The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Hockey_Canada1

Discussion & Debate Thread: Flames and Canucks

Sounds like jj is putting DL in a 12 step program.

:)

that is what I was thinking too. but you have to start with the acceptance of the problem or you won't get past that stage...

Edit : substituting in Miller from Luongo is like switching from Rye to rum isn't it?

• Like 1

DL, 

Just a heads up, this is a Calgary Flames forum you're on.  For the record, I'm one of the Very few users on here that don't have a personal vendetta against the Canucks due to a few undeniably unlikeable qualities they possess, combined with the riot.

I would actually Love to see them do well, despite some negatives, and I even cheer for them when they're not playing the Flames.  I reserve all my contempt for the Oilers organization (not the team itself, necessarily).

With that said.....what you wrote above sounds like a cry for help from a desperate, devoted fan.   I am here to tell you that you have come to the right place, with all the support and sympathy you will need in the coming years.   But the first step has to start with you...admitting that you (your team) has a problem.  We can't do that for you.

When you come out the other end of this, I truly believe you may have a better, more likeable team than ever.    You may even find that there are far more Flames fans who are willing to cheer for the Canucks as a secondary team (but not as "Canada's Team"...cough cough).

To quickly address your cry for help above:

1.  The chance of a rebuild has little or nothing to do with your prospect pool.  It has to do with the age and deterioration rate of your impact players.  Which, in the Canuck's case, is a clear, clear case for rebuilding.

2.  The prospect pool you listed sucks.   Really.  Honestly.    Bottom of my heart.   Yes, I agree that it is better than what the Flames had.  But not by much at all.  And none of those prospects are going to be impact players for a long, long time.  If ever.

3.  This is a GOOD thing.  Be honest.  The Sedins have to be the two most annoying, unlikeable players in all of hockey.   Vancouver's identity right now is diving.  That's it.  Not "Canada's team".  Not even any good form of hockey.  Just diving.   You know this.  We all know this.   It's lame.     When you come out the other end of this, All of that goes away.  Trust me, if it's done right you could be a prouder fan than you've ever been.

Hahahahahahah....someone better take his belt and shoelaces if the Nucks or Oilers make the playoffs before his mighty Flames.

DL, 

Just a heads up, this is a Calgary Flames forum you're on.  

I love this disclaimer...

Whenever it is typed, it's a clear warning that an irrational, illogical, fully biased, pointless to argue about post is about to follow.

Wishful thinking JJ... 

SIt back and watch..

Hahahahahahah....someone better take his belt and shoelaces if the Nucks or Oilers make the playoffs before his mighty Flames.

Why take mine?  Lord knows you'd have your choice of shops to loot from

• Like 2

I like this thread even though you guys get grumpy at times.

My predictions (just being honest) The Nucks are going to squeak in to the playoffs this year. Change is as good as a rest right?

Slow start but by November, they will be looking like a team on the rise.

..slowly backs away...  :unsure:

What you suggest is certainly possible, but don't be too disappointed if you're still down with the bottom feeders at the end of this season.

One injury to the Canuck's SSV line and they will be in tough.

No backing away necessary.................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iviGBxyOdbQ

Classy move by Henrik to give the little kid a stick after getting injured..... After the game the kid was allowed to come to the dressing room area and get it autographed and a picture taken.

They showed earlier in the night that during there time off before going to Edmonton for the game, they visited a disabled fan in Lethbridge simple because they " asked to come"  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iviGBxyOdbQ

Classy move by Henrik to give the little kid a stick after getting injured..... After the game the kid was allowed to come to the dressing room area and get it autographed and a picture taken.

They showed earlier in the night that during there time off before going to Edmonton for the game, they visited a disabled fan in Lethbridge simple because they " asked to come"  

Neat thing about that Lethbridge story is that coach Willie D found out that the Twins were going to go visit the kid and asked to join them... speaks volumes for our new coach as well..

Vancouver on paper & Calgary on the ice so far this season.

It's a matter of being below or above expectations. :P

Calgary is obviously way above everyone's expectations...

Vancouver is on par with mine..  they've been playing how i hoped they would be playing.

Great to see so far... now the Gauntlet...

Better put some WD-40 on that gauntlet to prevent rust.

Next matchup December 20th.....Why is it sooooo far away?

Better put some WD-40 on that gauntlet to prevent rust.

Next matchup December 20th.....Why is it sooooo far away?

Its the only game i've bought tickets for so far this season.

Fricken prices are ridiculous..  Upper bowl pair of tickets around $320ish350ish...

I spent 6 yrs prior to this season on the waiting list for season tickets...  Get to the front of line and have passed the last 2 yrs because the cost is insanely unjustifiable at the moment...  will maybe invest in little ice pack next yr... hopefully they continue to fail to sellout games...  would love to see em drop in price next yr...  not holding my breath tho...  They'll be generating some excitement this season.

Or the act got old fast.  It was funny for a season, then it became redundant.  I hope the duo at least gets some sort of compensation from the club for bringing the spotlight to Van for a while.

Well... this is unexpected to see at this point of the season....

A Flames vs Canucks comparison can legitimately occur still after 20-some games...

These 2 teams are neck and neck in the standings and some of the stats like goals/game...

So how do ya think these two match up this yr??

Fill out who as the edge in each: 

Coaching : 

Forwards

- Top line :

- Middle 6 :

-Bottom 6 :

Defense

- Top pair :

- Top 4 :

- Bottom 4 :

Goaltending :

Special Teams

- PP :

- PK :

How would you complete the following:

If the Canucks/Flames continue the way they are playing, it will be because of :

If the Canucks/Flames fail this yr, it will because of :

Coaching : Calgary - Hartley didn't have much to work with when he came to Calgary, and on paper still doesn't have a lot to work with. Instead he stresses conditioning and systems and we are in competition for being among the top in our conference, with a heavily injured lineup. Vancouver has a lot to work with, and it would be pretty hard to screw it up (*cough*Torts*cough*)

Forwards

- Top line : Vancouver - Vrbata has been a pretty seamless fit with the Sedins from the few games I've seen. Calgary's top line is a solid second line.

- Middle 6 : It's a close one but as far as second and third lines go I have to go with Calgary. Our second line (Johnny Hockey, Granlund, Hudler) consistantly makes solid play and gets takeaways and creates turnovers. Though I know points-wise they are similar to Vancouver I would give it a 50/50 on second line, but, I think Calgary wins middle 6 with our Third Line (Jooris, Byron and the rotating winger) has been energetic, physical and scores some timely goals while not being a defensive liability (I mean Jooris and Byron both play on PK and as much as people go on about how Johnny Hockey has 21 Takeaways, not a lot of people realize that Byron isn't far behind him with 17)

-Bottom 6 : Calgary

Defense

- Top pair :  Calgary (Seriously, with Gio/Brodie, is this one even in question?)

- Top 4 : Calgary (Russel and Wideman have provided offense and Russel is among the league leaders in blocking shots)

- Bottom 4 : 50/50. The two third pair's and the 7th d-man on both teams have similar stats all the way around.

Goaltending : Calgary (not by much). As much as I can't stand Miller, he has been winning for Vancouver guys, but Van has also won only 1 game that Lack has started. Hillers wins are worse than Miller but Sv% and GAA has been better, and as a tandem Ramo can steal and/or keep us in games well enough for us to win (while Lack seems to be heavily struggling in that department).

Special Teams

- PP : Calgary

- PK : Vancouver (Calgary's PK has been phenomonal some nights but as a whole has been pretty lack-luster this season)

If the Canucks/Flames continue the way they are playing, it will be because of :
Canucks: Skill, chemistry and possible defensive improvement.
Flames: Hard work and dedication, combined with the right attitudes in the locker room.

If the Canucks/Flames fail this yr, it will because of :
Canucks: Shouldn't. I think last year was a bit anomolous as far as missing the playoffs go, but I think the aging twins might see a dip in production the next few years and I'm unsure of the Canucks depth and ability to replace that scoring.

Flames: Honestly, if we keep up the work ethic, even if we finish bottom-10 I wouldn't consider it a failure. But as far as wins/losses go, the biggest potential reasons to fail would be key injuries to our Defensive corps. If we lost a 5-7 D-man we should be fine, but if we lose Gio or Brodie, we could be in big trouble, and it would be tough to effectively replace Russel and/or Wideman without a trade. We just lack the depth in D-men. And Hiller playing badly could also hurt us as well (I think what we have seen the last few games from Ramo is the worst we will see from him, and I don't expect him to struggle for much longer).

• Like 1

^ good read...

Coaching: Flames. Hartley with the experience edge. Hell he's a cup winner. Vs a rookie in Willie. Style wise you would be hard pressed to find two more different coaching styles as well. Two perfect fits for their respective personnel.

Top Line : Canucks. Still one of the highest scoring lines in the league.

Middle 6 : Flames. Canucks had the 4th highest scoring 2nd line in he league about a week ago.. But with Burrows out and packaging the 3rd line into it, I'll give a token nudge to the Flames.

Bottom 6 : Canucks. I happen to think the Canucks have one of e best bottom 6's in the league right now. Hell, our 4th line winger was the NHL's 1st star this week. When do you see that?

Top pair : Flames. Impressive scoring push from them. Vancouver's early success lays on the effectiveness of Edler-Tanev.. But not as much as Calgary's depends to Gio-Brodie

Top 4 : Flames. Hamhuis out for months.

Bottom 4 : Canucks. Love how stable Sbisa, Stanton and Weber have been rotating thru... Sbisa moves into Hamhuis' spot along side Bieksa.. And they have been great.

Goaltending : Canucks. Over 82 I have a lot more confidence in Miller- Lack. In terms of Lack's "struggles"... He has been pretty good. A little context... His 4 starts have been the second half of our 4 back-to-backs. Was a star in his win. And good Miller has been worth every penny so far.

Announced today that Bo Horvat will be remaining with the Canucks for the foreseeable future...

So... commence the Horvat vs Monahan comparisons! 

;)

Not much comparison in my opinion, other than that they play at center, and were both drafted out of the OHL.

I feel that they are two dissimilar players who bring different skill-sets to their respective NHL teams.