The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Hockey_Canada1

Discussion & Debate Thread: Flames and Canucks

[quote name='Hockey_Canada1 wrote:

Codes']
Anyway, I would never do a sig bet with you, because I'd sooner kill myself than have a Canucks sig on my account_2.

roll.gif

Not very confident, eh?

I'll take ya up on a bet.  I think the stats for the flames defensively are going to be a heck alot more solid overall.  I'm even going to suggest that we would be ranked top ten in GAA, SoGA, and Save %.

Sjostrom replaces Primeau on the penalty kill, thats what he was specifically picked  up for.  Him and Blair Betts formed the best penalty kill in the league last year with the Rangers, I see no difference here.  We can throw in Nystrom, Glencross, any of those to penalty kill and I expect our PK to stay about where it is give or take a couple of spots.  With the focus on defense and the system put in place, our GAA WILL improve to top ten.  From where you're sitting, you may not see it, but by the end of next year, it will be.  I think Flames fans are in better position to judge their team's style of play from the past few years as we've watched alot of their games and you just notice little things that are different in their play style.  Their playstyle will be different this year under Sutter.

I think you misread my post DL44. I was merely pointing out the fact that there WILL be differences in the way the Flames play this year under Sutter than under Keenan and that Flames fans are more likely going to notice those changes then a Canucks fan.

As for Shutdown Ds and whatever..

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=581414

or

http://forum.canucks.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=248064&view=findpost&p=7709392

I'm off to bed, g'night!

They played AWESOME, murdered Chicago... played some exciting and nose to the grind stone hockey! That's with Mitchell, Salo and Bieksa out of the line up! As soon as the Flames get all their guys back we'll see them play this kind of hockey!... eyes.gif

Randomness and a great goaltender makes a huge difference.

I'm not saying the Canucks don't get full marks for their effort, but Chicago threw 45 shots at the Canucks.

On another night, with the same effort, Chaicago might win that game 5-1.

It wasn't total domination, it's one of those games that happens.

Bieksa VS Bouwmeester?

Burrows VS Iginla?

Are these two even real? Are there even any Canucks fans that think this is a balanced comparison?

[quote name='cmp0420 wrote:

ren1 wrote:

Dusty_Foot_Philosopher']Bieksa VS Bouwmeester?

Burrows VS Iginla?

Are these two even real? Are there even any Canucks fans that think this is a balanced comparison?

Bieksa did outscore bouwmeester 43 - 42 in ten less games while playing a more physical style and holding a better plus minus, with a better contract too.

I guess that's why Bieksa was invited to the Olympics and Bouwmeester wasn't, right?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but one of the most effective lines for the flames at one point was Bourque, Glencross and Bertuzzi
You are wrong. It was Bourque, Langkow, Bertuzzi.

[quote name='The_Don wrote:

ALMACfan']our D is better, JBO and Phaneuf with the shot, kipper and luongo both earn their pay, and Calgary will beat the canucks this year in the regular season and post season wins..

wantsa bet?

I'm totally down for a Flames-Canucks sig bet.

shall we compare defensive cores now? :lol:
For sure!

Ours is still the best in the league, and as an added bonus it doesn't bring us $3 million over the cap.

Still? When was it ever the best?

When we signed Bouwmeester. Seems everyone outside Vancouver thinks the same thing. Maybe they should've asked some Canucks fans what they think first?

[quote name='Hockey_Canada1 wrote:

ren1 wrote:

Hockey_Canada1']Still? When was it ever the best?

When we signed Bouwmeester. Seems everyone outside Vancouver thinks the same thing. Maybe they should've asked some Canucks fans what they think first?

Like I said, hockey is not played in July. They haven't been the best because there is nothing to be the best of.

Then why are you asking to compare D-cores? If you ask me to compare now, I (and most of the rest of the hockey world) will say that ours is still better. If you want to wait for the season, don't bring it up and imply that yours is now on par with ours. What am I missing here?

Am I not allowed to argue against your self-proclamation of best in the league?

Not if your argument is that the Canucks' D is better, no. Good luck finding anyone outside of BC who agrees with you, especially since it remains to be seen how Gillis plans to get back under the cap.

Except our defences our pretty much even, with Vancouver's depth pushing them a little ahead.

You forget that your always overrated defence was terrible last year, lost Aucoin and Vandermeer, and improved a little by signing Bouwmeester. The Canucks on the other handsubtracted the slow and aging Ohlund from their top-10 defence last year, and added Ehrhoff, Schneider and Lukowich, two of which have Cup-winning experience compared to Jay who has never even be able to get Florida into the playoffs.

It's gonna be another slaughter come October 1.

I liked you better before you were an annoying troll. thumbdown.gif

Comparison of Changes so far this off season..

Calgary Out: Cammalleri, Bertuzzi, Aucoin, Vandermeer, Leopold, Keenan

Calgary In: Bouwmeester, Dawes, McGratten, Kronwall, Sjostrom (Backlund), Sutter

Vancouver Out: Sundin, Pyatt, Ohlund, Vaananen, Davidson, Labarbra, Sanford

Vancouver In: Samuelsson, (Rypien), Schneider, Ehrhoff, Lukowich, Rycroft (Hodgson)

Add any i missed.... i ignored the AHL fodder - Jaffary's and Krog's of the lineup...

So far I'm liking the upgrades. I'm wondering exactly what Gillis means by we don't have to move anyone to get under the cap... but i have to assume it's a Demitra injury.

If so, it'll open up a spot for guys like Raymond and Grabner to show what they can do in a top 6 role.

anyways... just a quick update to the significant changes the teams have had so far...

You forgot Stralman and Stuart in and Primeau out. I have a feeling Kronwall is going to be catching a plane to Abbotsford after getting Stralman.

In 67 games together (including 10 playoff games), the Sedins+Burrows line has scored as so:

Henrik - 27 goals, 65 assists, 92 points

Daniel - 24 goals, 56 assists, 80 points

Alex - 37 goals, 22 assists, 59 points

Total - 88 goals, 143 assists, 231 points

Insane.

yes the hockey world is surely a cruel and sadistic one when a trio of weiners  like that are having success  in the home of fan doltdom... I mean how can anyone pull for a guy like Alex Burrows ?? He is  Sean Avery lightsick.gifsick.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gif  Cansucks...soccer team on skates

[quote name='The_Don wrote:

native_YYC wrote:

The_Don']In 67 games together (including 10 playoff games), the Sedins+Burrows line has scored as so:

Henrik - 27 goals, 65 assists, 92 points

Daniel - 24 goals, 56 assists, 80 points

Alex - 37 goals, 22 assists, 59 points

Total - 88 goals, 143 assists, 231 points

Insane.

yes the hockey world is surely a cruel and sadistic one when a trio of weiners  like that are having success  in the home of fan doltdom... I mean how can anyone pull for a guy like Alex Burrows ?? He is  Sean Avery light
sick.gifsick.gifembarassed.gifembarassed.gif
  Cansucks...soccer team on skates

How sad is it that you are trailing a bunch of wiener soccer players in the standings?

No dol ..  oops  I mean Don... its cruel and sadistic.... to have to watch the antics of  Burrows and Kesler  is sad. I really enjoy watching Kesler feign the high stick , doubled over heading for the bench, as though he was shot in the face...then magically on the power play the next shift. Thats academy award winning stuff..sick.gifsick.gifsick.gifsick.gif

LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Nice to see 7 gearing up for the playoffs.

Pulled again !  eek.gifembarassed.gifhappy.gif  I especially like Kesler's comment post game " I don't like starting my shift on the PK" ...last time I checked there is no "I" in team .... to bad he will bolt to a U.S based team in the off season..( it will give me one less player to despise on that team) I wonder how the Schmucks like playing half the game short handed with borderline/phantom calls ?

must...turn ...........off  .......

computer...................sick.gifsick.gifsick.gifsick.gifsick.gifsick.gifsick.gifsick.gifsick.gifsick.gifsick.gif

Sigh..... it looks like we can add Vancouver to the list of Washington and Chicago for high offensive teams that have very questionable goaltending

Now if the dive master and his hair pulling buddy could start sucking....smile.gif