The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Hockey_Canada1

Discussion & Debate Thread: Flames and Canucks

As for the Rypien incident, it was just a stupid moment by a guy who should know better. Clearly he's frustrated, understandable, but you gotta keep you head a little better. The wierd part was he was ties up with the linesman in front of the Canucks bench, and the Canucks players as well as AV seemed like they were trying to pry them apart. The Ryp proceeds down the tunnel to meet an obnoxious fan that he wasn't going to take any abuse from.

The fan obviously must have said something, but didn't do anything.  Rypien was way out of line and will/should certainly get suspended.  You can say that it's understandable that he was frustrated, but come on, that was a totally uncalled for, Charleston-Chiefs-esque move.  Redonkulous.

[quote name='The_Don wrote:

Kristian_Huselius wrote:

The_Don']And KH comes in a ruins another stretch of positive hockey debate. Well done.

Thanks for BMo also. He is pretty crappy but we like him for being on pace for 80+ points.

I'm glad your happy that a player that wasn't good enough to make our team is your team's best player.

I'm going to give you some credit and assume this was an attempt at humour.

[quote name='C_worthy wrote:

The_Don']

As for the Rypien incident, it was just a stupid moment by a guy who should know better. Clearly he's frustrated, understandable, but you gotta keep you head a little better. The wierd part was he was ties up with the linesman in front of the Canucks bench, and the Canucks players as well as AV seemed like they were trying to pry them apart.
The Ryp proceeds down the tunnel to meet an obnoxious fan that he wasn't going to take any abuse from.

The fan obviously must have said something, but didn't do anything.  Rypien was way out of line and will/should certainly get suspended.  You can say that it's understandable that he was frustrated, but come on, that was a totally uncalled for, Charleston-Chiefs-esque move.  Redonkulous.

I wasn't defending the actions whatsoever. Very stupid of him no matter what the fan said of gestures he made. Unless he lays a hand on you first you have no right to lay a hand on him. Suspension should be coming and rightfully so.

C_worthy wrote:

The_Don']Yes, and Edler does all that while having 37 and 42 point seasons as a 23 and 24 year old. He finished 20th in defenceman scoring last year while Giordano was 47th with 30 points.

And Edler's physicality is just now catching up to the rest of his game and his body. By season's end, he will be the Canucks best defenceman and looked at as one of the best in the league.

I'd be willing to throw a bet out right now that he gets more Norris votes than any Flame.

Edler has not, as of yet, shown a physical game anywhere near where Gio's game is.

And as I said before, if Gio were playing on the PP with the sisters last year, I believe he would have easily had over 40 pts. 

As for Norris votes, unfortunately (IMO) it is heavily influenced by pts.  So, unless the Flames improve their goal scoring substantially, there won't be many Norris votes cast their way.  (Just saying that shows how stupid the Norris voting is).

He hasn't on a consistent basis, no. But at started down the stretch last year and into the playoffs, and he has picked up where he left off so far this season. Like I said, his physicality is just now catching up with him. Give him a couple years and we'll see what kind of physical force he can be.

So, are you sayign the only reason Edler got to 40+ points is because he played on the PP with the Sedins? Because he actually played on the 2nd unit alot, with Bieksa getting top unit time as well as Salo with Ehrhoff. And if you think they are even points wise off the PP, Edler stills outscores him 23 to 16.

1) get back to us when he does because Gio is already doing everything really well.

2) No, that's not what I am saying.  What I am saying is that if Gio were playing on a team that scores like the Nucks do and involves the D as well as the sisters do, he would easily be a 40+ pt guy.

[quote name='C_worthy wrote:

The_Don wrote:

C_worthy']

Edler has not, as of yet, shown a physical game anywhere near where Gio's game is.

And as I said before, if Gio were playing on the PP with the sisters last year, I believe he would have easily had over 40 pts. 

As for Norris votes, unfortunately (IMO) it is heavily influenced by pts.  So, unless the Flames improve their goal scoring substantially, there won't be many Norris votes cast their way.  (Just saying that shows how stupid the Norris voting is).

He hasn't on a consistent basis, no
. But at started down the stretch last year and into the playoffs, and he has picked up where he left off so far this season. Like I said, his physicality is just now catching up with him. Give him a couple years and we'll see what kind of physical force he can be.

So, are you sayign the only reason Edler got to 40+ points is because he played on the PP with the Sedins
? Because he actually played on the 2nd unit alot, with Bieksa getting top unit time as well as Salo with Ehrhoff. And if you think they are even points wise off the PP, Edler stills outscores him 23 to 16.

1) get back to us when he does because Gio is already doing everything really well.

2) No, that's not what I am saying.  What I am saying is that if Gio were playing on a team that scores like the Nucks do and involves the D as well as the sisters do, he would easily be a 40+ pt guy.

- OK. I'll get back to you before the end of the season I imagine. I'm sure Giordano is as perfect as you make him sounds as well.

- If if's and buts were candy and nuts. You ever thought that Edler is actually a big part of the offence, and not just a tag-along? Get back to me when Gio QB's the PP as effectively as Edler.

Well... only good thing about tonight was the canucks outscored the flames ... too bad they weren't playin em... uggg.

NO energy at all tonight.... dressed a D containing our 7th, 8th and 9th Dmen. rough.

Sedins looked ok.

Minny's PP is awesome.

Bright spot for Vancouver, Cory Schneider had a shut out in relief.

Of course it was 6-1 by then so Minny probably wasn't pushing as hard.

First Staubitz single handedly dismantles a line, then Rypien throws punches at him OVER the ref, then tries to fight a fan.

Way to stay classy Vancouver.

Just wondering, do you know who the mayor of Vancouver is?

Bright spot for Vancouver, Cory Schneider had a shut out in relief.

Schneider looked pretty good actually. Minny had some good chances to add to the 6 goals because of some sloppy play in their own end and Cory Schneider made some good saves, he moves laterally really well and stays positionally sound under pressure.

After 3 home and 2 road games for the Flames, 3 home and 3 road games for the Nucks...

GAA / SA/G / PK

Flames: 7th 6th 5th

Nucks:  18th 16th 22nd

offense is of course a completely different story

- OK. I'll get back to you before the end of the season I imagine. I'm sure Giordano is as perfect as you make him sounds as well.

- If if's and buts were candy and nuts. You ever thought that Edler is actually a big part of the offence, and not just a tag-along? Get back to me when Gio QB's the PP as effectively as Edler.

He already does.  His poise and patience with the puck on the offensive nlueline is as good as any D-man in the league right now (though I know you will scoff).   Unfortunately, the boys he hangs with can't put the biscuit in the basket.

seems unfair that the fans got kicked out

they didnt... they actually were moved a couple rows behind the net.....

Kristian_Huselius']First Staubitz single handedly dismantles a line, then Rypien throws punches at him OVER the ref, then tries to fight a fan.

Hmm, I am not sure now that 7uongo was stripped of the title over the summer. Oh did I say I am not sure? I meant I don't care, but I am sure it is JC or someone else who is better than my Mayor.

[quote name='bigchief wrote:

Flyerfan52']Bright spot for Vancouver, Cory Schneider had a shut out in relief.

Schneider looked pretty good actually. Minny had some good chances to add to the 6 goals because of some sloppy play in their own end and Cory Schneider made some good saves, he moves laterally really well and stays positionally sound under pressure.

Actually Schneider looks more than good, I think he looks way better than Luongo. I guess I will have to make sure I spell his name right now. He played the full game against the Canes in which the Nucks owned the Canes despite being outshot by them. 

He got peppered with 33 shots and only let in one goal. The Nucks won the game like 5-1 I think and Schneider was a big part of it. He looks super sharp in net over two appearances now. 

[quote name='Kristian_Huselius wrote:

The_Don wrote:

Kristian_Huselius']First Staubitz single handedly dismantles a line, then Rypien throws punches at him OVER the ref, then tries to fight a fan.

Hmm, I am not sure now that 7uongo was stripped of the title over the summer. Oh did I say I am not sure? I meant I don't care, but I am sure it is JC or someone else who is better than my Mayor.

It actually doesn't matter who it is. But rather what the position is. If anyone represents the people of Vancouver with hos actions, it's the elected official voted on by the people of Vancouver, not a 4th line player on one of the cities many sports teams. That is all.

Stay Classy KH.

[quote name='Flame111 wrote:

bigchief wrote:

Flyerfan52']Bright spot for Vancouver, Cory Schneider had a shut out in relief.

Actually Schneider looks more than good, I think he looks way better than Luongo. I guess I will have to make sure I spell his name right now. He played the full game against the Canes in which the Nucks owned the Canes despite being outshot by them. 

He got peppered with 33 shots and only let in one goal. The Nucks won the game like 5-1 I think and Schneider was a big part of it. He looks super sharp in net over two appearances now. 

I've wanted Schneider out of their organization for a few years now. He was excellent with the Moose & is too good to be a backup.

I've heard the Canucks had decent offers the last couple of seasons but were asking more then teams were willing to part with for what was an AHL goalie.

He's still young so I hope he gets traded to a team that will give him the chance to start.

[quote name='Flyerfan52 wrote:

Flame111 wrote:

bigchief']Schneider looked pretty good actually. Minny had some good chances to add to the 6 goals because of some sloppy play in their own end and Cory Schneider made some good saves, he moves laterally really well and stays positionally sound under pressure.

He got peppered with 33 shots
and only let in one goal. The Nucks won the game like 5-1 I think and Schneider was a big part of it. He looks super sharp in net over two appearances now. 

I've wanted Schneider out of their organization for a few years now. He was excellent with the Moose & is too good to be a backup.

I've heard the Canucks had decent offers the last couple of seasons but were asking more then teams were willing to part with for what was an AHL goalie.

He's still young so I hope he gets traded to a team that will give him the chance to start.The issue with an asset like Schneider is that there are a lot of good young goalies around the league right now.

The return for him is just not going to be that significant at all..
i.e. look at the Niemi case for one...
look at the backups of the Preds, Caps, Hawks, Leafs, Wild, Sens, Kings, Thrashers...

Even the Canucks and Flames have a couple unproven but promising potential in Lack and Karlsson...
All teams with young promising looking keepers starting to scoop some starts.

That's not even considering some of the veteran talent still floating around...

No reason to expect a big return considering there should be a medium market demand combined with surplus supply of tenders to pluck from...
he would need to rip it up....

And flame111... he hardly got "peppered" in the carolina game.  Only a handful of their chances could you even consider dangerous. The D kept most shots coming in from the outside...  Thought you watched it based on your earlier post?

[quote name='DL44 wrote:

Flyerfan52 wrote:

Flame111']Actually Schneider looks more than good, I think he looks way better than Luongo. I guess I will have to make sure I spell his name right now. He played the full game against the Canes in which the Nucks owned the Canes despite being outshot by them. 

He got peppered with 33 shots
and only let in one goal. The Nucks won the game like 5-1 I think and Schneider was a big part of it. He looks super sharp in net over two appearances now. 

I've
heard the Canucks had decent offers the last couple of seasons
but were asking more then teams were willing to part with for what was an AHL goalie.

He's still young so I hope he gets traded to a team that will give him the chance to start.
The issue with an asset like Schneider is that there are a lot of good young goalies around the league right now.
look at the backups of the Preds, Caps, Hawks, Leafs, Wild, Sens, Kings, Thrashers...

Even the Canucks and Flames have a couple unproven but promising potential in Lack and Karlsson...

No reason to expect a big return considering there should be a medium market demand combined with surplus supply of tenders to pluck from...

And flame111... he hardly got "peppered" in the carolina game.  Only a handful of their chances could you even consider dangerous. The D kept most shots coming in from the outside...  Thought you watched it based on your earlier post?
I agree it wouldn't make sense to trade him for a limited return but I will find it interesting if he starts competing with Lou for more starts.

[quote name='bigchief wrote:

DL44 wrote:

Flyerfan52']

I've
heard the Canucks had decent offers the last couple of seasons
but were asking more then teams were willing to part with for what was an AHL goalie.

The issue with an asset like Schneider is that there are a lot of good young goalies around the league right now.

I agree it wouldn't make sense to trade him for a limited return but I will find it interesting if he starts competing with Lou for more starts.

He won't be competing with Luongo for starts. He will be getting his share of starts regardless.

If the Canucks lose in a bad way tonight things could really get ugly. I'm looking forward to see that happen tongue.gif

If the Canucks lose in a bad way tonight things could really get ugly. I'm looking forward to see that happen tongue.gif

Ugly for who? The phone lines on the morning sports show? Yeah. The Canucks message Board? Of course. Other than that, I don't see anything else getting "ugly". Do you mean AV's job may be in jeopardy or that a roster shake-up is on order? Not after 7 games in October which are ALWAYS lack luster for the Canucks anyways.

Louis23']If the Canucks lose in a bad way tonight things could really get ugly. I'm looking forward to see that happen
tongue.gif

Ugly for who? The phone lines on the morning sports show? Yeah. The Canucks message Board? Of course. Other than that, I don't see anything else getting "ugly". Do you mean AV's job may be in jeopardy or that a roster shake-up is on order? Not after 7 games in October which are ALWAYS lack luster for the Canucks anyways.

Sorry Don, I had to do it. I hate it as much as you do, but when it's against the Nucks I just love it.roll.gif

And Yeah, I was talking about the media pressure towards the team. If they don't let this affect them, they will be fine. It's always tough to not read the newspaper even if you're a player though.