The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Hockey_Canada1

Discussion & Debate Thread: Flames and Canucks

Nuckville is really split on trading him before the TDL or developing him further.

Johnny Hockey was benched for a game & responded magnificently.

Perhaps he might respond the same way.

Only the prophets know his ultimate destiny.

Too bad I can't like your post... that was pretty good....

To the portion that wishes to trade him in the next month...

makes zero asset management sense.

Definition of selling low...

This is his ultimate character test right here... he's not producing, bench him, humble him, see how he handles it and responds.. use the remaining portion of the season to evaluate, then act in the offseason if the result is anything but positive...

I'm not buying that he's befuddled, since in the same interview he went on to say exactly what he needs to do... But i do buy his frustration level. That's the only real story there.. He's frustrated.

So its comes down to his execution once he gets back in. Do something about it now.

I still love his potential... still think he's got 20-25-45 to 25-30-55 upside...

now put it in the pudding.

I've noticed that the Kassian thread on the CDC is like a war zone between his fans and haters.

Such vehemence from both sides and very little respect for each other.

Personal insults are thrown around like candy.

I think most canucks fans are more worried about how there team is doing. Right now we are about where we expected to be, fighting for a playoffs spot. Im sure Johnny canuck did think you were a lottery team but he sure wasnt alone. Most flames fans thought the same thing and there probably werent too many who actually thought you'd be doing as good as you are.

Miller is on pace right now to match his career best 41 wins in 69 games . He has 23 wins in 35 games played.

I agree Ace I'm willing to bet even the guys wearing the jerseys didn't expect to be sitting in a playoff spot more than half way though the season. I know I sure didn't.

Correct playoff to say home advantage playoff spot. XD

Oh and in the future, you may refer to me as the Prophet Sheri.  :lol:

I agree Ace I'm willing to bet even the guys wearing the jerseys didn't expect to be sitting in a playoff spot more than half way though the season. I know I sure didn't.

Correct playoff to say home advantage playoff spot. XD

Oh and in the future, you may refer to me as the Prophet Sheri.  :lol:

Your name does read SheriforPM. We didn't know it stood for Prophet/ Muse.

• Like 1

DALLAS - Stars forward Jamie Benn has apologized to twins Henrik Sedin and Daniel Sedin of Vancouver for making an inappropriate remark during a radio interview.

After a radio host suggested the Sedin twins were roommates on road trips, Benn said, "Who knows what else they do together."

:lol:

8856c85853860a40f1fa0a86f1dc748a.png

I must of missed the era the Stars and the Canucks were in the same division.

I'm just hoping Kassian keeps battling thru and doesn't go Glencross on us...

I see the logic of the present move...  Playing a back-to-back, just picked up McMillan whose been sitting, Kassian had a brutal game littered with turnovers... so sit Kassian and bring him in fresh for the second half of the b2b and hope he plays with the same fire he played with the last time he came back from the pressbox.  Like i said... hopefully he hangs in there mentally.

Been incredibly happy with all our rookies so far!

That's been the boost this team has lacked for a long time... a strong push from young energy.  

Horvat, Clendening, Kenins have been waaaay beyond expectations.  Vey is out of his element covering center without Bonino and Richardson lately, but his versatility has been awesome... he's going to be a good one... see a lot of Mason Raymond out of him.

Corrado looked very good prior to getting banged.

I love how Vancouver is incorporating like a super secret youth mov't that no one knows about.

Has energized the old guys as well...

The Sedins have already matched their total production from last season... and its game 57.  They have taken their game to the next level here since the Sharks loss....

Now it would be nice to get 3 of our top 4 D back...  They'll be in tough to hold their position without SOME bodies to get back into the lineup... Out :  Edler, Tanev, Bieksa, Bonino and Richardson...  

Our D when healthy...

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Sbisa-Clendening

Stanton-Weber

Will be awhile before we'll see that tho...

============

Rookies playing games this season:

Cgy : Gaudreau, Jooris, Grandlund, Ferland, Wolf, Knight
Van : Horvat, Vey, Kenins, Clendening - Corrado, Jensen

Can't picture there being a market for this type of player any longer in the NHL.

Or in the AHL for that matter as it turns out.

All tough guy enforcer types need to be versatile and be able to contribute now... and skate.

Notice the skillsets of the top fighters in the league today...

2aioe8w.jpg

Compare the skillsets of the group above to the skillsets of the group below.... from 2006:

2cz24o4.jpg

Reeves is probably the heavyweight champ of the league right now... that guy is a beast on skates.  But there is no one that wants or can go with him... Best enforcer in the league.  But he has great wheels and can cause havoc on the forecheck and dishes some punishing hits... 

Sooooo... Ryan Miller gone for 4-6 weeks

Add that to the list.

Bieksa, another 2 weeks before he hits 7 weeks gone (6-8 weeks was initial prognosis)

Edler is week-to-week

Richardson is indefinite

Corrado : Day to day

Bonino : Day to day

Burrows: Day to day

Tanev : Day to day

Kassian has responded well to his benching scoring 3 goals in 2 gms since returning and has 9pts in his last 9 overall. Saying all the right things right now... i.e. No Glencross-like comments... yet.

We need some regulars back asap... team is running well and working hard... but the talent/skill discrepancy WILL catch up to us like it does to all teams in this situation...

Kassian has responded well to his benching scoring 3 goals in 2 gms since returning and has 9pts in his last 9 overall.  Saying all the right things right now... i.e. No Glencross-like comments... yet.

I think this is unfair to try to put the comments from Glencross in this light.....

Glencross was being asked specific questions by a reporter and giving honest answers to those questions. Go listen to the interview.

I find it refreshing that he gave "honest answers" instead of the washed out refrained answers todays' players are taught to give...

We gotta do a Backlund vs Kassian pt production comparison for next yr..  It would be an interesting comparison.

The Sven vs Jensen comparison has fallen flat and is gonna become depressing..

Wonder how the whole Demko vs MacDonald story is going in their draft+1 yrs...

Monahan vs Horvat is romp... but at least Horvat is starting to look like something special now as well.

Priorier vs Shinkaruk.... i guess we'll revisit in Sept...

205 pages I still fail to see comparisons in the 2 teams. Yet they continue.

But I guess in the spirit of competition, you can't beat it!

Admin Edit: keep the vulgarities out of it, please

• Like 2

Sooooo... Ryan Miller gone for 4-6 weeks

Add that to the list.

Bieksa, another 2 weeks before he hits 7 weeks gone (6-8 weeks was initial prognosis)

Edler is week-to-week

Richardson is indefinite

Corrado : Day to day

Bonino : Day to day

Burrows: Day to day

Tanev : Day to day

Kassian has responded well to his benching scoring 3 goals in 2 gms since returning and has 9pts in his last 9 overall. Saying all the right things right now... i.e. No Glencross-like comments... yet.

We need some regulars back asap... team is running well and working hard... but the talent/skill discrepancy WILL catch up to us like it does to all teams in this situation...

Miller 4 to 6? Sh********t!!!!!

I guess Markstrom wont be traded now...that's a nasty list of guys out and it will catch up to us but I think we may just get through it and claim that last spot.

Way to go Kass....keep it up cuz I'm pulling for you

Admin Edit: keep the vulgarities out of it, please

My apologies.

I considered boundaries, but unfortunately came to the wrong conclusion.

Imagine that, in this day and age.

My hat goes off to you.

It's a landmark day!  We got a player back from injury!!

Bonino back in tonight!  Happy day... Vrbata probably the happiest of em all!

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Kassian

Matthias - Bonino - Vrbata
Higgins - Vey - Dorsett
Kenins - Horvat - Hansen

Hamhuis-Sbisa

Clendening-Stanton

Weber-Biega

Lack/Markstrom.

Now left on IR: Burrows, Edler, Tanev, Richardson, Bieksa, Corrado, Miller

Sven Baertschi traded to Vancouver Canucks for a 2015 2nd round pick.

Start planning the parade boys! The Cup is headed to the west coast!  :lol:

Reviews have been really positive so far.

Is on a 6 game point streak, the last 4 with the canucks farm team... (6gms, 8pts)

Benning continues to fill the void in our organization that was empty of 20-23 yr olds.. Upgraded long term draft picks that likely weren't going to be ready or available for 3-4 yrs into pro contributors today... 2nd or Vey, 3rd for Pedan, 2nd for Baertschi, Fosling for Clendening.

Baert's had an interesting season...

AHL :

Scoreless in the 1st 7 gms.

3pts in the next 3 gms

Called up.

14 gms with the Flames. 3pts in 2 of them, scoreless and -5 in the other 12.

Sent down.

14 pts in 14 gm run.

Scoreless in his next 4.

Called up.

Plays one with the Flames (1pt)

Sent down.

8 pts in his next 8 gms.

Traded.

5pts in 4gms with Utica.

Is on a 6 game point streak, the last 4 with the canucks farm team... (6gms, 8pts)

Benning continues to fill the void in our organization that was empty of 20-23 yr olds.. Upgraded long term draft picks that likely weren't going to be ready or available for 3-4 yrs into pro contributors today... 2nd or Vey, 3rd for Pedan, 2nd for Baertschi, Fosling for Clendening.

Baert's had a funny season...

Starts in the AHL :

3pts in the next 3 gms

Called up.

Sent back to the A.

14 pts in 14 gm run.

Scoreless in his next 4, then gets called up.

Sent back down.

8 pts in his next 8 gms.

Traded.

5pts in 4gms with Utica.

I don't see Baer leading you to the promised land anytime soon. He still has the potential to become a top 6 winger so maybe one day he can be that replacement for Chris Higgins your team is trying so hard to find. More than likely he won't end up an upgrade though.. Just younger 

We tried to tell you before this won't work. Your aging core is just that aging and slowing. You have no replacements. Trying to plug holes is not a good formula for rebuilding on the fly.

Hell I told you 3 years ago that I saw these similarities with our Flames trying to plug holes around Iggy and JBo core. Your team is getting older and slower and the injection of 1-2 rookies on the bottom lines or pairings is not going to work out well.

I still expect your Canucks to flounder this season. They may just barely hold on to a playoff spot, but they won't be surprising anyone there.

I kind of hope they do just make it in. At least that will give the Vancouver fans some false hope that they are on the right track and will just delay any meaningful changes a few more years.

Baert's had an interesting season...

AHL :

3pts in the next 3 gms

Called up.

Sent down.

14 pts in 14 gm run.

Scoreless in his next 4.

Called up.

Sent down.

8 pts in his next 8 gms.

Traded.

5pts in 4gms with Utica.

Baertschi can score.  He just can't play in the other two zones.  If the Canucks are okay with that, then Baertschi will be a good fit.

Baertschi can score. He just can't play in the other two zones. If the Canucks are okay with that, then Baertschi will be a good fit.

Yeah... the organization needs boost in skill on the wings. This team has enough defensively capable wingers... not enough skill.

I don't see Baer leading you to the promised land anytime soon. He still has the potential to become a top 6 winger so maybe one day he can be that replacement for Chris Higgins your team is trying so hard to find. More than likely he won't end up an upgrade though.. Just younger

We tried to tell you before this won't work. Your aging core is just that aging and slowing. You have no replacements. Trying to plug holes is not a good formula for rebuilding on the fly.

Hell I told you 3 years ago that I saw these similarities with our Flames trying to plug holes around Iggy and JBo core. Your team is getting older and slower and the injection of 1-2 rookies on the bottom lines or pairings is not going to work out well.

I still expect your Canucks to flounder this season. They may just barely hold on to a playoff spot, but they won't be surprising anyone there.

I kind of hope they do just make it in. At least that will give the Vancouver fans some false hope that they are on the right track and will just delay any meaningful changes a few more years.

Wow... and 3 yrs running now you still talk nonsense.

The fact you are still trying to compare the Canucks today to the Flames of 3-4 yrs ago despite being explained the organizational differences with prospects and management probably a half dozen times in this thread alone is just... well.. from you now its just expected now that anything logical just doesn't register.

You are are obviously taking the "If i say it or type it enough times, it may become true one day'...

Also it's pretty easy to continue to dismiss you if you think trading for rookie prospects is just like "plugging holes around Iggy and JBo".

But go ahead and entertain me... How are Benning's moves just like Sutter's approach that sunk the Flames?

Also I'm confused... If a team has an aging core, isn't injecting 1 or 2 rookies actually a good thing? It seems according to you, the Canucks are doomed because of their aging core AND doomed because they are infusing youth? Nicely done Dirty! Great logic! You win the thread!

(an FYI... The Canucks have been infusing 3 or 4 rookies into the lineup, not 1-2 : Vey, Horvat, Kenins, Clendening/Corrado)

jqpyx0.jpg<--Me

^

You

Yeah... the organization needs boost in skill on the wings. This team has enough defensively capable wingers... not enough skill.

Wow... and 3 yrs running now you still talk nonsense.

The fact you are still trying to compare the Canucks today to the Flames of 3-4 yrs ago despite being explained the organizational differences with prospects and management probably a half dozen times in this thread alone is just... well.. from you now its just expected now that anything logical just doesn't register.

You are are obviously taking the "If i say it or type it enough times, it may become true one day'...

Also it's pretty easy to continue to dismiss you if you think trading for rookie prospects is just like "plugging holes around Iggy and JBo".

But go ahead and entertain me... How are Benning's moves just like Sutter's approach that sunk the Flames?

Also I'm confused... If a team has an aging core, isn't injecting 1 or 2 rookies actually a good thing? It seems according to you, the Canucks are doomed because of their aging core AND doomed because they are infusing youth? Nicely done Dirty! Great logic! You win the thread!

(an FYI... The Canucks have been infusing 3 or 4 rookies into the lineup, not 1-2 : Vey, Horvat, Kenins, Clendening/Corrado)

jqpyx0.jpg<--Me

^

You

Pretty much the same "insulting response' as 3 years ago too. Seems you are stuck in the "old and slow" in your responses, just like your team is old and slowing....

And the knuckleheads have not made any meaningful improvements(except the firing of Torts). They are still on this slow decline in comparison to the rest of the Western teams.

Actually I am a lot pissed at your responses. You can't formulate a logical answer so you resort to insults.

Edit:

Take a look at your team from top to bottom.

Management - Trever Lindon is better? What experience in running a hockey team doe he have to improve the running of an NHL hockey team? How does running a few fitness clubs make him so much better a leader?

GM - Jim Benning. At least he has some decent apprentiship.. but upgrade?? no not yet...

Coaching - AV is a better coach then and still now. Torts was a trainwreck and Willie Desjardins has a long way to go to even get into this "who is better" coaching discussion.

Core Hockey Players: With Kesler gone who has been added to upgrade the core of your hockey team? No one... Just because Radim Vrbata can play with the Sedins does not make him a core player and at 33 he is also becoming a part of the old classification...

Goaltenders: Your club totally missed the boat here. Their handling of Schneider and Lou was a total joke. Miller is no upgrade although he is an okay starter in the regular season. He is also getting old and not the goalie he once was. Proof of this was last season with The Blues. I still think Luongo was and is a better goalie than all your other goaltenders then and now.

You sit here and tell me you have inserted a few young prospects and the Nucks are better team now? Sorry until you upgrade  the core you are not progressing and your core is just getting older and slower.

You are in denial and can't see this... bring on more insults... that is all you have...

Pretty much the same insulting response as 3 years ago too. Seems you are stuck in the "old and slow" in your responses just like your team is old and slowing....

And the knuckleheads have not made any meaningful improvements(except the firing of Torts). They are still on this slow decline in comparison to the rest of the Western teams.

Factually wrong as per usual.

And zero ability to back your outlandish initial post as per usual.

I'm back to not wasting another ounce of energy in responding to your calgarypuck gibberish.

/entertainmentfortherestofyou

Edit:... no i got one more response in me to give one day