The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Hockey_Canada1

Discussion & Debate Thread: Flames and Canucks

Flames actually making a push somewhat in a couple statistical categories..

Didn't bother with the 50 gm comparison since it also seemed like trolling to keep rolling those numbers out.... but i will definitely post at the 60 game mark... should be really interesting to see what areas the Flames have progressed...

Flames are now all the way up 10th in pt percentage after being 15th in early December.

And the they rank 8th right now in points as well... 1st time in the playoff picture since... early Nov? not sure on that one.

It's an interesting time right now... Canucks and Flames are both ROLLING...

The one guy who doesn't have the focus on him this yr with Kesler, the Twins, and recently Samulsson (2nd star), and Burrows, and the defensive injuries grabbing all the headlines.... Roberto Luongo...

Luongo hasn't lost a game outright since Dec 5th...

15-0-5 since (12-0 in regulation, 1-2 in OT, 2-3 in SO)

1.91 GAA and a sick 0.938 Sv%

Having said all that... i think he's a little ill now... we'll see Schneider picks up a couple starts soon.

Ow ow owwwww...

Keith Ballard last night.

237843077q.jpg

Man that makes my stomach turn. Looking at the position of Ballard's foot in relation to his knee, I found myself in a very similar situation to that playing rec league hockey a couple of years ago. I was going hard after a loose puck and met the goalie there at the same time, and instinctively sort leaned backwards to avoid a massive collision (almost like I was trying to limbo under his outstretched blocker and stick), but at the same time a defenseman who was right on my tail hooked my foot underneath me so it got caught sideways under my butt the way you see Ballard's above. If your foot is in alignment with your knee you can sit on it and bend backwards all you want...but when it gets turned sideways like that your knee has no choice but to get all mangled up.

I was "lucky" to escape with a dislocated patella (kneecap), which was discovered after about a month in an ankle-to-thigh knee immobilizer and a $900 MRI. The doctors all expected to find torn up ligaments and surgical repairs necessary, which in the long run may have been better because I now have a kneecap that dislocates at the drop of a hat.

Hopefully Ballard's alright...any word on his condition yet?

MRI this afternoon... results should be in tomorrow morning...

Unless they wish to release it later this evening... unlikely.

I would imagine if the knee is structurally sound, there is a slightly greater chance they release the info tonight.

Very detailed picture indeed. I doubt the Canucks will struggle to much without him the way the rest of the defenceman have been playing.To bad the Canucks got rid of O'Brien.

Hopefully Ballard's alright...any word on his condition yet?

Awesome comment. :D

All things considered, looks like it could have been a lot worse.

GMMikeGillis Mike Gillis

Results of Ballard's MRI show a mild knee sprain. He will rehab with our training and medical staff. He is expected to be out 3-4 weeks.

25 minutes ago

Very detailed picture indeed. I doubt the Canucks will struggle to much without him the way the rest of the defenceman have been playing.To bad the Canucks got rid of O'Brien.

I don't miss him at all...

Love the guys potential, and what he could become... But don't miss the penalty minutes..

Awesome comment. :D

All things considered, looks like it could have been a lot worse.

GMMikeGillis Mike Gillis

Results of Ballard's MRI show a mild knee sprain. He will rehab with our training and medical staff. He is expected to be out 3-4 weeks.

25 minutes ago

Sounds very similar to what my prognosis ended up being, with as I said, roughly the same sort of twisting action. Along with the dislocation, I had sprained about every ligament there is, which is pretty much always the case when that kind of shearing force is in play. Of course I'm also in marginally inferior physical shape in comparison to professional athletes (:lol: ) and so the extra strength and flexibility Ballard has over me likely kept his kneecap from popping out of line. At any rate it's good to hear he's not in need of reconstructive surgery so he can be back in the lineup within a month.

Of course the other side of the coin is that when ligaments are sprained and stretched like that, they're nowhere near as strong as they were prior to the injury once they heal, so re-injuring it becomes easier and easier with each subsequent incident. And it doesn't have to be the same kind of situation where it's subjected to a gnarly twist and being fallen on; movements which never caused an issue before may now result in re-injury. Of course having some of the world's finest sports-specific medical and rehabilitation staff will definitely help, but that's just the nature of the beast.

That may sound obvious but I was surprised at how easily my injury re-occurred, even after 6 months of extensive rehab and strengthening, along with sports-specific braces and taping. My physiotherapist described ligaments as elastic bands that are just tight enough to hold everything together but after each injury which causes them to stretch they become about 50% more elastic. Anyway I'll quit rambling, fingers crossed for the guy.

I don't miss him at all...

Love the guys potential, and what he could become... But don't miss the penalty minutes..

haha yeah for sure, I know as a Canuck fan you don't miss him but as a Flames fan I sure miss him. Always seemed to get a penalty at the wrong time.

I'm honestly surprised Ballard hasn't taken a swing at Luongo yet. I guess we'll have to wait for the playoffs for Lou to fold to see it. :)

I'm honestly surprised Ballard hasn't taken a swing at Luongo yet. I guess we'll have to wait for the playoffs for Lou to fold to see it. :)

We've been lucky so far that Luongo hasn't disappointed him! The wrath of Ballard is definitely severe.

Good thing, he wouldn't get suspended for it since it's his own teammate... Heh

It's been an unusually long time since the last Flame suspension! Any dibs on whether it's Glencross or someone new next? :)

New comparison.... What number will be higher at the end of the yr: number of Canuck dmen who have missed 10 gms or number of Flames discipled by the league? Should be close... Heh heh...

We've been lucky so far that Luongo hasn't disappointed him! The wrath of Ballard is definitely severe.

Good thing, he wouldn't get suspended for it since it's his own teammate... Heh

It's been an unusually long time since the last Flame suspension! Any dibs on whether it's Glencross or someone new next? :)

New comparison.... What number will be higher at the end of the yr: number of Canuck dmen who have missed 10 gms or number of Flames discipled by the league? Should be close... Heh heh...

I'm betting on someone new. Bourque? Perhaps we see a Sarich hit that is a little off?

Another effing defenceman down. This time much dirtier than the last.

Getzlaf leaves his feet to hit Hamhuis right in numbers behind the net. He looked like he was out when he hit the ice but fortunately left on his feet. But feels like concussion.

• Angry 2

Getzlaf leaves his feet to hit Hamhuis right in numbers behind the net. He looked like he was out when he hit the ice but fortunately left on his feet. But feels like concussion.

I can't believe the Nucks lost tonight. I expected more from them. Honestly though you guys must be a little bit ok with losing tonight as winning would have been doing the Flames a massive favour. I know you want to win every game and every point matters but let's be real here the Canucks will probably walk away with top seed in the conference, and it should be a cakewalk at this point to wrap up the division.

Nice sig btw! :lol:

I can't believe the Nucks lost tonight. I expected more from them. Honestly though you guys must be a little bit ok with losing tonight as winning would have been doing the Flames a massive favour. I know you want to win every game and every point matters but let's be real here the Canucks will probably walk away with top seed in the conference, and it should be a cakewalk at this point to wrap up the division.

Nice sig btw! :lol:

Yeah, with how hot we've been for over 2 months now, can't argue with a loss here or there. First regulation loss at home since December 5th. It was a bit of an ugly game. Both teams were sloppy defensively. Just seemed lik they got the bounces and we didn't. Chances were probably even.

I am more worried about Hamhuis.

I just saw the hit on the highlights... did he miss the rest of the game? Hope he is OK, never like to see a guy hurt, no matter what the uniform says. Wish you guys could have won! You were the one team I would have picked as a shoe-in to do us a favor last night ;) Ah well, guess the Flames will have to do this themselves!

Thanks for nothing Vancouver, I hate you even more now. :angry:

Oh the echos.... I agree BC. I figured the 'nucks to help us out a little. I was even cheering for them (quietly) and what happens? They blow it. Conspiracy? Well Don? Is it? :ph34r:

I don't think it was a dirty hit -- at most it was a 2 minute minor for boarding. Hamhuis screwed up and turned his back on Getzlaf at the last second.

But yeah. Another D-man out apparently. Last night I was initially so pissed at Getzlaf that I wanted someone to murder him. Then, as I watched the replay a couple times I realized that Getz didn't do a lot wrong. Now I'm just super pissed at the bad luck the Canucks defence has. We're fortunate to have built up a pretty good cushion of points in the west because things could get a little rocky for awhile.

defencesurvivor.jpg

• Like 2

I don't think it was a dirty hit -- at most it was a 2 minute minor for boarding. Hamhuis screwed up and turned his back on Getzlaf at the last second.

But yeah. Another D-man out apparently. Last night I was initially so pissed at Getzlaf that I wanted someone to murder him. Then, as I watched the replay a couple times I realized that Getz didn't do a lot wrong. Now I'm just super pissed at the bad luck the Canucks defence has. We're fortunate to have built up a pretty good cushion of points in the west because things could get a little rocky for awhile.

defencesurvivor.jpg

I think that Survivor Sig is actually down to the finalists.

Ehrhoff vs Bieksa

Maybe Tanev has the "twist" late addition

Wow. Why are the Canucks so stinkin' good? You'd think with so many injuries on defense they'd slow down, but nope, they're still truckin' along.

We be hoggin defencemen. Gillis plans to trade for ALL the defencemen in the league at the deadline.

We be hoggin defencemen. Gillis plans to trade for ALL the defencemen in the league at the deadline.

Ooh ooh quick MG. Trade Cody Hodgson for Chris Phillips, that Grabner trade was so awesome, it redefined the entire meaning of awesome. :P

-_-