The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Hockey_Canada1

Discussion & Debate Thread: Flames and Canucks

Its fun playing a Canucks version of Derf..

I can see where irrationality and the absence of logic and reasoning is a fun approach on message boards. My apologizes to flames fans who aren't finding this entertaining.

• Like 1

If you are saying that events as late as the 2010-2011 season are in the past and dwelling on history.. Wouldn't you pumping a flames cup from the 80's be the exact same thing? actually way worse.

You are the are the one dwelling in history and living in the past every time you try to use the flames cup win from before you were born as an argument for superiority over the Canucks.

PRESENTLY the canucks have the reigning Selke winner, reigning Art Ross winner, reigning Ted Lindsey winner... they are the reigning Western Conference Champions, reigning Jenning's Trophy winner, and reigning President's Trophy winner. Presently.

They are also presently the dirtiest, cheapest, most classless team in the league with the best divers.

The Flames are presently a reigning lottery team....

I mean.. I'm glad you're one to put the past behind him... sick of hearing about a cup from the 80's when we're trying to discuss hockey 3 decades later. I agree with you... stop dwelling on the past.

Stop hating on me because I'm a Stanley Cup Champion. I know you guys are envious in Vancouver. You guys will never be the Champions us Calgary fans are.

All's not lost DL, You guys are grey cup champions!

Back to actual hockey talk if possible...

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Raymond - Kesler - X

Samuelsson - Malhotra - (Hansen (1.2)

X - Lapierre - (Oreskovich 600K) / (600K)

Bieksa, Hamhuis, Edler, Ballard, Rome, Tanev, X , X

Luongo, Schneider

$52.2 million committed on the above players. (16)

$12.1 mil to fill the roster to 23 players - 7 more players.

2 would be Hansen and Oreskovich... ~ $1.7 mil

1 could be Hodgson $1.7 mil

1 could be Parent $900K

That's 4 players from within @ ~ $4.3 mil... say $4.5 mil on the safe side.

Leaves $7.6 mil.

Let's leave $1 mil in free space for injuries/upgrades for later.

$6.6 mil...

Assume Salo settles for a mere $2mil...

$4.6 mil for 2 players...

Gillis could go towards adding a depth Dman and depth forward... Alberts and Torres type which would be cheap...

Or he can go bigger in one spot over the other, and fill the other with a min/low wage player... i.e. a $3.5-4mil forward and an Alberts-type D, or $3.5-4mil Dman and a Torres-type F.

=======================

Flames as being discussed thoroughly in the Flames forum...

approximate current commitment..

Tanguay - Langkow - Ignila

Bourque - Jokinen - Glencross

Jackman - Backlund - Moss

Hagman - Stajan - TKo / Ivanans / X

Jbo - (Butler)

Giordano - Sarich

(Mikkelson)- X Carson / X

Kipper / Karlsson

$56.7 mil committed to the 19 players above.

4 roster spots with $7.6 mil of space.

From within:

RFAs - Bulter, Mikkelson

Possible other D fills - Brodie (742K), Negrin (790K), Seabrook (568K)

Forwards callups if people are moved out or on IR - Byron (555K), Nemisz (1mil), Bouma (693K), Meyer (513K).

That's as it stands right now with the contracts signed.

Only glaring need on paper is another vet Dman. Lots of risk going into a season icing Butler, Carson AND Mikkelson with the likes of Brodie or Negrin as the 7th/8th. Total of 325 gms between the 5 of them.

Flames actually have significant space to add a quality Dman still.

The draft is always exciting to view the potential and then in coming yrs see that potential realized.

Canucks, like the flames, don't have the best drafting records around.

But i really like, for some reason-since i don't usually follow prospects too much, the flames and the canuck pick ups... And i became intrigued with the parallels..

this is more for informational purposes rather than for comparison sake... since Bartschi is obviously considered the better prospect at this point drafted 17 spots ahead of Jensen..

The first rounders...

Sven Bartschi 13th overall to the flames

Left Wing

Born Oct 5 1992, 18 yrs old -- Langenthal, Switzerland

Height 5.10 -- Weight 185 -- Shoots L

Portland Winterhawks WHL 66gm 34g 51a 85pts +23 Playoffs: 21gm 10g 17a 27pts

2nd on his team in pts, 3rd in goals, 2nd in pts/goals in the playoffs

And

Nickalus Jensen 29th overall to the Canucks

Right Wing

Born Mar 6 1993, 17 yrs old -- Herning, Denmark

Height 6.03 -- Weight 186 -- Shoots L

Oshawa Generals OHL 61gm 29g 29a 58pts +14 Playoffs: 10gm 7g 4a 11pts

4th on his team in pts, 3rd in goals, T-2nd for g in playoffs

Both picks were from non-traditional hockey countries..

Both wingers. Both going to the NW.

Both picks were rookies in the CHL after playing oversees prior.

Both picks have Youtube videos dedicated to them:

Will be intriguing to watch em come up... hopefully a lot more intriguing than in past yrs for both teams.

• Like 1

The draft is always exciting to view the potential and then in coming yrs see that potential realized.

Canucks, like the flames, don't have the best drafting records around.

But i really like, for some reason-since i don't usually follow prospects too much, the flames and the canuck pick ups... And i became intrigued with the parallels..

this is more for informational purposes rather than for comparison sake... since Bartschi is obviously considered the better prospect at this point drafted 17 spots ahead of Jensen..

The first rounders...

Sven Bartschi 13th overall to the flames

Left Wing

Born Oct 5 1992, 18 yrs old -- Langenthal, Switzerland

Height 5.10 -- Weight 185 -- Shoots L

Portland Winterhawks WHL 66gm 34g 51a 85pts +23 Playoffs: 21gm 10g 17a 27pts

2nd on his team in pts, 3rd in goals, 2nd in pts/goals in the playoffs

And

Nickalus Jensen 29th overall to the Canucks

Right Wing

Born Mar 6 1993, 17 yrs old -- Herning, Denmark

Height 6.03 -- Weight 186 -- Shoots L

Oshawa Generals OHL 61gm 29g 29a 58pts +14 Playoffs: 10gm 7g 4a 11pts

4th on his team in pts, 3rd in goals, T-2nd for g in playoffs

Both picks were from non-traditional hockey countries..

Both wingers. Both going to the NW.

Both picks were rookies in the CHL after playing oversees prior.

Both picks have Youtube videos dedicated to them:

Will be intriguing to watch em come up... hopefully a lot more intriguing than in past yrs for both teams.

Funny thing is nobody has heard anything good about Nickalus Jensen. He'll probably be a career AHL'er. That's unfortunate for the Canucks. In comparison to Baertschi, he's got a bright NHL future ahead of him.

I just watched Jensen video highlight and his end to end rush... was that in a beer league or something? he was going so slow, I can skate faster than him.

Baertschi is a monster, speed, skill, hands and vision. That's the complete package right there. Did you see his breakaway moves??? I think I just caught the flu cause that kid is so sick!

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

FANATASTIC conclusion to the 2010-2011 season for the Canucks....

A lot of hardware they'll be proud of one day after the sting of gm 7 wears off....

Ryan Kesler - The Selke

Daniel - Ted Lindsey

Gillis - GM of the Year

to go along with..

The Jennings

The President's Trophy

Daniels' Art Ross

trophy_frankjselkelg.jpgtrophy_lesterbpearsonlg.jpgtrophy_presidentslg.jpgtrophy_jenningslg.jpgtrophy_artrosslg.jpg

And i couldn't find a pic of the GM of the Yr award.... so here's the face - 2ce1bf3354n_1663.jpg-150x104.jpg

Along with being finalists:

Daniel for the Hart

Luongo for the Vezina

AV for the Jack Adams

Daniel and Henrik for the NHL Foundation award

Daniel and Kesler 4th for the Richard

Amazing year for the canucks as they can put up a bunch of silverware in their trophy case and forget about after the summer...

the focus will be on the one that remains.....

trophy_stanleycuplg.jpg

Congratulations on the hardware DL, and some of the other Nux fans here,

Gillis definitely put together a very good team.

Burrows should get a 10 minute misconduct just for stepping on the ice, but outside of that...and Torres...that's a good squad.

You guys should be proud. And I think you already know, goalies don't just lose it and go cold. Excrement happens.

Good sportsmanship's a rarity, thought I'd try it out once, at least...

You guys should hear the sports talk radio out here in Vancity after games (Team 1040). The people that run the shows are great, usually very fair with their analysis while still being Canucks fans. The callers, however, are a riot (pardon the pun :) ):

1 - Each caller will start with, "I've been a Canucks fan for 40 years and remember crying in '94...etc. etc.".

2 - Each will describe how one person on the team is the ENTIRE reason they didn't/won't win (Luongo, H Sedin, D Sedin, AV, etc.).

3 - Each will propose trading for a super-star by offering a very over-valued player (Burrows for Heatley, Raymond for Iginla, etc.).

4 - Each will explain how the referees called everything against the Canucks as part of a grand conspiracy.

5 - Each will end with a vague reference to the "winning tradition that the Canucks established in '82 and '94".

It's awesome. I listen in just for the laughs. :D

Side-note: #4 is general to any hockey fan. I think the refs do a bad job some nights, but I laugh when people say its a conspiracy.

SO far:

OUT: Ehrhoff, Torres, Glass, Rypien

IN: Sturm, Ebbett, and AHL fodder - Mancari, Pinizzotto

Flames:

OUT: Regher, Kotalik, Pardy

IN: Bulter and AHL fodder - Byron, etc..

Looks like the Canucks are staying status quo with the team that played so well last yr...

The salary cap room they have remaining will allow them to be players for a big acquisition later in the season...

I don't expect them to have a 1st round pick next yr by the time the trade deadline passes..

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Higgens - Kesler - Samuelsson / (Raymond IR to start)

Sturm - Malhotra - Ebbett /Mancari (Hodgson)

(Oreskovich) - Lapierre - (Hansen) / Pinizzotto

Hamhius - Bieksa

Edler - Salo

Ballard - Tanev

Rome - Alberts

Luongo - Schneider

Once again a very deep D corps despite missing Ehrhoff... with 8 NHL Dmen. Tanev the easy one to demote being on a ELC.

A few new depth forwards to create competition around established players.

Van should be sitting with $2.5-3mil in space once the season starts which will accumulate towards the trade deadline to give them flexibility for a key acquisition later if needed.

I'm quite comfortable with how they're structured for now... we'll see how actually plays out tho.

Like that Gillis hasn't broke salary structure for any of these big crazy contracts going around... so far.

Sturm probably being the most significant addition - low risk high reward.. will have to see what he has left mobility wise when he hits camp. If he still can skate, he will be good fit to shuffle between the 3rd and 2nd lines as required. Expecting around 30 pts outta him like Higgens... up to 40ish if things end up clicking..

Found that intro finally!

Game 5 intro for the 2011 playoffs... :blush: I have to admit, I love the song...

My favorite was the Game 1 intro... also because of the song.. that Adele song is fricken awesome.

That still gives me chills when i watch it.

Van should be sitting with $2.5-3mil in space once the season starts which will accumulate towards the trade deadline to give them flexibility for a key acquisition later if needed.

Does cap space accumulate? I was under the impression that teams have to be cap-compliant every day and at the end of the season. (?)

Does cap space accumulate? I was under the impression that teams have to be cap-compliant every day and at the end of the season. (?)

at the trade deadline, there is "acquisition space". Basically, when a player is acquired at that point in the season, the team only acquires that end of his contract, not the whole thing. So, in theory, a team with ~ 2.5 mil in cap space will have quite a bit more than that in acquisition space, and can then acquire a player of a much higher cap hit than they strictly speaking should be able to. In theory, a team with 8.7 million in acquisition space could bring in Sidney Crosby for draft picks. However, this becomes a problem in the offseason when they take on Sidney's whole contract, and with the cushion created by acquisition space gone, the new contract now puts them over the cap. This has caused cap problems for teams in the past.

sorry, I'm really bad at explaining things.

at the trade deadline, there is "acquisition space". Basically, when a player is acquired at that point in the season, the team only acquires that end of his contract, not the whole thing. So, in theory, a team with ~ 2.5 mil in cap space will have quite a bit more than that in acquisition space, and can then acquire a player of a much higher cap hit than they strictly speaking should be able to. In theory, a team with 8.7 million in acquisition space could bring in Sidney Crosby for draft picks. However, this becomes a problem in the offseason when they take on Sidney's whole contract, and with the cushion created by acquisition space gone, the new contract now puts them over the cap. This has caused cap problems for teams in the past.

sorry, I'm really bad at explaining things.

Interesting, I was always kind of confused by that. Thanks.

Interesting, I was always kind of confused by that. Thanks.

Yeah... cap space accumulates if not used.

It doesn't accumulate for LTIR... thats where people get confused.

In an interesting article @ ESPN recently Craig Button just threw out the ? of what might be if the Flyers had gone higher on the offer sheet to Kesler in 2006. @ 1.9 with a 2nd as compensation the Canucks matched but if the bid had been high enough (say 3 million) to return a 1st & 3rd they might not have as I'm pretty sure they were cap strapped @ the time. Kesler only had 23 points in his 1st full season in 2005-06 & was still pretty much prospect material.

You can tell it's slow when the media throw out "what ifs" & we consider the possibilities. :)

Yeah... us van fans at the time woulda been driving Kesler to the airport if the offer would of been a $3mil offer.

Clarke woulda been the laughing stock of the NHL for a few yrs.

Rewind back.... The Canucks and Kesler were closing in on a 2 yr deal at around $800K/yr. I think Kesler was holding out for something like $50,000 more per yr...

Then Clarke and his massive overpayment of $1.9 mil.

Canucks match.. (and it was only a 1 yr deal... which is why it was obvious Clarke was just f'in with the Canucks cap at the time--- a half-hearted try to see if Van might actually let the kid go)

And the following yr Kesler signs a deal worth $1.75mil/yr... showing how much of an overpayment Clarke's offer was even a yr later. That $1.75/yr deal was a pure genius move by Nonis at the end of the day... it was for 3 yrs! And Gillis follows up with another contract some felt was an overpayment... but Kesler pretty nicely snuffed out any doubt about that with his season last yr...

But yeah.. what if... Kesler definitely woulda been a Flyer.

In an interesting article @ ESPN recently Craig Button just threw out the ? of what might be if the Flyers had gone higher on the offer sheet to Kesler in 2006. @ 1.9 with a 2nd as compensation the Canucks matched but if the bid had been high enough (say 3 million) to return a 1st & 3rd they might not have as I'm pretty sure they were cap strapped @ the time. Kesler only had 23 points in his 1st full season in 2005-06 & was still pretty much prospect material.

You can tell it's slow when the media throw out "what ifs" & we consider the possibilities. :)

Man, for years i was laughing at the Canucks for drafting Kesler instead of Mike Richards. Canucks have the last laugh on that one.

Yeah... us van fans at the time woulda been driving Kesler to the airport if the offer would of been a $3mil offer.

Clarke woulda been the laughing stock of the NHL for a few yrs.

Rewind back.... The Canucks and Kesler were closing in on a 2 yr deal at around $800K/yr. I think Kesler was holding out for something like $50,000 more per yr...

Then Clarke and his massive overpayment of $1.9 mil.

Canucks match.. (and it was only a 1 yr deal... which is why it was obvious Clarke was just f'in with the Canucks cap at the time--- a half-hearted try to see if Van might actually let the kid go)

And the following yr Kesler signs a deal worth $1.75mil/yr... showing how much of an overpayment Clarke's offer was even a yr later. That $1.75/yr deal was a pure genius move by Nonis at the end of the day... it was for 3 yrs! And Gillis follows up with another contract some felt was an overpayment... but Kesler pretty nicely snuffed out any doubt about that with his season last yr...

But yeah.. what if... Kesler definitely woulda been a Flyer.

You think Kesler would dive and whine as much if he was a Flyer? I often wonder if diving and whining is because of an association with an organization or if it is a result of the individual's character. Either or Kesler is currently the biggest whiner and one of the best divers in the league. What is your opinion on this DL?

• Like 1

You think Kesler would dive and whine as much if he was a Flyer? I often wonder if diving and whining is because of an association with an organization or if it is a result of the individual's character. Either or Kesler is currently the biggest whiner and one of the best divers in the league. What is your opinion on this DL?

No way! Of course not! It's the organization's fault all the way. That's how we focus our development, and what's helped us become the best team in the league last yr and make a run all the way to the cup finals.

You know that Derf... what a dumb question.

Van cheat, dive, and bite their way to the top. Something your classy organization has no idea about - missing the playoffs for 2 straight yrs.

If Kesler was a Flyer... he would of been nominated for the Lady Byng by now.

maybe even won a couple times too. Duh. Pick your game up Derf.

What is your opinion on this DL?

:lol: Weak food for weak troll (In this particular instance!)

Someone please make Derf an awesome new avatar!!

That one still makes me uncomfortable. :P

So.......DL44

Have those 'Tears of Unfathomable Sadness" dried up yet?

:lol: Weak food for weak troll (In this particular instance!)

So.......DL44

Have those 'Tears of Unfathomable Sadness" dried up yet?

Yup... losing the war of attrition was slow and painful in gm 7. But it does feel like it really was like a yr ago, doesn't it?

excited about the coming season, and trying to gauge what the immediate competition has done to shore up their weaknesses... the Canucks have stayed status quo, and are just as deep as last yr... (deeper upfront).. so i'm excited to just get it started... see what unfolds.

see if they get luckier health-wise, or if they go thru the same roller coaster as last yr. See if Salo actually makes it thru camp.

I'm looking at San Jose in the west... i don't really see any other teams in the west with an elite makeup.... do you?

(my def. of elite... pushing a 0.700 pt percentage all season)

here's hoping that Vancouver's biggest question finds a solution - a consistent 2nd line..

Its still only July... but i'm looking at San Jose's forward depth and thinking... they need to add players still...

top 6 - Thornton, Clowe, Marleau, Couture, Pavelski, Havlat - elite level

bottom 6 - Handzus, Mitchell, McGinn, Ferriero, AMurruay, Desjardins - sad, no?

One possible spread of talent... can always load up with Couture on the top again as well (which was awesome late last yr)...

Marleau - Thornton - X

Clowe - Couture - Havlat

Pavelski - Handzus - X

X - Mitchell - McGinn

Burns is a significant boost to their Defensive mobility which was very poor in the playoffs.

Out: Heatley, Setoguchi, Wellwood, Nichol, Eager, Mayers, Wallin, Huskins, White

A lot of people are high on the Sharks... i'm in wait and see mode... they've done a 180 in their philosophy on the bottom 6... out with the old and limited... in with the young, fast and inexperienced. Lots of potential for massive success tho..

Derf should just download the Speedy Auto Glass logo & use that.

As long as it doesn't come with the jingle. :)

Derf should just download the Speedy Auto Glass logo & use that.

As long as it doesn't come with the jingle. :)

the jingle wouldn't bother me overmuch since I keep my computer muted.:P

San Jose is a bit of a conundrum, in that they have practically nothing waiting on the wings (other than goalies).

their top six looks... well, spectacular. Bottom 6 looks... not spectacular. Still have plenty of cap space though. Defense looks great.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Patrick Marleau ($6.900m) / Joe Thornton ($7.000m) / Martin Havlat ($5.000m)

Ryane Clowe ($3.625m) / Logan Couture ($1.241m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m)

Torrey Mitchell ($1.366m) / Michal Handzus ($2.500m) / Jamie McGinn ($0.680m)

Benn Ferriero ($0.605m) / Andrew Murray ($0.575m) / Andrew Desjardins ($0.540m)

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Boyle ($6.666m) / Brent Burns ($3.550m)

Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($3.100m) / Douglas Murray ($2.500m)

Jason Demers ($1.250m) / Jim Vandermeer ($1.000m)

Justin Braun ($0.875m) / Mike Moore ($0.512m)

GOALTENDERS

Antti Niemi ($3.800m) / Antero Niittymaki ($2.000m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,287,501; BONUSES: $587,500

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $5,012,499

I see them finishing awfully high, though.