The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Flutie retires

http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/national/20...retirement.html

What a shame. At the age of 43, you'd think his best years are still ahead of him.

In all seriousness, he was a great player, at least in the CFL. I still feel some bitterness toward him for the way he left the Stamps. CFL players weren't supposed to jump ship for big money in those days.

Great career, shame to see him go to waste in the NFL where he would have been accepted if he had decided to stay in the CFL. Great player one of the best, I will forever remember the throw in his college days, it was the perfect hail mary play.

Probably the most exciting player I've ever watched in a Stamps uniform. Thanks Doug, for some great memories in the early 90's and for bringing the cup back to Calgary after a prolonged absence in '92.

I've always been a bigger Garcia fan than a Flutie fan for some reason (probably because Flutie was somewhat of a traitor when he left for Toronto.) Nonetheless, i still liked Flutie and have always cheered for him in his NFL days. I think he really got jobbed in Buffalo after he proved he could play but the Bills still went out and brought in Rob Johnson to mess things up. Flutie and Eric Moulds was one of the best combinations in football but for whatever reason, the Bills decided to go another direction. It really was too bad. After those seasons in Buffalo, age finally did catch up with Flutie and his chance had passed.

Thanks for the memories Flutie. I'll always remember you as a Stamp first.

The greatest player the CFL has ever seen. Period.

He made the game fun to watch. He said it himself at the press conference, when talking about why he played for so long, and said something along the lines of 'I'd play in the NFL, the CFL, the backyard, I don't care; I just want to play.' He was the small guy you wanted to root for, and it's tough to find reasons not to like him.

Class act and a great career. Good on ya Dougie.

You guys need to get your facts straight. He did not bolt for more money in Toronto. Larry Ryckman went bankrupt, and couldn't pay Flutie his million dollars. Ryckman was about to go into receivership, and he also had the Alberta Securities Commission investigating him for stock manipulation.

If your boss couldn't pay you, would you stick around?