The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Hockey_Canada1

Discussion & Debate Thread: Flames and Canucks

The San Jose arena has glass that retracts when the opposition goes to shoot a puck off of it... ask Bieksa.

And our arena has a magic stanchion that pops out to redirect pucks into prime scoring positions... ask Bieksa.

Apparently last year several arenas had magic invisible stanchions that caused Canuck players to fly through the air... ask anyone.

Sorry DL, just couldn't pass that one up... :lol:

• Like 1

I predict that the weekend game vs Chicago, win or lose, will be the turning point of the Canuck season.

Apparently last year several arenas had magic invisible stanchions that caused Canuck players to fly through the air... ask anyone.

Sorry DL, just couldn't pass that one up... :lol:

Weak. shoulda passed.

Come on carty.. at least bring the funny if you're gonna attempt you know, being funny.. ;)

We have a blue line that reaches up and trips players on the opposing team... There's no other explanation when no one else is even close... It's already happened a few times this season...

Backlund tripped on it too. It's really weird, because all 3 times I have seen someone trip, it has been the exact same spot on the ice. :o

Is that spot close to any of the overhead pyro?

Vancouver off to their second hottest start under AV! (first 6 gms)

2-2-2

awesome.

That's one positive spin. The other is - only 2 regulation losses in 6 gms. (10 teams less, 11 teams have more)

The bad - 3 blown 2-0 leads. 1-0-2 in games going up 2-zip.

The good - going up 2-zip in the first place.

Man, Burrows really whiffed that triple sow cow.

Since he will never be in the Breakaway Skills Competition at the All-Star game, he thought he would try in the regular season.

FAIL! :lol:

Since he will never be in the Breakaway Skills Competition at the All-Star game, he thought he would try in the regular season.

FAIL! :lol:

I wonder which one was worse... the above, or Stempniak's attempt that went directly into the chest of Schneider? hmmm...

I know which made me laugh out loud.. (literally. room full of people and they made me rewind the pvr)

Is starting Luongo for the 3rd game in a row (against Chicago) to increase his trade value or to cement him as #1 opening the door to trade Schneider?

Just curious what the Canuck fans see happening.

Is starting Luongo for the 3rd game in a row (against Chicago) to increase his trade value or to cement him as #1 opening the door to trade Schneider?

Vancouverites love drama...

He's just giving the people what they want!

Could very well be, maybe they've found that they cannot make an amicable trade for Luongo so they might see moving Schneider as their only option now. The only problem I see is that Luongo and the fans and organization have such horrible relations that it'd be tough to ever see them completely repaired.

Could very well be, maybe they've found that they cannot make an amicable trade for Luongo so they might see moving Schneider as their only option now. The only problem I see is that Luongo and the fans and organization have such horrible relations that it'd be tough to ever see them completely repaired.

Or Luongo sees that he isn't the big deal outside Vancouver he thought he was. On the block since LA showed them up & nobody meets the trade price.

Trading Schneider is proof he's still the big cheese in BC. That fixes things with management. The fans seem 50/50 on who should start so that can be patched over. They won't complain until he fails to bring them to the playoffs or craps the bed once there again. They were fickle on Luongo/Schneider during the playoffs so won't care if Cory brings a decent return (likely).

The coach has to go with the hot goalie and the one that gives them the best chance to win. That happens to be Luongo right now.

I dont think its as big of a drama as what people make it out to be. Luongo and Schnieds get along great so there is no animosity. Schnieds respects Luongo and Luongo has been very classy and realizes the situation. Gillis has always been upfront and said that he is not in a rush to make a trade and has no problem keeping both goalies.

Gillis will continue to listen to offers and tell GM's what he wants. Until Kesler and Booth come back healthy, Im not sure he wants to make a panic trade. He signed Garrison but its too early to see if thats panned out. Same with Booth and Kassian.

The coach has to go with the hot goalie and the one that gives them the best chance to win. That happens to be Luongo right now.

I dont think its as big of a drama as what people make it out to be. Luongo and Schnieds get along great so there is no animosity. Schnieds respects Luongo and Luongo has been very classy and realizes the situation. Gillis has always been upfront and said that he is not in a rush to make a trade and has no problem keeping both goalies.

Gillis will continue to listen to offers and tell GM's what he wants. Until Kesler and Booth come back healthy, Im not sure he wants to make a panic trade. He signed Garrison but its too early to see if thats panned out. Same with Booth and Kassian.

The talking heads run with this as the biggest story left.

What's your personal preference as to which goalie the Canucks keep?

Do you think Gillis will just decide by which fetches the best return offer?

The talking heads run with this as the biggest story left.

What's your personal preference as to which goalie the Canucks keep?

Do you think Gillis will just decide by which fetches the best return offer?

The media will always need to run with stories and there is no doubt that eventually one of them will be traded so I dont blame the media for always talking about it, but I dont see it as a dividing threat for the canucks success or lack of it.

I still believe that Schnieder is the goalie to keep because I think his overall consistency will be better. Having said that I dont mind playing the waiting game for this season. I believe Vancouvers 'cup window' is a bit bigger than most teams because the Sedins arent really built around speed, size or pure goal scoring. The are extremely smart players and use there chemistry to beat teams. They should be able to play at a high level into there mid 30's. Being dedicated to Kesler, I think there biggest need is finding compatible players to mesh with him. So any trade should be built around a player for Kesler. Playing things out for this season will show Vancouver if Booth/Kesler play well together, is Raymond not suited for Vancouver, Kassian's development, was Garrison a one hit wonder and is Schnieder a Jim Carrey.

Big 4 division games in a row here.

This stretch should reflect on what the Chi game had on the team. Either it was a point of coming together and overcoming as a team, and they move thru the rest of the season as a group. Or a let down.

I mean Henrik with 4 hits? wtf. A couple of those were pretty solid and hyped us up in the crowd... i imagine it woulda done the same thing to the bench.

Do the other individuals on the team follow their leader and step it up and take themselves out of their own comfort zones and do the little gritty things necessary to win?

We will see.

For all that's been made of the van start, it's the best in recent memory. Bodes well as Kesler and Booth creep closer to the lineup. Kesler skating with the team now (without contact).

The goaltender situation is great. Throw whoever in there, and they have confidence knowing they stand a chance to win.

The media can do their thing... it shouldn't be a concern for the team... but will be a constant talking point anyway.

Calgary looked great vs Chi. Same story of lack of finish... but they had no puck luck. Any other night that was supposed to be 4-1 win with a couple of those posts converted, or Glencross with better patience etc... Watching the CBC replay, it felt a lot like the Van SJ game earlier this season (in terms of bounces and failing to capitalize on the chances they produced).

They're primed for a run of bounces and wins sooner than later. I think they win vs Det and CBJ before the Canuck game.

I tuned into tonights Canucks Oilers game and saw Henrik Sedin make a hit...

Did he buy a new pair of enforcer underwear? :blink:

Schneider's agent (Mike Liut) chimed in on TSN. He's not happy about Luongo getting the majority of the starts.

He added that he hasn't heard anything about the Canucks shopping Schneider.

Schneider's agent (Mike Liut) chimed in on TSN. He's not happy about Luongo getting the majority of the starts.

He added that he hasn't heard anything about the Canucks shopping Schneider.

He has said more of the same elsewhere too... Liut also mentioned "We were hoping this would be the year that Cory would play 75 per cent of the games" and had quite a bit more to say on the subject here... http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks/Vancouver+Canucks+Cory+Schneider+agent/7917331/story.html

Agent doing his job, looking after his client and only his client. I have a really hard time believing Schneider feels as strongly about it as his agent does.

Agent doing his job, looking after his client and only his client. I have a really hard time believing Schneider feels as strongly about it as his agent does.

Of course Schneider is a bit uncomfortable...

It sounded like it was a done deal this summer that Lou was gone, and he isn't... The for sure done deal with a big return for Lou did not happen...

And Lou has not only been given the starts that Schneider and his camp had expected, but Lou has had a few wins in the process...

The plot thickens...

Luongo has only been one cupcake (off of Hemsky's weeka$$ shot in game 2) short of sensational thus far...He seems to have stopped playing dead in his crease when an opposing player skates by as well...

I wonder if maybe the Canucks should forget about trading him and make him their captain...

Luongo has only been one cupcake (off of Hemsky's weeka$$ shot in game 2) short of sensational thus far...He seems to have stopped playing dead in his crease when an opposing player skates by as well...

I wonder if maybe the Canucks should forget about trading him and make him their captain...

look at the Hemsky goal again.

Hemsky was coming at speed.. got in close with a bouncing puck and 95% of the time the player's only play is jam on the goalie... Luongo's safest play - have his stick protect his 5 hole.

Sick Hemsky hands took that puck to the left with some pretty impressive speed and boom- goal. His speed coming in combined with his hands made that goal happen.

Easy for an arm chair goaltender to say it was a softie.

But yeah.. anyways.. he's been good.

funny you said the captain thing... in having a conversation with a fellow buddy just last week...

My thought of the week: If @strombone01 was around in 2008, Luongo would still be the captain of the Canucks today.

Chew on that one....

• Like 1