The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Hockey_Canada1

Discussion & Debate Thread: Flames and Canucks

[quote name='Kristian_Huselius wrote:

Canucker4Life']Im not going to defend the laser-using idiot, if you really want to look at it objectively then read my previous post again

My main point was how canucks fanbase is being lumped into one category because of one %%**@%%.

Which is all fine and dandy.

Just its sad to see an incident like this occur, Flames fans get angry, then all some of you can come up with is "what about this time or that time a Flames fan did this or that...."

Personally as much as I detest the Nucks, had this happened to Luongo, I would first and formost come hope that his health wasn't jeopardized. Having a healthy rivalry is one thing, trying to deflect blame stemming from a potentially career ending incident is another.

I was providing an example of how every fanbase has their share of jackasses.

As for the rest of your post (i.e. the "trying to deflect blame" part) All I suggested was that youre blowing things way out of proportion... this will be the last time I repeat myself.. read my first post again and go look up refraction.

Neither Kiprusoff or Sutter mentioned it as anything other than a distraction, if you want to try and read too much into things then be my guest, Ive made my point.

[quote name='Bane wrote:

Canucker4Life']My main point was how canucks fanbase is being lumped into one category because of one %%**@%%.

Its time you were told the truth...Canuck fans are the lowest form of life in existance.  Even pond scum looks down on Canuck fans.

Such hatred is unbecoming of you my friend happy.gif

[quote name='Kipper_4_PM wrote:

Canucker4Life']Im not going to defend the laser-using idiot, if you really want to look at it objectively then read my previous post again

My main point was how canucks fanbase is being lumped into one category because of one %%**@%%.

I can't speak for anyone else here, but my opinion of the Canucks fanbase is actually based on a hell of a lot of douchebags who cheer for that team.  I won't say that the entire Canucks nation are $*%@%%# classless idiots, and I actually have quite a few friends who are die-hard Canuck fans.  But you are kidding yourself if you think that the !+@%##+#% fan : classy fan ratio in Vancouver is anything other than astronomically high.

Keep in mind that this particular message board is not the only place that comments such as these have been made.  International television being one of the others.

Oh well, Ive worked/volunteered at senior homes and in hospitals, and each time Ive been astounded by the die-hard sincere canucks and hockey fans I saw, just because they dont show up to GM Place doesnt mean they dont exist smokin.gif

BC is a big place with a lot of Canucks fans wink.gif

Ladd crosschecked Kesler in the face when he wasnt looking in the playoffs last year.

oh speaking of the canucks vs chicago game6 loss, at least our team showed up laugh.gif

and offtopic but whatever happened to nfkevin?

just curious... How much canucks exposure do flames fan get? Maybe "exposure" isnt the right word..

The canucks flagship radio station has 1 or 2 talk-show producers that are flames fans. They provide tidbits on the flames, or opinion from a flames fan perspective... Does anything like that happen in calgary?

[quote name='hurtin_albertan wrote:

Canucker4Life']just curious... How much canucks exposure do flames fan get? Maybe "exposure" isnt the right word..

The canucks flagship radio station has 1 or 2 talk-show producers that are flames fans. They provide tidbits on the flames, or opinion from a flames fan perspective... Does anything like that happen in calgary?

The Fan 960 is Calgary's Flames talk radio, not aware of any Canucks fans on the staff, but they always throw in little tidbits regarding not only the Canucks but the rest of the division...they try to cover as much NHL as possible, but they also definitely keep a close eye on the Flames enemies. There's actually one host (Pat Steinberg I think) who absolutely hates the Canucks...its pretty funny.

Also, did any of you Canucks fans notice that pile of waste Wayne Primeau helping the Sedin line eat the Leafs for dinner tonight? On the Canucks 2nd and 4th goals, he left me thanking God that he's no longer a Flame, and wondering how great of a GM Brian Burke really is for acquiring him from Calgary at all...I guess that doesn't speak highly for D.Sutter either, but thats another discussion...at least he had the sense to get rid of him. 2nd Canucks goal, Primeau's down low to Toskala's left, he looks right at a Sedin that he has in check, then takes off after the puck leaving the Sedin (forget which one) ALL alone for the easy tap-in...Then on the go-ahead 4th goal, there's already 2 Leafs forwards deep, their line is up against the Sedins at a critical time in the game, Henrik gets the puck to start a breakout and Primeau pulls some ridiculous belly-flop stick check move which of course Henrik skates right past and its a 3-on-2 the other way. Easy goal, game over. I mean, for a veteran guy like Primeau, who's supposedly this awesome "defensive forward", the complete lack of hockey sense was pathetic. Honestly, who looks right at a Sedin by the side of the net, and then skates away to leave him all by himself. You're begging to be scored on...man did he fail hard tonight.

Anyways good on the Canucks to earn a win like that, this post wasn't meant to discredit them in case it comes off that way, more just wanted to vent on how grateful I am that Primeau is "earning" his millions somewhere other than Calgary...the guy is complete garbage. So are the Leafs, they literally don't have a single player on that roster that makes you say, "man that guy's good".

lol cool, I remember trying to listen to fan960 online once but my internet was crappy back then.. Ill try again on a canucks/flames game day some other time

As for Toronto, I kind of like Kessel pimp.gif He was on fire when he came back i think he had 10 goals in 13 games or something, I was actually beginning to think that that trade might not be so lopsided after all...till the leafs suckiness caught up with him

Seems like you guys are in good spirits after winning over the twoworst teams in the nhl tongue.gif 427 pages on CDC is nothing lol, and nooneexpected Henrik to keep that up, not even canucks fans. It was apleasant surprise, nothing more nothing less.

[quote name=Kristian_Huselius wrote:

7uongo is back, looks like he is gearing up for a playoff run against the Hawks again!

The_People1]Iwould like to further add that this is not an open trash talk thread soplease refrain from trash talking and discuss the Flames vs Canucks ina well behaved manner. Thanks.

Lol... KH looking for entertainment?

[quote name='Kristian_Huselius wrote:

hurtin_albertan wrote:

Kristian_Huselius']7uongo is back, looks like he is gearing up for a playoff run against the Hawks again!

I don't know what ground you think you have to stand on, seeing that the Hawks own our team even harder than they own the Nucks.

Yeah but we don't have the "best goalie in the world of all time."

A goalie is only as good as the team in front of him

[quote name='littlereddevil wrote:

Canucker4Life']A goalie is only as good as the team in front of him

Dominik Hasek says hi. Czech Republic wasn't even close to being favoured to medal in Nagano, and Hasek literally carried them to a gold medal.

Maybe I should have said "defense" instead of "team". Czech was one of the most defensive teams in the tournament.

Quote: "...at the end of the day, we've got to realize we have to take care of our own end first. All three goals were in the slot area. Unfortunately on the last one, I stopped the first four [shots] and only got a piece of the fifth one."

Source

I guess what you think of this comment depends on the interpretation. I remember the media made a huge deal about this. Having never seen the exact quote before, I thought it was worse than this (probably because of the media hype). Sounds pretty rude and immature but not vicious. He goes on to explain that he wasn't trying to throw anyone under the bus and was trying to point out how the team could improve.

"I didn't throw anybody under the bus. I was smiling when I said I stopped the first four. I also said I could have made a couple more saves, too. Maybe nobody quoted that part of what I said."

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Luongo+backs+criticism+defence+after+loss+Canadiens/2519266/story.html#ixzz0zhfuI38H'>

Ive heard similar quotes from other goalies after a game. Hes supposed to analyse his game while balancing his duties as a captain while talking about the team's game... Its hard to be politically correct in those situations.

Cause there's nothing better to look forward to on a Friday night than coming to a rival fan forum and talking trash on the internet. :rolleyes:

Sorry- I just had to. It's just that you sounded waaaay to enthusiastic to come home from work on a sunny weekend and sit in front of the computer. :P

I work weekends, this is Tuesday night for me.

please if all your going to say is flames >canucks...dont bother posting it, it doesnt help or proove anything and nobody can really bring an rguement against that for credible reasons

besides...we all know this anyways :D

i dont see how anyone thinks vancouver will be betetr next year...

the canucks figured they need a top 6 legit forward...they signed samuelson who only had 40 points to a 2.5 million contract...thanks but glencross does that for 1.2, and not for the red wings who make everyone better.

they also said they need a top defenceman/puck moving d-man...not only have they not signed one, they let a very solid d-man walk away...

so...in making a plan...and sticking too it (THUS FAR) they get an F.

calgary feels they needed...a new coaching staff and system....they work some sutter magic to bring in a highly regarded coach with a defensive mind...+1

calgary needs a puck moving d-man...not only do they sign one, they sign the most coveted free agent on the market...and all they gave away was one of new jerseys trades....(uncle lou, thanks for this off season)

for this...they get a A+

now even if they the nucks do sign a free agent d-man whom they need....and even if it is beacheman, the best of the rest....hes STILL not as good of way to fulfill your needs, like calgary did, and you STILL let a very good d-man walk away. i fail to see any nucks upgrades yet.

now i know what is going to be said here..."we won the NW and played better" etc etc etc..."you have cap issues"

A) do you forget the lead we had for the majority of the season and how much better we were for a large part? and as it would wind up...we both lost easily to the same team...

B) a cap issue remains to be seen and im sure darrly has learned his lesson.

(if one person says omg you let cammi go, you fail, jokinen IS his replacement, not to mention phaneufs former coach will bring pahenuf back and get more out fo him, bouwmeester adds some offence, and bourque being healthy is good for some more....now your gonna say .."hes injury prone"...well....seeing as no hockey has yet to be played, and this whole thread is based on ON PAPER....everyone is healthy right now)

okay nucks fans...now its your turn to tear me apart :P

What about Calgary's need to replace the 73 goals they lost from Cammalleri, Bertuzzi, Aucoin and Lombardi. Let's say Bouwmeester scores 15, that is still a far ways away.

So if Jokinen is Cammy's replacement, who is Olli's replacement?

He got top 6 minutes last season and in the playoffs as well, he also spent quite a bit of time on the Detroit PP.

He was 7th for forwards in detroit. Not top 6. 7th for PP time as well.

I am really starting to wonder why Canucks fans are having such a tough time grasping the idea that all of the Flames offense needs to be replaced. The idea of this season is to bring the GA down, not to maintain a top 5 GF(which the Flames had until the entire second line dropped).

Iginla, Langkow, Jokinen, and Bourque are all legitimate top 6 forwards. Guys like Moss and Glencross will probably be getting some top 6 time this season, they both put up pretty much identical numbers to Samuelsson, who apparently will be making Vancouver's top 6 better.

If you are happy with 4 top 6 forwards than all the power to you. Samuelsson makes the Canucks depth better, not our top 6 necessarily. He is a guy that can play in the top 6, but also on the third line if someone else steps up.

Well frankly we can't compare Hodgson to Backlund until they see some NHL minutes.

Both of these players have dominated in the junior leagues, which is typical for most stars (ie Crosby, Tavares, Malkin, etc.)

Sorry but until both of them have proven themselves in the NHL, I can't compare them

That is ridiculous. I guess we could say it's not fair to say Backlund is a better prospect than Matt Butcher (late round pick from 2005) then, because neither have seen any NHL time yet. Sure, nothing is a guarantee until they hit the big time, but there are usually some pretty solid indications of how a player will turn out.

And their collective cap hits are off by just 150K I believe.

I could see something like Iginla - 95 points, Jokinen - 75 points, Sedin - 85 points, Sedin - 85 points

All emotional attachment/undeserved hatred aside, would Calgary fans trade Jarome Iginla for both the Sedins?
I know Codes would. tongue.gif

[quote name='cinlow wrote:

Dusty_Foot_Philosopher']All emotional attachment/undeserved hatred aside, would Calgary fans trade Jarome Iginla for both the Sedins?

I wouldn't... Often Iginla has more impact than both of the Sedin's combined. Like in the Sedins vs. Tanguay+Iginla thread from a couple years ago, Iginla was carrying the entire bet by himself.

The only reason to go through with that trade is to get younger but I really don't think that is an issue we need to worry about with Iginla for 5 more years.I would argue that.

[quote name='Demonous_Xodus wrote:

Dusty_Foot_Philosopher']All emotional attachment/undeserved hatred aside, would Calgary fans trade Jarome Iginla for both the Sedins?

Is Vancouver throwing in a first rounder, Edler and Rights to Virtual Sami Salo?You can't trade him if he is retired.

If you asked any sane person (i.e not a nux fan) Bieksa vs. Bou who would they rather have on their team, 99.99% would say Bou.
Because ALL Flames fans are sane, down to earth people. Not a single one of them is stupid, ignorant, crazy, ect...

[quote name='cinlow wrote:

Dusty_Foot_Philosopher']Well, in terms of impact, the Sedins certainly won the head to head last season.

Daniel: 3 goals, 5 assists

Henrik: 2 goals, 4 assists

Jarome: 2 goals, 2 assists

The Sedins also had 15 game winning goals compared to Iginla's 4, and were a combined +46 compared to Iginla's -2. They are the two most undervalued forwards in the game today.

I agree that last year was a bad year for comparing Iginla by himself to the twins. The year before that though the twins combined for a whole 44 goals compared to Iginla's 50 and Iginla had the same number of GWG as the twins did combined. So really when it comes down to it, if I had to choose between the twins versus Iginla + XXXXX, where the unnamed player could put up 20-40 goals on his own, I feel that the Iginla pairing is better to have regardless of who he is with.

If Iginla has another off year I may change my mind but I guess it would depend on how Jokinen performs while playing with Iginla.

PS. I really hope Iginla bulks back up this summer.But it's about Iginla alone having more of an impact than both Sedins, not Iginla + random linemate. Because then we would say Sedins + 3rd linemate and then Iginla + 2nd line and so on and so on until we are comparing the whole teams.