The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Hockey_Canada1

Discussion & Debate Thread: Flames and Canucks

I don't mind the term for Tanev but feel that the $ are too high.

He is above average defensively and his hockey IQ is decent, but he provides little in the way of offense or physical presence.

In contrast, Calgary managed to extend TJ Brodie for the same term at only $150k/yr. more without a NMC or NTC clause.

To gain Cap space, do you think the Canucks will trade Bieska or Hamuis prior to the start of next season?

Calgary, Los Angeles, Minnesota, Vancouver,  & Winnipeg are all so close right now.

5 teams within 5 points of each other.

Every team is winning regularly; lose a few in a row and you might be out of the running, win those same games and just stay in the race.

A very exciting end of season sprint for all of these teams.

Tanev is one of those guys you'd have to watch regularly to understand why Canucks and the fans are high on him. You almost never see him cough the puck up or make a bad pinch. He makes the smart pass out , rarely ever takes penalties . He is exactly the type of player Edler needs as well , someone who can hang back and be the defensively responsible player.

I'd guess Sbisa doesn't get qualified. Salary is 2.9 (cap hit 2.175) so it would take @ least the 2.9.

Remainder of bolded are adjustments as your former great goalie still counts against the cap. :)

The rest carry low salaries so can be filler.

I dont mind Sbisa but i personally believe he was just a salary dump player from Anahiem in the Kesler trade. With Tanev expected to re-sign i dont think there was much thought of ever re-signing him

Tanev is one of those guys you'd have to watch regularly to understand why Canucks and the fans are high on him. You almost never see him cough the puck up or make a bad pinch. He makes the smart pass out , rarely ever takes penalties . He is exactly the type of player Edler needs as well , someone who can hang back and be the defensively responsible player.

Wouldn't know it from his game tonight... A rough one from him...

But he's had few this season... I happened to go to the 2-0 loss toss to Dallas which was probably his worst as a Canuck...

He's good overall tho obviously.. Heh heh...

I dont mind Sbisa but i personally believe he was just a salary dump player from Anahiem in the Kesler trade. With Tanev expected to re-sign i dont think there was much thought of ever re-signing him

I don't believe that at all...

He will and should be retained between 2.5-3 mil...

But he's had few this season... I happened to go to the 2-0 loss toss to Dallas which was probably his worst as a Canuck...

Therein lies the problem.  You sign Sbisa for 2.9m (see FF's post) and you have less to retain the other guys.  Baertschi may walk if you offer him less than a million.  The cap may be reduced this year, so you may be up against it. 

Therein lies the problem.  You sign Sbisa for 2.9m (see FF's post) and you have less to retain the other guys.  Baertschi may walk if you offer him less than a million.  The cap may be reduced this year, so you may be up against it. 

True.  It will be tight.  But they also don't have to try and dump a $4.5 mil dman to make it work which was the initial response.

One of the goalies is gone...  no idea which one yet.

We'll see how Benning handles it all..

lol, yeah, just after posting that comment he went out and had a forgettable game for sure.

Tough call, do we spend that much on our 5th D-man ?  Id be more inclined to go Tanev-Edler, Bieksa-Hamhuis, Weber-Clendening as a top 6 and re-sign Stanton or Corrado as our 7th D.  The money saved on Sbisa can maybe go towards a 3 year 9 mil deal on Mattias or keeping Dorsett and Richardson . Not sure if thats enough for Mattias, but it would almost double his current salary and it gives him some stability to a team that he has found some success

Thinking my dream of a Van vs Calgary 1st round match up is just that...a dream. Crunched some fantasy #'s this morning and I've come to the conclusion that Winnipeg is done and will be a non factor but LA potentially could win out the season. LA will most likely get 2nd or 3rd in the Pacific knocking either Van or Calgary into a WC. Interesting thing is both the Van-LA game on Monday and Calgary-LA on Thursday turn into a 3 point game then it gets very interesting.

The great thing about this post...we are both going to make the playoffs :)

Sbisa 3yr $3.6 mil per

Dorsett 4yr $2.65 mil per

More than i expected... the writing is on the wall for Richardson and Matthias

SO... Update on the Canucks into next season...

========================================

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows - $18.5 mil
Kassian-Bonino-Vrbata - $7.5 mil
Higgins-Horvat-Hansen - $6.7 mil

Dorsett - $2.7

Elder-Bieksa-Hamhuis-Tanev-Sbisa  - $22.2 mil

Miller-Lack - $7.3 mil

= $64.8... Signed.

5 players left to sign with $6ish mil.

UFAs notable - Matthias, Richardson... 

RFAs  - Weber, Corrado, Kenins...

RFAs rookies that are waiver eligible next yr - Baertschi, Clendening, Vey  

Sbisa 3yr $3.6 mil per

Dorsett 4yr $2.65 mil per

More than i expected... the writing is on the wall for Richardson and Matthias

SO... Update on the Canucks into next season...

========================================

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows - $18.5 mil

Kassian-Bonino-Vrbata - $7.5 mil

Higgins-Horvat-Hansen - $6.7 mil

Dorsett - $2.7

Elder-Bieksa-Hamhuis-Tanev-Sbisa  - $22.2 mil

Miller-Lack - $7.3 mil

= $64.8... Signed.

5 players left to sign with $6ish mil.

UFAs notable - Matthias, Richardson... 

RFAs  - Weber, Corrado, Kenins...

RFAs rookies that are waiver eligible next yr - Baertschi, Clendening, Vey

Think you guys painted yourselves into a corner. Baertschi will likely get exposed to the waiver wire. You need to clean the house up a bit (or a lot). Are you shore about Horvat's salary including bonus? I think you have to include it in the current year.

Think you guys painted yourselves into a corner. Baertschi will likely get exposed to the waiver wire. You need to clean the house up a bit (or a lot). Are you shore about Horvat's salary including bonus? I think you have to include it in the current year.

Yeah.. Should an exciting offseason... You know there is likely a trade coming as Benning continues to shape the team.. Maybe a Miller or a Lack, Kassian... Someone.. Perhaps a surprise Garrison like trade where Hamhuis or Bieksa or Burrows goes to make room for more youth

And I have Horvat in at $1.7... So yeah, bonus included.

Yeah.. Should an exciting offseason... You know there is likely a trade coming as Benning continues to shape the team.. Maybe a Miller or a Lack, Kassian... Someone.. Perhaps a surprise Garrison like trade where Hamhuis or Bieksa or Burrows goes to make room for more youth

And I have Horvat in at $1.7... So yeah, bonus included.

Nice raise for Sbisa. :)

Miller @ 6.0 x 2 isn't gonna be a popular target while Lack @ 1.15 x 1 (true $s 1.4) will. Markstrom has a hit of 1.2 (salary 1.4) & RFA. Tough call but  Lack  will bring some kind of return. Markstrom if qualified would probably need to clear waivers to be sent down so until signed it's only his rights.

Kassian saves 1.7 if traded without salary coming back. 1 year before RFA.

Hamhuis, Bieska (1 year before UFA) or Burrows (2 before UFA) carry a hit of 4.5 - 4.6 each. Not sure on NMC/NTCs on any of the 3. Since the need is cap space don't expect instant help unless it comes from the farm & breaks out.

If you include the $800k/year Vancouver is paying Luongo until the end of 2022, the Canucks have 10 players on NMCs or NTCs. 

Player     Cap Hit   Expiry

D. Sedin - $7M - 2017/2018

H. Sedin - $7M - 2017/2018

Vrbata - $5M - 2015/2016

Higgins - $2.5M - 2016/2017

Burrows - $4.5M - 2016/2017

Hansen - $2.5M - 2017/2018

Edler - $5M - 2018/2019

Bieska - 4.6M - 2015/2016

Hamhus - 4.5M - 2015/2016

If you include the $800k/year Vancouver is paying Luongo until the end of 2022, the Canucks have 10 players on NMCs or NTCs. 

Player     Cap Hit   Expiry

D. Sedin - $7M - 2017/2018

H. Sedin - $7M - 2017/2018

Vrbata - $5M - 2015/2016

Higgins - $2.5M - 2016/2017

Burrows - $4.5M - 2016/2017

Hansen - $2.5M - 2017/2018

Edler - $5M - 2018/2019

Bieska - 4.6M - 2015/2016

Hamhus - 4.5M - 2015/2016

That's called experience son.

That's called experience son.

Since 2011 they are becoming more experienced in early exits. I guess they found they actually prefer golf over sweating.

We know Vancouver & area is a popular retirement site. :)

I'm really confused by the Canuck fans who seem to be happy with being in the playoffs in he 2nd year of their rebuild. Other then the Kesler trade, which ya is a big trade sure, they returned a bulk of the same team. They are still lead by the Sedins, Burrows, Bieksa, and Edler so I'm failing to see how this is a rebuild. It's a tweak with not exactly a super bright future down the road, unless you think Shinkaruk is your future.

I'm really confused by the Canuck fans who seem to be happy with being in the playoffs in he 2nd year of their rebuild. Other then the Kesler trade, which ya is a big trade sure, they returned a bulk of the same team. They are still lead by the Sedins, Burrows, Bieksa, and Edler so I'm failing to see how this is a rebuild. It's a tweak with not exactly a super bright future down the road, unless you think Shinkaruk is your future.

I think re-tools only work if your core guys are in their late 20s and there's still time for them to be effective after the re-tool is complete.  That's why the Canucks should've committed to a "full rebuild" when their core was aging well past their primes.  I know they joke "never go full rebuild" but that's basically what the Flames did and we are coming out of it much better than the Canucks. 

I think re-tools only work if your core guys are in their late 20s and there's still time for them to be effective after the re-tool is complete.  That's why the Canucks should've committed to a "full rebuild" when their core was aging well past their primes.  I know they joke "never go full rebuild" but that's basically what the Flames did and we are coming out of it much better than the Canucks. 

The Canucks will likely have in their opening night lineup:

Virtanen (19), Horvat (20), Baertschi (22), Kassian (24)...

Decent quality youth for a team that has only missed the playoffs once recently.  6th, 9th, 14th, 13th overall picks.

But in the spirit of continuing to turn the team over for the interests of the future....  Here's hoping they can turn Vrbata into a quality asset.  I'm all for selling high on him... 

Sacrifice the 30 goals for a prospect or a 1st rounder plus...

Move Lack... likely a better return in trade than Miller.

Move Bieksa... move Higgens...

Run with:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Baertschi-Bonino-Virtanen

Kenins-Horvat-Burrows

Hansen-Vey-Dorsett

Callups: Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Grenier

Edler, Tanev, Hamhuis, Sbisa, Weber, Clendenning, Corrado

Miller-Markstrom

Which team will be higher in the standings next season: Cgy or Van?

Who scores more next season.... Bennett or Virtanen?

Anyone know if Ramo is going to hit the market?

DL, don't go projecting Sven as a 2nd line LW just yet....

He wasn't able to stick in the top 6 (or even 9) on the Flames...Just saying.

DL, don't go projecting Sven as a 2nd line LW just yet....

He wasn't able to stick in the top 6 (or even 9) on the Flames...Just saying.

Actually just because he didn't make it on the Flames in 3rd line, does not mean he is not capable of making the Nucks. I suspect he has a better chance over there......

Face it, Nucks were proven to be old, slow, and the goal tending inferior to Flames when push came to shove during our Series.

As for Ramo being available sure if you want to swap straight across for Horvat... I liked Horvat because he was the only Nuck who was not old and slow. Showed a bit of truculence too...

The Canucks will likely have in their opening night lineup:

Virtanen (19), Horvat (20), Baertschi (22), Kassian (24)...

Decent quality youth for a team that has only missed the playoffs once recently.  6th, 9th, 14th, 13th overall picks.

But in the spirit of continuing to turn the team over for the interests of the future....  Here's hoping they can turn Vrbata into a quality asset.  I'm all for selling high on him... 

Sacrifice the 30 goals for a prospect or a 1st rounder plus...

Move Lack... likely a better return in trade than Miller.

Move Bieksa... move Higgens...

Run with:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Baertschi-Bonino-Virtanen

Kenins-Horvat-Burrows

Hansen-Vey-Dorsett

Callups: Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Grenier

Edler, Tanev, Hamhuis, Sbisa, Weber, Clendenning, Corrado

Miller-Markstrom

Which team will be higher in the standings next season: Cgy or Van?

Who scores more next season.... Bennett or Virtanen?

Anyone know if Ramo is going to hit the market?

Wow! That has contender/champion written all over it.

Vrabata  (a player the Coyotes released) @ $5 million for a 1st rounder is a stretch to say the least.

Dream on.

Since 2011 they are becoming more experienced in early exits. I guess they found they actually prefer golf over sweating.

We know Vancouver & area is a popular retirement site. :)

Golfing and diving in beautiful British Columbia.

Eddie Lack gets traded and now Kevin Bieksa.  These two were in my opinion, the two guys "blamed" by fans for the playoff elimination at the hands of the Flames.  So that said, is Jim Benning someone who just succumbs to fan pressure and makes the popular/emotional deals?