The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Hockey_Canada1

Discussion & Debate Thread: Flames and Canucks

We be hoggin defencemen. Gillis plans to trade for ALL the defencemen in the league at the deadline.

You'd probably be happier with a few better 1s though. Quality over quantity.

Ooh ooh quick MG. Trade Cody Hodgson for Chris Phillips, that Grabner trade was so awesome, it redefined the entire meaning of awesome. :P

-_-

I still got no problem with that trade - at all.

Gillis addressed our biggest weakness from last year - short on defence, and we got Ballard in the Grabner deal. Just the fact that we're the highest scoring team in the league without Grabner can really soothe any feelings about the current streak he's on. The team is well rounded and also first in goals against (thanks MG), so really, why would we need Grabner? We want to leave a little bit of cake for the rest of the NHL.

I know. There's nothing more insufferable than a cocky Canucks fan.

Ooh ooh quick MG. Trade Cody Hodgson for Chris Phillips, that Grabner trade was so awesome, it redefined the entire meaning of awesome. :P

-_-

If you want to ridicule anyone for the Grabner trade, you should shuffle on over to the Panthers board. If we didn't trade him, we likely would have lost him on waivers. His training camps were bad on a legendary scale.

I have to say though, if the Canucks weren't the #1 team in the NHL for points, goals for and goals against you may have a point. If Grabner is lighting it up 3 years from now we should be disappointed, but right now he isn't even close to what we need.

Short term Ballard was what Vancouver needed so Grabner wasn't too much to give up (even Florida waived him). The part that might come back to bite the Canucks is that !st rounder that turned into Howden.

Hodgson for Phillips would be a good move if they can make the cap work. Hodgson might turn into something but it will probably be @ the AHL level.

Short term Ballard was what Vancouver needed so Grabner wasn't too much to give up (even Florida waived him). The part that might come back to bite the Canucks is that !st rounder that turned into Howden.

Hodgson for Phillips would be a good move if they can make the cap work. Hodgson might turn into something but it will probably be @ the AHL level.

The thing is we are trying to win the cup now and for the next 4-5 years. By then, Grabner and Howden will likely be great NHLers, but neither will help us win the cup now as much as Ballard.

And you are GREATLY underestimating Hodgson's ability. You don't think he will be anything in the NHL??

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

Silent G for Phillips would be completed moronic. At least put some effort into trolling. My god, it seems to have become a lost art.

--

The Howden pick is totally meaningless. The Canucks had the choice of when they gave up a 1st. Pretty clear there wasn't anyone they wanted with the pick. For those unable to read between the lines, PM me and I'll explain it.

Dear Canucks,

Please defeat the Wild tonight. In regulation. No points and no hope for them. A reward of 1000 thanks will be sent to the Phone Booth for you.

Much obliged,

Flames Fans

Dear Canucks,

Please defeat the Wild tonight. In regulation. No points and no hope for them. A reward of 1000 thanks will be sent to the Phone Booth for you.

Much obliged,

Flames Fans

All my expectation are for a loss here tonight...

Everything screams loss to me...

- - It's a game i'll be able to sit at home and watch fully without visitors coming over to see the kid in awhile... (at least none scheduled). Got this feeling it will be ruined somehow.

- In Minny where they have killed us

- Starting Schneider i believe

- 3 of our D are Tanev, Rome, Sauve (who i'm excited to see)

I'll look at it as a win-win either way...

either way they're giving valuable experience to the depth that may be called upon in the playoffs.

If the Canucks win - they are a resilient bunch, who just banked another 2 points top the league standings.

If the Canucks lose - it screws Calgary a bit, forces the boys to re-focus and get into the groove of playing the tight solid game with the new guys that got them to #1 in the league in O, D and special teams..

I will be soooo stoked if we win tonight tho!

It will put me in a great mood... i need a great mood.

Dear Canucks,

Much obliged,

Flames Fans

You are welcome....

Same arrangement for Thursday, then???

You are welcome....

Same arrangement for Thursday, then???

Yes, that would be great. :)

Well......

It looks like it's happened again...

Kevin Bieksa... Possible broken foot. Initial xrays negative... Further testing to be done to search for hairline fractures...

Oberg pulled out of the Marlies gm... Possiblely called up.

Ehrhoff - Tanev

Sauve - Salo

Rome - Oberg

??????????

Beyond comical at this point.

The beauty is Bieksa, Alberts, Ballard, and Sweatt all have definite time timetables for returning...

Hamhius is apparently close...

And Edler's timeline is trickiest, but expectations are for a return prior to round 1...

It's all about weathering the storm now and then reap the benefits later of having a sick backend for the run I guess...

Face it, if you are a Canucks defensemen you should be very worried about catching the injury bug.

Its like a pandemic in Vancouver...

Yeah this is getting ridiculous.

I think the Nucks have built up enough of a cushion and are still a good enough team up front and in net that they should still be able to hold off Detroit for the top seed. They may lose a bit more regularly now than they have all season but I don't foresee them plummeting or anything.

• Like 1

LOL - Bieksa is out 3 weeks with small foot fracture.

Nucks have 5 of their Top 7 D out with injuries.

Keith Ballard - 3 to 4 weeks (knee sprain)

Alex Edler - out till playoffs (back surgery)

Dan Hamuis - indefinetly (concussion)

Anderw Alberts - 6 to 8 weeks (broken wrist)

Kevin Bieksa - 3 weeks - (fractured foot)

Ehrhoff & Salo are their only two Top 7 dmen available...and Salo just got back from major injury and is not yet back to playing to his full potential yet.

Bleak times ahead for the Canucks with these injuries.

In less than 3 weeks Nucks have went from having one of the top D corps in the league to the worst.

Face it, if you are a Canucks defensemen you should be very worried about catching the injury bug.

Its like a pandemic in Vancouver...

There was a great email/text read on the radio here, wish i could take credit for it...

Something along the lines of..

Ehrhoff must feel like the the last camper left in a Friday the 13th movie.. :lol:

Opening day Defense. (injured right now)

Ehrhoff - (Edler)

(Hamhuis) - (Bieksa)

(Ballard) - (Alberts)

One more road gm tonight vs Nashville which will be tough for AV to protect Oberg and Sauve... but then starts 6 straight at home with last change.

.500 would be phenomenal over this next stretch before Hamhuis and Ballard return.

What's been amazing and not talked about nearly as much as they deserve is the fact the Canucks keep winning without their D starters... very impressive and telling.

Bieksa going down may just break threshold tho... we'll see.

I'm expecting good things still....

What's also lucky is the 1st PP unit is still in tact for now..

Sedin-Sedin-Kesler

Ehrhoff-Samuelsson

and the 2nd is something like

Burrows-Malhotra-Torres/Tambellini

Salo-Raymond

The Canucks losing their defenceman is caused from the lack of resources in fitness trainers and medical staff. If the Canucks had support from their owners and fans that can get them the best fitness and medical trainers like Calgary Flames, maybe you guys wouldn't have as much injuries as you do now! Look at our DMan such as Regehr and JayBo. They both almost play 30 minutes each game yet are fully healthy. If the Canucks fans can spend a bit more money to support their team, maybe they can afford some top end staff! HAHAHAh

The Canucks losing their defenceman is caused from the lack of resources in fitness trainers and medical staff. If the Canucks had support from their owners and fans that can get them the best fitness and medical trainers like Calgary Flames, maybe you guys wouldn't have as much injuries as you do now! Look at our DMan such as Regehr and JayBo. They both almost play 30 minutes each game yet are fully healthy. If the Canucks fans can spend a bit more money to support their team, maybe they can afford some top end staff! HAHAHAh

Agree 100%...

More resources and trainers would of totally stopped pucks from breaking Bieksa and Sweatt's feet.

They could of bulked up the bones in the gym with the right trainers in place.

Same with the hit Alberts took against the boards that broke his wrist.. with proper Flames-like training, he could of just blasted thru the glass..

Or Ballard's knee... with the Flames trainers, he would of been much stronger and just powered thru without his skate getting caught under him... wimps.

Not to mention the famous Calgary anti-concussion brain strengthening workout regimen...

Quite the mickey mouse organization they got going on here... good thing none of the Flame key Dmen will go down the rest of yr! Thanks to their fan-supported fitness and medical staff.

GFG!

• Like 4

I think it's the left coast life-style... Those Nucks are all driving Prius' and eating tofu and sushi all the time. As a result, their bones have gotten soft.

The Flames defensemen drive SUVs and eat steak, which has lots of iron in it, so their bones remain strong.

• Like 3

I think it's the left coast life-style... Those Nucks are all driving Prius' and eating tofu and sushi all the time. As a result, their bones have gotten soft.

The Flames defensemen drive SUVs and eat steak, which has lots of iron in it, so their bones remain strong.

Not just regular SUVs - Luxary ones like BMW's and Benz! I've seen some the Flame's rides and their SICK!

Agree 100%...

More resources and trainers would of totally stopped pucks from breaking Bieksa and Sweatt's feet.

They could of bulked up the bones in the gym with the right trainers in place.

Same with the hit Alberts took against the boards that broke his wrist.. with proper Flames-like training, he could of just blasted thru the glass..

Or Ballard's knee... with the Flames trainers, he would of been much stronger and just powered thru without his skate getting caught under him... wimps.

Not to mention the famous Calgary anti-concussion brain strengthening workout regimen...

Quite the mickey mouse organization they got going on here... good thing none of the Flame key Dmen will go down the rest of yr! Thanks to their fan-supported fitness and medical staff.

GFG!

DL44 I'm just saying over here, we spend a ton of resources on little things like that, that possibly could be the reason why the Canucks are SOL with DMan going down.

• Angry 1

+1 :) Best post of the day.

• Like 1

Not just regular SUVs - Luxary ones like BMW's and Benz! I've seen some the Flame's rides and their SICK!

I'm thinking of looking into one of those luxury V6 Accords... you know.. upgrade my 5 series...

Know a dealer?

DL44 I'm just saying over here, we spend a ton of resources on little things like that, that possibly could be the reason why the Canucks are SOL with DMan going down.

But do you guys have glove warmers?

Or free tape for all the sticks?

We do.

AND they don't have to pay for sharpening their skates!

I'm thinking of looking into one of those luxury V6 Accords... you know.. upgrade my 5 series...

Know a dealer?

You'd have to drive to Calgary for that. Remember we only have used Kia dealerships in Vancouver.

You know one thing that all Albertans have in common. We love global warming.... :wub: