The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Hockey_Canada1

Discussion & Debate Thread: Flames and Canucks

Oil patch?

You got something along the lines of a Speedy Auto Glass analogy instead?

I see what you did there! Don't worry DL, I miss Derf too.  :(  :lol:

For a number of reasons.. You haven't won anything but a  couple of Presidents cups with them.

To give them a chance to win the cup.  Your team is on the decline there is no sign that your team is going to give them that opportunity soon.

Then it will be up to the players to ask management for a trade. So far most of them have come out and said they wont waive or want to finish there career out in Vancouver.

a new thread every couple of weeks on your boards stating he should be replaced for something better might be a decent indicater. Add to that  you are going to have to find a spot for Baertschi and Vey or lose them to waivers next season. My guess is that Higgins spot will be up for grabs to accommodate one of the two.

Lots of opinions on CDC, i dont usually put much into it . Having said that, if Benning can get Mattias to sign in vancouver for similar money to Higgens, then id be ok with trying to trade him.

As far as Bouwmeester, I would take him on the canucks for sure. My comment wa more about you alluding to him being a top defensive d-man. While he is a good all around player, Id suggest he is more noted for his ability to eat big minutes every game and is a great puck moving, smooth skating D-man who can score 5 or 6 goals a year.

Sven won't like 4th line duties. It is one of the reasons he asked to be traded. You need to find a spot on 1st or 2nd line for him preferrably.

You might get him to do a 3rd line role for a little while as long as he does not have to play D responsible and get him enough minutes.

Yeah, i could see him starting on a 3rd line with Horvat but its just a guess that he will be the player signed. I cant see Benning trading for him just to lose him 6 months later without giving him a chance to prove himself.

I havent really seen much of Sven so other than reading comments on this thread, I dont know much about him

As far as Bouwmeester, I would take him on the canucks for sure. My comment wa more about you alluding to him being a top defensive d-man. While he is a good all around player, Id suggest he is more noted for his ability to eat big minutes every game and is a great puck moving, smooth skating D-man who can score 5 or 6 goals a year.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that no matter what team JBo has played for that the fans have way too high of expectations of him for producing points.

aa1721740dcfb5aeb001cdd50884418c.png

It was a problem we saw directly in Calgary especially when he was offered such a nice contract. JBo is and always will be an awesome Defensive minded DMan who uses his reach and skating to effectively play top D duties.  His ability to carry Butler here for a full year, as our top D proves how valuable and effective he really was.

SheriforPM, on 19 Mar 2015 - 14:43, said:

I see what you did there! Don't worry DL, I miss Derf too. :(:lol:

How could you possibly miss derf with dirty here evading posts in the exact same manner and going off on tangents off of any little point other than the main point being discussed. It's the exact same thing.

How could you possibly miss derf with dirty here evading posts in the exact same manner and going off on tangents off of any little point other than the main point being discussed. It's the exact same thing.

I have been on these forums a long time DDL. In that time I have found most your posting unimaginative and mostly just defending whatever Status quo the Canucks choose to be going. Sometimes I wonder how much you really watch your Canucks.

As well you like to blow your own horn.... If your points really had merit behind them you would not have to do this.

Having said that when you have no answers you turn to childish remarks  and references because your points have no merit.

Childish remarks for what purpose? to make the other poster look foolish? You only make yourself look foolish ...

Two good examples are your Master-bations references and the above reference to Derf and his speedy auto glass reference are good examples.

I have been on these forums a long time DDL. In that time I have found most your posting unimaginative and mostly just defending whatever Status quo the Canucks choose to be going. Sometimes I wonder how much you really watch your Canucks.

I enjoyed your use of the bold button. Very creative and imaginative.

As well you like to blow your own horn.... If your points really had merit behind them you would not have to do this.

Having said that when you have no answers you turn to childish remarks and references because your points have no merit.

Is this like your use of pictures when you fail to comeback and respond to a logical post?

Childish remarks for what purpose? to make the other poster look foolish? You only make yourself look foolish ...

Your posts actually do a pretty damning job themselves of making you look foolish... I don't need say a thing except point out your obvious tactic of skirting conversations.... like what you are doing with this post.

There have been countless counter arguments made to you by Ace and myself rebutting your misinformed perspective on all things Canucks... but instead of reading, digesting, and coming back with something on the topic... you abandon it and run off on a tangent.

It's transparent and all there for all to read.

It's exactly what derf does.. You are exactly like derf.

Two good examples are your Master-bations references and the above reference to Derf and his speedy auto glass reference are good examples.

You missed my circle jerk reference? That was a good one too.

Hows about you stop with the smoke and mirrors and actually discuss the topics at hand instead of derfing out. This 'woe is me' post of yours is really pulling at my heart strings.... but i don't see any point of you entering this thread, posting and then avoid the discussion part.

But you will keep on keeping on... you'll 'hurr durr old hurr durr slow" your way thru your cameos in this thread...

In the meanwhile... discussion with other posters who actually have a take will continue as per usual despite your derfy appearances...

You are simply a hit and run poster... come in, post something ridiculous, then run away from the rebuttal. How else you expect people to respond to you when skirt accountability for your incomplete/misinformed/or flat out wrong posts...

Everyone can read back... Its easy for everyone to see where this went off the rails....

Alright guys, tone it down and keep to the topic at hand.  Nothing wrong with competition between fanbases, and a little razzing with stats and comparisons.  But when it comes to elementary school yard tactics with the "he said, she said, you are, he is" stuff, then it's a little too much.  Same with the filthy talk.

Keep it on topic or we'll close down the thread for a week and hand out a few 3-day suspendies for a nice break from the heat of the discussion.

What nuck fans see in their dreams............Playoffs

What flame fans see in their nightmares........

1662bdc4576c1ee298bf7e4ed22edede.png

Though I'd fix that for ya :)

You just keep LA in the rear view then we will all get our wish of a first round match up

Though I'd fix that for ya :)

You just keep LA in the rear view then we will all get our wish of a first round match up

Same to you bud.  Lots of tough games left for the Nucks. Take nothing for granted; dreams don't always come true.

Same to you bud. Lots of tough games left for the Nucks. Take nothing for granted; dreams don't always come true.

Very true but I have looked at the sched. For all teams involved, done some fantasy # crunching and come to the conclusion that my nucks will make the playoffs. If the flames want to make the playoffs then they probably don't want LA to pass them in the standings.

Just my humble opinion.

Think of it this way...if the flames play great down the stretch and keep pace with LA then there could be a good chance that they knock the nucks out of the playoffs ;)

Please check out this thread, post # 933.

http://fans.flames.nhl.com/community/topic/21086-can-we-make-the-playoffs-this-year/page-47

It predicts that Vancouver only has to play .500 hockey to make the play-offs.

Thanks 420...I missed that with all the ball talk :)

Good o'd Pyro duing his du diligence.

As much as I don't want LA to pass the flames in the standings, a WC is still up for grabs for both teams!

Van has 3 games remaining vs teams with a better record than them.

The bad news (or good if your a flames fan) : all of Van's losses since January have been only to teams with worse records than them. heh.

If Van goes 4-6 (Wpg, Col, Dal, @StL, @Nas, @Chi, @Wpg, LA, Az, Edm)...

The Kings would have to go 7-3-1 to pass em...

The Flames would have to go 6-3-1 to pass em....

If Van goes 5-5.. those bump up to 8-2-1 and 7-2-1 respectively.

If they go the predicted 3-7... Then all it takes to pass em: LA 6-4-1, Cgy 5-4-1.

Van has 3 games remaining vs teams with a better record than them.

The bad news (or good if your a flames fan) : all of Van's losses since January have been only to teams with worse records than them. heh.

If Van goes 4-6 (Wpg, Col, Dal, @StL, @Nas, @Chi, @Wpg, LA, Az, Edm)...

The Kings would have to go 7-3-1 to pass em...

The Flames would have to go 6-3-1 to pass em....

If Van goes 5-5.. those bump up to 8-2-1 and 7-2-1 respectively.

If they go the predicted 3-7... Then all it takes to pass em: LA 6-4-1, Cgy 5-4-1.

Great break down DL.....just shows the importance of Calgary to keep it in the win colum.

Really? 3 for 7 blahahahahahhaa....I must be dreaming ;)

Tanev re-signs today: 5yr, $4.45 mil per.

Fits the salary structure just perfectly.

Top 4 all coming back next yr..
Edler $5mil
Bieksa $4.6 mil
Hamhuis $4.5 mil
Tanev $4.45 mil

The rest are RFAs as well... Sbisa, Weber, Clendening, Stanton

I can't believe it might be Flames vs Canucks in the first round. Every winner of this series has gone on to the Cup Finals.

There is very little separating the Flames and Canucks statistically... it's pretty insane how parallel their #'s are.

On paper it's as a balanced matchup as you could find right now between any 2 teams.. Wins/ROW/pts/G/GA/home-away records

Calgary was able to slay a couple demons this yr by winning the season series and ending a strong run of Canuck dominance over them. (2 wins apiece, with one of the Canuck wins past regulation)

Looking forward to the potential matchup... but that's all it is right now - potential... 10 games remaining.

Must.Stay.Ahead.Of.LA!!

Vancouver....your current lack of fail is disconcerting to me. :rolleyes:

Please fall off the cliff now!

I want my friends & family whom are Nuck fans to experience tears of sorrow while I bask in tears of joy. B)

I want my friends & family whom are Nuck fans to experience tears of sorrow while I bask in tears of joy. B)

Our retool is too good.

Pretty happy about the Tanev signing......  Last season he was our most consistant D-man so 4.45 is a very fair deal.

One of the things that annoys me is how most articles or analysts keep talking about the last 2 spots being up for grabs between Calgary, LA and the Jets.  They are only 2 points behind Vancouver with lots of games left......  I dont think anything is safe with how this season has gone

sneaky little pun added in . . .

One of the things that annoys me is how most articles or analysts keep talking about the last 2 spots being up for grabs between Calgary, LA and the Jets.  They are only 2 points behind Vancouver with lots of games left......  I dont think anything is safe with how this season has gone

Add the Wild to that list.1 up on the Jets with an equal # of games played.

I see 5 teams battling for 4 spots.

1 heck of an interesting finish to the season probably coming down to the last night sorting out who made it & the seedings/matchups.

I don't mind the term for Tanev but feel that the $ are too high.

He is above average defensively and his hockey IQ is decent, but he provides little in the way of offense or physical presence.

In contrast, Calgary managed to extend TJ Brodie for the same term at only $150k/yr. more without a NMC or NTC clause.

To gain Cap space, do you think the Canucks will trade Bieska or Hamuis prior to the start of next season?

Calgary, Los Angeles, Minnesota, Vancouver,  & Winnipeg are all so close right now.

5 teams within 5 points of each other.

Every team is winning regularly; lose a few in a row and you might be out of the running, win those same games and just stay in the race.

A very exciting end of season sprint for all of these teams.

Man, never even topped 20-points in a single season and he gets $4.45 for 5.  I guess that's the going rate now for a 2nd pair RHS RD.  He helps balance out the Canucks pairings which is valuable. 

420since1974, on 24 Mar 2015 - 14:34, said:

420since1974, on 24 Mar 2015 - 14:34, said:

I don't mind the term for Tanev but feel that the $ are too high.

He is above average defensively and his hockey IQ is decent, but he provides little in the way of offense or physical presence.

In contrast, Calgary managed to extend TJ Brodie for the same term at only $150k/yr. more without a NMC or NTC clause.

To gain Cap space, do you think the Canucks will trade Bieska or Hamuis prior to the start of next season?

No critical need for cap space at the moment. Vancouver is in good shape for next year. They'll look to add more cheep youth.. like Baertschi...

If they do require space... it won't be at the expense of those two..

Bieksa and Hamhuis are UFA in 2016, so contract extension decisions on them will start in the fall..

================================

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows - $18.5 mil

Kassian-Bonino-Vrbata - $7.5 mil

Higgins-Horvat-Hansen - $6.7 mil

Elder-Bieksa-Hamhuis-Tanev - $18.6 mil

Miller-Lack - $7.3 mil

= $58.5... Signed.

7 players left to sign with $11.6 mil. (D RFAs- Clendening, Sbisa, Stanton, Weber, upfront - UFAs - Matthias (gone), Richardson(?), Doresett, RFAs : Kenins, Baertschi, Vey)

====================================

Man, never even topped 20-points in a single season and he gets $4.45 for 5. I guess that's the going rate now for a 2nd pair RHS RD. He helps balance out the Canucks pairings which is valuable.

Pretty much....

The market for this level of dman is pretty well established :

Methot (4.9), Brodie (4.7), Martinez (4.0), Scandella (4.0), Muzzin (4.0) all signed this yr...

So a 5yr commitment @ 4.45 mil is perfect for him.

For accuracy's sake... Tanev is paired with Edler and firmly entrenched on the top pairing.

He's been our most consistent dman from the blue line in.

He's got room and now time develop offensively... but we have the dmen in place where Tanev isn't expected to contribute offensively at the moment. Linden hinted that will change deeper into his contract.... but he's being used to his strengths nicely right now, and the team is benefiting.

No critical need for cap space at the moment. Vancouver is in good shape for next year. They'll look to add more cheep youth.. like Baertschi...

If they do require space... it won't be at the expense of those two..

Bieksa and Hamhuis are UFA in 2016, so contract extension decisions on them will start in the fall..

================================

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows - $18.5 mil

Kassian-Bonino-Vrbata - $7.5 mil

Higgins-Horvat-Hansen - $6.7 mil

Elder-Bieksa-Hamhuis-Tanev - $18.6 mil

Miller-Lack - $7.3 mil (Luongo retained salary 0.80 needs to be added so 8.1)

= $58.5... Signed. (59.3)

7 players left to sign with $11.6 mil. [10.8] (D RFAs- Clendening, Sbisa, Stanton, Weber, upfront - UFAs - Matthias (gone), Richardson(?), Doresett, RFAs : Kenins, Baertschi, Vey)

I'd guess Sbisa doesn't get qualified. Salary is 2.9 (cap hit 2.175) so it would take @ least the 2.9.

Remainder of bolded are adjustments as your former great goalie still counts against the cap. :)

The rest carry low salaries so can be filler.