The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Hockey_Canada1

Discussion & Debate Thread: Flames and Canucks

[quote name='pross wrote:

Goatwhore90']You wanna know a funny stat? the canucks have never won a stanley cup in a 40 year excistance.

/laughter.

Will win one before you win another because the flames are awful and Sutter is a brutal GM.

You're like a really bad mosquito. I guess I gotta get out the troll spray..... eyes.gif

258Troll_spray.jpg

Canucks win streak pushes to 7, Flames losing streak snapped at 9. I wonder if the Canucks can surpass what Calgary posted but, you know, wins and not losses.

Though, the Flames should really beat and NHL team before their streak can be considered really snapped.

Aha it's funny that you mention that when the Canucks scraped by the Maple Leafs. If it wasn't for Burrows SHG, the Canucks would have lost. That was the turning point IMO in the game.

[quote name='Kristian_Huselius wrote:

The_Don']New sig bet?

Sedin + Sedin vs. Kotalik alone?

Based on PIM and Game Ejections?

Kotalik FTW!! roll.gif

Luongo didn't look good, but he was also hung out to dry a lot today.

HURRY BACK MITCHELL!!!

Both Luongo and Brodeur have struggled at times lately, go Fleury?

I'm sure it's nothing. I think they'll both be great in the Olympics. Looks like they will split duties the first two games and whoever outplays the other will likely get the rest of the games in the tournament. Go Canada! Let's drop our rivals between the Nucks and Flames for two weeks as we cheer Canada to gold!

A goalie is only as good as the team in front of him

Dominik Hasek says hi. Czech Republic wasn't even close to being favoured to medal in Nagano, and Hasek literally carried them to a gold medal.

I still believe it's gonna be Bouwmeester lol. He's an all-star. One average season doesn't mean he's an average player. If he finds his game he's top 5 in NHL all-around defenceman. You will see this year will be different, he will look like he did a year ago.
If Bouwmeester bounces back next season, he's one of the top defensemen in the league. That's why he was so highly touted back in 09 just prior to free agency, teams needed his poise on the blueline.

He had a bad season last year, but if I can recall what Jay Feaster said about him, he said something like this:

"90% of players struggle after signing a big contract"

You know why I think Bouwmeester will bounce back? He's no longer competing for ice time with Phaneuf, he'll get more PP minutes and the entire Flames organization has a new mentality going into this season. Everyone was disappointed with last year, and that should only add fuel to the fire as there will be players trying to redeem themselves for a mediocre season. They will be determined to make amends for last year, and I don't see why Bouwmeester can't do the same. 

If we see the Bouwmeester from his Florida days, which is certainly possible, the sky's the limit. Bouwmeester CAN be a Norris defenseman.

Bringing up another topic...

Heritage Classics featuring the Flames = 1

Heritage Classics featuring the Canucks = 0

Oh yeah..... rockon.gif

Alright, new debate. 

Who has the uglier uniform, the Canucks home jersey from the 80's, or the Flames Heritage Classic jersey?

playerinsideclassicjers.jpg                  canucksjersey.jpg

I dunno, it's a pretty tough one to call.... 

our D is better, JBO and Phaneuf with the shot, kipper and luongo both earn their pay, and Calgary will beat the canucks this year in the regular season and post season wins..

Awww, do you Flames not want to congratulate the Canucks on another successful season? Making congratulatory threads for factual achievements is offsides here? lol...

[quote name='bigchief wrote:

CehNehDeh']Awww, do you Flames not want to congratulate the Canucks on
another successful season?
Making congratulatory threads for factual achievements is offsides here? lol...

Keep your celebrations of your "successful seasons" within this existing thread and try to make it discussion worthy or it will disappear.

Would you have deleted a , say, NE Division congrats thread? Be honest with yourself. That WAS discussion worthy BTW. SO many things have gone WRONG for the Canucks it would've been EASY to have credible banter back and forth. Your board your rules though so whatever.

[quote name='Chairman_Maouth wrote:

CehNehDeh']Awww, do you Flames not want to congratulate the Canucks on another successful season? Making congratulatory threads for factual achievements is offsides here? lol...

If I were a mod here I would tell you that a Canucks fan making a Canucks congratulatory thread on the Flames board after the Flames have gone through a difficult season is simply asking for trouble. No one likes gloating in the face of the opposition. I'd also tell you that rival fans are allowed a little less leeway than Flames fans. That's understandable when trollish behaviour like yours is taken into consideration.

Now speaking as Chairman Maouth....

I know you and you are one of most despicable Canucks fans I've ever had the displeasure of running into. You made that thread here simply to spite me because I called you to task for making the exact same thread on the Wild board. You involved me and my respected friends here in your little vendetta out of spite at the same time as you ridiculed the Flames team on the Wild board, and at the same time as you told everyone on the Wild board that you were going to make the exact same post on the "Lames" board. The quotation marks on "Lames" are there because that's what you said.

In short, piss off Gilligan. I respect the people around here and I don't appreciate you making me part of your agenda here. 
I'm a regular, longtime poster at the WMB. I've paid my dues their and most people there appreciate my input when things get "serious". that is, defacto, MY board and I am a board veteran. I simply did the same thing here that you did there. Turnaround isnt fair play huh?

Maybe next time you'll keep your trap shut as I'm sure you werent overly pleased with the fact you didnt garner the support there that you attempted to get.

Anyways....

As for a Detroit matchup: My heart tells me the Canucks would win, my head says no freaking way, one and done.  Injuries are a crappy cop out but in the case of the Wings I truly feel had they not suffered the early, lengthy injuries they did this season they'd be fighting for top spot in the West. That team is so bloody well structured and run, the cream of the entire NHL. *ughh*

[quote name='IgBoPhanKipReg wrote:

CehNehDeh']Awww, do you Flames not want to congratulate the Canucks on
another successful season?

Only a Canuck fan would equate a successful season with making the playoffs.

In my world, the only successful season results in a Stanley Cup and 29 other teams have unsuccessful seasons.

Isn't that the truth? ESPECIALLY after 40 years of futility. Thank god I can play the Vancouver Millionaires card!

[quote name='Kristian_Huselius wrote:

CehNehDeh wrote:

IgBoPhanKipReg']Only a Canuck fan would equate a successful season with making the playoffs.

In my world, the only successful season results in a Stanley Cup and 29 other teams have unsuccessful seasons.

Isn't that the truth? ESPECIALLY after 40 years of futility. Thank god I can play the Vancouver Millionaires card!

You could play that card, like the other tools who come here tooting their own horn. When in reality everyone knows the Canucks are amongst one of the least successful franchises in all sports history.

There are 2 teams in the NHL alone who have had less success than the Canucks in the last 50 years. That's just one league. (The Millionaires reference was a joke BTW....the exclamation mark should've given you a clue)

[quote name='TheAce wrote:

LewisD91']Any canucks fans worried that you have to play Detroit in the first round? Almost a week ago it looked like it was gonna be van vs col. Then the wings just turned it on. Plus Howard's looking real good down the stretch. That will be one hell of a series.

I think anyone who wouldnt be worried is a liar...... They still have a chance to pass Nashville but the Preds arent much easier. It should be a good series if it is Wings vs Canucks......

Ehrhoff left the last nights game early and may have a sprained knee..... not a good sign being down 2 of your top D-men in the playoffs.....

Exactly. I thought I had posted pretty much the same thing when that Q was posed. Not only are the Wings HOT and perennial winners but we have the HUGE question mark that is Roberto Luongo. Worst season by FAR in a Canucks uni....ughh

I'm going to pray for the near impossible and hope that Luongo has a 180 degree turnaround.

I'm going to go ahead and parrot Maouth: Rest all the core guys possible with the exception of the Sedin line. Luongo should also be given the last 2 games off. It's not like starting over and over has helped him this year anyways. Maybe a week away from game action is what he needs. (Or maybe nothing will help him this season, we'll see)

Yeah, let's go with Raycroft in the playoffs.
roll.gif Let's hope this puts any "debate" on who starts in the Playoffs to rest. I was shocked with how many callers on Taylor and Pratt today were endorsing Raycroft.

Only 4 GAA still better than Ro8erto 7uongo.

Oh well if any game goes to OT in the playoffs you know Raycroft will get a few minutes when 7 has to take a dump.

I kinda forgot that this isnt the first year that Luongo has shat the bed. roll.gif

What a weird game.

San Jose dominates play in the first two periods. They have a 4-0 lead in the third, and decide to initiate some goonery. Starts with Nichol double-cross-checking Samuelsson. Scrum ensues. Then Blake cross-checks Daniel. Scrum ensues. Then McGinn says something and gets a misconduct. Scrum ensues. Then Thornton jumps Burrows after a hit. Scrum ensues. Then Wallin respons to a Kesler hit. They fight and a scrum ensues. Long story short after 66 minutes in penalties handed out in just a minute and a half of hockey, the Canucks get some PP's a score two quick ones. The Sharks could have easily coasted to an emotionless 4-0 win. But instead they woke the Canucks up. It didn't ultimately come back to bite them this time, but I think if they meet in the playoffs this match-up will fare better for the Canucks than the Sharks.

If only we had any of Rypien, Hordichuk or Glass in tonight.

A scrum ensues? tongue.gif

The main thing to me is that Henrik got a point, which was the only point of this game in the first place. I desperately want him to get 2 points against the Flames on Saturday to tie the franchise record with Pavel Bure. 3 points? Even better! Scoring title? Better yet!