The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Hockey_Canada1

Discussion & Debate Thread: Flames and Canucks

So Edler is having back surgery and is out indefinitely.

Two questions to the Nuck faithful:

1) any word on how long he is expected to be out?

2) what impact do you think it will have on the D and the team? Obviously, he was playing really well and was having a breakout season. I don't see all the Nuck games of course, but IMO he was your best D-man this year (my apologies if that was a BGO - a blatant glimpse of the obvious). Certainly a key to the PP. Has to be a pretty big hole in the lineup.

It is a huge loss. He was playing fantastic hockey. Our best d-man for sure.

It is the same surgery Bolland had last season. He missed 2 1/2 months I think. I am cautiously optimistic that he can return for the playoffs, but the cautious part is that he will come back at 100%.

The silver lining is that when Salo is ready, we won't have to move a major piece to fit him under the cap. Let's just hope he is ready sooner than later.

• Like 1
  • Angry 3

It is the same surgery Bolland had last season. He missed 2 1/2 months I think. I am cautiously optimistic that he can return for the playoffs, but the cautious part is that he will come back at 100%.

The silver lining is that when Salo is ready, we won't have to move a major piece to fit him under the cap. Let's just hope he is ready sooner than later.

That's actually one Hell of a silver lining.

Huge.

Massive.

Huge.

Massive.

That's what she said. :)

Yes but who is going to step in when Salo breaks his arm while peeling a carrot?

Huge.

Massive.

And that only delays the problem. Once they are both available - assuming that eventually happens - then there will be serious cap issues.

And right before having to face the Flames in the playoffs!

Huge.

Massive.

You can have Staios for a 2nd round pick. Given how brittle your d-men are, you're going to need him.

^_^

And that only delays the problem. Once they are both available - assuming that eventually happens - then there will be serious cap issues.

Not if Edler is done for the regular season, as it sounds like he is, and comes back just in time for the playoffs.

The trouble with that is, even with a conditioning stint post LTIR, it'll take some time to get back up to game speed.

It is a big silver lining, but it is still no where near ideal.

And right before having to face the Flames in the playoffs!

Yup... nothing has changed in that regard since the 1st game of the season has been played.

Canuck fan is extremely interested to see how everything goes down when everyone is healthy and ready to go..

Hasn't happened yet... and won't happen for the next couple months either.

This Defense that Gillis has put together is DEEP.... with Edler, Salo, Alberts AND Rome OUT.... The Canucks still have a top 4 of Hamhuis, Bieksa, Ballard, and Ehrhoff... extremely respectable right now.

With proper cap juggling, management, and luck the Canucks could be starting the Stanley Cup Playoffs with a top 6 D-corps that looks like:

Edler-Ehrhoff

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Ballard-Salo

Just in time to face the Flames in the playoffs!

Dare to Dream boys... Dare. To. Dream.

With proper cap juggling, management, and luck the Canucks could be starting the Stanley Cup Playoffs with a top 6 D-corps that looks like:

Edler-Ehrhoff

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Ballard-Salo

Just in time to face the Flames in the playoffs!

Dare to Dream boys... Dare. To. Dream.

I look forward to it as well!

In all seriousness, another Nuck-Flame series would be epic!

And, (even if he is a Nuck), I sincerely hope Edler is ok and back in the lineup soon.

Yes but who is going to step in when Salo breaks his arm while peeling a carrot?

Hahaha nice one. But you gotta admit him playing that game last year in the playoffs with a ruptured testicle was pretty impressive.

Hahaha nice one. But you gotta admit him playing that game last year in the playoffs with a ruptured testicle was pretty impressive.

That definitely takes balls! Literally. Poor guy.

We get our first NHL viewing of Hodgson tomorrow!

Any idea what line he's on or who sits? The hometown papers only mention him being called up as it hurts the Moose. TSN didn't have more either.

Any idea what line he's on or who sits? The hometown papers only mention him being called up as it hurts the Moose. TSN didn't have more either.

He is centering the 4th line between Glass and Tambellini.

Canucks and Kesler keep rolling. Kes now has 30 on the season! Shot at 50 and perhaps the Rockey Richard? That would require a decent injury to Stamkos, but you never know... :)

Also, Daniel Sedin just one point behind Stamkos is points. You all laughed at me when I suggested that Daniel would finish second in Hart voting because he would likely split votes with his brother. He is now 5 points up on Henrik. :lol:

Luongo stats:

Wins: 24 (5th, 1 behind a tie for 1st)

GAA: 2.22 (7th)

SV%: .926 (4th)

SO: 3 (10th)

Say what you want about how you think he stuggles in big games yadda yadda.... but you can't deny that he is back to form from 06/07. In fact, his numbers are better than that season. Oh man what a difference a solid back-up makes!

Oh yeah, Cody Hodgson scores his 1st goal in his 2nd game!!

Canucks and Kesler keep rolling. Kes now has 30 on the season! Shot at 50 and perhaps the Rockey Richard? That would require a decent injury to Stamkos, but you never know... :)

Also, Daniel Sedin just one point behind Stamkos is points. You all laughed at me when I suggested that Daniel would finish second in Hart voting because he would likely split votes with his brother. He is now 5 points up on Henrik. :lol:

Luongo stats:

Wins: 24 (5th, 1 behind a tie for 1st)

GAA: 2.22 (7th)

SV%: .926 (4th)

SO: 3 (10th)

Say what you want about how you think he stuggles in big games yadda yadda.... but you can't deny that he is back to form from 06/07. In fact, his numbers are better than that season. Oh man what a difference a solid back-up makes!

Oh yeah, Cody Hodgson scores his 1st goal in his 2nd game!!

I think giving up the Captaincy has a lot to do with Luongo's performance this year, that's why I wanted him to keep the "C". Schneider is good but it's hard to say if Luongo will get mind bent if it comes down to any competition at the playoffs. It may not matter to the Canucks, Schneider looks pretty good, still I think Lou has a fragile spot in that noodle of his and it makes me laugh when someone seems to find it. You gotta focus on the small pleasures sometimes. Oh how I hope the Canucks fail in the playoffs. And if the Flames get a chance to have a say in Vancouver's destiny, that could be great.

I think giving up the Captaincy has a lot to do with Luongo's performance this year, that's why I wanted him to keep the "C". Schneider is good but it's hard to say if Luongo will get mind bent if it comes down to any competition at the playoffs. It may not matter to the Canucks, Schneider looks pretty good, still I think Lou has a fragile spot in that noodle of his and it makes me laugh when someone seems to find it. You gotta focus on the small pleasures sometimes. Oh how I hope the Canucks fail in the playoffs. And if the Flames get a chance to have a say in Vancouver's destiny, that could be great.

I would say the C is third on the list of differences for Luongo this season. #1 being changing his style and his work with Malonson and #2 being Schneider.

Jeopardy-Don.gif

Yeah.... it's time for bed. But you're not gonna come tuck me in? :(

There's so much talk about how much depth the Canucks have this season. Well the Flames are going through the same thing with injuries but we've been playing through them.

I like to make some Similar comparisons between the two teams I've noticed this year.

Kesler is coming closer to having a similar skill set as Iggy. While he still doesn't have the pure snipper instincts, he is finding out a bigger offensive game to go with his defensive skills.

All around scoring for the Canucks. In the past they were highly reliant on the Sedins for any offensive production. This year they are getting it from all their lines even the 4th line. This is how it is in Calgary as well. We have spread out scoring from all our lines.

Consistent goaltending is better this year as Luongo seems to find his groove. This was always one of Calgary's strong points with Kipper in net.

What Canucks lack - a shut down defencemen like Regher, a number one skating defencemen like JayBo, a powerforward like Joks and young prospects like Backlund.

Other than that our teams are very similar. We're both even on winning streaks. Flames having the better one at 5. If Canucks are considered a cup contender, I don't see how Calgary can't be.