The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Hockey_Canada1

Discussion & Debate Thread: Flames and Canucks

Looks like the Flames outclass the Canucks once again. While the Canucks thought they were being classy by letting the Ducks score a couple late in the game, the Flames one-upped them but not only letting the Sens score after beating them 3-0, but letting them come all the way back and win!

Definitely the classiest team in the league.

The stats.... 40 game mark (season's halfway mark for the flames)..

Canucks - (Flames)

10 gms: 4-5-1, 9 pts. 3rd in the div, 10th in the W, 20th overall. (Cal: last in the div, 14th in the W, 26th overall)

20 gms: 10-9-1, 21 pts. 3rd in the div, 11th in the W, 21st overall. (8-11-1, last in div, 13th in W, 27th overall)

30 gms: 18-10-2, 38 pts. 2nd in the div, 5th in the W, 7th overall. ( 14-14-2, 4th in div, 11th, in W, 23rd overall)

40 gms: 24-13-3, 51 pts. 1st in the div, 2nd in the West, 3rd overall. (18-18-5, 4th in div, 12th in W, 22nd overall)

Goals/gm

10 gms: 2.40, 19th (20th)

20 gms: 2.90, 9th (27th)

30 gms: 3.23, 3rd (23rd)

40 gms: 3.25, 3rd (25th)

GA/gm

10 gms: 2.80, 22nd (20th)

20 gms: 2.80, 18th (17th)

30 gms: 2.37, 7th (16th)

40 gms: 2.40, 7th (13th)

PP%

10 gms: 19.2, 10th (12th)

20 gms: 26.7, 1st (22th)

30 gms: 25.6, 1st (22nd)

40 gms: 23.9 1st, (18th)

PPG

10 gms: 9, 4th (20th)

20 gms: 24, 1st (25th)

30 gms: 33, 1st (24th)

40 gms: 37, 1st (17th)

PK%

10 gms: 86.0, 12th (17th)

20 gms: 85.4, 10th (23th)

30 gms: 86.6, 6th (17th)

40 gms: 86.0, 7th (16th)

PPGA

10 gms: 6, 13th (11th)

20 gms: 12, 10th (18th)

30 gms: 16, 8th (13th)

40 gms: 22, 9th (16th)

5-on-5 Ratio

10 gms: 0.75 27th (13th)

20 gms: 0.80, 24th (20th)

30 gms: 1.12, 9th (16th)

40 gms: 1.21, 6th (21st)

Plus/Minus

10 gms: -7, 29th (25th)

20 gms: -10, 25th (22nd)

30 gms: +9, 7th (19th)

40 gms: +19, 5th (24th)

Faceoffs

10 gms: 52.2, 6th (25th)

20 gms: 52.3, 4th (30th)

30 gms: 52.4, 4th (30th)

40 gms: 52.2, 3rd (30th)

SoG

10 gms: 33.3, 6th (21st)

20 gms: 32.8, 6th (25th)

30 gms: 32.3, 6th (22nd)

40 gms: 31.8, 6th (24th)

SoGA

10 gms: 26.8, 5th (15th)

20 gms: 28.6, 10th (18th)

30 gms: 28.8, 8th (13th)

40 gms: 29.9, 13th (15th)

Hits

10 gms: 227, 6th (25th)

20 gms: 430, 16th (27th)

30 gms: 657, 14th (27th)

40 gms: 889, 10th (22nd)

Blocked Shots

10 gms: 106, 26th (17th)

20 gms: 208, 30th (11th)

30 gms: 350, 28th (13th)

40 gms: 463, 28th) (14th)

Giveaways

10 gms: 71, 18th (29th)

20 gms: 130, 6th, (29th)

30 gms: 199, 8th, (28th)

40 gms: 271, 10th (26th)

Takeaways

10 gms: 76, 6th (11th)

20 gms: 128, 22th (4th)

30 gms: 190, 21st (4th)

40 gms: 245, 20th (4th)

Numbers continue to reflect what we all know about the 2 teams at this point.

-One's climbing back into the league's elite.. now sit 3rd overall a single point back of the Hawks for 1st in the Western division...

-The other a middling 500 team, mediocre in most areas statistically. Still looking for some traction in midst of their longest road trip of the yr... 2 wins in their last 10 on the road.. Can't get back to home ice fast enough. But will they be able to easily flick a switch back into the win column? hmmm... i wonder.. with all their injuries as well..

Interesting to see...

Vancouver -10 in their first 20 gms... extremely classy.

+29 in their last 20 games... not very classy.

Love the play of Cody Hodgson and his production lately.

Really finding his groove recently... finding his role in the NHL.

Been really proud of how effective he's been able to be... and as his experience level increases, so has his scoring rate..

Oct: 11gms, 2g 1a 3 pts

Nov: 13gms, 2g 6a 8 pts

Dec: 15gms, 4g 5a 9 pts

After getting 4g,11pts in his initial 24... he has 5g,11 pts in his last 16 gms... 3g,7 pts in his last 8...

He's showing a nice little progression curve... great to see out of a rookie.

Just really a nice boost of secondary scoring from the 3rd line... and for the 2nd unit PP.

^ make that 6g, 13pts in his last 17... 4g 9pts, in his last 9.

VIGNEAULT BEHIND BENCH FOR NHL ALL-STAR GAME IF CANUCKS WIN

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=384606

-Another AV vs Julian matchup.. Will be interesting to see if Julian ends up coaching any canucks... or if AV ends up coaching any Bruins... there should be a handful of each that earn spots... and they all won't be on the same team.

Will they overlook the Panthers after a huge Saturday win? I think this news as well as Luongo back vs his old team should be enough to keep em focused...

^ make that 6g, 13pts in his last 17... 4g 9pts, in his last 9.

VIGNEAULT BEHIND BENCH FOR NHL ALL-STAR GAME IF CANUCKS WIN

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=384606

-Another AV vs Julian matchup.. Will be interesting to see if Julian ends up coaching any canucks... or if AV ends up coaching any Bruins... there should be a handful of each that earn spots... and they all won't be on the same team.

Will they overlook the Panthers after a huge Saturday win? I think this news as well as Luongo back vs his old team should be enough to keep em focused...

Don't forget they'll be playing against the traded Samuelson which has made Gillis look stupid after trading for knocked over phone booth.

Don't forget they'll be playing against the traded Samuelson which has made Gillis look stupid after trading for knocked over phone booth.

Yeah, stupid.

Since the trade:

Samuelsson - 1 goal, 5 assists

Booth - 5 goals, 7 assists

Is it the next win or win after in which Luongo will become the Canucks all-time winning goaltender??

that 211 is looming soon...

======

Good to see Derf keeping his head up after his Flames got blasted 9-0... thought that may of done ya in...

What's your feel of the Flames this yr? or the bet which could see you leave and come back as bernard16? Will the Flames finish better than 10th in the West or not? Will they make the playoffs? Will they catch the Canucks?

What's your observational skills telling you?

Is it the next win or win after in which Luongo will become the Canucks all-time winning goaltender??

that 211 is looming soon...

======

Good to see Derf keeping his head up after his Flames got blasted 9-0... thought that may of done ya in...

What's your feel of the Flames this yr? or the bet which could see you leave and come back as bernard16? Will the Flames finish better than 10th in the West or not? Will they make the playoffs? Will they catch the Canucks?

What's your observational skills telling you?

1 win to tie, 2 to pass. Currently at 210.

Cody 'The Bust' Hogdson!

Loving the rookie big time. His line shut down and quiet for the majority of the game, but comes thru massively on his lone prime chance tonight. Finishes January very nicely.

Oct: 11gms, 2g 1a 3 pts

Nov: 13gms, 2g 6a 8 pts

Dec: 15gms, 4g 5a 9 pts

Jan: 11gms, 6g 4a 10 pts

50gms, 14g 16a 30 pts

8g 7a 15pts over his last 18 games. That is a solid sample size...

Solid solid contribution. 4th in rookie scoring.

vs

Backlund - the flames comparable..

Rookie: 73gms, 10g 15a 25 pts (Rookie rank: 20th)

This yr: 36gms, 4g 6a 10 pts

Career: 132gms, 15g 30a 45 pts

Just as a follow up on Alexander Edler after a question that was asked in another thread.

Wally asked why despite great numbers on a great team that he had an average +1 rating. I couldn;t think of a reason on the spot so I decided to do some digging.

Edler, like any 25 year-old defencemen, has the odd game where he isn't up to snuff. He may have a couple in 1 week or go a month without one, but they are there once in a while. It seems that whenever he has one of these games, his +/- gets punished regularly.

He has been a -2 or worse 7 times (once -3) yet he has been a -1 only 5 times. So it seems like it when it rains, it pours for Edler when he is a minus player. On the other side, he has been a +2 of better 5 times, and a +1 10 times.

Another interested stat. Edler has had 9 multiple point games (including 2 3-point games) but is a collective +7 in those games despite scoring 20 points.

Not sure exactly what to make out of these numbers, I'll let others take a crack at their own theories.

But I really love the season Edler is having. He is finally playing a physical game on a nightly basis. It was probably the major knock on him a couple years ago despite he size (6'3 220). He showed glimpses of it in the playoffs 2 years ago, but then was inconsistent with it last season. He picked it up again in the playoffs last season and he really stepped it up since.

He is having the kind of season that Keith Yandle had last year. Before last year everyone knew Keith Yandle was a good defenceman. He could put up decent points and play decent minutes. A top 2-3 on any team. Then last year was his announcement to the hockey world that he was more than that. I think it's going to be the same for Edler. He was looking like ti last year with 33 points in 51 games before his back surgery but he still wasn't playing the complete game he is now.

I'd love to see him get some Norris love. Outside chance to get a nomination but I could see him being top 5-6 in voting.

Just as a follow up on Alexander Edler after a question that was asked in another thread.

Wally asked why despite great numbers on a great team that he had an average +1 rating. I couldn;t think of a reason on the spot so I decided to do some digging.

Edler, like any 25 year-old defencemen, has the odd game where he isn't up to snuff. He may have a couple in 1 week or go a month without one, but they are there once in a while. It seems that whenever he has one of these games, his +/- gets punished regularly.

He has been a -2 or worse 7 times (once -3) yet he has been a -1 only 5 times. So it seems like it when it rains, it pours for Edler when he is a minus player. On the other side, he has been a +2 of better 5 times, and a +1 10 times.

Another interested stat. Edler has had 9 multiple point games (including 2 3-point games) but is a collective +7 in those games despite scoring 20 points.

Not sure exactly what to make out of these numbers, I'll let others take a crack at their own theories.

But I really love the season Edler is having. He is finally playing a physical game on a nightly basis. It was probably the major knock on him a couple years ago despite he size (6'3 220). He showed glimpses of it in the playoffs 2 years ago, but then was inconsistent with it last season. He picked it up again in the playoffs last season and he really stepped it up since.

He is having the kind of season that Keith Yandle had last year. Before last year everyone knew Keith Yandle was a good defenceman. He could put up decent points and play decent minutes. A top 2-3 on any team. Then last year was his announcement to the hockey world that he was more than that. I think it's going to be the same for Edler. He was looking like ti last year with 33 points in 51 games before his back surgery but he still wasn't playing the complete game he is now.

I'd love to see him get some Norris love. Outside chance to get a nomination but I could see him being top 5-6 in voting.

Cool Don... Thanks for taking the time with this post. I hate the nucks (you understand:P) but I think Edler is a stud. I think he's gonna demand a hefty contract, and doubt we will see the "home town discount" on this one.... I could see him making up to 6mil per... He's only 25, and has the total package. Defence, Offence (booming shot), Physical, Big hits...

I see him more 7 - 9 in Norris votes (as of right now) but could see this guy developing into a steady top 5-7 D in the league.

Cool Don... Thanks for taking the time with this post. I hate the nucks (you understand:P) but I think Edler is a stud. I think he's gonna demand a hefty contract, and doubt we will see the "home town discount" on this one.... I could see him making up to 6mil per... He's only 25, and has the total package. Defence, Offence (booming shot), Physical, Big hits...

I see him more 7 - 9 in Norris votes (as of right now) but could see this guy developing into a steady top 5-7 D in the league.

What makes you say that?

I think the Canucks in the last number of years have proven they treat there players very well, and it has shown in the number of below market contracts that have been signed.

Burrows, Kesler, Sedins, Salo, Luongo (in terms of cap hit), Higgins, Lapierre, Hamhuis come to mind.

You find me that many player on any other team that has that many players signed to below market value contracts. I don;t think Edler will be any different.

It's so hard to say with a season and a half before it happens, but I don't see $6M. $4.5-$5 million range.

What makes you say that?

I think the Canucks in the last number of years have proven they treat there players very well, and it has shown in the number of below market contracts that have been signed.

Burrows, Kesler, Sedins, Salo, Luongo (in terms of cap hit), Higgins, Lapierre, Hamhuis come to mind.

You find me that many player on any other team that has that many players signed to below market value contracts. I don;t think Edler will be any different.

It's so hard to say with a season and a half before it happens, but I don't see $6M. $4.5-$5 million range.

I'll try and pull up the article I read on espn insider.... If I find it (might take me some time) ill copy and paste it here.. Erhoff went for the money

What makes you say that?

Kesler may look like a home town discount now after scoring 40 goals, but prior to signing he had 26 and 25 goal seasons. At the time of signing, $5m was definitely at the high end of expectations and market.

Also, Burrows had 51 points before signing his contract. He signs for $2M then gets put on the Sedin line just when they go from being 70-80 pt guys up to 100 pt guys. No home town discount there, just fortuitous timing.

There was arguably a home town discount for the Sedins, but the Nucks have kept them together for their entire careers and a home town dscount seems almost obligatory on their part.

To suggest Luongo took a home town discount is pretty funny IMO.

Your post is a pretty blatant example of rear-view mirror analysis.

^ disagree with everything except the Luongo contract...

Kesler and Burrows were definitely considered below market bargains in our market at the time of signings.

But obviously not to many rival fans like yourself... but that's no surprise.

Kesler may look like a home town discount now after scoring 40 goals, but prior to signing he had 26 and 25 goal seasons. At the time of signing, $5m was definitely at the high end of expectations and market.

Also, Burrows had 51 points before signing his contract. He signs for $2M then gets put on the Sedin line just when they go from being 70-80 pt guys up to 100 pt guys. No home town discount there, just fortuitous timing.

There was arguably a home town discount for the Sedins, but the Nucks have kept them together for their entire careers and a home town dscount seems almost obligatory on their part.

Kesler is probably market or a bit under. If he had hit the market it's hard to predict what $s would have been thrown @ him but he's fair value in the 5-5.5 range.

Burrows is fair market value @ the time of re-signing.

Sedins definitely came in as a bargain to ensure they spend their careers together. Either would fetch more on the market but opted for staying together in a place they are comfortable.

Luongo is the Vancouver equivalent of the Bryz contract in Philly. Both GMs would like a do-over on those.

Just my opinion.

Kesler and Burrows were definitely considered below market bargains in our market at the time of signings.

I think telling yourself that Keslers and Burrows contracts are value signings makes you sleep easier at night.

Kesler's contract as stated by CWorthy was overpriced initially. How many 5 million/season contracts are given to someone who just scored around 25goals the last 2 seasons. Not very many. Last year it made his contract look good but he back to being over paid this year so it sort of evens out.

Burrows was a 3rd line player and signed for 3 line type salary. He only lucked out because the Canucks didn't have a 1st line winger to play with the sisters. So really his contract was fair as he's not really talented.

It's funny how Canucks fans just have to justify anything and everything to make their team look better.

A good friend is a Nuck season ticket holder (otherwise a good guy) and he and I debated extensively on Kesler prior to his contract. I also followed it on CDC. Most Nuck fans felt he would sign for under $5m - especially those who were assuming a home town discount. I predicted $5M (nailing it) and took a fair bit of abuse for my prediction.

Burrows had done little before that contract. As a Nuck fan, you may have looking at potential. But his contract wasn't unreasonable.

I think telling yourself that Keslers and Burrows contracts are value signings makes you sleep easier at night.

Kesler's contract as stated by CWorthy was overpriced initially. How many 5 million/season contracts are given to someone who just scored around 25goals the last 2 seasons. Not very many. Last year it made his contract look good but he back to being over paid this year so it sort of evens out.

Burrows was a 3rd line player and signed for 3 line type salary. He only lucked out because the Canucks didn't have a 1st line winger to play with the sisters. So really his contract was fair as he's not really talented.

It's funny how Canucks fans just have to justify anything and everything to make their team look better.

If it makes YOU feel better, then yes. They were grossly overpaid in order to force them to remain in Vancouver.

How many 5 million/season contracts are given to someone who just scored around 25goals the last 2 seasons. Not very many.

The $5mil/yr club: Riberio, Plekanec, Gionta, Havlat, Bergeron, Rolston

If you think Kesler is overpaid this yr... i'd hate to imagine what you think of Iginla.

If it makes YOU feel better, then yes. They were grossly overpaid in order to force them to remain in Vancouver.

The $5mil/yr club: Riberio, Plekanec, Gionta, Havlat, Bergeron, Rolston

If you think Kesler is overpaid this yr... i'd hate to imagine what you think of Iginla.

I never said anything about them being GROSSLY overpaid... just Kesler being slightly overpaid and Burrows got a fair contract at signing which is turning out to be a bonus for you now because you don't have any legitimate 1st line wingers to play with Sedin.

Iggy has 18 goals this year, on pace to close to 30 if not 30.

I think he might just be slightly over paid but his 6 years prior, we were getting value from him every single year. Does it not trouble you that Kesler has plateaued last year and he is still going to get 5 million until 2016? Keslers production is starting to decline, I know this is something hard to swallow but you go on keep thinking you are getting good value for him because that's what the biased Vancouver Fan wants to think!

i will keep the delusional thought that Kesler is good value, thank you.

Completely off topic now:

Do you think Kesler will pass Iginla in pts this yr despite Kesler's sharp decline this season after his plateau last yr?

The stats.... 50 game mark

Canucks - (Flames)

10 gms: 4-5-1, 9 pts. 3rd in the div, 10th in the W, 20th overall. (Cal: last in the div, 14th in the W, 26th overall)

20 gms: 10-9-1, 21 pts. 3rd in the div, 11th in the W, 21st overall. (8-11-1, last in div, 13th in W, 27th overall)

30 gms: 18-10-2, 38 pts. 2nd in the div, 5th in the W, 7th overall. ( 14-14-2, 4th in div, 11th, in W, 23rd overall)

40 gms: 24-13-3, 51 pts. 1st in the div, 2nd in the West, 3rd overall. (18-18-5, 4th in div, 12th in W, 22nd overall)

50 gms: 31-15-4, 66 pts. 1st in the div, 2nd in the West, 4th Overall. (23-22-4, 4th, 11th, 21st)

Goals/gm

10 gms: 2.40, 19th (20th)

20 gms: 2.90, 9th (27th)

30 gms: 3.23, 3rd (23rd)

40 gms: 3.25, 3rd (25th)

50 gms: 3.16, 3th (26th)

GA/gm

10 gms: 2.80, 22nd (20th)

20 gms: 2.80, 18th (17th)

30 gms: 2.37, 7th (16th)

40 gms: 2.40, 7th (13th)

50 gms: 2.40, 7th (13th)

PP%

10 gms: 19.2, 10th (12th)

20 gms: 26.7, 1st (22th)

30 gms: 25.6, 1st (22nd)

40 gms: 23.9, 1st (18th)

50 gms: 23.0, 1st (15th)

PPG

10 gms: 9, 4th (20th)

20 gms: 24, 1st (25th)

30 gms: 33, 1st (24th)

40 gms: 37, 1st (17th)

50 gms: 44, 2nd (20th)

PK%

10 gms: 86.0, 12th (17th)

20 gms: 85.4, 10th (23th)

30 gms: 86.6, 6th (17th)

40 gms: 86.0, 7th (16th)

50 gms: 85.6, 6th (11th)

PPGA

10 gms: 6, 13th (11th)

20 gms: 12, 10th (18th)

30 gms: 16, 8th (13th)

40 gms: 22, 9th (16th)

50 gms: 27, 9th (10th)

5-on-5 Ratio

10 gms: 0.75 27th (13th)

20 gms: 0.80, 24th (20th)

30 gms: 1.12, 9th (16th)

40 gms: 1.21, 6th (21st)

50 gms: 1.18, 6th (24th)

Plus/Minus

10 gms: -7, 29th (25th)

20 gms: -10, 25th (22nd)

30 gms: +9, 7th (19th)

40 gms: +19, 5th (24th)

50 gms: +21, 6th (24th)

Faceoffs

10 gms: 52.2, 6th (25th)

20 gms: 52.3, 4th (30th)

30 gms: 52.4, 4th (30th)

40 gms: 52.2, 3rd (30th)

50 gms: 51.9, 6th (30th)

SoG

10 gms: 33.3, 6th (21st)

20 gms: 32.8, 6th (25th)

30 gms: 32.3, 6th (22nd)

40 gms: 31.8, 6th (24th)

50 gms: 31.5, 7th (25th)

SoGA

10 gms: 26.8, 5th (15th)

20 gms: 28.6, 10th (18th)

30 gms: 28.8, 8th (13th)

40 gms: 29.9, 13th (15th)

50 gms: 30.4, 19th (16th)

Hits

10 gms: 227, 6th (25th)

20 gms: 430, 16th (27th)

30 gms: 657, 14th (27th)

40 gms: 889, 10th (22nd)

50 gms: 1124, 16th (24th)

Blocked Shots

10 gms: 106, 26th (17th)

20 gms: 208, 30th (11th)

30 gms: 350, 28th (13th)

40 gms: 463, 28th (14th)

50 gms: 588, 29th (17th)

Giveaways

10 gms: 71, 18th (29th)

20 gms: 130, 6th, (29th)

30 gms: 199, 8th, (28th)

40 gms: 271, 10th (26th)

50 gms: 352, 13th (26th)

Takeaways

10 gms: 76, 6th (11th)

20 gms: 128, 22th (4th)

30 gms: 190, 21st (4th)

40 gms: 245, 20th (4th)

50 gms: 319, 19th (4th)

Status quo for the most part for the Canucks.. January felt like just a poor month.. the PP was sub-par, and the Sedins were 'slumping' by their standards... but they end it 7-2-2. Strength of secondary scoring and goaltending. Second line is finally looking like a second line with Booth back and Kesler firing the puck again.

Cody Hogdson is the Rookie of the Month! so congrats to him.... that must really chap derf's hide.

The 5th 10 gm segment and the flames finally creep one gm over 500. They will have to pick up the pace to get in... unless the teams around em keep faltering as well.

I'm liking Dallas for the 8th seed tho at this point.

and senor_incendiarse.. derf is the only one yapping in these threads... i would get waaaay too bored without anyone to talk to..

I'll try and pull up the article I read on espn insider.... If I find it (might take me some time) ill copy and paste it here.. Erhoff went for the money

Yup Ehrhoff did, but he wasn't drafted by the Canucks and was with the team only 2 years. Edler has been a Canuck since the day Thomas Gradin found him playing in a tier 3 junior league in Sweden in his draft year.

Many people on here even admitted Kesler would have gotten more if he was a UFA.

$2M for 51 points is average? Find me any other player scoring over 50 for $2M not on an ELC. He was actually put on the Sedins line in February of that year.

Luongo is like the 8th highest paid goalie in the league. Not a discount?

Why don't you 2 stick to pm's its annoying reading your elementary arguments, or better yet ignore each other.

I enjoy it. If you don't maybe YOU should use the ignore function.

Luongo is like the 8th highest paid goalie in the league. Not a discount?

1) that's based on a cap hit that drags out until he is 73 years old.

2) few outside on Nuckland would rank him significantly higher than 8th best and many would rank him lower, but regardless, he is not substantially better than his pay. I could see if he was indisputably one of the top 3 goalies in the league and getting paid 8th - that would be a discount.