The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Hockey_Canada1

Discussion & Debate Thread: Flames and Canucks

Sven is just covering his butt in case he can't play well on the Canucks 2nd line at LW.

As well, many RFAs don't sign their QOs, their contracts get negotiated during the summer.

That isn't news.  Players almost never accept their qualifying offers.  They are simply low ball offers meant to retain the players rights.  Only in places like Vancouver would someone bother to tweet that as news.  

That isn't news.  Players almost never accept their qualifying offers.  They are simply low ball offers meant to retain the players rights.  Only in places like Vancouver would someone bother to tweet that as news.  

The only part that is news is that he wants a 1-way deal.  It's meaningless to VAN, as he faces the waiver anyway.  The fact that they offered it is more interesting than anything else.  JB isn't exactly inspiring with his decision making.

Not so quick to trade sven just yet...the season is about to start and let's just see what the "young guns" can do. Right?

He was applauding the Flames for moving him for the pick that got us Anderson. Not suggesting the Canucks move him. I doubt you could move him for meaningful value right now. Better to put him in a position to be successful and hope he is.

Not so quick to trade sven just yet...the season is about to start and let's just see what the "young guns" can do. Right?

Are you optimistic with the Canucks chances to make the playoffs this season?

I think they've taken a step back.  A very average off-season whereas other teams in the conference improved.

I thought the Canucks offseason was average too, but I don't think we should write them off just yet. Their forwards are going to be fast and they do have some talent at forwrad rank that could really take some steps forwrad this year. Virtanen has looked pretty good in preseason, Horvat really started to come on towrads the end of the last year and into the playoffs and that alone gives the Canucks 2 potetnially decent scoring lines, with Sutter anchoring what could be a good 3rd line. I don't like thier blueline and i'm not sold Miller is anything close to what he was in Buffalo, but I don't think the Canucks are near as bad as many are making them out to be. They are going to be a tough team to play against, and in alot of ways they remind me of Calgary last year.

I thought the Canucks offseason was average too, but I don't think we should write them off just yet. Their forwards are going to be fast and they do have some talent at forwrad rank that could really take some steps forwrad this year. Virtanen has looked pretty good in preseason, Horvat really started to come on towrads the end of the last year and into the playoffs and that alone gives the Canucks 2 potetnially decent scoring lines, with Sutter anchoring what could be a good 3rd line. I don't like thier blueline and i'm not sold Miller is anything close to what he was in Buffalo, but I don't think the Canucks are near as bad as many are making them out to be. They are going to be a tough team to play against, and in alot of ways they remind me of Calgary last year.

Virtanen is going to have issues with the NHL because he has trouble containing his anger.  He will take a lot of penalties and have bigger guys PO'd at him.  Not saying he doesn't have the skill, just isn't mature enough yet.  

Virtanen is going to have issues with the NHL because he has trouble containing his anger.  He will take a lot of penalties and have bigger guys PO'd at him.  Not saying he doesn't have the skill, just isn't mature enough yet.  

He DID smoke McDavid on a solid hit in pre-season and instantly became my favorite Canucks...

But yea, I know we shouldn't count out the Canucks and they will be a tough team to play against.  The Sedins control play even though they don't score as often as they used to.  The only problem with the Canucks is, and has been recently, depth scoring.  Brandon Sutter's line seems to be getting second line minutes while Horvat looks to be anhoring their 3rd line.  Horvat hasn't brought enough offense to his game yet at the NHL level to warrant more offensive minutes.

Assuming Vrbata is on the top line with the Sedins for most of the season, this leaves Virtanen and Baertschi, two rookies to do the heavy lifting for secondary scoring but it's too much to ask of rookies.  I mean, if we expect Sam Bennett to score 45-points and consider that to be a good rookie season, then i find it difficult to see Virtanen and Baertschi doing better.

I have said for a few years now the Nucks are getting old and slower. They have done very little to change this with Sutter and Prust but...

They do have an opportunity if they start the youth movement now to change this direction. They did get a little more feisty, and they have some nice prospects but only a couple who are close to NHL quality or NHL ready. I am not sure Baer is one of them.

I do like Horvat. He should become a solid NHL player one day....

Until they commit to more youth movement,  they will be mostly Old and Slow

I predict the Nucks won't move up in the standings at all. They may hold on to a wild card spot but this may also prove to be too much.

Most of the West has improved... Oilers should be improved(did I just say that?) and the Kings will be more rested and prepared for a playoff spot this season.

Canucks got faster, younger and hopefully more difficult to play against..

Loving the youth movement... 3 rookies earn initial roster spots : Hutton, Virtanen, McCann.  Joins sophomore Horvat... And Baertschi.  

Initial starting lineup for the opener..

Sedin-Sedin-Sutter
Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata
Burrows-McCann-Hansen
Prust-Cracknell-Dorsett

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Bartkowski
Hutton-Sbisa

Miller

Virtanen and Weber watching from the press box. Sutter being tried on the wing...

I have said for a few years now the Nucks are getting old and slower. They have done very little to change this with Sutter and Prust but...

They do have an opportunity if they start the youth movement now to change this direction. They did get a little more feisty, and they have some nice prospects but only a couple who are close to NHL quality or NHL ready. I am not sure Baer is one of them.

I do like Horvat. He should become a solid NHL player one day....

Until they commit to more youth movement,  they will be mostly Old and Slow

I predict the Nucks won't move up in the standings at all. They may hold on to a wild card spot but this may also prove to be too much.

Most of the West has improved... Oilers should be improved(did I just say that?) and the Kings will be more rested and prepared for a playoff spot this season.

I'm not sure who much you've watched of Brandon Sutter becuase he is anything but slow. He's actually a better skater then Bonino who they traded him for. Bonino is younger sure but that doesn't automatically mean he is a better skater.

So i say the exact opposite the Canucks DID get faster in the offseason. I'm still not convinced they are heading in the right direction and I still think they gave up way to much and are paying Brandon Sutter too much but they are going to be a fast team IMO. Outline their top line, Sedins arn't fast but still dangerous, they are going to have speed up and down their lineup and losing Bieksa gives them a more mobile backend. I still don't like thier back end outside of Tanev and Hamhuis and thats why they are more likely to fall backwards then move forward, but I think they are better then they are being giving credit for. They'll be tough to play against becuase their top line is always tough to contact, lines 2-3 are going to be fast and aggressive and they've got some real grit on their 4th line.

Out : Bonino, Kassian, Richardson, Matthias, Bieksa, Clendening, Stanton, Lack

In : Sutter, Baertschi, Bartkowsky, Prust, Virtanen, McCann, Hutton, Cracknell, Markstrom

Canucks got faster, younger and hopefully more difficult to play against..

Loving the youth movement... 3 rookies earn initial roster spots : Hutton, Virtanen, McCann.  Joins sophomore Horvat... And Baertschi.  

Initial starting lineup for the opener..

Sedin-Sedin-Sutter

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Burrows-McCann-Hansen

Prust-Cracknell-Dorsett

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Bartkowski

Hutton-Sbisa

Miller

Virtanen and Weber watching from the press box. Sutter being tried on the wing...

Its great to see the youth earning spots in vancouver. But the idea of taking your top young prospect, and having him watch from the press box is confusing to me. I guess its possible things could change in the next couple weeks, but I dont see any reason to have virtanen watching from the press box.

Its great to see the youth earning spots in vancouver. But the idea of taking your top young prospect, and having him watch from the press box is confusing to me. I guess its possible things could change in the next couple weeks, but I dont see any reason to have virtanen watching from the press box.

People were freaking out about this on the Canuck boards for no reason as well..

They weren't going to run both McCann and Virtanen through in 9 straight games.  He'll get his opportunity...

Right now they are experimenting with Sutter on wing. Jake is a winger.

When Sutter slides back to center, McCann/Cracknell can come out and Virtanen will take his turn somewhere.

Or if Sutter sticks as wing, then Virtanen will come in for whichever winger isn't performing up to snuff.... candidates: Baertschi, Hansen or Prust..  Or unforeseen injury replacement.

Maybe in gets in on the 2nd half of the back to back in game 4... It would be fun to see him debut vs the Kings.

He'll get a good look... just not in 9 straight games.

Horvat played his 9 games over a span of 11 games once he came back from injury... He actually played a rehab stint in the AHL before playing game 1 with the Canucks.. his game 1 was game #13 of the season.

People were freaking out about this on the Canuck boards for no reason as well..

They weren't going to run both McCann and Virtanen through in 9 straight games.  He'll get his opportunity...

Right now they are experimenting with Sutter on wing. Jake is a winger.

When Sutter slides back to center, McCann/Cracknell can come out and Virtanen will take his turn somewhere.

Or if Sutter sticks as wing, then Virtanen will come in for whichever winger isn't performing up to snuff.... candidates: Baertschi, Hansen or Prust..  Or unforeseen injury replacement.

Maybe in gets in on the 2nd half of the back to back in game 4... It would be fun to see him debut vs the Kings.

He'll get a good look... just not in 9 straight games.

Horvat played his 9 games over a span of 11 games once he came back from injury... He actually played a rehab stint in the AHL before playing game 1 with the Canucks.. his game 1 was game #13 of the season.

I agree with what youre saying but I wouldnt want my top young prospect playing 4th line minutes or sitting in the press box. Im not freaking out im just not quite sure what their thought process is on this one.

If I was going to hazard a guess, it seems to be like they are trying to convince canucks fans of a youth movement but not really playing their youth. If they didnt have a spot for virtanen in the first place I would have sent him back to junior, not wait to see how things pan out, but I guess thats why im not an NHL GM.

I agree with what youre saying but I wouldnt want my top young prospect playing 4th line minutes or sitting in the press box. Im not freaking out im just not quite sure what their thought process is on this one.

If I was going to hazard a guess, it seems to be like they are trying to convince canucks fans of a youth movement but not really playing their youth. If they didnt have a spot for virtanen in the first place I would have sent him back to junior, not wait to see how things pan out, but I guess thats why im not an NHL GM.

If they sent them back after a good pre-season, then they aren't being rewarded.  If they did it right away, they can't come back. Playing them for their 9 games then sending them back is fair.  I wish they had done that with Baertschi, not just giving him a spot on opening day.

With the Flames, Kulak is getting a 9 game tryout, and he could very well stay longer that that.  At least I think his contract hasn't started yet.  He may actually get a stall instead of a folding chair in the middle of the dressing room.

If they sent them back after a good pre-season, then they aren't being rewarded.  If they did it right away, they can't come back. Playing them for their 9 games then sending them back is fair.  I wish they had done that with Baertschi, not just giving him a spot on opening day.

With the Flames, Kulak is getting a 9 game tryout, and he could very well stay longer that that.  At least I think his contract hasn't started yet.  He may actually get a stall instead of a folding chair in the middle of the dressing room.

Except they arent rewarding him by putting him in the press box. Thats all im saying, also having him play a couple games as suggested on the back to back nights isent a reward either.

Except they arent rewarding him by putting him in the press box. Thats all im saying, also having him play a couple games as suggested on the back to back nights isent a reward either.

Making the team out of camp is a big reward for any rookie.  He gets to practice with an NHL team, attend meetings and will get played soon enough.  Other than a poster here, nobody has said anything about playing on the 2nd of a b2b.  When he does get his 1st game, he needs to show why he should be kept.  

Making the team out of camp is a big reward for any rookie.  He gets to practice with an NHL team, attend meetings and will get played soon enough.  Other than a poster here, nobody has said anything about playing on the 2nd of a b2b.  When he does get his 1st game, he needs to show why he should be kept.  

thats true nobody has said it other then a poster, im just saying not playing a rookie on the opening night seems odd to me. He made the team he should play not be kept on for meetings etc.

thats true nobody has said it other then a poster, im just saying not playing a rookie on the opening night seems odd to me. He made the team he should play not be kept on for meetings etc.

Well, 12 other forwards were better, or at least 9 were since he doesn't really fit a bottom 3 role like Prust.  Sutter is playing on the wing, due to McCann playing center.  Anyway, it makes no difference to me, since we are playing them opening night.  Send in Baertschi or Virtanen or whoever.

Well, 12 other forwards were better, or at least 9 were since he doesn't really fit a bottom 3 role like Prust.  Sutter is playing on the wing, due to McCann playing center.  Anyway, it makes no difference to me, since we are playing them opening night.  Send in Baertschi or Virtanen or whoever.

I dont disagree with you, it would have been like monahan making the team and then not playing opening night or anything like that. 

Im looking forward to the game tonight regardless.

Virtanen took a puck to the eye during pre-season (deflected off his face and scored).  Apparently stitches near the eye area.  I think they are just taking precautions and letting it heal before he gets back into action. 

Virtanen took a puck to the eye during pre-season (deflected off his face and scored).  Apparently stitches near the eye area.  I think they are just taking precautions and letting it heal before he gets back into action. 

ahhh see that makes more sense, thanks people.