The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Hockey_Canada1

Discussion & Debate Thread: Flames and Canucks

I don't see Rypien playing for the Canucks this season. He doesn't bring anything that Glass and Lapierre don't, and with the deadline acquisitions we have lots of depth up front.

Happy to see him in good health though.

Of course he brings something that they don't. He's a premier fighter and one of the best in the league. Glass is an average fighter and nowhere near Rypien in fighting skills. Lappierre - forget about it. If Rypien can show improvement in other areas it's a win for the Canucks and he does bring something to the Canucks that they don't. I think he'll get a chance before the playoffs to show what he can do. And some of the things he said to the media were encouraging.

I hope Rypien does get back in, any middleweights want to run around and take cheep shots they can deal with Rypiens fist. Welcome back Rypien, welcome back yaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Of course he brings something that they don't. He's a premier fighter and one of the best in the league. Glass is an average fighter and nowhere near Rypien in fighting skills. Lappierre - forget about it. If Rypien can show improvement in other areas it's a win for the Canucks and he does bring something to the Canucks that they don't. I think he'll get a chance before the playoffs to show what he can do. And some of the things he said to the media were encouraging.

Glass does a good enough job. The Canucks have clearly gotten away from having a "fighter" in the line-up and unless Rypien shows vast improvements in other areas, I don't see a place for him in the line-up. Glass is much better in every other facet of the game.

I hope Rypien does get back in, any middleweights want to run around and take cheep shots they can deal with Rypiens fist. Welcome back Rypien, welcome back yaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Even heavyweights respect Rypien as a fighter - and Rypien doesn't care how big the other guy is.

Haven't been around in a couple weeks. Just read the last two pages.

Detroitrocity you are comedy gold and I mean that most sincerely. You're like the Larry the Cable Guy of the Calgary Flames.

Hurtin_Albertan -- respect my man. You're a Flames fan and a hockey fan.

Regarding Rypien.... here he is with the media today: http://www.moosehock...revideos/284/19

Rypien sporting a beard, saying he's happier than he's ever been and that he doesn't think he's ever played to his full potential. He also looked more comfortable and confident in talking to the media than I've ever seen him. There are also some very strong clues as to the issue he was dealing with. It will be interesting to see if Coach Vig gives him a shot before the playoffs. I'm very impressed by today's interview and hope Rypien gets a chance to earn a spot in the line-up again soon. If he can, it immediately gives the Canucks a dimension they've been lacking since he left. He's got to show more than just his fists to win a spot though.

Flames continue to surprise me. Who saw this coming huh? Iggy's hot and Kipper's on his game again. Good luck down the stretch. It would be great to see you in the playoffs.

Clues? What is with perpetuating this mystery? Just spill the beans already, hard to believe it's something that we haven't heard or seen before. "Definitely not substance abuse..."

I thought I got a great deal on it. It's authenic with the fighting straps. Did derf just use the words depth and calgary in the same sentence? Hang on i'v got to go back and see if he was talking about the Canucks.

Check the spelling bud.

Clues? What is with perpetuating this mystery? Just spill the beans already, hard to believe it's something that we haven't heard or seen before. "Definitely not substance abuse..."

My guess is depression.

Because it's none of our business and I have no interest in speculating with anyone about what it may have been. I have my ideas and unless I hear an official statement from Rypien or the Canucks that's good enough for me.

I'm not going to speculate on what his problem was. Whatever it was he sounds confident he's ready to proceed forward. It's good he's with Zinger & the Moose as they were the 1s that showed the confidence in him when he went un-drafted so he's in a comfort zone. Whatever he does in hockey I hope he's beaten down whatever his personal demon was & has a happy life.

Success is measured in different ways. I wish him the best.

Anger management therapy perhaps? Maybe he went stealth and tried to assassinate that fan... :)

Seriously, does it matter? Whatever the problem he seems to think he's solved it. Downie went off the deep end early in his career but is playing good hockey now. Other players have done the same but there are as many reasons as there were problems.

This is hockey, not a soap opera. If he can play well he's proved enough.

Because it's none of our business and I have no interest in speculating with anyone about what it may have been. I have my ideas and unless I hear an official statement from Rypien or the Canucks that's good enough for me.

I have zero interest in kicking ideas back and forth amongst internet posters regarding what may be wrong with his life (other than his obvious association with the Canucks) but you yourself are speculating without official statements from those in the know about what you think it is, that's my point. Why doesn't he just say what it is, it will eventually be revealed anyway and it would just prevent a lot of gossip. It would be different if the fact that there was some kind of a situation was not revealed but it is presently, "a very difficult situation of a personal nature", that has caused him to miss quite a significant number of his prime playing days in the NHL. I will say it's not booze or drugs, I'm not telling you what it is, thank you for coming out to my press conference.

Either say something or say nothing is my point, it's not like whatever it is has not been heard of before. Making public statements like that are just sowing seeds of drama and gossip.

I have zero interest in kicking ideas back and forth amongst internet posters regarding what may be wrong with his life (other than his obvious association with the Canucks) but you yourself are speculating without official statements from those in the know about what you think it is, that's my point. Why doesn't he just say what it is, it will eventually be revealed anyway and it would just prevent a lot of gossip. It would be different if the fact that there was some kind of a situation was not revealed but it is presently, "a very difficult situation of a personal nature", that has caused him to miss quite a significant number of his prime playing days in the NHL. I will say it's not booze or drugs, I'm not telling you what it is, thank you for coming out to my press conference.

Either say something or say nothing is my point, it's not like whatever it is has not been heard of before. Making public statements like that are just sowing seeds of drama and gossip.

He won't tell us because he doesn't want to, and I'm sure he couldn't care less about the gossip that internet message boards will participate in. He's obviously got some problems that are big enough and personal enough that he doesn't want to share them with the whole country. And we should all respect that. The point of the press conference was to say he's dealt with what he had to deal with and is back playing the game, and wanted to thank everyone for their support. It shouldn't matter one lick what the problem was. It was personal, he doesn't want to get into it, and that's fine.

Good to hear. Me neither.

Yup who cares about that Career AHL'r

hope he stays in the farm for good. Although with the lack of depth the Canucks have, I can see them moving Rypien up sooner than later.

• Angry 2

hope he stays in the farm for good. Although with the lack of depth the Canucks have, I can see them moving Rypien up sooner than later.

Thank you for being so compassionate.

Thank you for being so compassionate.

No kidding, what a dbag comment. Grow up you infant.

• Like 2

evolutionofman.jpg

• Like 1