The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Hockey_Canada1

Discussion & Debate Thread: Flames and Canucks

54 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I just see parallels to how the two teams are built. They have their versions of Johnny and Monny, And Backs, and then a lighter Tkachuk. Where we are up is Lindholm. 

I think the D is better than expected over there. They have a fairly solid top 4 when Tanev And Edler are healthy. 

they have a heavier bottom 6, and the team is trying and ours isn’t.

I think last year's results is closer to what this year will end up, not how teams are fairing right now.

Not really a surprise, been the knock on Baertschi his whole career and it's what started the problems here. 

Although I do find those comments funny given the Canucks are paying Eriksson 6 million for 1 goal and the main reason they can't move him is they signed him to a bad deal. 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Not really a surprise, been the knock on Baertschi his whole career and it's what started the problems here. 

Although I do find those comments funny given the Canucks are paying Eriksson 6 million for 1 goal and the main reason they can't move him is they signed him to a bad deal. 

Both are Benning mistakes.

One plays gritty with no finish, the other with (some) finish and no grit.

Knocking some rust off..got my account back...

Apologies in advance.

48 minutes ago, DL44 said:

Knocking some rust off..got my account back...

Apologies in advance.

You must have waiting for the Nucks to be relevent.

Count down to Nucks falling back down the standings.

14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You must have waiting for the Nucks to be relevent.

Count down to Nucks falling back down the standings.

Worked out nicely that way eh...

Lost access with switch in late 2016ish... Tried to get it back in early 2017, couldn't.. then had my third kid in May '17... And life's been a gong show since... Just stayed on HF..

Randomly took a shot in dark with a PM to a mod when I picked up an old iPad with this forum in its favorites... and Voila! Here I be.

I do like how one of my last posts was along the lines of the Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson line should be a top tier line.  That alone would of justified 3 yrs of shame.

... Is Derf still around?

1 hour ago, DL44 said:

Lost access with switch in late 2016ish... Tried to get it back in early 2017, couldn't.. then had my third kid in May '17... And life's been a gong show since... Just stayed on HF..

Randomly took a shot in dark with a PM to a mod when I picked up an old iPad with this forum in its favorites... and Voila! Here I be.

I do like how one of my last posts was along the lines of the Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson line should be a top tier line.  That alone would of justified 3 yrs of shame.

... Is Derf still around?

I think he's been gone longer than you.

Don't get a lot of Nuck fans here, but we tend to debate their successes.

30 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think he's been gone longer than you.

Don't get a lot of Nuck fans here, but we tend to debate their successes.

Don't get a lot of fans, period.

But it's part of the charm.

6 hours ago, DL44 said:

You picked a good time.  Flames vs Canucks actually mean something in the standings again.

That Pettersson kid is freakin amazing.  You guys lucked out big time considering how average Hischier and Patrick have been.  Quinn seems like a good one too.

Anyways, both teams are on the up and up and it's a great time for the rivalry to be reborn.

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

You picked a good time.  Flames vs Canucks actually mean something in the standings again.

That Pettersson kid is freakin amazing.  You guys lucked out big time considering how average Hischier and Patrick have been.  Quinn seems like a good one too.

Anyways, both teams are on the up and up and it's a great time for the rivalry to be reborn.

Now now Peeps....

I didn't come back for you guys to gush all over my team and tell me how great it is.

I came back so I could do that. Albeit in a more subtle and jabbing manner to annoy everyone. ;)

But yeah... Interesting times indeed with how balanced the division is.. unprecedented. Every team is thinking the same thing... If we can just go on a bit of a run here.. we'll be ok.. 

No. Unlikely, cuz with 5 teams... Chances are at least one other is matching said run. So it should be a great month of musical chairs ... Hopefully ending with Canucks sitting in the final chair when the music stops.

31 minutes ago, DL44 said:

Now now Peeps....

I didn't come back for you guys to gush all over my team and tell me how great it is.

I came back so I could do that. Albeit in a more subtle and jabbing manner to annoy everyone. ;)

But yeah... Interesting times indeed with how balanced the division is.. unprecedented. Every team is thinking the same thing... If we can just go on a bit of a run here.. we'll be ok.. 

No. Unlikely, cuz with 5 teams... Chances are at least one other is matching said run. So it should be a great month of musical chairs ... Hopefully ending with Canucks sitting in the final chair when the music stops.

Don't worry, the Nucks will find a way to drop 7 in a row.

Probably shortly after the break.

Expectations are high now, and that rarely works out for the team.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Don't worry, the Nucks will find a way to drop 7 in a row.

Probably shortly after the break.

Expectations are high now, and that rarely works out for the team.

They gotta lose the first one before they lose the seventh.

PP has been struggling.. PK was having a tough time... D giving up a lot of chances up until the last few games..  but still winning. 

Would be nice to see our special teams return to early season effectiveness. Sutter returns to help the PK... We'll see if the difference he's shown continues.

If those things improve, we might be able to go on a real run along side which ever other team in the PAC is making their run...

Flames perhaps? They got a run in them?

2 hours ago, DL44 said:

Every team is thinking the same thing... If we can just go on a bit of a run here.. we'll be ok.. 

That's a bit of contrast of expectations actually.  The Canucks haven't been in the playoffs for awhile so the fan base can't wait to get back in again.  The Flames on the other hand, don't look as good to their fans as last season and many fans including myself are not optimistic about our playoff chances and our playoff run if we even get in.

Considering how good we were in the regular season last year and still lost in the first round, it's clear we are worse this year so why should we expect to get to round 2 this time around?

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

That's a bit of contrast of expectations actually.  The Canucks haven't been in the playoffs for awhile so the fan base can't wait to get back in again.  The Flames on the other hand, don't look as good to their fans as last season and many fans including myself are not optimistic about our playoff chances and our playoff run if we even get in.

Considering how good we were in the regular season last year and still lost in the first round, it's clear we are worse this year so why should we expect to get to round 2 this time around?

This season is much different than last...

Every team in the Pacific has a realistic path to the 3rd round this year...

All 5 of these teams are on the same tier (slight edge to VGK).  Depending on how the free falling Jets respond and what Nashville is able to muster, we should/could be looking at all 5 Pac teams making it... 

Once in the playoffs...  every potential Pac series will be a toss up right now.

we have 30 games for some dust to settle... That's A LOT of hockey.  We don't know where the turns lie for each team....

Injuries being the key one... every team will suffer for em... who gets hit hardest? 

Whose been hit hardest already and therefore likely to run just from getting bodies back?

Cgy, VGK changed coaches - what will be the longer term effects of that?

Goaltending trends. Special Teams trends. Scoring trends. Goal differential trends. 

TDL coming up as well...

This has been the most entertaining race I can remember watching unfold.

22 hours ago, DL44 said:

This season is much different than last...

Every team in the Pacific has a realistic path to the 3rd round this year...

All 5 of these teams are on the same tier (slight edge to VGK).  Depending on how the free falling Jets respond and what Nashville is able to muster, we should/could be looking at all 5 Pac teams making it... 

Once in the playoffs...  every potential Pac series will be a toss up right now.

we have 30 games for some dust to settle... That's A LOT of hockey.  We don't know where the turns lie for each team....

Injuries being the key one... every team will suffer for em... who gets hit hardest? 

Whose been hit hardest already and therefore likely to run just from getting bodies back?

Cgy, VGK changed coaches - what will be the longer term effects of that?

Goaltending trends. Special Teams trends. Scoring trends. Goal differential trends. 

TDL coming up as well...

This has been the most entertaining race I can remember watching unfold.

We have fans debating if we should blow up the core.  You guys are excited about the playoffs?

13 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Heck, I didn't even think our team looked as good as they had "shown" last season. I didn't buy into the hype once last year. They seemed to be skating around disinterested teams like they bored them to death in the first 10-15 minutes of every game and then was like, here we are! Half of the runs they were on were games where they should have looked better but won. We can look back at stats and be like, no, it says here they held the puck longer than the other team, they outshot them by a wide margin and heck, they even had this many high danger chances. But looking at what we have these past few games, it looks like we wildly outplayed our opponents and the numbers make Price look great when he just had to be average to get a shutout yet made 31 saves, and in the ottawa game, they made 42 saves.

I think the teams are quite on par and thought that at the beginning. Each team might even have the better players in different positions actually.

In no way am I saying these players are equal, just who they would match up against in what they bring. Maybe others have other ideas?

Gaudreau - Pettersson

Monahan - Boesser

Lindholm - Horvat

Tkachuk - Miller?

Backlund - Sutter/Leivo

Mangiapane - Virtanen

Dube - Pearson

Bennett - Roussel

Jankowski - Beagle

Ryan - Beagle

Brodie - Hughes

Giordano - Edler

Hanifin - Tanev

Hamonic - Myers

Andersson - Stecher

Kylington - Fantenberg

Rittich - Markstrom

Talbot - Demko

Others?

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

We have fans debating if we should blow up the core.  You guys are excited about the playoffs?

I am. Can't speak anyone else in the fanbase. 

I'll make the reminder now.. I don't rep the Canuck fanbase.  I happen to be a Canuck fan.  People will inevitably brush my opinion as "Canuck fans think.."  - They'll be technically incorrect.  

But, Yes. I'm excited about a potential playoff berth.  
I also understand your trepidation. Its all relative isn't it. Last yr was the yr of career yrs and the best Flames season in 30, to.. this.

I think the nucks have a team better built for playoff hockey than regular season. 

The beauty of the Pac 5... every team is flawed in some manner. (barring WC crossovers) 2 of these 5 flawed teams HAVE to make it to the second round... one of them HAS to make the 3rd round.  Every fanbase has portion that loves to point to every reason it won't be their team.  I'm excited it could be mine. 

17 hours ago, cross16 said:

Damn Ferland, this sucks. Hopefully he takes care of himself. 

Even though he's a Canucks right now, he's still one of my favorite Flames of all time.  Wish him all the best.

20 hours ago, cross16 said:

Another setback for Ferland with concussion problems is not a good sign...   I know we all wish him well, and hope he's ok...

On 2/14/2020 at 9:31 PM, cross16 said:

He should get shut down for the rest of the year... as much as the canucks could use a guy like him, its not worth it.  His health has to come first.

13 minutes ago, TheAce said:

He should get shut down for the rest of the year... as much as the canucks could use a guy like him, its not worth it.  His health has to come first.

I think he should contemplate shutting it down for good.  Not saying because he's a Canuck, he's a guy that has had a lot of obstacles to get that contract and I was happy for him to get that contract.  But CTE has shown some scary stuff and I'd like to see the guy raise his family without further complications.

12 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I think he should contemplate shutting it down for good.  Not saying because he's a Canuck, he's a guy that has had a lot of obstacles to get that contract and I was happy for him to get that contract.  But CTE has shown some scary stuff and I'd like to see the guy raise his family without further complications.

I agree.... if he has missed this much time already then it is a pretty severe case and its not worth it. He can stay on LTIR and still collect his contract and the canucks can still use that cap space so business wise, it wont hurt anyone. If Ferland comes back , his game will be affected because he would be hesitant to continue playing the role he is best at ( crashing banging, dropping the gloves once in a while )