The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Hockey_Canada1

Discussion & Debate Thread: Flames and Canucks

Loving Nicklas Jensen's game right now... he's gonna be a good one. Love his size and skating... doesn't look like an 18 yr old out there. being 6'2 202 helps in that regard.

I can see a 2011 draft Sven vs Nicklas debate coming soon to this thread in a year or two...

Now i'm wondering if we will see him lined up with some of the vets in 1 or 2 of the next 3 gms...

And if he does emerge as an good piece or option, does he get a couple NHL gms in also with Raymond out, maybe allowing Kesler or/and Malhotra a few extra days of healing... (doubt it, of course)

Never thought he would be given this kind of a look...

great timing for him with all the vets being hurt/rested for so many games.

Our last 3 1st rounders all looking good this pre-season: Hodgson, Schroeder, and Jensen.

The problem for Hodgson & Schroeder is both are normally centers & stuck behind Henrik Sedin & Kesler who are relatively young.

Both are smallish & need to play on the top 2 lines as neither look to become a feared checker. Unless moved to the wing they'll end up stuck in the same spot Schneider is. I like both but they'll either rot in the minors or need to be traded.

Jensen I haven't seen enough of to give an opinion.

- Kesler cleared for full contact yesterday... considering time of the yr he's probably a week or 2 out now. Great news.

Opening Day lineup for tonight will likely be:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Strum - Hodgson - Samuelsson

Higgens - Malhotra - Hansen

Volpatti - Lapierre - Weise

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Salo

Ballard - Alberts (last i heard Alberts was practicing in this spot over Tanev)

Luongo

- Kesler cleared for full contact yesterday... considering time of the yr he's probably a week or 2 out now. Great news.

Opening Day lineup for tonight will likely be:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Strum - Hodgson - Samuelsson

Higgens - Malhotra - Hansen

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Salo

Ballard - Alberts (last i heard Alberts was practicing in this spot over Tanev)

Luongo

Exceptionally weaker team from last year

Raymond >>> Strum (who is injury prone)

Hodgson <<< Kesler (Hodgson is barely ready for the NHL, He looked like crap against our farm team in the preseason)

Higgen <<< Torres (Higgen has no grit)

Albert + Ballard <<<<<<<<<< Ehrhoff (Biggest Canucks loss of its franchise - How can Canucks let their premier Defenceman go is the biggest question to me)

Don't get me wrong DL, you guys still have a decent team, just not Stanley Cup material anymore. Enjoy being the bottom part of the totem pole ... Calgary is going to take over now!

• Like 1

^ Color me shocked derf..

You disappeared before accepting the following bet from earlier in this thread derf...

you still willing to take the bet?

or are you pumping the flames tires just to make yourself feel better and don't actually believe the stuff you write....

naw.. let's go strictly points.... and i'll give you 3 different ways to win...

If Calgary's pt total is closer to 1st in the West than it is 10th...

OR

If Vancouver's pt total is closer to 10th than it is 1st...

OR

If Calgary finishes ahead of the Canucks...

You win... (three ways of winning.)

Only exception : I automatically win if Vancouver is actually is the #1 seed in the West again.

In order for me to win, the opposite of all 3 listed above have to occur...

i.e.

If Calgary's pt total is closer to 10th in the West than it is 1st...

AND

If Vancouver's pt total is closer to 1st than it is 10th...

AND

If Canucks finish ahead of the Flames...

OR

Vancouver wins the West.

Simple avatar bet...

if you win... i have to wear one you select for the duration of the playoffs.

If i will, you have to wear one i select for the duration of the off-season.

Difference in duration representing you having more chances to win.

^ Color me shocked derf..

You disappeared before accepting the following bet from earlier in this thread derf...

you still willing to take the bet?

or are you pumping the flames tires just to make yourself feel better and don't actually believe the stuff you write....

I didn't disappear, I was out of town on business and the place I rented, I didn't bother getting internet. Therefore I was MIA for a couple months.

I'd be willing and happy to take you up on that bet DL44!

• Like 1

The problem for Hodgson & Schroeder is both are normally centers & stuck behind Henrik Sedin & Kesler who are relatively young.

Both are smallish & need to play on the top 2 lines as neither look to become a feared checker. Unless moved to the wing they'll end up stuck in the same spot Schneider is. I like both but they'll either rot in the minors or need to be traded.

Jensen I haven't seen enough of to give an opinion.

I think Jensen is a much over rated first rounder. From my observations he looked more like a 3rd or 4th round pick of this year.

• Like 1

I just want to inform the Canuck fans there's a really good (& touching) article about Rick Rypien in today's Winnipeg Free Press on-line. Well worth a read.

I wasn't sure where to post this, but its hilarious!

Bouwmeester.png

Is that not the greatest face ever?

Is that not the greatest face ever?

almost as funny as "The Flames' hard-hitting defenseman Jay Bouwmeester...". Maybe we should have a Bouwmeester humour thread.

Heeeee`s Baa aaack....

Kesler to start vs NYR tomorrow...

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Higgens - Kesler - Hodgson

Hansen - Malhotra - Samuelsson

Sturm to sit. Tanev sent to the Wolves to get ice...

Starting to come together... Kesler will center our best forwards after the Sedins-Burrows (who are already in mid-season form)

Heeeee`s Baa aaack....

Kesler to start vs NYR tomorrow...

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Higgens - Kesler - Hodgson

Hansen - Malhotra - Samuelsson

Sturm to sit. Tanev sent to the Wolves to get ice...

Starting to come together... Kesler will center our best forwards after the Sedins-Burrows (who are already in mid-season form)

Sturm was a horrible signing by Gillis, Amateur GM move to sign an injury prone winger with no speed and washed up talent to 2+ Million contract!

Kesler = Vancouver's only bright spot. You guys are lucky you don't have a injury riddled team like us and you guys are barely ahead of us in the standings ... how sad! lol

Sturm was a horrible signing by Gillis, Amateur GM move to sign an injury prone winger with no speed and washed up talent to 2+ Million contract!

Kesler = Vancouver's only bright spot. You guys are lucky you don't have a injury riddled team like us and you guys are barely ahead of us in the standings ... how sad! lol

Injuries such as kesler's and raymond's ? and if having back to back Art Ross trophy winners isnt a bright spot, im not sure what is . . .

What award was it that the amateur GM Gillis won last yr?

and how have Calgary's signings worked out for them the last 2 yrs?

How are they looking this yr so far?

if Van is sad team... what does that say about teams behind them in the standings?

Feel free to point out Calgary's bright spots.. heh heh..

you know... bright spots like: the best thing about this year's roster is they will mostly be gone next yr as UFA's... and so on..

Nicklas Hagman? Oh wait, the Flames gave up actual assets to get him.

What award was it that the amateur GM Gillis won last yr?

and how have Calgary's signings worked out for them the last 2 yrs?

How are they looking this yr so far?

Well Feaster just jumped on this year and already made an awesome value signing in Tanguay - 3million for a point/game type of player. How many of those do you have in Vancouver? ahhahahaha none! I rest my case.

Gillis might have won it last year (By a fluke) but signings like Sturm aren't going to get him there again. It's signings like Tanguay which make Feaster a way better GM than Mike Gillis.

if Van is sad team... what does that say about teams behind them in the standings?

Feel free to point out Calgary's bright spots.. heh heh..

you know... bright spots like: the best thing about this year's roster is they will mostly be gone next yr as UFA's... and so on..

Calgary's barely behind Canucks in the Standings and don't forget the number of key injuries we have down the middle. Calgary has many bright spots, Backlund, Baertchi, Brodie, our future prospects are so much brighter than the Canucks. Hodgson looks like a joke right now and that's suppose to your top round prospect! hahahaha I can laugh for years on out.

• Like 1

Gotta love the media in Vancouver. I've never seen a team respond so directly to an article in the media.

Basically, the Vancouver Province published an editorial saying that the Canucks should trade Luongo for Lecavalier, straight up (sounds like a pretty dumb trade to me). Gillis got pretty upset and fired back. It's been back and forth. Pass it to Bulis has a pretty funny account of it all (here is the link). Lol.

Please make this trade, just to make this even more funny. :D

Gotta love the media in Vancouver. I've never seen a team respond so directly to an article in the media.

Basically, the Vancouver Province published an editorial saying that the Canucks should trade Luongo for Lecavalier, straight up (sounds like a pretty dumb trade to me). Gillis got pretty upset and fired back. It's been back and forth. Pass it to Bulis has a pretty funny account of it all (here is the link). Lol.

Please make this trade, just to make this even more funny. :D

Lyle Richardson has a link to the editorial in THN.

That & Gillis getting his knickers in a knot are both funny.

Thanks Bud.

^ Hack article by a special ed editor.. media doing its thang again.

^ Hack article by a special ed editor.. media doing its thang again.

Gillis should not be falling for it though, you have to admit him losing it is funny.

(I'm talking about the radio interview)

Gillis should not be falling for it though, you have to admit him losing it is funny.

He's losing it because he knows how many mistakes he's made already.

1. Signing Sturm to a ridiculous amount of money.

2. Shipping Sturm out in 6 games - way to make free agents want to join a douche of a organization.

3. Trading for Knocked Over Phone Booth

4. Getting Keith Ballard and over paying the guy.

5. Drafting a bunch of nobodies

6. Not working on a Luongo deal to ship an over-rated goalie out of the city. Who's never really won anything in life - The gold medal doesn't count for him, I can win a gold medal playing for Canada with the roster he had in front of him.

All in all, Gillis just can't do the amazing things Feaster has in Feasters short period of time.

• Like 1

Well Feaster just jumped on this year and already made an awesome value signing in Tanguay - 3million for a point/game type of player. How many of those do you have in Vancouver? ahhahahaha none! I rest my case.

Back to back Art Ross trophies without even scoring a point/game? Now THATS impressive.

Can you blame him for sticking up for his players? It's gotten out of control in Vancouver.

6. Not working on a Luongo deal to ship an over-rated goalie out of the city. Who's never really won anything in life - The gold medal doesn't count for him, I can win a gold medal playing for Canada with the roster he had in front of him.

Martin Brodeur couldn't.