The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Hockey_Canada1

Discussion & Debate Thread: Flames and Canucks

This is one of the weakest rosters in the current NHL playoffs. Here is a full detail description why.

Sedin (Too soft during Playoffs) - Sedin (not enough grit during playoffs) - Burrows (Career declining from previous high - getting old)

Higgins (Not the same player as he once was) - Kesler (Un-proven during playoffs) - Samuelsson (Way past his prime - likely to retire soon)

Raymond (Extremely Inconsistent) - Hodgson (Career AHLer) - Hansen (Does not like playing in the dirty areas)

Oreskovich (No playoff experience) - Lapierre (Absolutely invisible since he was traded here) - Glass (How healthy is he?)

Edler (Just came off back surgery - injury prone) - Ehrhoff (Only can get points on powerplay - not an effective dman 5 on 5)

Bieksa (Injury Prone) - Hamhuis (Concussion Prone)

Ballard (Been benched - Healthy Scratched too many times - Completely over paid over rated) - Salo (Injury prone - could get injured walking to the washroom at night)

Luongo (Horrible during playoffs)

Schneider (The one only bright spot on the team but he doesn't even get to play any games)

Gotta agree.

But at least they were 5-0-1 vs the Flames. what does that say about the flames roster?

musta been luck.

Gotta agree.

But at least they were 5-0-1 vs the Flames. what does that say about the flames roster?

musta been luck.

Canucks were 0-2 in the last couple games vs a 30th place team, what does that say about the Canucks?

Canucks were 0-2 in the last couple games vs a 30th place team, what does that say about the Canucks?

That the Flames are worse than the team that's worse than the last place team?

Oilers>>>Canucks>>>Flames

Scoring

Van 3.15 g/gm (1st)

Chi 3.07 g/gm (4th)

Van 2.20 ga/gm (1st)

Chi 2.68 ga/gm (12th)

PP

Van 24.4% (1st)

Chi 23.1% (4th)

PK

Van 85.6% (3rd)

Chi 79.2% (25th)

** Vancouver's PK has been 81.3% since Manny went down

5on5 ratio

Van 1.32 (2nd)

Chi 1.15 (7th)

FO

Van 54.9% (1st)

Chi 50.8% (12th)

Shots

Van 32.0 sog/gm 6th

Chi 32.2 sog/gm 5th

Van 30.1 soga/gm 7th

Chi 28.7 soga/gm 12th

Starting goalies

Totals

Luongo 38-15-7, 2.11 ga, 0.928

Crawford 33-18-6, 2.30 ga, 0.917

Even strength

Luongo 0.934

Crawford 0.924

PK

Luongo 300 SH, 31ga, 0.897

Crawford 231 SH, 30ga, 0.870

:0 How dare you!

Haha jk,I'm too busy stressing about tomorrows game to be worried about........ [Mod Delete]

Number one reason the Canucks WILL win this series.

No Byfuglien, Ladd, Versteeg.

Aside from Bolland, those were the only agitators that worked on us. We have a third/fourth line that can stick up for themselves this year and they can get the job done in the offensive zone. I have zero doubt that we'll do a decent job against a Hawks team that barely made it above the cut. They've only shown flashes of the old Hawks team we saw last year, and I think we can capitalize on that.

This is one of the weakest rosters in the current NHL playoffs. Here is a full detail description why.

Sedin (Too soft during Playoffs) - Sedin (not enough grit during playoffs) - Burrows (Career declining from previous high - getting old)

Higgins (Not the same player as he once was) - Kesler (Un-proven during playoffs) - Samuelsson (Way past his prime - likely to retire soon)

Raymond (Extremely Inconsistent) - Hodgson (Career AHLer) - Hansen (Does not like playing in the dirty areas)

Oreskovich (No playoff experience) - Lapierre (Absolutely invisible since he was traded here) - Glass (How healthy is he?)

Edler (Just came off back surgery - injury prone) - Ehrhoff (Only can get points on powerplay - not an effective dman 5 on 5)

Bieksa (Injury Prone) - Hamhuis (Concussion Prone)

Ballard (Been benched - Healthy Scratched too many times - Completely over paid over rated) - Salo (Injury prone - could get injured walking to the washroom at night)

Luongo (Horrible during playoffs)

Schneider (The one only bright spot on the team but he doesn't even get to play any games)

You clearly have no clue what you're talking about. I concede the fact that you're a Flames fan and you're bound to hate the Canucks. But please stop babbling nonsense.

The Sedins are probably the hardest working Canucks on and off the ice. ESPECIALLY during the playoffs. They were more than a point per game last season and they only keep getting better. Mikael Samuelsson LED OUR TEAM in points with 15 in 12 games last year.

And last of all HANSEN DOESN'T LIKE TO GET IN THE DIRTY AREAS? Clearly a Flames fan.

You clearly have no clue what you're talking about. I concede the fact that you're a Flames fan and you're bound to hate the Canucks. But please stop babbling nonsense.

The Sedins are probably the hardest working Canucks on and off the ice. ESPECIALLY during the playoffs. They were more than a point per game last season and they only keep getting better. Mikael Samuelsson LED OUR TEAM in points with 15 in 12 games last year.

And last of all HANSEN DOESN'T LIKE TO GET IN THE DIRTY AREAS? Clearly a Flames fan.

Don't get too worked up. It's Derf and he's "special"

No Seriously Fernandez, Do you even watch any of the Canucks games? I think you are favoring the Canucks way too much because you're a Canucks fan.

I actually watch them play and analyze their play with an unbiased point of view. I've seen the Sedins play and all they can really do is cycle the puck on the outside. They like to dance around in areas where it is not even dangerous. Teams just let them do that in the regular season but in the playoffs, once a body touches any of the Sedins, they fall down so easily. You only have to touch them lightly and they aren't very strong on their skates. If they can put on a few pounds in the summer and do some strength conditioning, they might actually become very strong players.

I know Samuelsson led your team in the playoffs last year, but face the facts, he's getting old, his point total has come down and he is injury prone. He's coming off an undisclosed injury right now so there's ??? about his performance in the playoffs this year. I'd be surprised if he gets more than 0.5points / game.

I am a Flames fan, die hard, but it doesn't mean anything. Hansen plays like a soft European player. I'm not saying this is a bad thing in fact I think its rather smart to avoid injuries. Hansen just likes to avoid the corners and in front of the net. Maybe he just doesn't want to get hit or just likes it easy. His elegant style of play is similar to that of Rebecca Johnston.

I would like to cheer your team on in the playoffs, I just don't think it's very likely Canucks will make it past game 6 as usual.

• Angry 1

Derf, have you ever wondered why you reputation is at -50?

He's the best golfer at flames.com? God knows he's had lots of time to practice.

• Like 2

I actually watch them play and analyze their play with an unbiased point of view. I've seen the Sedins play and all they can really do is cycle the puck on the outside. They like to dance around in areas where it is not even dangerous. Teams just let them do that in the regular season but in the playoffs, once a body touches any of the Sedins, they fall down so easily. You only have to touch them lightly and they aren't very strong on their skates. If they can put on a few pounds in the summer and do some strength conditioning, they might actually become very strong players.

vinceomg.gif?t=1302715028

• Like 1

Too many Canucks fans who don't know much about hockey is the reason why I'm -50.

Didn't you say that the Flames should sign Ehrhoff for 3.5 mil?

Keep in mind that the Nucks won the first game last year. What was the score, 6-2?? something like that.

that said, I don't expect the Nucks to lose. Not if they keep playing like this anyway.

Thought Hodgson had a great game. He was all over the place.

Keep in mind that the Nucks won the first game last year. What was the score, 6-2?? something like that.

Close, it was 5-1 and the year before that 5-3. It's been the 2nd game that Vancouver has had problems with.

that said, I don't expect the Nucks to lose. Not if they keep playing like this anyway.

Thought Hodgson had a great game. He was all over the place.

Yeah.. a blowout last yr...

I'm optimistic about the way the canucks won this one, and how it disrupted what the Hawks wanted to do...

Their adjustment will/could/should be to play more dump and chase and get the canuck D to turn, retrieve and take some hits...

We'll see how it works out... The D stepping up will be less of surprise for the Hawks forwards in game 2.

Thing is the D was stepping up before the forward even had time to make a decision with the puck. Even Toews ate couple entering the zone..

Can't wait to see...

There are always certain players I like even when they play for a rival but that's based on style of play. They are the 1s I want on my favorite team(s). Many are heart & soul players like Malhotra while others are just so skilled you can't help but admire them. Brodeur was a Flyers killer but I admired him.

Funny how a puck to the eye can earn respect from just about anyone. I remember when we signed him and I was really excited. People here said we way overpaid for a 3rd line grinder with little offence. All season not a single person here said a thing about Malhotra and then suddenly puck to the eye and he is everyone's favorite. Seems kinda trivial. If Burrows took a puck to the eye and was out, I wonder how Flames fans would react...

i would hate him no more or no less then i do now i hate all players in the canucks organization like all players outside of it

I love your black and white view of things.

Sean Avery > Daniel Sedin

Hitler > Canucks fan

On to the next yr!

The 2011-2012 NHL Season

And so it begins again....

A quick look at what the contract structures are for both of our teams going into the draft next week, and into free agency in just 2 mere weeks away from today.

Flames

X - Langkow 4.5mil - Iginla 7mil

Bourque 3.3mil - Jokinen 3mil - Glencross 2.6mil

Hagman 3mil - Stajan 3.5mil - Moss 1.3mil

TKO 917K - Backlund 1.3mil - Ivanans 600K - Jackman 550K

UFA - Tanguay, Modin, Morrison

JBo 6.7mil, Gio 4mil, Regehr 4mil, Sarich 3.6mil, Carson 575K

RFA - Mikkelson

UFA - Staios, Babchuk, Pardy

Kipper 5.8mil

UFA - Karlsson

Buyout - Dawes 141K

That's 18 players signed @ $56.4 mil

Additional:

Kotalik 3mil, Brodie 742K, Nemisz 1mil, Meyer 512K etc..

Canucks

Sedin 6.1mil - Sedin 6.1mil - Burrows 2mil

Raymond 2.6mil (LTIR) - Kesler 5mil - Samuelsson 2.5mil

X - Malhotra 2.5mil - X

RFA - Hansen, Lapierre

UFA - Higgens, Torres, Glass, Tambellini

Hamhuis 4.5mil, Ballard 4.2mil, Edler 3.3mil, Rome 750K

RFA - Sweatt

UFA - Bieksa, Ehrhoff, Salo, Alberts

Luongo 5.3mil, Schneider 900K

13 players signed at $45.7 mil

Additional:

Hodgson 1.7mil, Tanev 900K, Parent 925K, Sauve 875K

Bieksa's exit interview today strongly suggests he gets done and is back at a discount.

Raymond obviously starts the season on LTIR if needed... but he's expected back, so its definitely just a temporary level of flexibility if even needed.

My ideal high priority signing - Brooks Laich