The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Hockey_Canada1

Discussion & Debate Thread: Flames and Canucks

The gold just keeps on coming from you! I'm kind of surprised none of the resident Canuck fans have ripped this apart yet, but then again they're probably just tired of entertaining you. I couldn't leave these two alone though, they're just priceless.

Glencross = D. Sedin...You have ZERO evidence on which to base your claim that Daniel's goals are inflated due to playing with Henrik. Regardless, only in your world is Glencross a smarter player than either Sedin...we're talking about two of the most cerebral players to ever play the game. Their hockey sense is off the charts. What's the number one knock on Glencross by Flames fans on these boards? That his mental game is weak. In addition, if you've ever watched them play, you would know that the Sedins are as good along the boards as anybody. Why do you think they're so effective offensively? Not only are they deadly on a rush in open ice, but they also turn cycles into goals better than any other line. You don't do that by being weak on the boards. The Sedins protect the puck and make a play from the boards as well as or better than anybody in the league. Regardless of who plays with who, you cannot compare a 240 goal scorer (D. Sedin's NHL regualr season total so far) to a 64 goal scorer (Glencross). It's beyond ridiculous.

Moss > H. Sedin. Ok, now I have officially seen it all in the world of hockey-related message board posts. You consistently claim that your posts are based on facts and evidence - tell me, what facts are you using that have mislead you in such a hilarious manner? Since when is a career depth forward better than the defending Art Ross and Hart trophy winner? Again if you even slightly paid attention to the game, you would know that when Daniel missed 20-odd games early last season with a broken foot, Henrik shut up all the critics who said that he was only a passer that couldn't produce without his brother by finding another gear altogether and doing the goal scoring himself. So your claim that "Henrik is only a passer" is flat out wrong. Without even going into their respective career stats, suffice to say that Henrik pisses David Moss when he wakes up hungover.

You sir are so far out to lunch there is no bringing you back. But thanks for the laugh.

Are you a Canucks Fan or something?

The Sedins are way over-rated. Why do you think every hockey fan in the world calls them the "Sisters"? Its cause they are so soft along the boards. They run around the ice in their dresses with the puck cause they are scared to get hit like a real man. The second any player touches them, they fumble the puck. I've actually watched them when they came to Calgary. During the warm up - Daniel was unable to score on even the back up goalie Cory Shaffer. Most of the goals he's getting right now are like open netters from his twin sister. That is the ONLY reason why he's got more goals than Glencross. Glencross actually has a way better snap and wrist shot than Daniel. He can snipe like the best of them. He always picks the corners during warm-ups and he's usually getting 30% of his warm-up shots in when shooting on Kipper. I will agree that its nice Daniel get himself into position for the open netters or empty netters more than Glencross. That's one thing that makes Daniel stand out more. All in all, if you took that away, they are similar players. Glencross's strength on the puck and boards makes me qualify them as near equal players.

It's funny you call me out to discuss Henrik Sedin. I challenge you to only consider that we're comparing goal scoring on both the teams (Canucks vs Flames). Yes I know he has won the Art Ross but here we're talking and comparing the goal scoring of both teams. I would rather have Moss over Henrik because Henrik is really just known for his passing. Without that part of his game, he's nothing. He shoots floaters worst than his sister.

Most Canucks Fans on our boards only look through rose coloured glasses. If you are able to open your eyes up to the bigger picture, you will see that your analyzation skills are biased and favored for your own team.

The gold just keeps on coming from you! I'm kind of surprised none of the resident Canuck fans have ripped this apart yet, but then again they're probably just tired of entertaining you. I couldn't leave these two alone though, they're just priceless.

Glencross = D. Sedin...You have ZERO evidence on which to base your claim that Daniel's goals are inflated due to playing with Henrik. Regardless, only in your world is Glencross a smarter player than either Sedin...we're talking about two of the most cerebral players to ever play the game. Their hockey sense is off the charts. What's the number one knock on Glencross by Flames fans on these boards? That his mental game is weak. In addition, if you've ever watched them play, you would know that the Sedins are as good along the boards as anybody. Why do you think they're so effective offensively? Not only are they deadly on a rush in open ice, but they also turn cycles into goals better than any other line. You don't do that by being weak on the boards. The Sedins protect the puck and make a play from the boards as well as or better than anybody in the league. Regardless of who plays with who, you cannot compare a 240 goal scorer (D. Sedin's NHL regualr season total so far) to a 64 goal scorer (Glencross). It's beyond ridiculous.

Moss > H. Sedin. Ok, now I have officially seen it all in the world of hockey-related message board posts. You consistently claim that your posts are based on facts and evidence - tell me, what facts are you using that have mislead you in such a hilarious manner? Since when is a career depth forward better than the defending Art Ross and Hart trophy winner? Again if you even slightly paid attention to the game, you would know that when Daniel missed 20-odd games early last season with a broken foot, Henrik shut up all the critics who said that he was only a passer that couldn't produce without his brother by finding another gear altogether and doing the goal scoring himself. So your claim that "Henrik is only a passer" is flat out wrong. Without even going into their respective career stats, suffice to say that Henrik pisses David Moss when he wakes up hungover.

You sir are so far out to lunch there is no bringing you back. But thanks for the laugh.

Are you a Canucks Fan or something?

The Sedins are way over-rated. Why do you think every hockey fan in the world calls them the "Sisters"? Its cause they are so soft along the boards. They run around the ice in their dresses with the puck cause they are scared to get hit like a real man. The second any player touches them, they fumble the puck. I've actually watched them when they came to Calgary. During the warm up - Daniel was unable to score on even the back up goalie Cory Shaffer. Most of the goals he's getting right now are like open netters from his twin sister. That is the ONLY reason why he's got more goals than Glencross. Glencross actually has a way better snap and wrist shot than Daniel. He can snipe like the best of them. He always picks the corners during warm-ups and he's usually getting 30% of his warm-up shots in when shooting on Kipper. I will agree that its nice Daniel get himself into position for the open netters or empty netters more than Glencross. That's one thing that makes Daniel stand out more. All in all, if you took that away, they are similar players. Glencross's strength on the puck and boards makes me qualify them as near equal players.

It's funny you call me out to discuss Henrik Sedin. I challenge you to only consider that we're comparing goal scoring on both the teams (Canucks vs Flames). Yes I know he has won the Art Ross but here we're talking and comparing the goal scoring of both teams. I would rather have Moss over Henrik because Henrik is really just known for his passing. Without that part of his game, he's nothing. He shoots floaters worst than his sister.

Most Canucks Fans on our boards only look through rose coloured glasses. If you are able to open your eyes up to the bigger picture, you will see that your analyzation skills are biased and favored for your own team.

Most Canucks Fans on our boards only look through rose coloured glasses.

Yet guaranteeing that a team that's won 1 first round series in the last 22 yrs will win the cup is completely logical and sane.. heh heh..

noooo rose colored glasses there!

awesome!

Keep em coming Derf!

Could imagine what the Sedins would be if they did have a shot? Or speed? Or if there were 3 of them? Mind blown...

The gold just keeps on coming from you! I'm kind of surprised none of the resident Canuck fans have ripped this apart yet, but then again they're probably just tired of entertaining you.

I know this quote gets used alot in the hockey world but I think it applies to this as well.

"The definition of insanity - trying the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

They've tried explaining things logically.. the logic eludes him/her

They've tried sarcasm.. the sarcasm eludes him/her

They've tried ignoring it.. the hints elude him/her

Not really sure what else Nuck fans are supposed to do. I personally just enjoy the humor of it all! :P

Explain how the first and third players in points are over rated? By that logic why don't we call Crosby, Ovi and stamkos overrated as well than?

Interesting thing that will piss most of you off.

Playing NHL 11, did a fantasy draft, and both Kesler and Burrows ended up on the Flames! :P

• Like 1
  • Angry 2

Interesting thing that will piss most of you off.

Playing NHL 11, did a fantasy draft, and both Kesler and Burrows ended up on the Flames! :P

Reminds me of when I was playing NHL 09 and the Canucks put Daniel Sedin on waivers after he was struggling for a month. Apparently splitting them up helped them both over the rest of the season...

Reminds me of when I was playing NHL 09 and the Canucks put Daniel Sedin on waivers after he was struggling for a month. Apparently splitting them up helped them both over the rest of the season...

Waivers are really stupid sometimes. I picked up Brodeur once! :o

The Flames top line is Kovalchuk - Kelser - Okposo. And it's deadly.

Waivers are really stupid sometimes. I picked up Brodeur once! :o

The Flames top line is Kovalchuk - Kelser - Okposo. And it's deadly.

I found that the game's realism takes a huge hit when viewed from a GM-ing stand-point. The contract demands from players are ridiculous (I kept seeing Kyle Turris asking for $10M per) and teams sign them to those deals, then waive them because they have negative space. Then the waiver wire is stacked with super-stars on ridiculous contracts while the UFA bin is all middle-end players asking for franchise player contracts.

Also, I really really dislike the little easter-egg they added to NHL09; Sabrina Ladha, a female goalie with 99 skill on everything. Tampa signed her right away and is in the SCF EVERY year. Ugh.

So anyways, discussion about Flames and Canucks: how are the new additions to the bottom six looking? I haven't had a chance to catch up on Maxim and Higgins...

I found that the game's realism takes a huge hit when viewed from a GM-ing stand-point. The contract demands from players are ridiculous (I kept seeing Kyle Turris asking for $10M per) and teams sign them to those deals, then waive them because they have negative space. Then the waiver wire is stacked with super-stars on ridiculous contracts while the UFA bin is all middle-end players asking for franchise player contracts.

Also, I really really dislike the little easter-egg they added to NHL09; Sabrina Ladha, a female goalie with 99 skill on everything. Tampa signed her right away and is in the SCF EVERY year. Ugh.

So anyways, discussion about Flames and Canucks: how are the new additions to the bottom six looking? I haven't had a chance to catch up on Maxim and Higgins...

Higgins hasn't played yet because of a broken finger. Should play within the next week.

Lapierre has been.... quiet. Which is a good thing. He hasn't done a whole lot positive or negative.

Higgins hasn't played yet because of a broken finger. Should play within the next week.

Lapierre has been.... quiet. Which is a good thing. He hasn't done a whole lot positive or negative.

That Lapierre kid is a bust. He's going to be a career AHL'r. The only reason why he's not in the AHL is because you don't need much talent to enter into Vancouver's Roster Line Up, almost everyone from the Moose has tried out for spots on the Canucks. That's how thin Vancouver's roster is.

• Angry 1

That Lapierre kid is a bust. He's going to be a career AHL'r. The only reason why he's not in the AHL is because you don't need much talent to enter into Vancouver's Roster Line Up, almost everyone from the Moose has tried out for spots on the Canucks. That's how thin Vancouver's roster is.

OR... it's because Vancouver has such a huge lead in the standings with no risk of Calgary catching them that they can afford to bring up young developing players to give them a shot of experience and reward them for their good work on the farm. A luxury your team doesn't have..

Did you notice how all those prospect players have cycled thru the same 2 roster spots on the 4th line?

oh.. of course not...

keep trying Derf... you may actually successfully burn us with one your zingers sometime soon... quantity over quality!

Keep up your fan-support!

How's the honda?

no word at all..

but fair say he's done for the season dealing with his personal matters.

I don't see him coming in to join the team for the playoffs.

Pretty sure there would be significant uproar if that were to happen from the cap police... and likely wouldn't go over well in the dressing room either.

But who knows...

Rick Rypien breaks the ice; skating with Moose - By Jim Jamieson, The Province March 8, 2011 9:46 AM

Rick Rypien is back.

Rypien, who’s been out on a personal leave since Nov. 17, has appeared on the Manitioba Moose reserve list for Monday’s AHL trade deadline and is apparently ready to resume his pro hockey career.

Rypien, 26, also missed most of the season two years ago with a personal leave.

The Coleman, Alta., native has been in Winnipeg practising with the Moose injured players since late last week.

Just how the pugnacious fourth liner fits into the Canucks plans has yet to be determined. He will speak to the media in Winnipeg at noon Vancouver time.

I'm somewhat freaked out...I have a totally random thought about how Rypien is doing this morning, and it just happens that he speaks for the first time since November? I haven't thought about him once since he took his leave.

This is almost as freaky as that kid that controlled the Flames game with his PS3 the other night.

I'm somewhat freaked out...I have a totally random thought about how Rypien is doing this morning, and it just happens that he speaks for the first time since November? I haven't thought about him once since he took his leave.

This is almost as freaky as that kid that controlled the Flames game with his PS3 the other night.

It's unexplainable. PS that kid was my nephew btw. I also experience the same oddness as well. I have no explanation of how it happened but it did. I'm glad it did though as one can say I was a factor in the Flames win against the Predators.

OR... it's because Vancouver has such a huge lead in the standings with no risk of Calgary catching them that they can afford to bring up young developing players to give them a shot of experience and reward them for their good work on the farm. A luxury your team doesn't have..

Did you notice how all those prospect players have cycled thru the same 2 roster spots on the 4th line?

oh.. of course not...

keep trying Derf... you may actually successfully burn us with one your zingers sometime soon... quantity over quality!

Keep up your fan-support!

How's the honda?

I would becareful saying something like NO RISK. We're rolling on so much here that its quite possible we over take that division lead before the end of the season.

The Canucks roster is thin, but you won't admit it because you're a Canucks fan looking thru rose coloured glasses. This is the reason why you've been through more than a dozen AHL's. If you had the depth that Calgary does then you won't need to tap into the minor league roster. The depth of Canucks roster is humorous.

Honda's running better and more luxurious than your used KIA! hahahah

I would becareful saying something like NO RISK. We're rolling on so much here that its quite possible we over take that division lead before the end of the season.

That's ok.. I'm quite comfortable saying NO RISK. Your team would be hard pressed to get within 10 pts, let alone threaten for the division... or even threaten to threaten for the division...

Perspective:

If Calgary goes 14-0 to finish with 107pts..

Vancouver needs to go just 7-8 to keep the division..

if Flames go 10-3-1 for 100pts..

Canucks just need to go 3-11-1 to win the division..

But we all know you'll just ignore that logic...

The Canucks roster is thin, but you won't admit it because you're a Canucks fan looking thru rose coloured glasses. This is the reason why you've been through more than a dozen AHL's. If you had the depth that Calgary does then you won't need to tap into the minor league roster. The depth of Canucks roster is humorous.

It is what it is... what does your team do when there's an injury or 2? plug in players sitting in the press box?

Vancouver doesn't carry players in the pressbox.. they have em playing in the AHL. If you wanna take a shot at the canucks, you can make fun of their cap space which doesn't allow them to carry extra players... something along the lines of:

LOLHAHAHA your team sucks because they haz no cap space and ourz does LOLHAHA Feaster>>>>Gillis! Flames and Hondas Rule!!

You got ripped off if you paid $150 for a jersey that says "Loungo" on the back.

I thought I got a great deal on it. It's authentic with the fighting straps. Did derf just use the words depth and calgary in the same sentence? Hang on i'v got to go back and see if he was talking about the Canucks.

Sig bet?

I thought I got a great deal on it. It's authenic with the fighting straps.

Not bad as you can wear it for 10 seasons.

Not bad as you can wear it for 10 seasons.

Naaa.... I wash it alot so it wont last that long. I will need to get a new one in the next couple of seasons.

Haven't been around in a couple weeks. Just read the last two pages.

Detroitrocity you are comedy gold and I mean that most sincerely. You're like the Larry the Cable Guy of the Calgary Flames.

Hurtin_Albertan -- respect my man. You're a Flames fan and a hockey fan.

Regarding Rypien.... here he is with the media today: http://www.moosehockey.com/featurevideos/284/19

Rypien sporting a beard, saying he's happier than he's ever been and that he doesn't think he's ever played to his full potential. He also looked more comfortable and confident in talking to the media than I've ever seen him. There are also some very strong clues as to the issue he was dealing with. It will be interesting to see if Coach Vig gives him a shot before the playoffs. I'm very impressed by today's interview and hope Rypien gets a chance to earn a spot in the line-up again soon. If he can, it immediately gives the Canucks a dimension they've been lacking since he left. He's got to show more than just his fists to win a spot though.

Flames continue to surprise me. Who saw this coming huh? Iggy's hot and Kipper's on his game again. Good luck down the stretch. It would be great to see you in the playoffs.