and not one of them had as many players becoming UFA next year as Vancouver does.

So that is not the status of every club in the league, and if it were obvious you would have made note of it earlier.

No I was not trying to paint their situation as dire because of this signing, I was painting it as potentially dire because they have lots of players to sign next season. Do you get it yet?

No i get it.

Let's just point you back to my original response where i show how the Canucks potentially would be sitting...i.e. not as dire as you you think it is. But i see you ignored it so you could continue to wish/pretend they will be..

But capgeek says, but capgeek says!..

All you have to do is realize that capgeek doesn't take into account prospects or AHL players that are signed next yr.

Or if you took a min longer of a look, the only regulars to be UFA's will be Higgens, Lappy, Manny and Raymond- FOUR.

Canucks are sitting pretty.

No i get it.

Let's just point you back to my original response where i show how the Canucks potentially would be sitting...i.e. not as dire as you you think it is. But i see you ignored it so you could continue to wish/pretend they will be..

But capgeek says, but capgeek says!..

All you have to do is realize that capgeek doesn't take into account prospects or AHL players that are signed next yr.

Or if you took a min longer of a look, the only regulars to be UFA's will be Higgens, Lappy, Manny and Raymond- FOUR.

Canucks are sitting pretty.

Seriously man, what's with the hate? Not everything has to end in a heated debate you know. Capgeek is not some random fans blog, it is right down to the actual numbers real facts that YOU cannot hide from. I read your post, I understood your analysis. I get that you think signing 14 guys is great and you feel they will easily be able to complete their roster next year while remaining under the cap. They likely will, I never argued against that point. My argument was that they will be making lots of changes in order to complete that roster and remain under the cap. In all likelihood, many of those remaining 9 UFA's and 2 RFA's will not be there next season. More often than not, a UFA player who is re-signing with their team signs for more money, not less (I know it isn't always the case, but it happens more often than not). If they are not able to at the very least sign for the same or higher contract amount they look for work elsewhere. Therefore, in order to remain under a cap that will be going down considerably, Vancouver will likely be faced with letting a handful of UFA's walk while trying to find others to fill those spots. It isn't rocket science DL44, teams change and many times are forced by the cap, CBA, and contracts to change.

Cory is pulled after 5 goals on 27 minutes. Man, if luo had gotten traded before tonight could you imagine how much angst Vanfans would be experiencing right now?

The 3rd period would be a good time for the Canucks to show some sack...They really need to man up and respond...Getting embarrassed at home after a labour dispute is unacceptable...Oh well, they have the most embarrassing fan base in sports so I guess maybe it is deserved...

Cory is pulled after 5 goals on 27 minutes. Man, if luo had gotten traded before tonight could you imagine how much angst Vanfans would be experiencing right now?

...aaannnd Schneider gets lit up for 5 and replaced after 26 minutes after 2 in 11 seconds. This IS gonna be a fun season!

5 goals in 14 shots... :unsure:

Ouch...:lol:

.......at least they think they have an excuse as Kesler & Booth are both on IR :rolleyes:

The transition of Schneider originally begging for starts to being giving the No.1 before the 2013 season could potentially have psychological implications on a backup goaltender's mind.

The kind of implications that result in a 0.643 SV% (9/14). :lol:

Goaltending aside I don't think the Canucks have the depth to do anything this year. They will be lucky to make the playoffs IMO although everyone has them near the top of rankings.

Teams know how to play them now - their D got exposed pretty badly last night.

I just pray that Hartley knows how to play them because Sutter's passive style played right into their hands - it was so painful and so embarrassing to watch. Hopefully things will be different this year and the rivalry will be back

That's what they get starting their backup.

Lots of pot shots thrown around early here... Love the line'flames can't possibly play worse' .... Heh heh..

apparently Edler has signed an extension

6 yrs $30M $5M cap hit

good deal for the Nucks

Good deal for the Canucks. Edler is worth it.

One thing is for sure, Calgary will not play this bad tomorrow! Way to go Casucks!

It's a bit early folks. Remember what they say about glass houses.

I'll love to rib DL & Don when the time comes but so far the Flames haven't done anything to merit it.

That's what they get starting their backup.

Lots of pot shots thrown around early here... Love the line'flames can't possibly play worse' .... Heh heh..

I will say this at least once this season; may the 'Nucks beat the diapers off the Oily kids on Sinday! ;)

Welp. Seasons over. Can't possibly come back from losing the first two games.

It'll be an interesting playoffs without the likes of Vancouver, Philadelphia, NY Rangers, Detroit and Los Angeles.

One thing is for sure, Calgary will not play this bad tomorrow! Way to go Casucks!

Did they?

Serious question. Saw the score, but haven't seen any highlights yet.

Welp. Seasons over. Can't possibly come back from losing the first two games.

It'll be an interesting playoffs without the likes of Vancouver, Philadelphia, NY Rangers, Detroit and Los Angeles.

& TML, CBJ & the Oilers are undefeated. It looks like the balance of power is shifting.

:lol:

Halfway into the game, i was actually cheering for Lou to get a SO just to create even more goalie controversy in Vancouver moving forward. But alas, Lou was Lou and he lost the game. No more goalie controversy. Schneider will get the start next game and Lou is still on the trade block.

My take on the Oilers-Canucks game....

The Oilers looked great on the PP. A couple cross crease pass setups with ease... could of been tap-ins if the passes were better... that will come.

Schultz is cool as a cucumber with the puck. It got him in trouble a few times, but solving that issue as the season moves along is easier than learning to relax and not panic with the puck for a young guy. Was overwhelmed on a handful of shifts when pinned by the Sedins... but what else did anyone expect from a rookie facing the Sedins. Looked great as the top of the umbrella on the PP... and in the offensive zone in general.

Yakapov - 1st pro game. Played like it was his 1st pro game. Nothing to read into his play more than that. He'll find his groove.

Canucks on the PP let them down this game... the puck wouldn't bounce right on the rebounds this game. They looked good overall, but the fact they couldn't capitalize to put the game away cost em. Another night a couple of those pucks bounce to a stick and in... not last night.

Kassian - fantastic game... now he has to string a few of those games together and we have a beast of 2nd line power forward. Was used as the Sedin winger after a PK (a role Booth usually plays), and cashed in.

Vancouver's 2nd line issue is a concern, and AV had to break Burrows from the top line to give some balance. We'll see how it plays out going forward.

Luongo looked great for his 1st game of the yr. He woulda liked to have the Hemsky goal back which slipped thru the 6 hole on him, but had a good game and will only get better.. as per usual.

Edler - looks like a #1... but also got caught flat footed a couple of times turning him into a pylon. He's gonna have a Huge year me thinks.

Sedins were able to go Sedin at times... highlight reel assist by Daniel... Gotta feel great about where these guys are at already..

Overall, canucks looked much better than night 1... I'm seeing flashes of where they'll be as they get their game hands going... instead of having 20 games to get there, they'll need to find em in 10..

Wish we could forward to the 10 gm mark... but no... i have listen to the psychitzo media and message boards blowup after every borderline goal against till then... (actually no.. i don't)

My take on the Oilers-Canucks game....

That Eberle goal was freakin disgusting. One of the best backhanded roof jobs from that angle that i've seen.

Had it not been for a back to back game for the Canucks, i think they could've closed it out in the third period or in OT but they ran out of gas.

Yakupov showed flashes of greatness but was clearly a bit over excited to have the puck. He over deked and over puck handled. That said, he showed more than what RNH showed. Not sure i would put RNH on the top line because he looks out of place.

Halfway into the game, i was actually cheering for Lou to get a SO just to create even more goalie controversy in Vancouver moving forward. But alas, Lou was Lou and he lost the game. No more goalie controversy. Schneider will get the start next game and Lou is still on the trade block.

The only thing a shutout might have changed was who would have started the next game.