The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Hockey_Canada1

Discussion & Debate Thread: Flames and Canucks

Hey dude, please tone down the trash talking in here.

This thread is intended for mature Canucks discussions.

Relatively speaking of course. ;)

iginla vs d.sedin iginla wins

tanguay vs h.sedin h.sedin wins

bourque vs burrows tie

jokinen vs kesler kesler wins

langkow vs malhotra langkow wins

glencross vs raymond tie

moss vs higgins moss wins

backlund vs hodgson backlund wins

jackman vs lapierre lapierre wins

morrison vs samuelsson morrison wins

stajan vs hansen stajan wins

kostopulos vs sturm sturm wins

hagmen vs nolan tie

boumester vs bieska bieska wins

giordano vs edler tie

babchuk vs salo salo wins

butler vs tanev butler wins

carson vs ballard tie

sarich vs hamhuis hamhuis wins

mikkelson vs ALBERTS alberts wins

brodie vs rome brodie wins

kipper vs luongo kipper wins

karlson vs shnieder shnieder wins

9-9-5

iginla vs d.sedin iginla wins

tanguay vs h.sedin h.sedin wins

bourque vs burrows tie

jokinen vs kesler kesler wins

langkow vs malhotra langkow wins

glencross vs raymond tie

moss vs higgins moss wins

backlund vs hodgson backlund wins

jackman vs lapierre lapierre wins

morrison vs samuelsson morrison wins

stajan vs hansen stajan wins

kostopulos vs sturm sturm wins

hagmen vs nolan tie

boumester vs bieska bieska wins

giordano vs edler tie

babchuk vs salo salo wins

butler vs tanev butler wins

carson vs ballard tie

sarich vs hamhuis hamhuis wins

mikkelson vs ALBERTS alberts wins

brodie vs rome brodie wins

kipper vs luongo kipper wins

karlson vs shnieder shnieder wins

9-9-5

How about this instead...

Iginla > Strum

Tanguay < Kesler

Jokinen < Henrik

Bourque < Daniel

Langkow < Burrows

Glencross = Raymond

Stajan < Malhotra

Jackman < Lapierre

Hagman < Hansen

Moss < Higgens

Backlund > Hogdson

TKO < Samuelsson

JBo < Bieksa

Giordano > Tanev

Babchuk < Hamhuis

Butler < Salo

Hannan < Edler

Sarich > Alberts

Carson < Ballard

Mikkelson < Rome

Kipper > Luongo

Karlsson < Schneider

16-5-1

see what i did there...

Some great news for the Canucks - Kesler and Raymond are ahead of schedule in their recoveries...

Kesler is expected to definitely play on opening night...

Raymond is doing cardio, expected to be back early... But will definitely miss at least the first month of the season... Much better than his initial prognosis.

cue derf's 'Canucks don't care about their players for forcing them back' routine

Steve Begin joins the list of players signed to PTO's.... The vets being Manny Legace, Owen Nolan and Fedoruk....

And a whole bunch of youngens:

Craig Duininck, D

Marc Anthony Zanetti, D

Michael Curtis, C

Ryan Harrison, C

Nathan Longpre, C

Antoine Roussel, LW

Andrew Smith, RW

Brendan Jensen, G

Karel ST. Laurent, G

And kids named Saab and Lessard.

If someone could post the flames list, it would be cool to see...

(For those keeners out there.... PTO's don't count towards contract limits... but they are exclusive property of the team till the end of camp, or till they're cut... whichever comes first)

Maybe this is a little OT but it is a funny story nonetheless:

On the weekend, I was at the Canucks team store. They have a shelf full of these foam hands, with one finger pointing. I had to alert the staff.

"The merchandise must have been damaged; the hands are all missing a finger!" said I, "Everyone knows they finished SECOND!"

:)

They didn't like that very much...

• Like 1

Maybe this is a little OT but it is a funny story nonetheless:

On the weekend, I was at the Canucks team store. They have a shelf full of these foam hands, with one finger pointing. I had to alert the staff.

"The merchandise must have been damaged; the hands are all missing a finger!" said I, "Everyone knows they finished SECOND!"

:)

They didn't like that very much...

I think the real question is what were you doing in the CANUCKS team store?

• Like 1

I think the real question is what were you doing in the CANUCKS team store?

Well, there aren't many Flames stores in Vancouver, where I currently reside. :(

(Please forgive me? :) )

If someone could post the flames list, it would be cool to see...

as far as I know, the only players on tryouts are the guys who were invited to the rookie camp..

No. Player Pos.

50 Dowling, Justin C *

62 Ehrhardt, Dallas D

65 Elson, Turner LW

81 Engelage, Andrew G

70 Gal, Blake RW

80 Jackson, Reid D

67 Kosterman, Peter D

68 Martin, James D

72 Severyn, CJ LW *

63 Sylvester, Dustin C

* - has an AHL contract

as far as I know, the only players on tryouts are the guys who were invited to the rookie camp..

No. Player Pos.

50 Dowling, Justin C *

62 Ehrhardt, Dallas D

65 Elson, Turner LW

81 Engelage, Andrew G

70 Gal, Blake RW

80 Jackson, Reid D

67 Kosterman, Peter D

68 Martin, James D

72 Severyn, CJ LW *

63 Sylvester, Dustin C

* - has an AHL contract

I know NOTHING of the youngens the canucks invited...

you have any insight or expectations of those flames youngens?

I went to school with #67's sisters, is that the insight you're looking for? :P

Kosterman is ~ 6' 4", a defenseman who isn't flashy and seems to understand the defensive side of the game well. He's average size and isn't considered a threat offensively at the moment. However, he hasn't really been used in a role where he could show is offense. Scouts picked his as being effective in a mobile d-man role with above-average IQ and average physical tools. Skating needs some work; one of the reasons he wasn't drafted late (or at all) as was predicted he would. He was ~150th of the North American skaters.

Justin Dowling - a center with good size and work ethic. Has surprisingly good puck skills, but can't seem to put it all together (poor hockey sense? I don't know). Was decent in a short stint with the Abbotsford Heat last year.

James Martin - a sort of no-frills shutdown defenseman. Has decent skating ability, is reasonably smart and has good size. Played with Joey Leach for a good part of last season, and ended up forming a pretty good shutdown pair for the Ice. Actually might find his way onto the Heat roster at some point

C.J. Severyn - mobile grinding forward who is good defensively and has a lethal release on his shot. Has been playing in the NCAA since the flames drafted him in 2007. May play in the Heats' bottom six next season.

basically they're mostly undrafted WHL players

Justin Dowling - a center with good size and work ethic. Has surprisingly good puck skills, but can't seem to put it all together (poor hockey sense? I don't know). Was decent in a short stint with the Abbotsford Heat last year.

James Martin - a sort of no-frills shutdown defenseman. Has decent skating ability, is reasonably smart and has good size. Played with Joey Leach for a good part of last season, and ended up forming a pretty good shutdown pair for the Ice. Actually might find his way onto the Heat roster at some point

C.J. Severyn - mobile grinding forward who is good defensively and has a lethal release on his shot. Has been playing in the NCAA since the flames drafted him in 2007. May play in the Heats' bottom six next season.

basically they're mostly undrafted WHL players

right on..

Like i said... i know nothing of the canucks rookies..

but Google is a friend of mine:

Craig Duininck, D 4/29/1993, 6'1, 200, Windsor Spitfires O: 66gms 7g 15a 22pts

Marc A Zanetti, D 1991-05-20, 6'0, 201, Ottawa 67's O: 55gms 7g 30a 37pts

Ian Saab, D Feb 8 1992, 6'1, 165, Lewiston MAINEiacs Q: 46gms 3g 5a 8pts

Johnathan Lessard, RW Feb 22 1991, 6'0, 180, Acadia-Bathurst Titan Q: 62gms 37g 29a 66pts

Michael Curtis, C Jan 26 1993, 6'0, 175, Belleville Bulls O: 58gms 9g 9a 18pts

Ryan Harrison, C Mar 31 1992, 5'10, 185, Everett Silvertips W: 29gms 8g 11a 19pts

Nathan Longpre, C Jun 16 1988, 6'0, 170, Robert Morris Univ: 33gms 14g 28a 42pts

Antoine Roussel, LW Nov 21 1989, 5'11, 192, 09-10 Chicoutimi Sagueneens Q: 68gms 24g 23a 47pts

Andrew Smith, RW, Oct 1 1991, 6'5, 225, Victoriaville Tigres Q: 50gms 1g 4a 5pts, 102 PIMs

Brendan Jensen, G Feb 6 1993, 6'1, 185, Vancouver Giants W: 30gms 8-13-1, 3.76 GAA, 0.875 Sv%

Karel ST. Laurent, G Dec 30 1990, 6'4, 181, Surrey Eagles BCHL: 32gms 19-12-1, 2.74, 0.916 Sv%: St. John Sea Dogs Q: 4-1-0, 2.95 GAA, 0.901 Sv%

Full list of Calgary's Prospect Training camp roster: FOUND HERE

General Canuck prospect team info: FOUND HERE

Full 5 team Youngstars Schedule (times are pacific):

Vancouver vs Edmonton Sept. 11 4:00pm

San Jose vs Calgary Sept. 11 7:30pm

Winnipeg vs San Jose Sept. 12 4:00pm

Calgary vs Vancouver Sept. 12 7:30pm

Winnipeg vs Edmonton Sept. 13 7:30pm

San Jose vs Vancouver Sept. 14 4:00pm

Edmonton vs Calgary Sept. 14 7:30pm

Winnipeg vs Vancouver Sept. 15 12:00pm

Last yr's results: FOUND HERE -scroll down

Interesting to see that the canuck prospects get 4 gms in, and the other 4 teams play 3. Advantage of hosting the tourny i guess.

REALLY a hard core hockey fan starving of action? some cool information:

Rogers Sportsnet will broadcast two games of the 2011 Canucks Young Stars Tournament while all eight games will be streamed live on Canucks.com and sportsnet.ca.

Rogers Sportsnet Pacific and Rogers Sportsnet West will broadcast games Sunday, September 11th beginning at 7:30 p.m. (PT) Vancouver Canucks versus the Edmonton Oilers prospects and Monday, September 12th beginning at 4:00 p.m. (PT) Vancouver Canucks versus the Calgary Flames prospects.

All games will be streamed live on Canucks.com and available on sportsnet.ca.

Some great news for the Canucks - Kesler and Raymond are ahead of schedule in their recoveries...

Kesler is expected to definitely play on opening night...

An interview with Kesler @ the NHL site today has him unsure about opening night. It sounds like that's the best scenario. He's spending the weekend in Vail to consult with the surgeon & have his hip tested.

San Jose vs Calgary Sept. 11 7:30pm

Calgary vs Vancouver Sept. 12 7:30pm

Edmonton vs Calgary Sept. 14 7:30pm

why don't they have every team play 4 games?? that way everyone plays each other once.

kind of lucky for the Flames that this tourney happens to include the only two prospect systems worse than theirs :lol: (Winnipeg and San Jose IMO if you care). As it is, it looks like the Flames will get 1 win again this time around (San Jose). They've got a shot at the Canucks game too, but it really depends on who plays.. I think Edmonton walks away with this one though.

why don't they have every team play 4 games?? that way everyone plays each other once.

kind of lucky for the Flames that this tourney happens to include the only two prospect systems worse than theirs :lol: (Winnipeg and San Jose IMO if you care). As it is, it looks like the Flames will get 1 win again this time around (San Jose). They've got a shot at the Canucks game too, but it really depends on who plays.. I think Edmonton walks away with this one though.

I was thinking the about the 3-4gm thing as well..

I'm thinking its just simply designed to slightly help the Canucks organization just a little more than the other clubs...

Extra game of evaluation for the Canucks execs.

Its probably the benefit they give themselves for price of hosting and organizing the tournament..

I'm guessing its the Canuck organization that's eating the majority of the cost of putting the thing on and promotion..

Otherwise I'm thinking it there would equal games for all if each organization was paying equal parts... But this event is specifically called the Vancouver Canucks Young Stars Tournament.

That's the only thing i can really think of...

Overall its an outstanding idea, and it was great seeing a number of other clubs around the league grouping up doing the same thing last yr... not sure who playing who around the league this yr tho...

An interview with Kesler @ the NHL site today has him unsure about opening night. It sounds like that's the best scenario. He's spending the weekend in Vail to consult with the surgeon & have his hip tested.

I haven't heard the Kesler interview yet...

I was referencing Lawerance Gilman's interview when i last posted.. I guess i need to erase the word "definitely" from the line you quoted, eh.

Edit: still haven't seen it... just read the article...

Highlight quotes...

"I'm telling the truth when I tell you I don't know. To be honest, right now if you ask me if I'll be ready for the start of the season, the way I feel right now I'd say no.

But things change just like that," he added with a snap of his fingers.

So the article basically downplays his progress, mentioning recent clearance for resitance on the bike..

but then he sneaks in the following:

"It's progressing and it's getting better," Kesler said. "I skated the other day and felt pretty good. Now it's just strengthening and making it 100 percent. It could be two weeks or it could be eight weeks, who knows?"

Sweet!!!

considering the timetable of recovery of the original injury and where he is now, he is doing incredibly well! Despite him feeling like crap now, it's not about playing right now... its about playing in 6 weeks...

It's great news when you peal away the drama of hows he's feeling about it right now in terms of the phase of recovery he's in... Typically skating isn't an option at this stage...

Gilman was obviously talking big picture... and big picture still looks promising.

I haven't heard the Kesler interview yet...

I was referencing Lawerance Gilman's interview when i last posted.. I guess i need to erase the word "definitely" from the line you quoted, eh.

Edit: still haven't seen it... just read the article...

Highlight quotes...

"I'm telling the truth when I tell you I don't know. To be honest, right now if you ask me if I'll be ready for the start of the season, the way I feel right now I'd say no.

But things change just like that," he added with a snap of his fingers.

So the article basically downplays his progress, mentioning recent clearance for resitance on the bike..

but then he sneaks in the following:

"It's progressing and it's getting better," Kesler said. "I skated the other day and felt pretty good. Now it's just strengthening and making it 100 percent. It could be two weeks or it could be eight weeks, who knows?"

Sweet!!!

considering the timetable of recovery of the original injury and where he is now, he is doing incredibly well! Despite him feeling like crap now, it's not about playing right now... its about playing in 6 weeks...

It's great news when you peal away the drama of hows he's feeling about it right now in terms of the phase of recovery he's in... Typically skating isn't an option at this stage...

Gilman was obviously talking big picture... and big picture still looks promising.

I wasn't saying he wouldn't be ready, just informing the prospect of that wasn't as rosy as the picture you painted.

He's saying he isn't sure so until he & his Dr. are so there is no certainty. There will probably be an update after the consultation & testing are done. Either way, he's gone to get his wife & kids to settle them in BC so he's ready when he gets the green light (& I don't mean the laser pencil :) ).

I noticed on the schedule that prior to each of the 3 games in Van, the Flames play the night before first (once in Edm, and twice at home - to Det and Col).

This is actually good because when they meet in the first round (with the #3 and 6 seeds), the Nucks will have a false sense of confidence that they can win at home against us.

I noticed on the schedule that prior to each of the 3 games in Van, the Flames play the night before first (once in Edm, and twice at home - to Det and Col).

This is actually good because when they meet in the first round (with the #3 and 6 seeds), the Nucks will have a false sense of confidence that they can win at home against us.

Built in excuse... Or built in advantage depending on perspective... I like..

Hodgson finally looks like he has NHL wheels...

Finally a healthy offseason where he was able to work on his one glaring weakness.

Can't wait to see how he looks vs NHL caliber players later this pre-season..

(and no, Edm's NHL regulars do not count).

I could watch it last night or even PVR it due to all the Thurs night shows the wifey was recording... but boxscore on ESPN indicates he was the 1st star... great 1st couple of steps for him this yr so far...

Good for Hodgson. He was royally screwed over by that back thing, but he seems to be over it now. If the Nucks weren't so deep at center, he could probably make the team this year. Maybe he still can if Kesler isn't ready for the season's start.. or if they need a middle rotation winger.

Loving Nicklas Jensen's game right now... he's gonna be a good one. Love his size and skating... doesn't look like an 18 yr old out there. being 6'2 202 helps in that regard.

I can see a 2011 draft Sven vs Nicklas debate coming soon to this thread in a year or two...

Now i'm wondering if we will see him lined up with some of the vets in 1 or 2 of the next 3 gms...

And if he does emerge as an good piece or option, does he get a couple NHL gms in also with Raymond out, maybe allowing Kesler or/and Malhotra a few extra days of healing... (doubt it, of course)

Never thought he would be given this kind of a look...

great timing for him with all the vets being hurt/rested for so many games.

Our last 3 1st rounders all looking good this pre-season: Hodgson, Schroeder, and Jensen.