The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Hockey_Canada1

Discussion & Debate Thread: Flames and Canucks

I was kind of sad to see it was 7uongo who only allowed 2 goals against the Hawks. I am cheering for Schneider to take over the starting role. Honestly my Canuck hate is based solely on how overrated 7 is. If he lost his starting position and was shoveled to the minors or something I wouldn't care how good the Nucks did. 

I was kind of sad to see it was 7uongo who only allowed 2 goals against the Hawks. I am cheering for Schneider to take over the starting role. Honestly my Canuck hate is based solely on how overrated 7 is. If he lost his starting position and was shoveled to the minors or something I wouldn't care how good the Nucks did. 
Don't forget about Burrows...and Bieksa.....and Kesler.....and........

[quote name='bigchief wrote:

Kristian_Huselius']I was kind of sad to see it was 7uongo who only allowed 2 goals against the Hawks. I am cheering for Schneider to take over the starting role. Honestly my Canuck hate is based solely on how overrated 7 is. If he lost his starting position and was shoveled to the minors or something I wouldn't care how good the Nucks did. 

Don't forget about Burrows...and Bieksa.....and Kesler.....and........

Those are all little spin offs of hatred. 7uongo is the leader, take him down first and the rest will follow.

Luongo allowed 1 goal, silly.

[quote name='The_Don wrote:

Kristian_Huselius']I was kind of sad to see it was 7uongo who only allowed 2 goals against the Hawks. I am cheering for Schneider to take over the starting role. Honestly my Canuck hate is based solely on how overrated 7 is. If he lost his starting position and was shoveled to the minors or something I wouldn't care how good the Nucks did. 

Luongo allowed 1 goal, silly.

Technically. He allowed 4.

a 1 goal, 0.92GAA, 0.969 SV% performance...

It was a great bounce back game.

Thank god there are no shootouts in the playoffs!  Unlucky with 2 slippery lil suckers getting thru..

One of those games where you don't mind... took it to them for parts of the game down the stretch... 2nd and 3rd line looked very good, top line didn't because of Hansen.
AV finally figured out to disrupt just one line, instead 3 by reuniting Raymond-Kesler-Samuelsson : Kesler looked dangerous for the 1st time in a couple.
also reunited Shaeffer-Malhotra-Torres : proving to be a very effective line.

The holes on D are still there... but hamhius is back next game..

... but they've gotta start putting some wins up... 2 outta 7... matter of time

[quote name='DL44 wrote:

Flyerfan52 wrote:

Flame111']Actually Schneider looks more than good, I think he looks way better than Luongo. I guess I will have to make sure I spell his name right now. He played the full game against the Canes in which the Nucks owned the Canes despite being outshot by them. 

He got peppered with 33 shots
and only let in one goal. The Nucks won the game like 5-1 I think and Schneider was a big part of it. He looks super sharp in net over two appearances now. 

I've wanted Schneider out of their organization for a few years now. He was excellent with the Moose & is too good to be a backup.

I've
heard the Canucks had decent offers the last couple of seasons
but were asking more then teams were willing to part with for what was an AHL goalie.

He's still young so I hope he gets traded to a team that will give him the chance to start.
The issue with an asset like Schneider is that there are a lot of good young goalies around the league right now.
The return for him is just not going to be that significant at all..
i.e. look at the Niemi case for one...
look at the backups of the Preds, Caps, Hawks, Leafs, Wild, Sens, Kings, Thrashers...

Even the Canucks and Flames have a couple unproven but promising potential in Lack and Karlsson...
All teams with young promising looking keepers starting to scoop some starts.

That's not even considering some of the veteran talent still floating around...

No reason to expect a big return considering there should be a medium market demand combined with surplus supply of tenders to pluck from...
he would need to rip it up....

And flame111... he hardly got "peppered" in the carolina game.  Only a handful of their chances could you even consider dangerous. The D kept most shots coming in from the outside...  Thought you watched it based on your earlier post?
I did watch the whole game. 33 shots is peppered in my lingo. He was positioned well on all of them. Perimeter or not. I did see Staal drive hard to the net at least twice as well - so it was not all clear unscreened easy shots. 

But if you think for a G to be credited with a good game he has to be sprawling around and showing off his saves with Pad Stacks and flailing arms I guess it was just a normal game. In my mind a really good night in Net is never being out of position and making it look easy. 

Maybe I am overvaluing what I saw because I had zero expectation from the kid and actually half expected the Nucks to lose to the Canes without Luo in net. 

But as a side bar given the surplus of quality G in the League now it appears teams like the Nucks & Flames are behind the times tieing up big money in Tenders. I still think Kipper is worth every penny but the Wing mantra of pulling Cap from the pipes and putting it up front and on D appears to be the future of the NHL...

Kipper's contract is up in 2013/14 BUT Luo isn't up until 2018/19 at the earliest assuming he doesn't play out the full term which is almost a gaurantee...

Luo is looking like he could be a huge sandbag Cap contract in Net. A Cross to carry for the Nucks for almost a decade, ironically he may be what prevents them from the Cup. The Nucks could be completely out of sync with the rest of the NHL for years and Luo is absolutely untradable at that price if the trend for 2-3 million dollar starting G continues.

^ NORMALLY.. when the term "peppered" is used in hockey terms, its referring to a shooting gallery or numerous high quality chances...

neither of which are applicable to the game Schneider played vs Carolina.  The players themselves and coaches stated the shot totals were misleading.

But you've clarified you're referring to just the number '33' without context...
no problem... po-tay-toe, po-ta-toe...

$5.3 mil cap hit is hardly a 'sandbag cap contract'.

Edited: to add bolding for extra emphasis.

[quote name='Flame111 wrote:

DL44 wrote:

Flyerfan52']

I've wanted Schneider out of their organization for a few years now. He was excellent with the Moose & is too good to be a backup.

I've
heard the Canucks had decent offers the last couple of seasons
but were asking more then teams were willing to part with for what was an AHL goalie.

He's still young so I hope he gets traded to a team that will give him the chance to start.

The issue with an asset like Schneider is that there are a lot of good young goalies around the league right now.
The return for him is just not going to be that significant at all..
i.e. look at the Niemi case for one...
look at the backups of the Preds, Caps, Hawks, Leafs, Wild, Sens, Kings, Thrashers...

Even the Canucks and Flames have a couple unproven but promising potential in Lack and Karlsson...
All teams with young promising looking keepers starting to scoop some starts.

That's not even considering some of the veteran talent still floating around...

No reason to expect a big return considering there should be a medium market demand combined with surplus supply of tenders to pluck from...
he would need to rip it up....

And flame111... he hardly got "peppered" in the carolina game.  Only a handful of their chances could you even consider dangerous. The D kept most shots coming in from the outside...  Thought you watched it based on your earlier post?
I did watch the whole game. 33 shots is peppered in my lingo. He was positioned well on all of them. Perimeter or not. I did see Staal drive hard to the net at least twice as well - so it was not all clear unscreened easy shots. 

But if you think for a G to be credited with a good game he has to be sprawling around and showing off his saves with Pad Stacks and flailing arms I guess it was just a normal game. In my mind a really good night in Net is never being out of position and making it look easy. 

Maybe I am overvaluing what I saw because I had zero expectation from the kid and actually half expected the Nucks to lose to the Canes without Luo in net. 

But as a side bar given the surplus of quality G in the League now it appears teams like the Nucks & Flames are behind the times tieing up big money in Tenders. I still think Kipper is worth every penny but the Wing mantra of pulling Cap from the pipes and putting it up front and on D appears to be the future of the NHL...

Kipper's contract is up in 2013/14 BUT Luo isn't up until 2018/19 at the earliest assuming he doesn't play out the full term which is almost a gaurantee...

Luo is looking like he could be a huge sandbag Cap contract in Net. A Cross to carry for the Nucks for almost a decade, ironically he may be what prevents them from the Cup. The Nucks could be completely out of sync with the rest of the NHL for years and Luo is absolutely untradable at that price if the trend for 2-3 million dollar starting G continues.

Actually, I don't think his contract is that un-trade-able. His cap hit will still be big, yes, but his salary will be low. Many teams that have lower budgets and have tons of cap space could take him in.

^ NORMALLY.. when the term "peppered" is used in hockey terms, its referring to a shooting gallery or numerous high quality chances...
neither of which are applicable to the game Schneider played vs Carolina.  The players themselves and coaches stated the shot totals were misleading.

But you've clarified you're referring to just the number '33' without context...
no problem... po-tay-toe, po-ta-toe...

$5.3 mil cap hit is hardly a 'sandbag cap contract'.

Edited: to add bolding for extra emphasis.
laugh.gif DL44 - I think you are already getting PMSS (Pre Missing Stanley Syndrome). Calling me out for bolding my post. laugh.gif I always write too much in my posts and I often bold parts of it just to make it easier for others to glance past them and still get my main points.

Another solid performance from Schneider last night. The Nucks are undefeated so far when he starts. His SV% is .968 over three games and he has only allowed 2 goals on 63 shots plus he got an assist.

On 7uongo, well I am not going to bother putting up his stats. He is off to a lame start for his pay and expectation and no way around that. That is a G who you are paying big bucks to bring you that extra point in OT and it isn't there this season. If the goal is to win the Conference which should be a reasonable goal of the Nucks this year they are not going to do it if they do not snag that extra point out of OT. 

Edit: Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible. You are also discouraged from having discussions centering around personal lives of these individuals, such as who they are dating, what bar you've seen them at, or anything else which may be considered inappropriate.

The good ol' return of the numbers comparison...

This isn't as interesting as it was 2 seasons ago when teams were neck and neck in most categories.. but interesting none the less for those who love the numbers like i do...

feel free to add what other stats or comparison stats you think would be interesting...

The Canucks after 10 games... (Flames in brackets - after 11 of course.)

Canucks 5-3-2, 12 pts, 2nd in the NW, 9th in the West, 16th overall (6-5, 12 pts, 3rd, 10th, 17th)

Point %

10 gms: 0.600, 10th (17th)

G/gm

10 gms: 2.70, 18th (13th)

GA/gm

10 gms: 2.20, 3rd (22nd)

PP %

10 gms: 21.0%, 9th (25th)

PK %

10 gms: 84.6, 13th (19th)

PP G

10 gms: 8, 10th (19th)

PP GA

10 gms: 6, 9th (16th)

SoG

10 gms: 30.5, 17th (10th)

SoGA

10 gms: 30.7, 18th (9th)

+/-

10 gms: +3, 10th (15th)

Faceoffs

10 gms: 56.5, 1st (23rd)

Hits

10 gms: 257, 9th (19th)

Blocked Shots

10 gms: 144, 18th (15th)

Giveaways

10 gms: 58, 5th (25th)

Takeaways

10 gms: 81, 8th (11th)

Shootout

Van: 0-2

Cal: 1-0

This is really weird. Where am I? In limbo?

edit: Oh a few pages back there were only my posts. I thought I was in Dusty_Foot_Philosopher world. Also, I'm fairly sure I'm still banned for saying the Flames are old and slow, and that Atlanta has a lot of Black players (a story that was picked up by several media outlets; of course I was contacted and received a copyright fee).

On topic, Canucks look good, Flames look bad.

As everyone knows, Van has won 6 in a row, Flames have lost 4.

Vancouver's next 5...

@ Habs, @ Sens, @ Leafs, @ Sabres, @ Pens.

Flames's next 5...

@ Avs, @ Yotes, @ Sharks, v Yotes, v Hawks

So what happens first..

Van loss or Flames win?

And when?

Vancouver's next 5...

Flames's next 5...

So what happens first..

Van loss or Flames win?

And when?

Vancouver:

Habs - loss

Sens - win

Leafs - win

Sabres - loss

Pens - loss

Flames:

Avs - loss

Yotes - loss

Sharks - loss

Yotes - win

Hawks - win

And yes, I do realize what I am predicting.

Vancouver's next 5...

Flames's next 5...

So what happens first..

Van loss or Flames win?

And when?

Wow...that is a relatively easy eastern swing for the Nucks. They should come out of that with at least 4 of 5 wins. Only team there who will give them a good run is Pittsburgh. Not saying they will be blowouts but Nucks should be able to take Habs, Leafs, Sens, and Buffalo.

Flames win will come first. I think we will lose to Avalanche again on Tuesday, get a win in Pheonix, lose to the Sharks, win again vs Pheonix, and lose to the Hawks. Finishing these 5 with a 2-3 record.

There's no question that Vancouver is the far superior team, I do have an issues with Vans schedule though. Like getting Detroit on their 3rd game in 4 nights after 2 competitive games in Calgary and Edmonton? There's been other cases where Van gets tired teams. I swear they get more than most teams. They're an excellent team though as much as I hate to say it...should be right there to win the West.

Wow...that is a relatively easy eastern swing for the Nucks. They should come out of that with at least 4 of 5 wins. Only team there who will give them a good run is Pittsburgh. Not saying they will be blowouts but Nucks should be able to take Habs, Leafs, Sens, and Buffalo.

Flames win will come first. I think we will lose to Avalanche again on Tuesday, get a win in Pheonix, lose to the Sharks, win again vs Pheonix, and lose to the Hawks. Finishing these 5 with a 2-3 record.

There's no question that Vancouver is the far superior team, I do have an issues with Vans schedule though. Like getting Detroit on their 3rd game in 4 nights after 2 competitive games in Calgary and Edmonton? There's been other cases where Van gets tired teams. I swear they get more than most teams. They're an excellent team though as much as I hate to say it...should be right there to win the West.

That type of stuff balances out over a course of a season somewhat when it comes to the western Canadian swing for teams... edm and cal both also reap the benefits the exact same way.

And i wish i shared your level of expectations about the canuck's trip.

It was also the Canucks 4th game in 6 nights.

Stay tuned for an Alex Edler vs. Mark Giordano comparison coming up.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

Edler vs. Giordano comparison

Each stat is accompanied with their rank on their respective team in that category

Stat	    Edler	   Giordano
GP:	    13 (T1)	   13 (T1)
G:	     1 (T2)	    1 (T1)
A:	     9 (1)	    4 (1)
P:	    10 (1)	    5 (1)
+/-:	    -1 (4)	   +1 (3)
PIM:	     4 (5)	   13 (1)
TOI:	 24:58 (1)	22:16 (2)
SHTOI:	  2:01 (4)	 2:34 (3)
PPTOI:	  3:41 (1)	 4:01 (2)
PPG:	     1 (2)	    1 (T1)
PPA:	     5 (1)	    4 (1)
BS:	    29 (1)	   33 (1)
HITS:	    26 (2)	   25 (2)
GA:	     7 (4)	    4 (3)
TA:	     6 (2)	    2 (T2)
Shots Att.  49 (2)	   50 (1)
Shots	    32 (1)	   31 (1)

Pretty good comparison, pretty close with these numbers. A couple things stand out to me. One is how much Edler has played. He is actually 11th in the entire NHL. The other thing is that Giordano doesn't have a single point even strength, everything has come on the PP.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

Edler vs. Giordano comparison

Each stat is accompanied with their rank on their respective team in that category

Stat	    Edler	   Giordano
GP:	    13 (T1)	   13 (T1)
G:	     1 (T2)	    1 (T1)
A:	     9 (1)	    4 (1)
P:	    10 (1)	    5 (1)
+/-:	    -1 (4)	   +1 (3)
PIM:	     4 (5)	   13 (1)
TOI:	 24:58 (1)	22:16 (2)
SHTOI:	  2:01 (4)	 2:34 (3)
PPTOI:	  3:41 (1)	 4:01 (2)
PPG:	     1 (2)	    1 (T1)
PPA:	     5 (1)	    4 (1)
BS:	    29 (1)	   33 (1)
HITS:	    26 (2)	   25 (2)
GA:	     7 (4)	    4 (3)
TA:	     6 (2)	    2 (T2)
Shots Att.  49 (2)	   50 (1)
Shots	    32 (1)	   31 (1)

Pretty good comparison, pretty close with these numbers. A couple things stand out to me. One is how much Edler has played. He is actually 11th in the entire NHL. The other thing is that Giordano doesn't have a single point even strength, everything has come on the PP.

Not really surprised. These teams are heading in two completely opposite directions. Vancouver is expected to contend for the West title and make a long playoff run (hopefully not TOO long), while Calgary is just hoping to squeak into the playoffs. Vancouvers players will have better stats across the board for sure, I don't really think this means Edler is a better player, he just plays for a much better team. One interesting note however is that Edler is still a -1 despite his 10 points as Giordano has a +1 and no points himself even strength.

Not really surprised. These teams are heading in two completely opposite directions. Vancouver is expected to contend for the West title and make a long playoff run (hopefully not TOO long), while Calgary is just hoping to squeak into the playoffs. Vancouvers players will have better stats across the board for sure, I don't really think this means Edler is a better player, he just plays for a much better team. One interesting note however is that Edler is still a -1 despite his 10 points as Giordano has a +1 and no points himself even strength.

Sounds like a cop out. :P

You can't deny that the numbers will reflect the player and not just the team he plays for. Otherwise Aaron Rome's numbers would be better than that of Giordano.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

Sounds like a cop out. :P

You can't deny that the numbers will reflect the player and not just the team he plays for. Otherwise Aaron Rome's numbers would be better than that of Giordano.

How is it a copout? I think it's more common sense than anything.

You're a defenseman, who do you want to be playing for if you're looking for points? A team that boasts these forwards....

D.Sedin, H.Sedin, Burrows, Kesler, Raymond, Samuelsson....

Or

Iginla, Tanguay, Stajan, Bourque, Hagman, Morrison

I don't think anyone could argue that Vancouver boasts a much more potent offense, especially with Iginla really on the decline. As a defenseman you're going to have a much better opportunity to get points with super skilled guys in there to put the puck in the net off your shot/papple, or get the puck back to the point for you.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

Giordano and Edler are pretty close to equal in my mind. Edler has the edge offensively while Gio is better defensively and uses his body more consistent.

If Playoff Edler ever becomes everyday Edler, Canucks would have a beast of player on their hands.

here's hoping/expecting at 24 that that is still to be a strong possibility for the kid.

6 goal burst for Vancouver... all at even strength.

Great support scoring.

Sedins get benched for sloppy play and turnovers, but still manage 4 pts (6pts for the line).

So it looked like it worked out for AV there.

I love the way he keeps his players accountable...

not afraid to bench his 2 best players (and captain)...

not afraid to healthy scratch Ballard...

Players respect that. And they respond.

We'll see Ballard's conditioning improves once he gets back... but the team and the Sedins responded...